Page 426 of 533 FirstFirst ... 326376416422423424425426427428429430436476526 ... LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,520 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    'You get some free wins' is not a small thing. Free wins are huge. DnT operates on super thin margins, especially against fair and midrange decks where turn 2 Thalia isn't the free win. The question is what is the real cost of these new free wins. Yes - you can lose to Blood Moon, but it doesn't actually happen that often - especially not in W/R builds. W/B is a little softer, since a Blood Moon does in fact prevent you from hard-casting some of your cards + people are more likely to actually try to Blood Moon you when you don't play red.
    No, both splash builds are equally prone to the variance a fast Blood Moon brings. When that happens, I'll prefer to be the monoW variant with 10 Plains rather than running the splash with 3 Plains. I mean, you are seriously argueing that W/R has Magus that they can hardcast against Moon. It's a fcking 2/2 vanilla for 3 mana in that scenario, it's not going to get anything done really. You need to be able to cast creatures that are actually disruptive or represent a clock, most of these cost W or WW. And you can't tell me that the splash builds are equally likely do draw into Plains to cast Thalia. If you are one lucky guy who always has Aether Vial in his opening hand, I get it, this chance is equal in both builds, but in these scenarios I am certain that the WR build is more likely to lose a game against an early Blood Moon.

Splash builds are a tad softer to Wasteland, but not as much as people think. I usually play 3 Plains 5 Fetch in my splash builds, which gives you exactly as many basic land sources as the mono-white deck that won the GP. If you fetch for basics aggressively vs Wasteland decks, you can barely feel the difference between a splash build and mono-w.
    This comparison is not accurate. Imagine you're on the draw against Delver and you keep a hand with 2 fetches, Aether Vial, Mother of Runes and some other good cards. You are not in a position to play around Stifle with this kind of hand, you definitely go fetch Plains, Vial, go. Now if your opponent casts Stifle, you're in a super bad shape. And that example opening hand will never be mulled. And in this case, fetches added another kind of variance to this whole scenario.

So your free wins aren't free. But are they expensive? No, I don't think so. Every deck-building decision is a trade-off and I think that the free wins far outvalue the small edges you lose above, especially since you can manage those things. Don't let Wasteland be good against you, don't get overly greedy with your splash requirements.

And while even splash builds are still 'fair' decks, Blood Moon is not really a 'fair' effect. Neither is Chalice, which has been the route the Europeans have been going down. These are unfair fair cards. They don't cheat a Griselbrand in play, but they tend to end the game on the spot.
    So does Sanctum Prelate.

Overall I am just questioning this splash since there is no data or evidence to convince me that splashing red has any advantage over staying monoW. I still have the same problems as before and don't really gain some win% against my bad matchups.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

rather than garbage cards like Stifle.
    You've never played Stifle have you..?

Are you saying that when someone stifles your SFM you're the type who goes "LOL 2-for-1!" because you got a 1/2?
    You showed them. You showed them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Adan View Post
    No, both splash builds are equally prone to the variance a fast Blood Moon brings. When that happens, I'll prefer to be the monoW variant with 10 Plains rather than running the splash with 3 Plains. I mean, you are seriously argueing that W/R has Magus that they can hardcast against Moon. It's a fcking 2/2 vanilla for 3 mana in that scenario, it's not going to get anything done really. You need to be able to cast creatures that are actually disruptive or represent a clock, most of these cost W or WW. And you can't tell me that the splash builds are equally likely do draw into Plains to cast Thalia. If you are one lucky guy who always has Aether Vial in his opening hand, I get it, this chance is equal in both builds, but in these scenarios I am certain that the WR build is more likely to lose a game against an early Blood Moon.

This comparison is not accurate. Imagine you're on the draw against Delver and you keep a hand with 2 fetches, Aether Vial, Mother of Runes and some other good cards. You are not in a position to play around Stifle with this kind of hand, you definitely go fetch Plains, Vial, go. Now if your opponent casts Stifle, you're in a super bad shape. And that example opening hand will never be mulled. And in this case, fetches added another kind of variance to this whole scenario.

So does Sanctum Prelate.

Overall I am just questioning this splash since there is no data or evidence to convince me that splashing red has any advantage over staying monoW. I still have the same problems as before and don't really gain some win% against my bad matchups.
    With 5 fetchlands, a minority of your opening hands even have a fetchland to get stifled. An even smaller number will have nothing but fetchlands to develop your mana early. I'm not gonna do the math on 'how many opening hands have 2 fetchlands but no other lands' but there is a roughly ~10% chance that your hand will have 2 or more fetchlands, so the chance of the situation you described is much lower than that. You'd multiply my previous % by the % chance that you're playing a Stifle Delver player, oh and they actually have Stifle. And they're on the play. The resulting number is so small that it's barely even worth considering. If I had to put a ratio on the number of games where a Delver Stifle-your-fetch was a significant setback vs the number of games that I won on the spot vs Delver with a Magus of the Moon, it would be something like 1 to 25.

Vs. fast Blood Moon decks, if you are on the play (or they don't have a turn 1 Blood Moon) you have ~ 9 Plains sources to get in play turn 1. If you're on the draw and they have a turn 1 Blood Moon, you still have Vials and some basics, so you're better off than most legacy decks against a resolved Blood Moon, but yes that's not a great spot to be in. Obviously any splash build is softer to a fast Blood Moon - especially a turn 1 Blood Moon. But the number of turn 1 Blood Moons on the draw you're gonna face is again, not really a substantial number. Blood Moon is a powerful effect - other Blood Moon decks exist and you can lose to it. You also can win with it - that happens more often.

Overall - I'm not denying that these things happen, I'm arguing that you aren't putting proper value on their frequencies.

There are a lot more Deathrite Shamans out there than Stifles and Blood Moons - giving Deathrite Shaman food is relevant. I think UR Delver is a legitimate tier 1 deck and Burn is already a somewhat rough matchup - you see those decks a lot, and getting softer vs Price + giving them a few free points of damage via your fetches over a match - those things are relevant. These are widely played decks and widely played effects and you're marginally worse off vs them. Magus is also a Grey Ogre g1 vs a certain % of the field - in some cases (e.g. vs Griselbrand decks), worse than a Grey Ogre, since he turns off your Karakas. That's relevant. Stifle...is not.

With 5 fetchlands, a minority of your opening hands even have a fetchland to get stifled. An even smaller number will have nothing but fetchlands to develop your mana early. I'm not gonna do the math on 'how many opening hands have 2 fetchlands but no other lands' but there is a roughly ~10% chance that your hand will have 2 or more fetchlands, so the chance of the situation you described is much lower than that. You'd multiply my previous % by the % chance that you're playing a Stifle Delver player, oh and they actually have Stifle. And they're on the play. The resulting number is so small that it's barely even worth considering. If I had to put a ratio on the number of games where a Delver Stifle-your-fetch was a significant setback vs the number of games that I won on the spot vs Delver with a Magus of the Moon, it would be something like 1 to 25.

Vs. fast Blood Moon decks, if you are on the play (or they don't have a turn 1 Blood Moon) you have ~ 9 Plains sources to get in play turn 1. If you're on the draw and they have a turn 1 Blood Moon, you still have Vials and some basics, so you're better off than most legacy decks against a resolved Blood Moon, but yes that's not a great spot to be in. Obviously any splash build is softer to a fast Blood Moon - especially a turn 1 Blood Moon. But the number of turn 1 Blood Moons on the draw you're gonna face is again, not really a substantial number. Blood Moon is a powerful effect - other Blood Moon decks exist and you can lose to it. You also can win with it - that happens more often.

Overall - I'm not denying that these things happen, I'm arguing that you aren't putting proper value on their frequencies.

There are a lot more Deathrite Shamans out there than Stifles and Blood Moons - giving Deathrite Shaman food is relevant. I think UR Delver is a legitimate tier 1 deck and Burn is already a somewhat rough matchup - you see those decks a lot, and getting softer vs Price + giving them a few free points of damage via your fetches over a match - those things are relevant. These are widely played decks and widely played effects and you're marginally worse off vs them. Magus is also a Grey Ogre g1 vs a certain % of the field - in some cases (e.g. vs Griselbrand decks), worse than a Grey Ogre, since he turns off your Karakas. That's relevant. Stifle...is not.
    Too much analysis, not enough Ogreing. What did you do with the real iatee?

Talking about turn 1 Blood Moon on the draw and Stifle seems like a pretty narrow argument to discredit an entire strategy. But I can understand the concern here is: to what degree does splashing hurt the mana base of DnT?

Depending on how you construct it, very little. The deck I'm using right now is: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-dnt-2017-1/

The deck is 80+% human tribal and the advantage is that you can abuse 4 Cavern of Souls. Cavern significantly mitigates the downside of splashing, combined with Aether Vial, and I only need to play 1 dual of each color. I could technically play more basics (currently 5) but I'm testing 3 Wasteland and seeing how effective they are. Notice I'm not running any ports or karakas (yeah call me a heretic) and you can read my explanation there.

In my opinion, Magus is the best card you can have against the fair strategies - hell even some unfair ones. It's certainly not Mirran Crusader - a card which I increasingly value less and less. A card that gets blown away by 5 bolt effects in Grixis Delver/4c control and is too unreliable without equipment sounds like an easy cut to me. Alas, I still have one copy in the main. What about Serra Avenger? Also unreliable and being double white + angel type makes her a big pain to cast. But Magus? Magus puts serious mana constraints on your opponent especially game 1 when they least expect it. That's why you should run 1-2 magus in the main. Because my deck is not heavy on double white casting costs, Magus is quite a bit better in my build than builds that try to run Flickerwisp. It's also stronger against opposing Blood Moon strategies.

And I almost forgot to mention: Dark Confidant and Orzhov Pontiff. Because Death and Taxes is inherently a mana hungry deck and has few card selections, Dark Confidant is phenomenal here. I would argue Bob is better here than in Deadguy Ale. Why? Because of Mother of Runes and 4 Cavern of Souls. Pontiff is the next best thing from the black splash. It's our best out to Pyromancer and True-Name Nemesis, among other things like Elves.

My reasons for eliminating Port and Flickerwisp is really that they are not great without an Aether Vial in play. Port is way better in Goblins and Lands where they either have more ways to cheat creatures in or don't have to proactively advance the board with creatures. With Miracles gone, I find less incentive to run Port. Even ghost quarters is better than port right now. Actually my next experiment is to run ghost quarters over wasteland. Opponents scared of Blood Moon games 2 and 3 will fetch their 1-of basics and quite possibly get screwed hard.

But what to replace Port with? After much testing, I decided on 5 Sol Lands. My original reason for running them was to turbo out a turn 1 Chalice of the Void. But I found out Tomb and CoT are just absolutely insane with creatures and equipments. I wanted to abuse them further by trying to have at least six 3-cmc creatures with one white cost (2 recruiter, 2 Thalia HC, 2 vryn wingmare). Unlike Port that is a reactive way of asking "Did I mana screw you? Maybe?", Tomb and CoT are proactively asking 'hey I'm accelerating these bombs on turn 2 and two creatures on turn 3. Can you answer them? Also I'm backing them with my friend Cavern."
    Last edited by grayryker; 07-11-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Flickerwisp has won me more games than I can count by just being a temporary vindicate. Or Batterskull reset. Or Stoneforge trigger. Or token killer. Or Chalice killer. Or Recruiter trigger. Or Revoker reset. My biggest gripe with adding red to the deck was that it made Flickerwisp worse and made me unable to play Avenger, while also shut down many of my own cards. The mana goes from being great to being between decent and awkward. If your hand is a Magus and only one fetch as a colored source, what do you do?

Being extremely favored against Turbo Moon may not be something thats going to come up particularly often, but making that matchup worse for marginal gains in other matchups does not seem worth it. As I have understood it, the move towards red was borne out of a fear of Elves making a big comeback, and the red version has a better matchup there. This did not come to pass, and I find Magus to be very unexciting against the top decks.

Bear Cub &gt; Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

I definitely think Flickerwisp is one of the better cards in the deck. Flexibility is key for a control deck that can't just say "no" to any spell, and Flickerwisp gives a ton of flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by WashableWater1 View Post
    As I have understood it, the move towards red was borne out of a fear of Elves making a big comeback, and the red version has a better matchup there.
    That might have been part of it, but everything from Pontiff (Black splash) to Holy Light (mono-white) would have been additional answers to Elves without going Red. Instead, Red is more for Magus, which is more for Leovold decks, Lands, and other decks that get greedy or tricky with land.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Splash builds can play fewer Caverns and as many Flickerwisp/Avengers as you want - I'm actually playing 2 Serra Avenger at the moment. I even have more pure white sources than Calderon's GP winning mono-w deck did. (13 - 5 fetch 4 Plains 1 Plateau 3 Karakas.)

I honestly think that in the big picture, the manabase issues are trivial. Our normal manabase is *so* not-greedy compared to the average legacy manabase, and while we get some value from that, you don't actually need 12 basic lands to play around Wasteland and Blood Moon. It's overkill. You don't get an extra prize for having a ton of copies of the card Plains in play. (I guess there's always Emeria, the Sky Ruin...) People have even been having success with 3c builds with Ancient Tomb which shows that there's room to be *super* greedy. And I don't think we need to go that far, but that's evidence that you can totally get away with it.

I think the better arguments against Magus would rather be 'well that's not the best use of the maindeck flex spot'. Which I think is sometimes true. If your local meta is SnS, Reanimator, Burn, UR Delver, Dnt then Magus is actually a pretty terrible use of a flex spot and red offers you pretty little in additional sidebord options. If your expected meta is DnT, Elves, Stoneblade decks, red still offers you some good sideboard tech, but maybe Orzhov Pontiff is a more attractive flex spot. One of my friends was the second highest DnT finisher at the GP at 12-3 (two of his loses were Belcher and Elves) and he did it with a Pontiff splash.

In any case, I don't think that 'marginal gains in other matchups' is the right way to describe the way cards like Magus and Orzhov Pontiff play. They tend to win on the spot, and can win in situations where nothing else could - which is not something you'll often say about Serra Avenger.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Griselpuff View Post
    Too much analysis, not enough Ogreing. What did you do with the real iatee?
    Feel like I'm not getting enough credit for baiting a Stifle-player.

Bear Cub &gt; Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

I don't think that 'marginal gains in other matchups' is the right way to describe the way cards like Magus and Orzhov Pontiff play. They tend to win on the spot, and can win in situations where nothing else could - which is not something you'll often say about Serra Avenger.
    This is exactly what I was talking about on the last page. I agree that metagame is a consideration, but so is playstyle. Do you prefer a deck with big swingy plays like Magus, or a deck that has more consistent options? If it comes to the point where the more consistent option is ineffective, I think it's a bad sign for D&T in general: that could be a signal that D&T's core is no longer (as) viable, and that it requires lining up the performance peaks of swingy cards like Magus against the right matchups and board states in order to succeed.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Quote Originally Posted by grayryker View Post
    Talking about turn 1 Blood Moon on the draw and Stifle seems like a pretty narrow argument to discredit an entire strategy. But I can understand the concern here is: to what degree does splashing hurt the mana base of DnT?

Depending on how you construct it, very little. The deck I'm using right now is: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-dnt-2017-1/

The deck is 80+% human tribal and the advantage is that you can abuse 4 Cavern of Souls. Cavern significantly mitigates the downside of splashing, combined with Aether Vial, and I only need to play 1 dual of each color. I could technically play more basics (currently 5) but I'm testing 3 Wasteland and seeing how effective they are. Notice I'm not running any ports or karakas (yeah call me a heretic) and you can read my explanation there.
    ."
    You've cut quite a bit of the core out of D&T. Flickerwisp certainly loses a lot of power without Vial, but Vial+Flickerwisp is of the more powerful combos we have in the deck. A vial on 3 means Flickerwisp has to be respected. Karakas give us so much protection for both our own threats as well as against our opponent's. Also we tend to play Wasteland at virtually no cost. I could be clinging too much to our core, but I feel playing less than 4 is rough, especially with no ports to help leverage the mana denial plan.

Splash builds can play fewer Caverns and as many Flickerwisp/Avengers as you want - I'm actually playing 2 Serra Avenger at the moment. I even have more pure white sources than Calderon's GP winning mono-w deck did. (13 - 5 fetch 4 Plains 1 Plateau 3 Karakas.)

I honestly think that in the big picture, the manabase issues are trivial. Our normal manabase is *so* not-greedy compared to the average legacy manabase, and while we get some value from that, you don't actually need 12 basic lands to play around Wasteland and Blood Moon. It's overkill. You don't get an extra prize for having a ton of copies of the card Plains in play. (I guess there's always Emeria, the Sky Ruin...) People have even been having success with 3c builds with Ancient Tomb which shows that there's room to be *super* greedy. And I don't think we need to go that far, but that's evidence that you can totally get away with it.

I think the better arguments against Magus would rather be 'well that's not the best use of the maindeck flex spot'. Which I think is sometimes true. If your local meta is SnS, Reanimator, Burn, UR Delver, Dnt then Magus is actually a pretty terrible use of a flex spot and red offers you pretty little in additional sidebord options. If your expected meta is DnT, Elves, Stoneblade decks, red still offers you some good sideboard tech, but maybe Orzhov Pontiff is a more attractive flex spot. One of my friends was the second highest DnT finisher at the GP at 12-3 (two of his loses were Belcher and Elves) and he did it with a Pontiff splash.

In any case, I don't think that 'marginal gains in other matchups' is the right way to describe the way cards like Magus and Orzhov Pontiff play. They tend to win on the spot, and can win in situations where nothing else could - which is not something you'll often say about Serra Avenger.

Yes definitely one can choose to play Flickerwisps and Serra Avenger in a splash build. The reason why I'm not doing this myself is because my deck isn't simply a splash - it's geared towards colorless acceleration. Also, to add to what you're saying: Miracles played 6 basics and it was considered a 'basic heavy' deck. Well maybe that notion is a misconception because I have seen Magus lock down a couple Miracles couple of times but my argument still stands . When playing with fetches, 4-6 basic land is plenty especially in a strictly-mono-color deck such as DnT.

One thing I want to emphasize though is that my build is not a heavy color splash at all - hence, not super greedy. It's more accurately mono white + colorless. The color requirements come largely from Aether Vial and Cavern of Souls, which I'm willing to play regardless of splashes or not. To add a bit of consistency, I added the 4 fetches to ensure I can hit a turn 2 Dark Confidant and turn 3-5 Magus of the Moon.

Right now the problem with DnT is that there is no universally good beater. Both Crusader and Serra Avengers have their pros and cons. We want human type + flying + vigilance + protection + x > 3 toughness. Is this too much to ask for WoTC? Perhaps a better solution is to simply run more removals. If we don't have the creatures that can play defense, why not just play more Path to Exile and Blessed Alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by zakzes View Post
    You've cut quite a bit of the core out of D&T. Flickerwisp certainly loses a lot of power without Vial, but Vial+Flickerwisp is of the more powerful combos we have in the deck. A vial on 3 means Flickerwisp has to be respected. Karakas give us so much protection for both our own threats as well as against our opponent's. Also we tend to play Wasteland at virtually no cost. I could be clinging too much to our core, but I feel playing less than 4 is rough, especially with no ports to help leverage the mana denial plan.
    I'll make it very clear that I believe with vial in play, Flickerwisp becomes the best creature in the deck. But what I'll point to you is the numbers. You have roughly 40% to one or more Aether Vial in your opening hand (for simplicity, let's not consider mulligans and 0 land hands). Out of this 40%, whether you are on the draw or not, there is a reasonable chance that it will be countered; if on the draw, chance that it's discarded.

The irony of Wasteland in D&T is that there are better wasteland decks out there. Delver is a good example. The deck can operate on one land and simply find more lands with cantrips. Let's also not forget about Deathrite Shaman, which is a huge factor in how well they can utilize Wasteland. With D&T, we absolutely need an Aether Vial in play so that we can use our Ports and Wasteland to mana denial the opponent while simultaneously advancing the board. Without an aether vial, we're either leaving our ports to get wasteland'd or simply using it as a colorless source until roughly turn 4+ (by then your opponent can often get around mana problems); this is obvious since we need mana to cast creatures.

My replacement for ports come from a variety of things: more focus on the 3-cmc taxes like Thalia HC and Vryn Wingmare as well as the Magus of the Moon strategy. In my experience, these are consistently more powerful in denying the mana of the opponent. They're also better when you don't have the ideal Aether Vial in play, relying just on Sol Lands to dish out taxes after taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by grayryker View Post

Right now the problem with DnT is that there is no universally good beater. Both Crusader and Serra Avengers have their pros and cons. We want human type + flying + vigilance + protection + x > 3 toughness.
    All I have to say is I do NOT want the "best" beater to have a toughness greater than 3. I would very much like to be able to tutor for my beater, ideally. It's why I have disliked Avenger for so long, and while I've got her in my list currently, if they printed a version of Kor Skyfisher with a toughness 2, I'd drop her immediately.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Flickerwisp is still a pretty powerful creature without vial. And certainly our win% increases more when opening with vial, but our deck hardly falls to pieces without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    All I have to say is I do NOT want the "best" beater to have a toughness greater than 3. I would very much like to be able to tutor for my beater, ideally. It's why I have disliked Avenger for so long, and while I've got her in my list currently, if they printed a version of Kor Skyfisher with a toughness 2, I'd drop her immediately.

I've never understood this mindset. If you have one tutorable beater (Stoneforge or 1 Crusader or a Flickerwisp) then why does having another threat that is not tutorable a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by zakzes View Post
    Flickerwisp is still a pretty powerful creature without vial. And certainly our win% increases more when opening with vial, but our deck hardly falls to pieces without it.
    You're right it's still a decent creature. But what I'm pointing out is that eliminating Flickerwisp opens up a lot of unconventional but powerful deck configurations that this deck has not explored before. We cannot simply talk about how good Flickerwisp is; we must talk about how good the alternative is and compare.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post

Is this the droid you're looking for? (it's not, this card sucks).
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Bryant Cook

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    It is (it doesn't, it actually rules supreme).

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post

No. It says creature, not permanent. It costs 1 more. No.
    Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    It is (it doesn't, it actually rules supreme).
    No. Hot garbage.

Thread Information