Page 230 of 533 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230231232233234240280330 ... LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,600 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Yes. Your mileage may vary, but I've not had much success with the card.

Very situational, usually 4 CC with Thalia on the table, and there are better ways to beat/race TNN.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post

Very situational, usually 4 CC with Thalia on the table, and there are better ways to beat/race TNN.
    "exile any nonland permanent" = "Very situational"

Yeah no.

Mar 2007
    RI

Council's Judgment has been a house for me out of the board. I find it comes in over STP in a lot of midrange/control matches.
    TPDMC

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post

Council's judgment is great against every deck that doesn't kill you before turn 4. Unless your local meta is all combo, all the time, I'm not sure what makes you think this. Did you go back to o ring to beat omni or something?

Cash Money Baller
    Nov 2007
    Maine

Can anyone comment on the sideboarding against BUG Delver for the W/r version? There doesn't seem like a card I want to board out besides Sword of Fire and Ice, and I want to bring in Rest in Piece, Leonin Relic-Warder, Ratched Bomb and Council's Judgement.

Mar 2012
    Grass Valley

Quote Originally Posted by BKclassic View Post
    Can anyone comment on the sideboarding against BUG Delver for the W/r version? There doesn't seem like a card I want to board out besides Sword of Fire and Ice, and I want to bring in Rest in Piece, Leonin Relic-Warder, Ratched Bomb and Council's Judgement.
    I know that when I'm on the BUG side of this matchup I board out some number of daze and some number of FOW. Seems like aether vial isn't that great.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

you're over extending. You only really need to bring in RIP

Feel like the councils judgments too for Liliana and possible Dread of Night, but ratchet bomb and relic-warder seem like they might be hollow if you successfully answer one of the two when it matters.

I continue to have unsatisfactory results vs fast combo decks. The hate cards we are playing are great but i am dying on turn 1 or generally without getting my turn 2 way too often. Obviously my first thought is to add Mindbreak Trap. It has a certain number of advantages vs storm and "oops all spells" type decks and could certainly help (but is by no means a new idea). The second thought is finding a way to get our already perfect 2-drops into play on our turn 1. If we board in 3-4 lotus petal or mox diamond (think i prefer either to chrome mox), does that not allow us to play thalia/canonist/revoker/containment priest in time to compete with storm, reanimator, oops all spells, tin fins, etc? I realize we play this deck agreeing to lose percentages in these matchups; however, my recent tournament experiences are that i am losing too many matches without being able to cast any of my sideboard cards as they stare at me in my hand. For me, it's bad enough to try something drastic. Let me know if any have experimented with this.

Oct 2005
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker18 View Post
    I continue to have unsatisfactory results vs fast combo decks. The hate cards we are playing are great but i am dying on turn 1 or generally without getting my turn 2 way too often. Obviously my first thought is to add Mindbreak Trap. It has a certain number of advantages vs storm and "oops all spells" type decks and could certainly help (but is by no means a new idea). The second thought is finding a way to get our already perfect 2-drops into play on our turn 1. If we board in 3-4 lotus petal or mox diamond (think i prefer either to chrome mox), does that not allow us to play thalia/canonist/revoker/containment priest in time to compete with storm, reanimator, oops all spells, tin fins, etc? I realize we play this deck agreeing to lose percentages in these matchups; however, my recent tournament experiences are that i am losing too many matches without being able to cast any of my sideboard cards as they stare at me in my hand. For me, it's bad enough to try something drastic. Let me know if any have experimented with this.
    When my meta was 90% combo, I bit the bullet and placed 4 Elvish Spirit Guide (not dead as we can vial it in later) and 4 canonists in my 75 to deal with turn 1 and turn 2 "I win" decks. It worked like a charm. If over 50% of you meta is combo, this change can work. However, you will lose percentages vs. the fair matchups. What's your meta like?

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Quote Originally Posted by hill_giant View Post
    Council's judgment is great against every deck that doesn't kill you before turn 4. Unless your local meta is all combo, all the time, I'm not sure what makes you think this. Did you go back to o ring to beat omni or something?
    That's right, there is a fair bit of fast combo around. I understand that CJ answers "everything," and that its run of the board, but here's more justification for why I don't like it:
    - there are better answers. Sofi for TNN. Flyers for Jace. Canonist for combo. With SB being tight as it is, I prefer having more hateful answers.
    - 3 CC is slow. For the same reason I don't like CJ in Miracles, there are better MD answers for most threats. And it's 4 with Thalia out.
    - related to above, when you pay 3 to answer a Goyf or DRS or 2cc thing, it feels like a waste of resources.

So yes, I'm sure some folks love it, but I'm just not a fan. It probably edges the stoneblade matchup more in your favor, so yeah, if you have a lot of that in your meta run 2-3, more power to you.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

This is my current build:
    [Deck]
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Aegis of the Gods
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Serra Avenger
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Mirran Crusader
    4 Flickerwisp

4 AEther Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

3 Karakas
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    12 Plains

Sideboard:
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Absolute Law
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    2 Cataclysm
    [/Deck]
    I swapped a Mangara of Corondor and Brimaz, King of Oreskos out for the Hexproof and Labyrinth enchantment creatures as I find to many white mana symbols a problem when building up a taxing board state. That and I wanted low mana cost creatures that do something to hate on the opponent.

On the topic of double white permenants, I deciding if I want to take the 2 Mirran Crusaders out and replace them with Aven Mindscensors, as they provide hate to fetchlands and tutors while providing me with evasion. The Crusaders seem to just be good if I am facing a lot of BGx strategies with creatures and the double strike has really only sped up my killing power a turn or two earlier, and in each of the situations I've killed with it, I would of killed the opponent any way from the control I had on them. Downside of taking out Crusader is the double activation of my equipments. Although flying with hate is better right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wynk View Post
    When my meta was 90% combo, I bit the bullet and placed 4 Elvish Spirit Guide (not dead as we can vial it in later) and 4 canonists in my 75 to deal with turn 1 and turn 2 "I win" decks. It worked like a charm. If over 50% of you meta is combo, this change can work. However, you will lose percentages vs. the fair matchups. What's your meta like?
    I played 6 rounds of a super IQ yesterday: ANT, RUG Delver, mirror, Sneak/Show, Oops All Spells, Reanimator. Pretty typical, really. There are lots of miracles too but it's uncomfortable that 3-4 of my matchups were trying to prevent my 2nd turn when they had the play. I would say that's representative of my area. Lots of random combo/unfair decks. It's enough for me to try something crazy like spirit guide!

So what do you guys suggest doing if you just want to beat Omnitell at all costs and don't care about weakening your deck in other matchups?

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Teegs, Pridemages, Canonists, and Elvish Spirit Guides. The more you care, the more you put in the maindeck. The first two are maindeck staples for the green splash already. I've also used Ensnaring Bridge to good effect in the past against Sneak and Show, but that's much more narrow and gets hard to cast with Thalia.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

board out 3 Phyrexian Revoker board in 2 RiP and a ratchet bomb.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    board out 3 Phyrexian Revoker board in 2 RiP and a ratchet bomb.
    Ratchet bomb? I can see why RIP is good (Tarmo+deathrite+tassigur) but they don't produce any tokens, and they have threats at all mana costs (1: Delver + deathrite, 2: Tarmo + confident, 3: Lilianna.... Let's not speak about tassigur :) ) and ratchet bomb is symetrical.
    Can't you explain a little bit further?

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Ratchet bomb? I can see why RIP is good (Tarmo+deathrite+tassigur) but they don't produce any tokens, and they have threats at all mana costs (1: Delver + deathrite, 2: Tarmo + confident, 3: Lilianna.... Let's not speak about tassigur :) ) and ratchet bomb is symetrical.
    Ratchet Bomb is a catch all. It's super versatile and most of the time it'll kill a flipped delver or two, or two Deathrites, two Tarmos etc. and if they have Dread of Night then it's an answer for that. RiP doesn't deal with Delver which is basically the only way you can lose to BUG delver, and even with them drawing and flipping delvers, it's still hard to lose. Ratchet Bomb being symmetrical is not super relevant since you control the ability, and if you play with ratchet bomb you'll see that it's never a problem. Since if it's blowing up a stoneforge of yours, then it means that you had an active stoneforge (which is a win). If it's blowing up a mother of runes then it means you had active mom (which is also basically a win) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Delver costs 0 flipped. Which makes it dead directly with Ratchet Bomb. BUG plays alot of threats on low CMC which makes it easy to catch two of them at the same time.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Thanks for the answer.

Another question: After all of your testing, is imperial recruiter a must have in the red and taxes version of this deck?

Thread Information