Page 488 of 533 FirstFirst ... 388438478484485486487488489490491492498 ... LastLast
Results 9,741 to 9,760 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    That's essentially why I think we can't play more than 2 of them despite how good they are.
    You're totally right. I was playtesting it as a 1 of in place of my spirit of the labrynth because spirit has been a little underwhelming for me lately. It was
    conflicting poorly with my palace jailer and sword of fire and ice. I think 1 is definitely supportable, even without equipment on it the utility is amazing and 2 may be possible but harder to protect both if you draw them.
    I DID also have some people laugh at the card saying that it cost too much mana to use, but by the time we use it we have the mana even through ports and wastelands. After it singlehandedly won a few matches they weren't as against it. After about the 3rd or 4th game I started viewing it as more of the same situation as bouncing and replaying a batterskull repeatedly but for less mana.

Hey guys! I just did challenges during the SCG Con. Went 1-1-2, 3-0-1, and was 1-2 when I dropped to get a ride home.
    1st challenge drew against Enchantress, and Mono-white D&T, beat Aggro Loam 2-0, then lost to Eldrazi 0-2.

2nd challenge I won all three matches 2-0. Match 1 had a 35 minute game 1 against RW Taxes, then beat him in 5 minutes in game 2. Was able to Leonin/flicker away his Jitte, and later took his SoWaP. Beat Mono Red Prison, without much trouble. Made use of Vial to drop threats while keeping him off of mana. Over the two games he only dealt 2 damage to me from a singular Fiery Confluence. Revoker naming Chandra with SoFaI attached was and all-star. New Karn was interesting. He has a Blood Moon, Chandra that’s revokered, New Karn, 1 Thopter token, a construct made by Karn and a bunch of Lands. He ticks up showing a Bridge and a mountain. I give him the mountain, and he tucks the bridge under Karn. I Cataclysm on my turn. He keeps Blood Moon, the Thopter, The Construct, and a mountain. I keep my Revoker SoFaI and an island. I swing in with the Revoker and it trades with the construct and Thopter. I play a Plains and pass. He draws and passes, I draw a Plains and pass. He draws and passes, draw a crusader. Play it, he draws then concedes.
    I quickly won against RB Reanimator. Opened Karskas, Vial and pass. He goes off and and exhumes Iona, and then realizes I had a Karakas on board. I then wasteland drop mom with Vial, drop Thalia with Vial and some Phyrexian revokers. Game 2 I was able to disrupt him a bit. Had a revoker down naming Griselbrand, and a containment priest. He has a Griselbrand. I topdeck a Flickerwisp and wipe away the Griselbrand and it’s gone. He topdecks a massacre, and my boardstate is wiped. He then Thoughtseizes me and takes a Recruiter, and sees I only have a wasteland in hand. He passes, I topdeck a recruiter, put it into play with Vial, get Thalia, Vial her in, wasteland him, pass, he draws and concedes. Shows hand of 2 rituals, petal, and 2 chancellor of the Annex. He was unable to get the Vial and chancellor out on the same turn and was staring at lethal.

Challenge 3 I open with a strong win against OmniSneak 2-0. Game 1 I’m able to Thalia, port and wasteland him out of the game, he’s able to get a Sneak Attack in play, but without any red floating. I drop a revoker and he scoops. Game 2 Spirit of the Labyrinth is a workhouse. Keeps my opponent from drawing from Preordain and a Griselbrand. We’re in a stalemate. Eventually I’m able to Flickerwisp/CP away the Griselbrand then he wishes and Pyroclasms the board, I get a Karakas down and topdeck a Beater that finishes him off. Match 2 lost to W D&T 0-2. Never saw a vial and had a mediocre 6 that turned awful. Match 3 I keep a hand thinking, “This is an awesome hand, as long as he’s not playing Burn. It was Burn. Game 2 he scoops on turn 4 after I have both Jitte and B-Skull on line. Game 3 I get strangled out by Vortexes.

Overall I think I did alright. I’ve only been playing D&T 2 months, sparingly. Can see why Serra Avenger is awesome. Also liked Spirit of the Labyrinth even though I only played 1 blue deck. 3/1 beater for 2 can still get work in.

My list was the same as previously posted, except:
    MD:
    -1 Revoker
    -1 Crusader
    +2 Serra Avenger

SB:
    -1 Manriki
    -1 SoWaP
    -1 Gideon, AoZ
    +2 Cataclysm
    +1 Leonin Relic-Warder

Leonin was a beast with Flickerwisp, was able to flicker combo with him at least 3 times. Cataclysmed the Mono Red Prison to great effect.
    Last edited by jwl3gg; 06-12-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThermalLeech View Post
    You're totally right. I was playtesting it as a 1 of in place of my spirit of the labrynth because spirit has been a little underwhelming for me lately. It was
    conflicting poorly with my palace jailer and sword of fire and ice. I think 1 is definitely supportable, even without equipment on it the utility is amazing and 2 may be possible but harder to protect both if you draw them.
    I DID also have some people laugh at the card saying that it cost too much mana to use, but by the time we use it we have the mana even through ports and wastelands. After it singlehandedly won a few matches they weren't as against it. After about the 3rd or 4th game I started viewing it as more of the same situation as bouncing and replaying a batterskull repeatedly but for less mana.

Why would it matter if you could only protect 1 at a time? You're still getting value if you can protect 1 and the other one is clocking. If it was gray ogre in your hand instead while you had active brightling, assuming you had mana to cast and protect 1, you wouldnt not play it cause the gray ogre no protection. Having multiple lifelinkers is almost always going to be relevant in delver matchups as well to make use of them in multiples as well.

On the topic of it being mana intensive, the thing is, it's another thing to do with Port late in the game against fair decks when Port loses some of its effectiveness due to the opponent having a large number of lands on the table, or has a Leovold in play. Every Plains is a Karakas, every Port is a pump in the late stage of games.

Sep 2010
    MNL

Anybody still rocking Shalai?
    Cockatrice: p00nm4n

Quote Originally Posted by mrjumbo03 View Post
    In my draw against D&T opponent dropped Shalai, was very frustrating. What’s your take on Shalai?

Quote Originally Posted by Moctzal View Post
    On the topic of it being mana intensive, the thing is, it's another thing to do with Port late in the game against fair decks when Port loses some of its effectiveness due to the opponent having a large number of lands on the table, or has a Leovold in play. Every Plains is a Karakas, every Port is a pump in the late stage of games.
    You can also minus to 0 power then swing under a Bridge vs Mono Red.

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3gg View Post
    Gross. This card is fun on a bun!

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

before we could on do this with jite counters on like a stoneforge mystic. This was another draw to the card for me.

Still playing 1 Shalai in WW DnT, still think shes worth the spot. For the upcoming time I will cut her and go down to 1 Crusader to playtest 2x Brightling.

before we could on do this with jite counters on like a stoneforge mystic. This was another draw to the card for me.
    You can also give it negative attack, ie -1/7.

Shalai is probably going to float in and out of flex slots. It's just stupid powerful in the right spots and certain metagames. I'm not sure that now is the right time, given the printing of Brightling.

You can also give it negative attack, ie -1/7.
    And pump +1/-1 more when it’s pumped by Jitte or bigger from Sword of Fire and Ice.

You also choose which +/- pump you get on resolution, not activation. Might matter if an opponent sequences their spells, or responds, at weird times.

Just musing on Brightling...

Given that Baleful Strix and TNN seem to be a (the only) problem for Brightling, might a BW build for a couple Zealous Persecution in the board have a bit of mileage?

Also, seems a little more of a longshot but might Linvala be a way to fight opposing Brightling? Thinking mainly if Miracles does start running it - as that could really be a problem - though could also provide more general value in the mirror. There seems little else that doesn't also shut down your own Brightling.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by itsmrjack View Post
    Just musing on Brightling...

...There seems little else that doesn't also shut down your own Brightling.
    A reasonable valuation of our limited supply of mana.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Before all the newer printings that lead the deck in a grindy direction, there was a 4x serra avenger and 3x mirran crusader build that was seeing success. Cant help but wonder if there's a 4x avenger 4x brightling list that could simply overwhelm the board and removal. quick sample idea

lands 24

plains x11
    karakas x3
    horizon canopy x2
    wasteland x4
    rishadan port x4

creatures 24

mother of runes x4
    thalia, guardian of thraben x4
    stoneforge mystic x4
    serra avenger x4
    flickerwisp x4
    brightling x4

other 12

aether vial x4
    swords to plowshares x4
    batterskull x1
    umezawa's jitte x1
    sword of fire and ice x1
    sword of light and shadow x1

sideboard 15

surgical extraction x3
    path to exile x3
    cataclysm x2
    disenchant x2
    ethersworn canonist x2
    containment priest x3

Rough outline. 4th equipment and 2 canopies just as additional things to do with possible flood on 24 lands. Choice of equipment was because of strix, wanted the pro black in addition to the pro blue from sofi. could easily be something else or just cut. Chose disenchant over councils judgement because racing tnn will be easier than needing to spend 3 mana to remove it with so many sources of lifelink in the deck. Gonna be a dog in the mirror without any revoker effects so the mana save and instant speed of disenchant is what im looking for. Also, its availability in beta. Surgical over RIP because a build like this would want to spend any actual mana on creatures or paving the way for creatures. The configurations of path to exiles is simply due to the current meta in an attempt to shore up grixis delver and marit lage matchups.

Mirran crusader ended up being the odd person out. brightling shenanigans with the vial on 3 is what im looking to do, and if im gonna be spending mana on that, avenger costing 2 mana vs the crusaders 3 is gonna make it easier to cast post combat. Worse against push/decay, better against marsh casualties effects and connecting with equipment over tnn.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    A reasonable valuation of our limited supply of mana.
    I'm not sure I get what you mean. Would you mind clarifying? However if I'd take a guess then I think you're suggesting that Brightling on board is probably the most realistic answer to opposing Brightling - due to the mana it already ties up... If so, this is something I'd considered and decided if that's the case then fine, but was just searching for options really.

Regards my initial musing on Zealous Persecution as a way to allow Brightling to shine (apologies, pun intended) even when facing against TNN and Strix, it just occurred to me that perhaps Brightling in a WW build might give Holy Light a bit more currency than it ever has. At the end of the day, Pile may be the second best deck in the format (not just my words). I'm envisaging late game scenarios Vs Pile where Holy Light allows Brightling to seal games that it otherwise wouldn't because of those two pesky staple board blockers. It seems to me that the power potential of Brightling is exactly the thing about it that warrants a little bending around. Now if that means including cards such as Holy Light/ZP that have previously shown value in certain builds/metas then so be it. It's either that or completely re-structuring the deck around it, which I'm not sure is the way to go.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

@a tribe called trest: do you consider Brightling so powerful that you really want to have a full playset? Having more than one on the battlefield at a time doesn't seem to have huge benefits (but I'm only theory-crafting; haven't tested it so far). I think I'd rather split between it and Stalking Leonin, because it can be devastating from a vial.

A 4x Brightling, 4x Avenger build seems like a great way to fold to Baleful Strix decks.

Apr 2017
    Santa Barbara, California

Hey yall, I just sleeved up D&T after ugly ports started existing. I'm Long time Maverick player. D&T is more competitive than Maverick IMO. And Maverick is more difficult to play than D&T.
    Now I'm only playing D&T and BR Reanimator. Both online and paper. It's the perfect contrast.

Anyways, I wanted to know what your guys' opinions on the mu. What's your boarding strategy for reanimator?
    I have grown to love the match up, and feel like it’s even, maybe slightly in Reanimator's favor. After observing both D&T and BR Reanimator online communities, I get the impression that both sides feel favorable about the match up (go-figure).

Also. Thank you Phil! You are super brilliant, and I appreciate everything Thraben University has done for the community and helping younger people play a really hard deck haha.
    MTGO: Cucaracha_Gigante
    Currently Playing:
    Maverick. D&T.
    Reanimator.
    BURN.

Thread Information