Page 524 of 527 FirstFirst ... 24424474514520521522523524525526527 LastLast
Results 10,461 to 10,480 of 10539

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

  1. #10461
    Force of Will is my bitch
    Finn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2004
    Location

    South Florida
    Posts

    3,073

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Wonderful.
    I bet she is fantastic in the mirror. Jitte. Karakas in a pinch. Ballista.

    I have said in the distant past that this deck would run 8 mother of runes were it possible. Of course there were fewer attractive options then. Keep in mind that given enough of these in a deck the self protection becomes less important because you are likely to have two out.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

  2. #10462
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,740

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    There's also this to grab more Moms (or Ballista, for the matter)



    Much better body than Recruiter and some random-ass effect tacked onto it, but way more limited in what it's able to choose.

    That said, if you have recursion set up (Sword and Light and Shadow, bonus points for Vial @3) or Oath of Ghouls, you can soft-lock your opponent while continously fetching 1 CMC creatures.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  3. #10463

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Apart from Mom, D&T never had much 1-drops creatures. The whole bases of D&T creature pile is made out of 2-drops and supporting 3-drops (beaters/tutors/wisp). So unless there are good 1-drops to add to the pile, it doesn't seem worth it and Recruiter just does the job better.

  4. #10464

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Probably too slow. But boarding in Ranger Captain with Judges Familiars would pretty much lock out a combo player.

  5. #10465
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Sep 2009
    Location

    Vienna, AT
    Posts

    400

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Draggo View Post
    Apart from Mom, D&T never had much 1-drops creatures. The whole bases of D&T creature pile is made out of 2-drops and supporting 3-drops (beaters/tutors/wisp). So unless there are good 1-drops to add to the pile, it doesn't seem worth it and Recruiter just does the job better.
    That's not true. "Back in the days" (in more civilized times, when combat damage used the stack), D&T ran up to a playset of Isamaru, Hound of Konda. However, (usually) no copies of Mother of Runes, at least for the first two or so years :) I also remember when Finn and the other brewmasters over at mtgthesource spent *months* looking for viable 1-drops to account for a format that was speeding up at the time. Findings back then were stuff like Figure of Destiny, its slightly worse brother Student of Warfare, but I don't recall any making a real dent in the end.

  6. #10466

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Decent body, additional card selection, enables more Flickerwisp shenanigans, it can grab Mother of Runes, Giver of Runes, Walking Ballista and Judge's Familiar, what's not to love?

  7. #10467
    Member

    Join Date

    Nov 2016
    Location

    France
    Posts

    8

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    If you play this card, you trade better stats for worse tutoring. Recruiter is much better at grabbing the right cards, and cards that actually do something when they etb.
    RC of Eos wants to be two things, a beater and a tutor, but does both very poorly.

    Now what's the value of his last ability ?

  8. #10468

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post
    Now what's the value of his last ability ?
    it means storm straight up cant go off without getting rid of him. You let them cast a few spells, then sac it (or vial it in and sac it )
    but honestly its too slow for that.

    It IS nice that you can sac it in response to a miracle trigger off terminus, but in general I dont think it's good enough. Maybe if it was a 3/2 so we could recruiter for it

  9. #10469

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post

    Now what's the value of his last ability ?
    You can use it actively to get rid of countermagic and combad tricks. Upkeep use to not get killed by WoG effects.
    Also you make Terminus and Infernal Tutor cry.

  10. #10470
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Sep 2009
    Location

    Vienna, AT
    Posts

    400

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Regarding Ranger-Captain of Eos: If you live to 3 mana against Storm, chances are you won't need that kind of "oh shit!"-button anyway... It's probably better suited against control, where you don't want your opponent to fuck with your stuff during a/the pivotal turn.

    Looking at its mana cost and body, I'd have a very hard time running it over, say, Brimaz, King of Oreskos.

  11. #10471
    Force of Will is my bitch
    Finn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2004
    Location

    South Florida
    Posts

    3,073

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    Regarding Ranger-Captain of Eos: If you live to 3 mana against Storm, chances are you won't need that kind of "oh shit!"-button anyway... It's probably better suited against control, where you don't want your opponent to fuck with your stuff during a/the pivotal turn.

    Looking at its mana cost and body, I'd have a very hard time running it over, say, Brimaz, King of Oreskos.
    I think it is good in both those categories. There are certainly some games against storm where the opponent can not quite get it going until turn 3 (or 4 if you are on the draw), especially if you have ported him the turn before because - ya know - you had crap.

    The larger issue with Recruiter of course, is that the turn you cast it is a lost turn because it is a dud once it has done its job. But R-C at 3/3 with that sac ability is useful in a variety of circumstances. The ability is going to be very hard to get right though. I would not mind having a miser's copy in the 60.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

  12. #10472
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,740

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Ranger also survives Massacre, while the other anti-combo creatures normally just roll over and die.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  13. #10473

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Ranger of Eos seems sketchy, but isn't the first question: How many Giver and what balance? I am automatically tempted to run 3/3 because the 1/2 and protection from colorless really powers the deck up against Eldrazi too.

    Lands 24? 23?
    Creatures 23 with 2-3 beater flex slots (Avenger, Crusader, etc.)
    4 TGoT
    4 SFM
    4 Flickerwisp
    3 Mom
    3 Giver
    2 Revoker
    2 Recruiter
    1 Prelate
    Spells 11
    4 Vial
    4 StP
    1 Batterskull
    1 Jitte
    1 SoFaI

  14. #10474

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Here we go.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  15. #10475
    Member
    JitteJitte's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2018
    Location

    San Francisco, CA
    Posts

    10

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Yeeeeeessssss

  16. #10476

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    And...

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  17. #10477

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    I like the RB one a bit better than the UW. Good option for the side?

  18. #10478

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihils View Post
    I like the RB one a bit better than the UW. Good option for the side?
    No

  19. #10479
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Sep 2009
    Location

    Vienna, AT
    Posts

    400

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    Protection from Blue is always relevant since the advent of True-Name Nemesis. I wonder if there's a yet unexplored avenue somewhere to profit from Proliferate... Level-up counters (Student of Warfare), maybe? There's another half-decent option available since WAR, Grateful Apparition. Then again, with Mother's sister and the plethora of good cards we already have - probably that won't be strong enough to make the cut.

  20. #10480
    Force of Will is my bitch
    Finn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2004
    Location

    South Florida
    Posts

    3,073

    Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

    I'm pretty sure Fire and Ice is still better than either of these. Looking forward to the UB sword.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 9 guests)