Page 200 of 533 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204210250300 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 4,000 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    You don't use Flickerwisp to get around her... you use Flick as permanent removal.
    Yeah I just got that. Holy shit.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I'll be honest. I was trying to reverse psychology you guys into thinking this card sucked. But I'm not very sneaky. BRB while I register www.iscontainmentpriestbannedyet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    I'll be honest. I was trying to reverse psychology you guys into thinking this card sucked. But I'm not very sneaky. BRB while I register www.iscontainmentpriestbannedyet.com
    Lol.

Nov 2012
    Central New York

Against Elves, how reasonable would it be as a SB option to slam Island Sanctuary after we get an Avenger or Flickerwisp in play and sit back hitting them for 3 a turn??
    Today I am become death. The destroyer of worlds. -Oppenheimer

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Madmankevinx View Post
    Against Elves, how reasonable would it be as a SB option to slam Island Sanctuary after we get an Avenger or Flickerwisp in play and sit back hitting them for 3 a turn??
    They Decay/recsage it and Hoof curb stomps you.

Check out the new card we got if you want to see some good Elves hate

I don't know if I can bring myself to run a card that invalidates Aether Vial in a deck where Vial is otherwise the best card. I don't think we really need the help vs the decks that cheat stuff into play (Dredge, Sneak/Show, Reanimator) and Cage does the same work against elves for cheaper. The Flickerwisp synergy is cool for sure but Flickerwisp is SO much worse when you can't Vial it in that it feels like a wash. Honestly I feel like the existence of this card is actually more of a problem for us than a solution ... Stoneblade and Miracles decks now have a weapon that both makes them better against decks that we usually prey on, AND has significant utility against us.

I am curious to hear about how this card playtests, but I am very pessimistic.

Dec 2013
    Chicago

Yeah, I find this pretty scary as well. It seems like Deathblade and UWR Delver would both love this card. Why must a new, powerful white 2 drop Human potentially harm, not help us?

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Pans-Advocate View Post
    I don't know if I can bring myself to run a card that invalidates Aether Vial in a deck where Vial is otherwise the best card. I don't think we really need the help vs the decks that cheat stuff into play (Dredge, Sneak/Show, Reanimator) and Cage does the same work against elves for cheaper. The Flickerwisp synergy is cool for sure but Flickerwisp is SO much worse when you can't Vial it in that it feels like a wash. Honestly I feel like the existence of this card is actually more of a problem for us than a solution ... Stoneblade and Miracles decks now have a weapon that both makes them better against decks that we usually prey on, AND has significant utility against us.

I am curious to hear about how this card playtests, but I am very pessimistic.
    So, you've never used Needle or Revoker on a Vial in the mirror or against tribal decks?

We need to stop thinking that Vial is the only card that makes this deck work. It's just poor thinking. We often lose Vials to countermagic or destruction spells and yet we can win anyway--how is this card any different? We basically sacrifice the ability to cheat on mana so that our opponent cannot cheat a lot on their mana. Not to mention this card has Flash--we can run out our Vial creatures first then slam her once the time is right, softening the blow as much as possible on our side.

I also really disagree with Wisp being bad outside a Vial, especially if we are exiling creatures permanently with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cursecatcher View Post
    Yeah, I find this pretty scary as well. It seems like Deathblade and UWR Delver would both love this card. Why must a new, powerful white 2 drop Human potentially harm, not help us?
    Really? I doubt it will see play in those decks but, even if they do, we have ways to deal with the card. Shutting off Vial helps them (Blade, UWR Delver), yes, but by playing this card they turn our Flickerwisps into removal. I doubt that they will want that.

I also doubt Miracles will play this card, a creature that will easily get swept up by their removal, when they can cast Pithing Needle and laugh all the way to the finish line.

Dec 2013
    Chicago

Yeah, you're right Barbed Lightning. This is just a really confusing card.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Yeah, you're right Barbed Lightning. This is just a really confusing card.
    Some common things (I think) we should understand about the card:

-We can pop her in off a Vial and she won't exile herself.

-Against an opposing Vial, they can elect to not put a creature into play with her in play. This is still great for us.

-If we choose this as our card for Show and Tell or Exhume, our opponent gets to keep their creature, too.

-Priest essentially invalidates Dryad Arbor. If they fetch it, Arbor gets exiled; if they attempt to play it while Priest is in play, Arbor is exiled. Only if they play it before Priest is in play can they get around her

-This also stops Goblin Welder and Kuldotha Forgemaster, at least from sneaking in creatures.

-Her ability is a replacement effect; the creatures never hit play and there's no trigger to respond to, either.

-Again, she has Flash. This mean extra surprise blockers, more flexibility in Combo matchups and pseudo-Haste.

I understand that she does hurt us somewhat, but I really believe that, with testing, she'll prove a worthy piece of hate for some of our more troubling matchups.
    Last edited by Barbed Blightning; 10-31-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

On "getting" a fetched Arbor with the Priest, that just isn't going to happen, unless your opponent is clueless. The same goes for exiling their Craterhoof. In both cases, you have to flash in the Priest in response to them activating the fetch or casting Natural Order. In the case of a fetch, they will just get a land. In the case of NO, they will either fail to find, or let you exile some useless creature (like a Llanowar or something they don't want to top deck).
    Last edited by H; 10-31-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Punctuation is real.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    In the case of NO, they will either fail to find, or let you exile some useless creature (like a Llanowar or something they don't want to top deck).
    Isn't this still a lot better than just losing on the spot?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Isn't this still a lot better than just losing on the spot?
    Absolutely, I apologize if I came across as scoring this card, I was just trying to clarify how us using this card would look.

Making Elves play fairly will buy us time. More time means better chance we can put a Jitte on a flyer and do some work. I still feel we're going to be a dog in the match-up, but I think we might move from almost certainly losing to maybe winning and honestly that's a big upgrade.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

It's probably sideboard material only.
    Wondering if we should side it in, in place of Vial :)

Shine On
    Oct 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post

OooOo Baby this one is sweet! Tons of creative ways to use it. Love that it has built in flash. Grieselbrand Decks definitely have what's coming to them now! Gonna be tough to beat Revoker + Spirit + THIS GUY (Gal?)

And Dat Flickerwisp tech!

I'm especially stoked about having a catch-all hatebear that hits both Elves AND the Cheaty decks :)

I agree that its unfortunate what it does to Vial but I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in practise.

Yay for new toys!!!

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    I saw Zoe from Firefly.
    I saw Rosario Dawson. Will be picking up 4 of this card.

Dec 2013
    Chicago

So, do people think Containment Priest is strictly a sideboard option? Its clearly potent against Elves, Reanimator, SnS, and Dredge. Against any fair deck with creatures it teams up with Flickerwisp as hard removal. Against Miracles its a flash threat that can be Cavern'ed to be uncounterable. Its also simply an x/2 in a format full of Forked Bolts and Young Pyromancer tokens. Just some thoughts, card is very interesting.

So, do people think Containment Priest is strictly a sideboard option? Its clearly potent against Elves, Reanimator, SnS, and Dredge. Against any fair deck with creatures it teams up with Flickerwisp as hard removal. Against Miracles its a flash threat that can be Cavern'ed to be uncounterable. Its also simply an x/2 in a format full of Forked Bolts and Young Pyromancer tokens. Just some thoughts, card is very interesting.
    It seems awful vs. Delver. Which is everywhere right now.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Yes it is a sideboard card. Nowhere near broad enough in application for the main.

I don't think you need to board out Vial, you can play both and just not use it after this is in play. Vial this in is way better, and harder to play around, than always leaving 1W up. You usually have worse cards to board out, and removing Vial makes your deck clunky in games where where you don't draw this early.

Thread Information