Page 419 of 533 FirstFirst ... 319369409415416417418419420421422423429469519 ... LastLast
Results 8,361 to 8,380 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Thomas Enevoldson won a MTGO Challenge with this sweet list.
    I prefer this approach allot more then the color splashing.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15785&d=296860&f=LE

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

On a page like http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...6-05#standings are the standings before the top8 cut? So Thomas went 6-1 and the other D&T in the top8 went 5-2?
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
    Thomas Enevoldson won a MTGO Challenge with this sweet list.
    I prefer this approach allot more then the color splashing.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15785&d=296860&f=LE
    So do I. He is a touch light on white sources, but you get that nice Flickerwisp/Displacer interaction with plenty of mana to activate it. And you get a good shot at t2 New Thalia.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2015
    NYC

That deck is a splash build, it just splashes for the 6th color.

2 Containment Priest main seems a bit too ambitious...once in a rare while you'll actually wreck Elves g1 and a bit more frequently you'll naturally draw into Priest + Displacer and they'll both survive...but against most of legacy you're playing a card that hurts you more than it hurts them.

Played Enevoldsen's build tonight against Grixis Delver. I went 4-1 in preboard games and 1-4 in postboard games.

Grixis Delver boarded:
    -4 Force, -4 Daze, -1 Pierce
    +2 Fatal Push, +1 Kolaghan's Command, +1 Cabal Therapy, +1 Darkblast, +1 Grim Lavamancer, +1 Ancient Grudge, +1 Diabolic Edict, +1 Baleful Strix

I boarded:
    -2 Revoker, -2 Containment Priest
    +1 Dismember, +1 Palace Jailer, +1 Rest in Peace, +1 Relic of Progenitus

I'll try some matches a different night where I bring in Chalices. There's reason tension between StP and Chalice though, so I left them in the board this time.

The games ones were a joke, really. Their deck has no maindeck answers to equipment, so you'll win most games where you don't get trampled by an extremely strong start. The Ancient Tombs felt strong here, as they powered out equipment for easy wins and played them through Daze.

The post board games felt rough. My creatures just didn't live. I never untapped with a Mom. My Ancient Tombs felt much worse in the post-board games, as their acceleration was not longer guaranteeing my victory.

Jun 2015
    NYC

I would definitely bring in Chalice vs them. 4 Chalice + 4 STP is super awkward but it also just increases your number of relevant cards. Based on games with Sanctum Prelate, I'd imagine the awkward spot is when they play a quick Delver, you have a Chalice + no removal + have to Chalice on 1 to avoid falling further behind, but in doing so you also shut off a lot of your outs to their Delver.

I don't think Palace Jailer is good vs Pyromancer tokens + Wasteland/Daze. In this case you know they are down to 0 Daze but they rarely side out 100% of their counterspells.

Grixis Delver games are always favored g1 and unfavored postboard. But I would guess it's closer to even or maybe even favored with 4 Chalices postboard, especially if he's not playing any FoWs. If you allow him to know how you're boarding, like maybe for a 'game 3', the Grixis Delver opponent would keep FoWs.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I wonder why the deck doesn't run Recruiter. The low numbers on certain cards basically scream "Run Recruiter!". Is it due to space or speed issues? The CA engine with Displacer seems downright hilarious.

May 2017
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    @Rostov

Looking at the matchups that are potentially the decks to beat you listed:

- Grixis Pyromancer- I feel favored here on any build, though Julian's data from MKM suggests it might be unfavorable for the average pilot.
    - Sneak Attack- I feel favored here on the traditional W build with 3 Revokers and 3 Karakas. Sanctum Prelate is the icing on the cake. Splash builds are slightly worse here.
    - ANT- I consider this one pretty even. It might be slightly unfavorable now since the deck has more slots to dedicate to non-Miracles matchups. Splashes don't matter here.
    - Infect- Unfavorable for W. Closer to even or even for splash builds. Cards like Cunning Sparkmage and Pontiff make a big difference here.
    - UR Burn- Favorable. This is clunkier than regular Burn, so you often have time to get equipment online.
    - Eldrazi- Unfavorable. Their nut draws are great. We don't beat those. Magus is a house if you are on red.
    - BUG delver- Favorable. More favorable as you add more copies of Mirran Crusader or Magus to your deck.
    - Bug Control- Favorable. More favorable as you add more copies of Mirran Crusader or Magus to your deck.

Sitting right outside of the ones you listed are a handful of bad matchups like Elves and 4C Deathblade though, so keep that in mind.
    (just a short update)

Thank you, over here we're still learning and have formed the gauntlet for testing for the past 3 weeks against any top 10 I'm currently watching. More results have come in (I expect a few more here and there) for May 2017, so no June results should be in:

Grixis Pyromancer 257
    ANT 154
    Sneak Attack 129
    Elves 120
    Lands 114
    Infect 113
    Bug Control 113
    UR Burn 111
    DnT 107
    Bug Delver 105
    Eldrazi 103
    Blade Control 95
    Death Blade 59

Cutoff points 108.928 (I'm just using what I see in the thread above this subforum). Biggest spike has been Elves, ANT and DnT; biggest no-moves has been Sneak attack (obvious in june too), Bug Delver, Eldrazi.

Add1:

More are starting to come in.
    Grixis Pyromancer 298
    ANT 163
    Sneak Attack 129
    Elves 128
    Lands 125
    DnT 115
    Blade Control 113
    Infect 113
    BUG Control 113
    BUG Delver 112

Edit2: This is wrong somewhere: --> "Cutoff points 120.98 out of total of 2630"

Add2:

Well, good news gentlemen. We made it.

Grixis Pyromancer 314
    ANT 172
    Elves 136
    Lands 136
    Sneak Attack 129
    DnT 125
    Blade Control 122
    BUG Control 113
    Infect 113
    BUG Delver 112

Cutoff points 118.358 out of 2573
    Last edited by rostov; 06-08-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Here's a fun list with Brimaz.

there's is also another nice 36 player GPT winning list.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15677&d=295838&f=LE

Few quick notes on the Enevoldsen list:
    - Containment Priest not only works with Flickerwisp and Eldrazi Displacer, but it also means that when you lose Monarch, the creature that returns doesn't. That takes a lot of pain out of losing Monarch.

- As a result, resetting Palace Jailer gets stronger as flickering him to a new target becomes perma-exile as long as you have Priest in play.

- Given the heavy presence (15% of the meta per MTGTop8) of Elves, Sneak, and Reanimator, main deck Priest seems okay if you exploit it, which he clearly is doing.

@Medea_
    I would probably board like this:
    -1 Palace Jailer, -2 Containment Priest, -2 Phyrexian Revoker
    +4 Chalice of the Void, +1 Rest in Peace

However, I am still tempted to keep Priest in to try and get removal action on Pyromancer, etc. But then, not sure what else I would take out. Anyone know what Enevoldsen did? He beat Brixis to win.

Jun 2015
    NYC

- As a result, resetting Palace Jailer gets stronger as flickering him to a new target becomes perma-exile as long as you have Priest in play.

I can think of a good reason not to do this.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, wouldn't your Jailer get perma-exiled? I feel like I'm missing something big regarding these tricks with Priest and Flicker/Displacer.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Yeah, wouldn't your Jailer get perma-exiled? I feel like I'm missing something big regarding these tricks with Priest and Flicker/Displacer.
    Yep this is exactly what would happen

Ok, ok. I'm posting and sick, bad combo.

The point, however, is that there are some synergies with Jailer.

I'm excited by the Enevoldson list; however I agree that the synergy with Displacer makes me want RoTG more than ever. Also I think chalice g1 is when it's at it's strongest; when we can just lock out fast combo. Also I feel like shutting off cmc 1 (let's face it that's what we are on) makes late game mom's bad and shutting off pushes and bolts and plows with chalice on 1 makes mom a little less needed perhaps.

I feel like this tweaked list is more where I'd want to be... but it's a little light on white sources for my liking. Enevoldson shaved a port; so maybe that's what I need to do too.

3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Karakas
    4 Port
    4 Wastes
    9 Plains

3 Mom
    4 Vial
    4 Chalice

4 TGoT
    4 SFM
    2 Revoker
    1 Cpriest
    1 Jitte

4 Wisp
    2 Displacer
    2 THC
    1 SoFI
    2 Recruiter
    1 Crusader

1 Jailer

1 Skull

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Here's a fun list with Brimaz.
    Lol, this list looks like it would dominate some Delver players. Not ironically, he lost to control, or reanimator...

My testing group (four of us) have just finished our gauntlet for the most part. Amongst us we Main D&T (me) elves, stone blade, grixis delver, dark depths.

Gauntlet decks
    Storm
    Food chain
    S&T
    Infect
    4-C Loam

Any suggestions on what should be added in?

Reanimator and new Miracles.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

And a BUG deck, of course.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information