Page 519 of 533 FirstFirst ... 19419469509515516517518519520521522523529 ... LastLast
Results 10,361 to 10,380 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

About Lavinia: I've read in another thread that it is a nonbo with Thalia as thalia makes free spells not free anymore... sad.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Is it enough to warrant bastardizing DnT for blue? What else would go in such a deck?
    I've been playing a U splash variant for a few months now, for 1 Sygg, River Guide (often unblockable, protects itself, combos with Karakas, pure fun against Lord of Atlantis), 3 Geist of Saint Traft (guess I don't have to explain why I like it :)) and 1 Aven Mimeomancer (turns everything into a semi-credible threat while making sure Jitte can do its work like Toshiro intended, shrinks Griselbrand and friends, ... a very flexible, fun card.) in the main board.

In the side, I've been toying with 2 Spellstutter Sprite, 2 Daze (much more powerful and relevant than one might think!) and 1 True-Name Nemesis (doesn't work well due to the UU casting cost, but sometimes, it's a "you win the game" permanent).

I quite like this splash. Geist (who is also recruitable) plays a big part in beating Grixis Control and other removal-heavy archetypes. Sprite and Daze both have been so good post-board that I'm tempted to try either main.

That said, I don't think Lavinia will be terribly relevant.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Recent big KMC event brought us tech that is probably strictly better than my idea of Athreos: Oath of Ghouls
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    Recent big KMC event brought us tech that is probably strictly better than my idea of Athreos: Oath of Ghouls
    Can you share the list?

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Can you share the list?
    The Oaths were in Goblins SB. But according to the pioneers of that tech, it is a nightmare for Grixis Control. Recurring Matron and Ringleader is obviously nuts, but we have a glorious bevy of enters the battlefield triggers as well.
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The Oaths were in Goblins SB. But according to the pioneers of that tech, it is a nightmare for Grixis Control. Recurring Matron and Ringleader is obviously nuts, but we have a glorious bevy of enters the battlefield triggers as well.
    Look no further than Remorseful Cleric - you can repeatly nuke the opponent's graveyard and since it's a sac effect, it keeps Oath of Ghouls online 100% of the time because you WILL have more creatures than them in your GY. At the very least, you can recycle it Cleric every turn. Oath should also be good with replaying Ballista over and over again.

Edit: Plaguecrafter might be pretty nifty with Oath as well, considering it can be tutored with Recruiter. If they have no creatures or planeswalkers to sacrifice, you can limit them to instant speed interaction if you keep discarding their freshly drawn card by vialing it in during their draw step, then returning it back into your hand with Oath next turn. That might be actually pretty strong against control decks low on creatures. You can always use Remorseful Clerics to keep the oppoent's GY clean.

I've always thought U splash was cute! It would sometimes win the game.

Anyone see the new white guy?

Tithe Taker - 1W

During your turn, spells your opponents cast cost 1 more to cast and abilities your opponents activate cost 1 more to activate as long as they aren't mana abilities.

Afterlife 1 (when this creature dies, create a 1/1 white and black spirit token with flying)

2/1

It could fit in the flex slot and help prevent against counters. I can't think of activated abilities people play on our turns, maybe the mirror and EoT control stuff.

Probably redundant and not as effective as Hollow Spiritkeeper and Thalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristin183 View Post
    I've always thought U splash was cute! It would sometimes win the game.

Anyone see the new white guy?

Tithe Taker - 1W

During your turn, spells your opponents cast cost 1 more to cast and abilities your opponents activate cost 1 more to activate as long as they aren't mana abilities.

Afterlife 1 (when this creature dies, create a 1/1 white and black spirit token with flying)

2/1

It could fit in the flex slot and help prevent against counters. I can't think of activated abilities people play on our turns, maybe the mirror and EoT control stuff.

Probably redundant and not as effective as Hollow Spiritkeeper and Thalia.
    I'll do one stream to see how it is in practice. The upside of an extra body is always great vs Grixis decks, but I'm not sure it is good enough as a whole.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    I'll do one stream to see how it is in practice. The upside of an extra body is always great vs Grixis decks, but I'm not sure it is good enough as a whole.
    Do you really think it is way better than Grand Abolisher?

Casting cost WW vs 1W
    Tax: No spell, no abilities vs +1 mana
    Body: 2/2 vs 2/1 + 1/1 fly.

Does athreos come in off vial though? DOesn't check until on stack or battlefield I thought? In hand = creature.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Does athreos come in off vial though? DOesn't check until on stack or battlefield I thought? In hand = creature.
    Yes, you can use vial on Athreos.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Haven't been playing DnT much lately, but the decks out of Japan are a little more interesting.

Yamano Nobuteru has essentially done some sideboard tweaking to his Top 8 lists for 103rd KMC and Eternal Party 2018.

Takemoto Hiroshi ran a similar list at Eternal Party and came in 5th.

And then Yamashita Yoshiki ran a WB list for Hareruya's The Last Sun event using Hokori, Pontiff, and Plaguecrafter main and two of my favorites, Act of Authority and Devout Lightcaster, in the side. Another Top 16 WR list running P+K, Magus, Direfleet Daredevil and Alesha, Who Smiles at Death for recursion.

Mono-White:
    Damping Sphere is a very reasonable decision that does double duty if you expect a lot of combo and big mana Eldrazi/Post decks (the latter winning GP Shizuoka.)

Serra Avenger returns as a 1-of or 2-of, probably for the race.

Quote Originally Posted by redtwister View Post

And then Yamashita Yoshiki ran a WB list for Hareruya's The Last Sun event using Hokori, Pontiff, and Plaguecrafter main and two of my favorites, Act of Authority and Devout Lightcaster, in the side.

Mono-White:
    Damping Sphere is a very reasonable decision that does double duty if you expect a lot of combo and big mana Eldrazi/Post decks...

I think I'm confused on act off authority. We could bring it in against lands or miracles maybe? If we use it twice a couple then they get it once to assumably get equipment or vial etc? Is that a potentially good trade? I think be it could possibly be really effective, but where?

I think damping sphere is probably effective. It fills a similar role as canonist, but against eldrazi, it is probably more effective. Could be neat! I don't play against that match often.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Damping sphere seems like a straight up win. It hits a lot of the classically hardest matchups for this deck: elves, mana ramp. The fact that it also hoses storm is merely an additional benefit.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Yeah, I like Sphere.

Act of Authority is largely for fighting artifact and enchantment decks (Eldrazi Post is one, but CloudPost decks in general, Mono-R Prison, the mirror, equipment decks, and so on.) The way to use it is to play it, exile something, wait until there is another thing worth exiling, and then before their next upkeep, Flickerwisp it to get it back to exile another thing they control. If there isn't anything to target before their upkeep, we still got a 2 for 1, and then they will probably have it exile itself.

A new article is up. This time it's not on Thraben University though! https://theepicstorm.com/through-the...lip-gallagher/

Edit:

This is a rarity, but here's a second article! This one is for my own website and takes a look at the last year of streaming and where I'm planning on going in the future! http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=2207
    Last edited by Medea_; 01-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.

I was a guest on Casual Ponderings this week, a relatively new/small Legacy/Modern podcast. If you want to listen to some D&T content (or more generally if you want another podcast to throw in your queue), check it out!

https://casualponderings.podbean.com/

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Damping sphere seems like a straight up win. It hits a lot of the classically hardest matchups for this deck: elves, mana ramp. The fact that it also hoses storm is merely an additional benefit.
    Christian Hauck and I came up with this when we practiced for PT25 and he said it didn't matter for the PT, but per se the card is sweet: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1254491#paper

It shuts down Cloudposts, is good against Elves (because it basically shuts down Climpse chains and Cradle as well) and also has some utility against OmniTell decks in that it shuts down their Sol Lands and also makes it harder to chain spells under Omniscience. When you have that against EldraziPost, things get much better. It also acts as additional Thalias against Storm without being worried about getting blown out by Massacre or whatever they are playing atm.
    I'm not very up to date but I can assure you Damping Sphere is a reasonable, good SB card.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

So I finally found both time and motivation enough for Legacy yesterday, and participated in a four-round FNM tournament with my somewhat fringe Wu D&T list:

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Geist of Saint Traft
    2 Flickerwisp
    1 Stonecloaker
    1 Epochrasite
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Aven Mimeomancer
    1 Sygg, River Guide

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Tundra
    3 Karakas
    3 Plains

SB:

3 Council's Judgment
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Spellstutter Sprite
    2 Daze
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 Nimble Obstructionist
    1 Tivadar of Thorn
    1 True-Name Nemesis

It went well - the deck never punished me, and I had a feeling that I was really playing as tight as it gets for my Magic abilities :) I won 4-0, going up against Wr D&T (2-1), UR Delver (2-1), BUG Control (2-1), and BG Hex Depths (2-0). MVPs were Epochrasite (that thing off a Vial truly wrecks things), Spellstutter Sprite (being able to interact with Crop Rotation was priceless), and Aven Mimeomancer (as shwoed by the fact that there was nothing my opponents were as eager to remove, after having read the card :)). Also, the peace of mind that Geist of Saint Traft hexproof (what a stupid ability!) grants.

I recommend trying this out if you're looking for a spicy change that still feels like D&T, but gives you a number of options and venues of interaction that the original lacks.

What are the thoughts on Smuggler’s Copter? Anyone tried it recently?
    Being able to loot trough your cards seems something D&T could use.

Thread Information