Page 524 of 533 FirstFirst ... 24424474514520521522523524525526527528 ... LastLast
Results 10,461 to 10,480 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Wonderful.
    I bet she is fantastic in the mirror. Jitte. Karakas in a pinch. Ballista.

I have said in the distant past that this deck would run 8 mother of runes were it possible. Of course there were fewer attractive options then. Keep in mind that given enough of these in a deck the self protection becomes less important because you are likely to have two out.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

There's also this to grab more Moms (or Ballista, for the matter)

Much better body than Recruiter and some random-ass effect tacked onto it, but way more limited in what it's able to choose.

That said, if you have recursion set up (Sword and Light and Shadow, bonus points for Vial @3) or Oath of Ghouls, you can soft-lock your opponent while continously fetching 1 CMC creatures.

Apart from Mom, D&T never had much 1-drops creatures. The whole bases of D&T creature pile is made out of 2-drops and supporting 3-drops (beaters/tutors/wisp). So unless there are good 1-drops to add to the pile, it doesn't seem worth it and Recruiter just does the job better.

Probably too slow. But boarding in Ranger Captain with Judges Familiars would pretty much lock out a combo player.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by Draggo View Post
    Apart from Mom, D&T never had much 1-drops creatures. The whole bases of D&T creature pile is made out of 2-drops and supporting 3-drops (beaters/tutors/wisp). So unless there are good 1-drops to add to the pile, it doesn't seem worth it and Recruiter just does the job better.
    That's not true. "Back in the days" (in more civilized times, when combat damage used the stack), D&T ran up to a playset of Isamaru, Hound of Konda. However, (usually) no copies of Mother of Runes, at least for the first two or so years :) I also remember when Finn and the other brewmasters over at mtgthesource spent *months* looking for viable 1-drops to account for a format that was speeding up at the time. Findings back then were stuff like Figure of Destiny, its slightly worse brother Student of Warfare, but I don't recall any making a real dent in the end.

Decent body, additional card selection, enables more Flickerwisp shenanigans, it can grab Mother of Runes, Giver of Runes, Walking Ballista and Judge's Familiar, what's not to love?

Nov 2016
    France

If you play this card, you trade better stats for worse tutoring. Recruiter is much better at grabbing the right cards, and cards that actually do something when they etb.
    RC of Eos wants to be two things, a beater and a tutor, but does both very poorly.

Now what's the value of his last ability ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post
    it means storm straight up cant go off without getting rid of him. You let them cast a few spells, then sac it (or vial it in and sac it )
    but honestly its too slow for that.

It IS nice that you can sac it in response to a miracle trigger off terminus, but in general I dont think it's good enough. Maybe if it was a 3/2 so we could recruiter for it

Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post

You can use it actively to get rid of countermagic and combad tricks. Upkeep use to not get killed by WoG effects.
    Also you make Terminus and Infernal Tutor cry.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Regarding Ranger-Captain of Eos: If you live to 3 mana against Storm, chances are you won't need that kind of "oh shit!"-button anyway... It's probably better suited against control, where you don't want your opponent to fuck with your stuff during a/the pivotal turn.

Looking at its mana cost and body, I'd have a very hard time running it over, say, Brimaz, King of Oreskos.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    Regarding Ranger-Captain of Eos: If you live to 3 mana against Storm, chances are you won't need that kind of "oh shit!"-button anyway... It's probably better suited against control, where you don't want your opponent to fuck with your stuff during a/the pivotal turn.

Looking at its mana cost and body, I'd have a very hard time running it over, say, Brimaz, King of Oreskos.
    I think it is good in both those categories. There are certainly some games against storm where the opponent can not quite get it going until turn 3 (or 4 if you are on the draw), especially if you have ported him the turn before because - ya know - you had crap.

The larger issue with Recruiter of course, is that the turn you cast it is a lost turn because it is a dud once it has done its job. But R-C at 3/3 with that sac ability is useful in a variety of circumstances. The ability is going to be very hard to get right though. I would not mind having a miser's copy in the 60.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Ranger also survives Massacre, while the other anti-combo creatures normally just roll over and die.

Ranger of Eos seems sketchy, but isn't the first question: How many Giver and what balance? I am automatically tempted to run 3/3 because the 1/2 and protection from colorless really powers the deck up against Eldrazi too.

Lands 24? 23?
    Creatures 23 with 2-3 beater flex slots (Avenger, Crusader, etc.)
    4 TGoT
    4 SFM
    4 Flickerwisp
    3 Mom
    3 Giver
    2 Revoker
    2 Recruiter
    1 Prelate
    Spells 11
    4 Vial
    4 StP
    1 Batterskull
    1 Jitte
    1 SoFaI

Here we go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jul 2018
    San Francisco, CA

Yeeeeeessssss

And...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I like the RB one a bit better than the UW. Good option for the side?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihils View Post
    I like the RB one a bit better than the UW. Good option for the side?
    No

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Protection from Blue is always relevant since the advent of True-Name Nemesis. I wonder if there's a yet unexplored avenue somewhere to profit from Proliferate... Level-up counters (Student of Warfare), maybe? There's another half-decent option available since WAR, Grateful Apparition. Then again, with Mother's sister and the plethora of good cards we already have - probably that won't be strong enough to make the cut.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

I'm pretty sure Fire and Ice is still better than either of these. Looking forward to the UB sword.

Thread Information