Page 485 of 533 FirstFirst ... 385435475481482483484485486487488489495 ... LastLast
Results 9,681 to 9,700 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

May 2018
    Seattle, WA

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Brightling

Looks interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
    Hello Guys,

I whould like some input on my last flex spot.

Im looking at Vryn Wingmare, Thalia 2.0, spirit of the labirinth, or Shalai
    My preference is going to Vryn Wingmare for maximal taxing and the fact that it has flying.
    Thalia 2.0 is great for aditional taxing, miracles , eldrazi and is a decent body
    Spirit of the labirinth i great vs combo but i dont like it with that many young pyromancers.
    Salai i havent tested at all, but 4 mana seems to much in D&T

Current build i will run is:

2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Horizon Canopy
    3 Karakas
    9 Plains
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Flickerwisp
    2 Serra Avenger
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 --------------

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 surgcal extraction
    1 Containment priest
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Path to exile
    1 Blessed alliance
    2 cataclysm
    1 pithing needle
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    Palace Jailer

Brightling seems worthy of testing. It's a great manasink, protects itself, can gain lifelink and/or vigilance to increase its utility. It will probably fight other beaters like Avenger and Crusader for space. It's one of those cards I'll need to play with to be sure though, it might end up being clunky in actual games despite looking great on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Brightling seems worthy of testing. It's a great manasink, protects itself, can gain lifelink and/or vigilance to increase its utility. It will probably fight other beaters like Avenger and Crusader for space. It's one of those cards I'll need to play with to be sure though, it might end up being clunky in actual games despite looking great on paper.
    I think the fact that it can protect from bolt makes it worthy. The bounce can even get around a lot of other removal spells you'd find in Miracles/Czech Pile.

"Xlings" Have typically been good control finishers. I'm super stoked for this card.

Jun 2015
    NYC

DnT has lots of good control finishers. It does not have very many that are also good against burn. This card is pretty pushed and I would probably try 3 of these in a shell without SfMs, similar to the lists Bahra was testing. Incidental lifelink often ends up being very strong. This is good against basically everything that isn't combo + not even terrible against combo as a 5/1 + our equipment just isn't what it used to be in the age of Kolaghan's Command.

The biggest downside is obviously that it's not a human / is strongly de-synergistic with Cavern.

I don't seem to have a problem with K command.

Czech pile overall is a ball buster. I have a problem with board wipes.

Brightling seems good against Terminus... too bad its not Human or fetchable with recruiter...

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by streetMage View Post
    Brightling seems good against Terminus... too bad its not Human or fetchable with recruiter...
    Neither is Serra Avenger, yet it's playable.

TNN might be it's main problem as it can chump block it for days.

I've wanted a non-equipment, maindeckable source of lifegain for ages. Most of the other options are...sad.

If anyone has time to start testing this *now,* please let me know the results. SCG Con has a Legacy event the day after this becomes legal, so...

Jun 2015
    NYC

It's good, I tested it all day on MTGO.

Brightling could be more worth then a Breitling for WW DnT.

Looks sweet but not even close to beeing as good as SfM imo. You just need equipment in so many match ups. Sure K Command and other artifact removal are a nightmare but until we're not getting an adequate 2 drop for SfM and I cant even imagine how something like that would look like, I'm super happy with running the Stoneforge package.

Brightling might replace other cards like the one flexslot which until now is filled of Wingmare,Shalai, Jailer, Brimaz and so on...

I realy hope this card will have impact on the DnT archetype!

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    It's good, I tested it all day on MTGO.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I wish the abilities were not all defensive on Brightling. I quite like the unsummon though. Sweepers are WAY less effective. A goal would be to read about players complaining about this issue in in the Czech thread six months from now if this card catches on.

It's a long term goal, but one worth the effort. This is kinda long-winded, but here is the deal: When the deck was young, Solidarity and IGGy Pop were the combo decks of the day. Both matchups were pretty rotten. True Believer off a vial was our version of a gameplan. Anyway, I prayed every night to the Magic gods for a Glowrider for two and eventually got one. Since then we also got Canonist, et al. So combo is now do-able to large degree. The other big obstacle to a deck that relies upon creatures is the more terrestrial issue of sweepers. Even Gaddock Teeg can't be counted on any more. I have been hoping we could find a way to make them less effective for a good while now. This guy is the most likely candidate since Thalia 2.0.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I don't think Brightling will do enough to be a D&T mainstay. What we'd need to improve resilience against sweepers is a cost-reduced Blinking Spirit (make it 2W or 1WW) with some kind of evasion (I'd prefer Flanking :p) and, ideally, a relevant creature type tacked on.

I dont really like the new creature, it is a very mana hungry...

I'm pretty sure that while Brightling doesn't fit the exact mold of what a lot of us DnT players imagined, it is still probably better even than Shalai, Resto, or Jailer, and even though they fill different roles, Brightling is also probably even a good replacement for Serra Avenger.

Lifegain, dodges removal, can provide double-duty for combat, doesn't make you up vial to 4, and can be a 4-turn clock.

I wish it were different, but at least it's a strong start...and it may prove better than expected.

Edit: Brightling is fairly susceptible to discard, however. Not a big deal, but should be mentioned.

Jun 2015
    NYC

It has that in common with just about every card that isn't Obstinate Baloth.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    It has that in common with just about every card that isn't Obstinate Baloth.
    Most creatures only spend one stint of time in your hand; this has the potential to spend many. If you are speaking in reference to this creature being good against control strategies, it feels important to mention that it makes one of those control strategies that is generally bad mid to late game a bit less so.

@Draggo

My question to you would be why is that deck going to be better than a white eldrazi deck? Here's something that I cooked up that I'll try out at some point this weekend.

4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Vryn Wingmare
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Reality Smasher
    2 Palace Jailer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa’s Jitte
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Battlefield Forge
    2 Plains
    2 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Holy Light
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Armageddon
    Basicly because you D&T got access to Mom, Plow and Vial and it got more interaction then the Eldrazi version. Adding the two Eldrazi's to the D&T list makes it stronger on the field without losing on the interaction. I feel the Eldrazi deck is also more vulnerable to land-hate (my experience piloting Grixis and mono-red vs both D&T and Eldrazi).

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Here's something that I cooked up that I'll try out at some point this weekend.

4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Vryn Wingmare
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Reality Smasher
    2 Palace Jailer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa’s Jitte
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Battlefield Forge
    2 Plains
    2 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Holy Light
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Armageddon
    So, I ran your list last night and went 3-1 for good feels but I ran the thorns main deck after seeing the room before start time.

There were about 10 players and I think there were 2 elves, 2 BR reanimate, Titanshift?, Burn, Jund, U/W TNN and Ad Naus Storm.
    Round 1: I beat the first BR Reanimate player (i was OTP) with a few lock pieces and game 2 had a perfect 7 with faerie macabre to stop him turn 1.
    Round 2: I beat the Ad Naus Storm player (good player, too) with multiple lock pieces both games and said, "I brought the right deck tonight."
    Round 3: I lost to (good player went 4-0) BR Reanimate since I couldn't play chalice on 2 due to my own Vryn Wingmare and lost to an exhumed Griselbrand.
    Game 2, I mulled to 5 hoping for a Faerie Macabre but no luck and lost the race to an animated Chancellor.
    Round 4: I beat elves 2-0 and holy light was a beast against him.

Best card: Thought-knot Seer and the multiple lock pieces.
    Mediocre card: Vryn Wingmares didnt' do much for me but I did run the thorns main.
    Worst card: Reality Smashers - by the time I could cast it, i was either winning or losing and it wouldn't have mattered.

I only had to mull a few times but it was due to looking for early action against a specific opponent.
    Ancient Tomb was great for quick starts, but damn that 2 life damage...
    thanx for posting the list.

Thread Information