Page 450 of 533 FirstFirst ... 350400440446447448449450451452453454460500 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 9,000 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by dnt4lyfe View Post
    i have a legit question, is gideon ally of zendikar or palace jailer actually good in the deck. I feel like they make the deck more clunky. I usally find beating 4c control not too hard if you just play the tempo game of deny them mana and beat with mirrans/equipment. I'm on a 2 serra/mirran list thinking of going 4 mirran.'

But honest question what does palace jailer accomplish. It feels like the biggest win more card to me. I've been playing the deck for like 2 years, and decided to finally make an account on here to post. But against pile they have tons of creatures to steal monarch with, if were winning and they don't have a single drs/strix to steal monarch with and we success grind them out, we were probably already winning?

Gideons are either amazing or really bad. They can win a stalemight quite easy, but they go against the main stategy against pile, which is attack there mana base very quickly and beat down.
    Do you people actually play the matchups you talk about? The 4c matchup is abysmal, Michael Blonde has even said that playing mono W D&T on MTGO (which is full of the deck) is basically pointless. You might cheese out a few wins because your opponent doesn't draw the appropriate removal with 4 Crusaders but in general it's a card that doesn't do much in a lot of matchups.

Jailer gives you value as the game goes longer and that is exactly what you need for the matchup, the same goes for P&K if you are on the red splash. I'm not sure why drawing extra cards against a deck that can get out of binds by playing the best cards in 4 colors. The best way to beat the deck is to try to cut off their CA engines with RIP and then gain CA with cards like Jailer, P&K, Recruiter, Flickerwisp instead of trying to cheese someone out and hope that they don't draw one of non black or green removal they have in their deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Unban Survival of the Fittest Activist
    Oct 2016
    Netherlands

How about Absolute Grace (All creatures gain pro black) as an SB card if your so worred about the Czech pile list?

From what I am seeing at first glance (looking at some random lists) its DRS, Strix, Fatal Push, Leovold, Decay, Command. All black cards. The only non black card is snapcaster. (that said, even if they snap, whatever their snapping aint gonna hit your creatures unless its the singleton lightning bolt they have)

I have played with Absolute Law ALLOT, its in my SB 4/5 tournaments (mainly because I friggin HATE burn to the core, we also have Lands/Jund/Dark Maverick players that use Grove + P. fire) Laws are actually pretty decent cards, their only removal for it would be their Abrupt Decays.
    Decks I own: 2x DnTx [B,G,R], Deadguy Ale, Maverick, Elves, Enchantress [WG/GU], Goblins, (Shardless) BUG, Food Chain, Aluren, High tide (reset/spiral), UR delver, RUG delver, Grixis Delver, Reanimator, Lands, Dark Depths (turbo / selesnya / hoogaak)

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. A.E. (1879 - 1955)

captain they have about 3 ways to kill mirran's, i often find it easy to play an aggro/tempo early game and just finish them off late game with mirran. I can also just grind them out with flickerwisp/equipment. Not as reliable as it was vs shardless. But my win rate vs 4c is about 70%. I don't even brother bringing in rip, as it does the opposite of what i want to do. Which is create a a good flow of board presense early game. I bring in more ways to disrupt there mana base game 2 aswell as cj's and other ways to deal with dread of night. I often found palace jailer was more a dead draw than a useful one.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Emurian View Post
    ...snip...

#3 Added Tidehowler scullers for multiple reasons: A: They can be pitched to Chrome Mox to give 2 colours,

...snip...
    Tidehollow Sculler can't be pitched because it's an artifact. Chrome Mox requires non-artifact.

Went 9-2 at EW for 15th place. 4x Crusader build was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Nice job!

So many 9-2s fighting for that last top 8 spot.

Nice work Medea!

Pleasure to play against you (even if I lost); that SoWaP on Mirran Crusader sure ended the game quickly :D

Look forward to your tourney report and thoughts moving forward.... all these delver decks in top8 have to be good for us right?

Oct 2016
    Germantown, Md

Nice work! What list did you use?

Choke seems like it would have been a sweet meta call with all the blue decks running wild.

What is this chatter about tabernacle being a good sideboard card for death and taxes?

Saw a thread on reddit's MTGLegacy that said a guy has had success with Tabernacle in the board. Thoughts? Works as a mana denial card against go-wide decks (Elves, Pyromancer, Empty the Warrens).

I tried to search the thread but most results looked like tournament results, with one post from 2010 being a green Living Wish DnT build (but not comments on Tabernacle).
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Saw a thread on reddit's MTGLegacy that said a guy has had success with Tabernacle in the board. Thoughts? Works as a mana denial card against go-wide decks (Elves, Pyromancer, Empty the Warrens).

I tried to search the thread but most results looked like tournament results, with one post from 2010 being a green Living Wish DnT build (but not comments on Tabernacle).
    Does not seem great to play a one of non-mana producing labd in a creature heavy deck. Is it like... fine vs the aforementioned matchups? Maybe. But there’s way better options. Just seems way too cute

Jun 2015
    NYC

Has anyone tested a copy of Dread of Night in the main yet? Could be powerful in the mirror.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    Has anyone tested a copy of Dread of Night in the main yet? Could be powerful in the mirror.
    Sulfur Elemental seems better. You can cast it if you don't have a vial, fetch for it with recruiter and vial it in for the ultimate blowouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Problem with Sulfur Elemental is that it interacts worse with your own Tabernacle. Dread of Night doesn't require an upkeep cost.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    Roasted.

Oct 2016
    Germantown, Md

Awesome report. I appreciate that you mention the blunders you made. It reminds me of losing round 8 at x-1 at the DC Open last year with lethal on board to not paying tabernacle trigger. Long days of magic can really take a toll on you.

I really love SoWaP as well. A crusader can ends things very quickly with one of these. I remember living the dream and doing 18 points of damage in the mirror in one attack.

Quote Originally Posted by pbrod88 View Post
    Awesome report. I appreciate that you mention the blunders you made. It reminds me of losing round 8 at x-1 at the DC Open last year with lethal on board to not paying tabernacle trigger. Long days of magic can really take a toll on you.

I really love SoWaP as well. A crusader can ends things very quickly with one of these. I remember living the dream and doing 18 points of damage in the mirror in one attack.
    I connected with SoWaP on a Crusader against AsmodeusDM. I have his life at 23, and then a win next to my name. I think that was the time I put both SoFaI and SoWaP on Crusader. That was fun. There was another fun scenario in round 11 where my Flickerwisp with SoWaP raced a TNN with Jitte. My opponent was forced to gain four life a turn with Jitte or die. I mean, he still died, but it took a few turns longer.

I connected with SoWaP on a Crusader against AsmodeusDM. I have his life at 23, and then a win next to my name. I think that was the time I put both SoFaI and SoWaP on Crusader. That was fun. There was another fun scenario in round 11 where my Flickerwisp with SoWaP raced a TNN with Jitte. My opponent was forced to gain four life a turn with Jitte or die. I mean, he still died, but it took a few turns longer.

As I recall we played a long back and forth game while we battled over resources for you to be able to play SoWap and equip in one turn; including me making a 2/2 soldier each turn off Gideon to chump block Mirran Crusader.

Eventually your patience won out and I was out of answers to equipment (I believe I had already cast 2 CJudge's that game) and you got it equipped and swung; I had 4 in hand so you redirected the first SoWap to Gideon to off him and did a total of 12 to me. The next turn I drew and didn't have anything to deal with the equipment or a Revoker capable of blocking and conceded.

That sounds about right. I played the mirror 4 times this weekend, so they started to blur together in my mind. Gideon can be a real pain in the mirror when you stick him on the right board. Derczo almost aggro'd me out just by making a couple of tokens and then making the emblem.

That sounds about right. I played the mirror 4 times this weekend, so they started to blur together in my mind. Gideon can be a real pain in the mirror when you stick him on the right board. Derczo almost aggro'd me out just by making a couple of tokens and then making the emblem.
    Agreed; I played the mirror a second time on the day and won (2-0). In particular on the back of a nice surprise (for my opponent) who late in a game killed off my sole blocker, animated his Gideon, equipped Jitte, swang and pumped GIdeon with all the counters for lethal.... and then I bounced it with Karakas :D

Apparently he wasn't aware of the exact implications of the new Legendary supertype rule for planeswalkers :D

Thread Information