Page 196 of 533 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    Is Kor Firewalker better than Fiendslayer Paladin ?

It would seem, the opponent has to be casting more than 2 spells a turn to make +1 life per spell > Lifelink. Firststrike and immunity to Abrupt Decay certainly hold some value, and probably make the card boardable in more matches, idk if it makes it worth +1 mana versus the important matches in question - presumably Burn and Huang's UR deck.
    I think the one mana makes a pretty big difference. But having applications again Jund or even BUG Delver is a worthy consideration.

That said, I think Firewalker is better in the Burn matchup
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    Is Kor Firewalker better than Fiendslayer Paladin ?

It would seem, the opponent has to be casting more than 2 spells a turn to make +1 life per spell > Lifelink. Firststrike and immunity to Abrupt Decay certainly hold some value, and probably make the card boardable in more matches, idk if it makes it worth +1 mana versus the important matches in question - presumably Burn and Huang's UR deck.
    Another issue is that Fiendslayer only has pro-R and pro-B in regards to spells. Fiendslayer is not Paladin-en-Vec -- and I had to look over this caveat.
    Kor Firewalker can block red stuff until the end of time. By contrast, Fiendslayer will die to red creatures/permanents. This is relevant in what you're discussing, as the 1/2 UR delver is playing will kill Fiendslayer with any pre-damage pumps. If I wanted something to nerf red, I'd lean on Kor because 1) it's cheaper (relevant against burn and UR delver playing red) + 2) it has true pro-red, not just red spells.

Dec 2013
    Chicago

Tested some against UR Delver last night. It seems like it all comes down to how many Bolts they can find. It feels like we can beat 2-3 in a game, but any more than that gets rough. Also, the second Cruise is probably game over.

Kor Firewalker seemed quite potent, but gets trumped by Sulfuric Vortex pretty easily. That said, I think the firewalkers might be worth it to give us more of a fighting chance here and against Burn.

Another thing I saw on SCG (IQ decklists from a recent event in California), is that people are moving from Mirran Crusader to Brimaz. I love Crusader to death, but the BUG matchup is better than the Red ones, so maybe the switch is warranted. That being said, the BUG matchup is good in large part BECAUSE of Crusader, so removing it entirely might be a mistake. Perhaps a mix would be good.

Also, Spirit of the Lab has just been a lightning rod for removal. The games where it has actually screwed someone have been few. That said, keeping removal away from thalia isn't the worst. Yet adding yet another x/1 (and without flying), is not particularly ideal. Though perhaps a necessary evil in a Cruise world? I'm eager to see what happens in the SCG's between now and the GP.

Nov 2012
    Central New York

Has anyone tried a singleton or maybe even a pair of Hero of Bleadeholds? I'm curious to hear. They beat A. Decay and Bolts? Seems good against miracles after a wipe too. Maybe I'm way out of line here and have no clue haha!
    Today I am become death. The destroyer of worlds. -Oppenheimer

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Madmankevinx View Post
    Has anyone tried a singleton or maybe even a pair of Hero of Bleadeholds? I'm curious to hear. They beat A. Decay and Bolts? Seems good against miracles after a wipe too. Maybe I'm way out of line here and have no clue haha!
    Brimaz or Restoration Angel are better in this deck

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Brimaz is nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Kayradis View Post
    Brimaz is nuts.
    I second this. Brimaz is my finisher of choice.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Dec 2013
    Chicago

You guys all like Brimaz over Mirran Crusader at this point? I presume because of all the lightning bolts floating around? (also the synergy with Karakas can be nice occassionally). I've liked Mirran Crusader for the longest time because of how great it is against BUG, but perhaps that's not the matchup that needs help at the moment?

Another idea recommended to me last night is trying to fit back in a couple Mangara, in an effort to go toe to toe late game with Cruise. Spirit of the Labyrinth has been pretty underwhelming for me (being an x/1 on the ground is just awful), so I am thinking to try other ways of handling the recent metagame shifts. I've never played with Mangara, so I will defer to other's opinions of it.

Heck, what if we just played 2 Baneslayer Angels in the board? Is that totally crazy?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I think a lot of people do not like Brimaz, actually. An opponent having access to Karakas is simply awful against this deck. Granted, that does not happen often, but when it does it is terrible. Brimaz is great against red for breaking parity and dodging removal. But Crusader is a major beating for UBG. He is so fast to end those games - in a way that this deck just does not get to do in any other circumstance - that it gives us a defining tool against one of the most popular decks in the format. Brimaz is arguably stronger in a test tube, but kinda vanilla in practice by comparison.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Dec 2013
    Chicago

I have been of the same mind for a long time, Finn. Its just started to feel like the rise of Red, particularly Red Cruise Delver decks make Brimaz sound a lot more attractive. Outside of this choice, I'd call BUG a better matchup than the red decks, so perhaps help should be skewed in that direction?

I also saw that Thomas Enevoldsen seems to have 1+ Relic of Progenitus in his 75 somewhere. Perhaps that is the flexible kind of card needed to fight Cruise? Jotun Grunt was recommended a page or two ago, and I am actually coming around to the idea, assuming 4 flickerwisp maindeck. Spirit of the Labyrinth has just been too fragile in my experiences thus far.

Hopefully DnT shows up at the SCG this weekend to give us some clues of what's best moving forward.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by cursecatcher View Post
    You guys all like Brimaz over Mirran Crusader at this point? I presume because of all the lightning bolts floating around? (also the synergy with Karakas can be nice occassionally). I've liked Mirran Crusader for the longest time because of how great it is against BUG, but perhaps that's not the matchup that needs help at the moment?

Another idea recommended to me last night is trying to fit back in a couple Mangara, in an effort to go toe to toe late game with Cruise. Spirit of the Labyrinth has been pretty underwhelming for me (being an x/1 on the ground is just awful), so I am thinking to try other ways of handling the recent metagame shifts. I've never played with Mangara, so I will defer to other's opinions of it.

Heck, what if we just played 2 Baneslayer Angels in the board? Is that totally crazy?

Brimaz's big butt is my main reason for including him, yes. Vigilance and spitting out kittens basically every turn is also a big plus, especially in the Young Pyromancer world we are living in (or soon will be, if GP NJ truly proves UR Delver's strength). He is good against more varied matchups (Miracles, Delver, Burn) as well.

I like where you are going with the Mangara comment. I have always enjoyed playing Mangara as it gives you a very solid alternative to combat.

I think Baneslayer, while cool, is a bit over the top. However, I'd still test it for the lulz.

I have a list with one Brimaz, one Restoration Angel if you're curious.

EDIT: here it is, anyway: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/death-taxes-classic/
    Last edited by Barbed Blightning; 10-17-2014 at 10:49 PM.

So I think Momme Grupp's top 4 list from Danish Masters (http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8310&d=247778&f=LE) has the exact main deck I would play tomorrow in a blind meta, and 13/15 sideboard cards look perfect. What I'm not so sure about is the Kor Firewalker and the Runed Halo. I'm not sold on Firewalker mainly because it's a 1x that isn't tutorable, and it seems like since the list already has a tutor that maybe COP Red is just better? And Runed Halo is just a card that I haven't seen a truly convincing argument for yet ... What problems does it solve so thoroughly that it's worth the slot? I want to fit a Cataclysm or an Armageddon or two in somehow, and the rest of the cards in the board look kind of hard to cut. I've never actually played with Halo though so I might just be missing its value.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Pans-Advocate View Post
    So I think Momme Grupp's top 4 list from Danish Masters (http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8310&d=247778&f=LE) has the exact main deck I would play tomorrow in a blind meta, and 13/15 sideboard cards look perfect. What I'm not so sure about is the Kor Firewalker and the Runed Halo. I'm not sold on Firewalker mainly because it's a 1x that isn't tutorable, and it seems like since the list already has a tutor that maybe COP Red is just better? And Runed Halo is just a card that I haven't seen a truly convincing argument for yet ... What problems does it solve so thoroughly that it's worth the slot? I want to fit a Cataclysm or an Armageddon or two in somehow, and the rest of the cards in the board look kind of hard to cut. I've never actually played with Halo though so I might just be missing its value.
    Kor Firewalker is a 2/2. However, I'd run 2.

EDIT: Ah, derp. I see what you are saying.

Also: I don't see why he ran Halo as well. COP Red is decent, but not that great vs UR Delver (YP Tokens kinda defeat it).
    Last edited by Barbed Blightning; 10-19-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    Kor Firewalker is a 2/2. However, I'd run 2.

EDIT: Ah, derp. I see what you are saying.

Also: I don't see why he ran Halo as well. COP Red is decent, but not that great vs UR Delver (YP Tokens kinda defeat it).
    I am guessing Halo was for True-Name?

I am trying to think of how my board should be constructed now, with Burn and UR Burn being as popular now as they are. I feel like COP: Red is almost a must, it lets you concentrate your removal on Pyromancer, since it can deal with the rest. Firewalker is good, he can be Vialed, but Price of Progress can still kill you handily.

That being said, I still want some number of Cataclysms versus Miracles (I think) and a couple of Ethersworns for combo along with at least one Grafdigger's Cage (Elves and Combo). I also always pack at least 2 Rest in Peace. It's been a little while since i've played Death and Taxes. How is everyone else's boards shaping up lately?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Aug 2014
    Central New York

You have to hedge the % of your meta/room that's playing red. I agree white players should be concerned about red's rise in popularity -- especially for the upcoming GP that will house a billion participants. I expect lots of budget burn throughout day 1.

Kor is good if you sit across from burn and UR all day but do terribly against the rest of the field. COP: Red is a high-risk, high-return card. I'm a bit sour towards COP: Red because I've lost games where the burn player outright kills me without targeting -- flame rift and PoP turn 4/5 gets there. If you want to trouble burn and storm, Leyline of Sanctity has treated me well -- but it's a different approach to handling red.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    You have to hedge the % of your meta/room that's playing red. I agree white players should be concerned about red's rise in popularity -- especially for the upcoming GP that will house a billion participants. I expect lots of budget burn throughout day 1.

Kor is good if you sit across from burn and UR all day but do terribly against the rest of the field. COP: Red is a high-risk, high-return card. I'm a bit sour towards COP: Red because I've lost games where the burn player outright kills me without targeting -- flame rift and PoP turn 4/5 gets there. If you want to trouble burn and storm, Leyline of Sanctity has treated me well -- but it's a different approach to handling red.
    I don't understand what you mean by COP being bad because they "kill you without targeting." COP can stop both examples you provided, I don't see how targeting and COP are related. In fact, Circle of Protection doesn't even target the source of damage, you simply just choose one. I feel I probably only have 2 sideboard slots open to shore up the matchup, so I am looking for high impact cards. I feel like COP is probably one of them. I am not sure if the Kor is though, as a 1 of. A possibility is of course, Absolute Law in that spot, but there is the danger of them just going right to the dome with everything anyway and killing you.

The meta I am looking to beat up on is Miracles, Delver (mostly BUG and RUG), some Blade decks, UR and mono-R Burn and some Sneak and Show. That's what I am trying to hone in a board for.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Dec 2013
    Chicago

I am not a fan of CoP:Red because it is only really great if you have a Vial. Otherwise you waste turns worth of mana holding up for activations of CoP? It seems like against a good Burn player they will just play their lands and hold their spells. Whenever you tap mana to actually get a threat down, they will overload your CoP with a flurry of spells. Also, are people using E Tutor to find the CoP? If this is the case, turn sequencing seems to be all kinds of wonky. When do you play Vial if you are trying to get the CoP into play as fast as possible? It seems like Kor Firewalker just plays into the natural play patterns of DnT way better than CoP does. Also, Firewalker has utility against UR Delver, where CoP really does not.

This also relates to another question I've been considering regarding Enlightened Tutor. It seems like many people are bringing in this card in way more matchups than I did when I used to play the card. For example, I would never bring it in against BUG Delver to find RIP because I couldn't bear the card disadvantage. The only matchups where I really liked Tutor were against combo decks like Storm, Dredge, Reanimator, and I suppose Elves. Does Tutor continue to deserve its slot as a 1-2 of in the sideboard?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    COP: Red is a high-risk, high-return card. I'm a bit sour towards COP: Red because I've lost games where the burn player outright kills me without targeting -- flame rift and PoP turn 4/5 gets there. If you want to trouble burn and storm, Leyline of Sanctity has treated me well -- but it's a different approach to handling red.
    Wait.. so CoP bugs you even though it does block Flame Rift and PoP, but Leyline is what you use and it can't?

In D&T I think Leyline is reasonable, but I should mention that storm's likely plan is Gobbos T1/T2 (or later if they can't quite do it) to get around BSK, Thalia, and Cannonist. Also, chain of vapor is good and paying 4 to set leyline back down would be a sad time while Leylines make horrid topdecks.

In other news:
    Aegis of Honor is a card and Absolute Law seems bad. I guess it helps you stick a BSK; but they brought in Smash anyway; so if they have the nuts, they have it. They may just not care and put down vortex as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

I play two Burrenton Forge-Tender in my board as well as a SoLaS. Forege-Tender does not target so it can stop everything from a lightning bolt, to PoP, to Eidolon for a turn, to Progenitus, and the recursion/life gain from the SoLaS is amazing. Thinking of taking the Forge-Tender count back to three with the rise of red decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

I'm getting some serious Deja Vu here. I feel like I'm reliving a conversation that this thread had a year or two back. When BFT for Progenitus was a thing.

Thread Information