Page 523 of 523 FirstFirst ... 23423473513519520521522523
Results 10,441 to 10,447 of 10447

Thread: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Site Contributor

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    Is that really any better than Vryn Wingmare?
    Asolutely not, in my opinion.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

The comparison to wingmate is apt, to be sure. But it is cleay not a direct comparison. This thing does not attack and instead has an extra defense ability. But it is harder for something like Miracles to be rid of. Combo, Im not sure of. I think it depends if they are still using stuff like Abrupt decay for removal. I think players of other decks would have opinions on how important that distinction is.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    The comparison to wingmate is apt, to be sure. But it is cleay not a direct comparison. This thing does not attack and instead has an extra defense ability. But it is harder for something like Miracles to be rid of. Combo, Im not sure of. I think it depends if they are still using stuff like Abrupt decay for removal. I think players of other decks would have opinions on how important that distinction is.
    I think dovin does not belong to dnt shell as its abilities do not advance any board state at all. It jus seems like a hybrid of gideon of the trials abd wingmare.

Would think dovin is more suited for control decks with big finishers such as monastery mentor or entreat (although most people have moved away from entreat).

About Dovin: Just a bad card. As people said, Vryn Wingmare is just better, basically the same effect, and is a creature, and already sees few to no play. The ability is just not worth it, we need our cards to TAX and BEAT the opp at the same time. Dovin just taxes.

About Tomik: It is ONLY good agains lands. And have very downsides:
    - Legendary can be bad against some matchups. The EFFECT is good against the mirror, but being legenday means we are gonna side-out the card. It is contradictory.
    - We do not always have WW on turn two. Sometimes we keep with "plains, wasteland" or "karakas, rishadan port", being unable to deploy the card on t2 and start to pressure. I REALLY think ours two-drops must be always at least 1W or just {2}.
    - Without its ability, is just a 2/3 fly for WW, and this is legacy, we have thousands of card at our disposable to choose from, and a 2/3 for WW is the best we can find? The card is fine, but not for legacy, AT LEAST, not in the current meta, if there will be ever one that it can play.

I dont know if people talked about the card, but if there's a card that can make the cut from this set, it is Gideon's Triumph:

http://mythicspoiler.com/war/cards/gideonstriumph.html

The card is comparable with other 2 cards: The first is celestial flare, that as we can see, is just a batter version because is 1W and not WW.
    The other is Blessed Alliance.

With Blessed Alliance: we can make our opp sacrifice an attacking creature, gain life, or untap up to two creatures.
    With Gideon's Triumph: we can make our opp sacrifice an attacking or blocking creature.

Blessed Alliance, most of the time, will just be used for the first mode. It is too mana consuming, and with just a Thalia into play, one escalated effect costs now 4W. With we using ports and wasteland, I dont think it is very plausable to use more than one mode.
    Gideon's Triumph, on the other hand, can make things difficult for the opp. Sometimes a creature like a gurmarg angler or a TNN is just blocking your way, and you must start pressuring the opp. With this, you can kill the creature without problems. Besides, the fact of the very existence of the card will make things harder for the opp: Imagine you play a game against a stoneblade variant deck with TNN. You lose g1. On g2, you attack, opp block with TNN, and you gideon's triumph him. You win g2. On g3, you attack again against a TNN with you having 2 open mana. Will the opp block? This is very interesting, because if you are already in a bad spot, you can make a few "daring attacks".(considering you do NOT have gideon's triumph in hand). But if you DO, your opp will have to think carefully, because now you have a instant speed card against their hard-to-deal-creature.

I think it is worth it a try, and I will star testing just 1-off on the side. (take out a path, I was already using 2)

And, dont forget, with a Gideon PW, the opp sacrifices two. So, it is good against some control builds, like grixis control, which is already a deck we bring Gideon.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    Paris City

played in a 24 man tournament yesterday.
    I played a stock version with 3 mirran crusaders / 1 remorsful cleric / 1 sanctum prelate as the flex slots.
    Made the top 4 by Drawing vs Punishing fire then winning vs Sneak and show, The epic thief and UR delver. I then draw into top 8 and won vs Death shadow to make it to top 4 and split the prices.

My feelings about the deck:
    Still strong vs anything. Mirran crusader seems overratted today. and Graveyards decks are nowhere to be seen so my choice of playing a one of remorsfull cleric main seemed bad.
    I did not have the balls to bring advokist :)
    Death and taxes!!

Play 4CB!

Another Draft Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Still strong vs anything. Mirran crusader seems overratted today. and Graveyards decks are nowhere to be seen so my choice of playing a one of remorsfull cleric main seemed bad.
    I did not have the balls to bring advokist :)
    Have you had a chance to playtest with Orzhov Advokist as yet? I now have a playset myself (but no real time for testing).
    For all: As it competes directly for a spot with Mirran Crusader - I'm wondering the matchups where one might be the favoured beater over another?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    Paris City

Quote Originally Posted by Tarwyn View Post
    Have you had a chance to playtest with Orzhov Advokist as yet? I now have a playset myself (but no real time for testing).
    For all: As it competes directly for a spot with Mirran Crusader - I'm wondering the matchups where one might be the favoured beater over another?
    To be honest, I did not as I am still not sure that it is that good :)
    But the consensus is that mirran crusader is nit good also these days because less grixis control and no black decks generally speaking.
    So you might try :)
    Death and taxes!!

Play 4CB!

Another Draft Blog

Thread Information