Page 464 of 533 FirstFirst ... 364414454460461462463464465466467468474514 ... LastLast
Results 9,261 to 9,280 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Sounds like he was just one Sanctum Prelate short of handling it.
    I might be underrating how good Prelate would have been on that board, but if I'm not mistaken he only had two lands anyway and no vial, and we he was facing down at least one Maze of Ith. Also Long had Barbarian Ring in the deck and if at any time that pops up it becomes actual zero percent. Another issue is that while Long wasn't slowplaying by any means, he was taking very long turns. He had an exploration, Loam, stages, and was being very careful to protect his Punishing Fires. Lands in that spot is a massive favorite to win, and will also very likely eat up huge portions of the clock. DnT in that spot is commited to just jamming any basic Plains, Recruiter, Vial, or Prelate into play and otherwise doing absolutely nothing, while Lands is going to take 30-40 seconds a turn almost by default.

I don't know his exact sideboard, or what his outs were, and honestly it is possible he wasn't even really looking at the clock. My gut reaction, especially with the clock ticking down on the screen right in front of me and a full look at his opponents, was that he just wasn't going to win and using 4 extra minutes to lose just makes G3 that much harder. I could very well be wrong but staring at that clock ticking down just bugged me out for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by geneyquakes View Post
    I might be underrating how good Prelate would have been on that board, but if I'm not mistaken he only had two lands anyway and no vial, and we he was facing down at least one Maze of Ith. Also Long had Barbarian Ring in the deck and if at any time that pops up it becomes actual zero percent. Another issue is that while Long wasn't slowplaying by any means, he was taking very long turns. He had an exploration, Loam, stages, and was being very careful to protect his Punishing Fires. Lands in that spot is a massive favorite to win, and will also very likely eat up huge portions of the clock. DnT in that spot is commited to just jamming any basic Plains, Recruiter, Vial, or Prelate into play and otherwise doing absolutely nothing, while Lands is going to take 30-40 seconds a turn almost by default.

I don't know his exact sideboard, or what his outs were, and honestly it is possible he wasn't even really looking at the clock. My gut reaction, especially with the clock ticking down on the screen right in front of me and a full look at his opponents, was that he just wasn't going to win and using 4 extra minutes to lose just makes G3 that much harder. I could very well be wrong but staring at that clock ticking down just bugged me out for some reason.
    When you are in a feature match, you usually have no view of the clock. It's a little frustrating. The players probably had no idea how far into the round they were.

Jan 2018
    Regensburg, Germany

Hello fellow Death and Taxes enthusiast!

I have a problem i hope you could help me solve. This is my current List. Im splashing Magus of the Moon and Pontiff with 4 Caverns and Vials (Yes i know the numbers, odds etc of doing so; Thx Thrabenuniversity / Medea ) and i quite like the concept. You gain extra point in Matchups where Cavern is awesome, loose some because it does not cast Swords/ Gideon, but get some free wins against Bug/Czech Pile decks/ TNN etc. But thats not why im here...

My list:

4 Aether Vial
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

4 Flickerwisp
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Mirran Crusader
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Magus of the Moon / Pontiff

1 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Karakas
    8 Plains

Sideboard:

2 Path to Exile
    1 Councils Judgement
    2 Orzhov Pontiff / Magus of the Moon
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Questions:

1. What configuration of Pontiffs / Magus would you choose and why. 2 Magus Main, 2 Pontiff Sideboard? 1+1 Main and 1+1 Side ? Only 1 Pontiff ? Let me hear your thoughts

2. I wanna squeeze in a Leonin Relic Warden to improve the (nowadays not so good) Sneak & Show Matchup (Omniscience ). Thoughts and if you aggree... which card to cut?

3. How do you fight the "new" Miracles ( Search for Azcanta Version ) ? At the moment im relying on Councils, Sword of War and Peace and Gideons... Any card im missing out of my board? Is it time to switch to Cataclysms again instead of Gideons ?

Thank you for reading and or responding! If you have any questions yourself regarding my list feel free to ask. Im no professional but im grinding this deck since 3 years

1. Magus of the Moon is stupid good. He steal so many games. I'd run two main.
    2. If you want to fit in Relic-Warder, I'd drop CJ. They cover many of the same things.
    3. In addition to what you started, Pia and Kiran Nalaar is really good at grinding people out. Gideon and Cataclysm are about the same. Gideon is a bit better when you are ahead or at parity. Cataclysm is better when you are behind.

I'll chip in that if I was running a splash build without Council's Judgment, I'd prefer Cataclysm to Gideon because it deals with Planeswalkers.

Jan 2018
    Regensburg, Germany

Thx Medea and Moctzal for your input!
    I will stick with 2 Magi Main and Gideon then.
    And i will test the CJ - Leonin swap. I already swapped the second CJ for a Pontiff since he also gets rid of TNN and i always felt that was one of the main reasons to play CJ at all.

If anyone else has some general critical thoughts about my list please feel free to share

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I got another 5-0 with a Daredevil list last night. I'm 100% sold on the card at this point. I think cutting a SfM for the Daredevil is a reasonable choice, they play similar roles.
    Hey everyone; just wanted to briefly chime in.. I ran Daredevil at SCG Dallas a week ago (my team got 20th place) and I went 9-4 (and 2 matches didn't get to finish due to my teammates)

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=118322

Daredevil was great all day and I will be playing 2 going forward.

#1 the gotcha moments are real; until people figure it out of course. My favorite moment:

I had Batterskull, thalia, Flicker, and Mom in play vs. Esper deathblade opponent who had his own skull in play. I attacked with my skull and flickerwisp; he made his block and then cast Zealous Persecution. I vialed in Daredevil and Dazed his own ZP.

#2 Having another 2-drop first striker was very relevant; just hold equipment so well.

#3 being a RED creature came up a lot; lots of dreads of night.

#4 I did end up boarding out a SFM in many games because it felt like mystic and daredevil overlapped a lot of the times.

#5 I mainly bolted and brainstormed. I would have like another recruiter just to increase my capability to "perfect brainstorm." The brainstorm where I drew a recruiter and was able to put back two redundant thalias; then recruiter to find a relevant threat and shuffle away the 2 extra thalia's felt so busted :D

#6 I played 3 plains. I really would have liked 1 more.

Also wanted to add Cataclysm was busted for me ALL DAY. I just ended the game so many times with that one card one time nabbing 2 Lily's and 4 creatures in one go. A few Jace's; even an Ugin (vs. 12 post).

Quote Originally Posted by AsmodeusDM View Post
    I had Batterskull, thalia, Flicker, and Mom in play vs. Esper deathblade opponent who had his own skull in play. I attacked with my skull and flickerwisp; he made his block and then cast Zealous Persecution. I vialed in Daredevil and Dazed his own ZP.
    Mmmmm, I like it when you talk dirty.

Seriously though, DFD opens up a ton of really weird lines. I had a game on stream last night where I got to Fatal Push and Decay two threats out of Delver and buy a ton of time. That's some great value and flexibility. I'm going to keep testing the card. There's some tension with other parts of the deck (especially RiP and Thalia), but I am officially intrigued. I'm not 100% convinced it is better than other options, but I'm sure I want to play it for another week or two to gather more data. My results have been 3-2 every time in 3 or 4 leagues now (which is sub par for me), but the card itself has been fine. If I could stop getting paired against Elves...

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    If I could stop getting paired against Elves...
    We dead.

to Kaesejay question ;

i run more or less same config . 4 cavern 1 pontif main / 1 magus main .. and one each in SB... having 2 reqruiters is enough for me to justify the one/one split game for one .... as stellar as they can be you have still also games where they are underwhelming.

one thing however i did change after with a lot of initial reluctancy was removing 1 rishadan port for an extra white source .. because the need and constraint on White is just so preassuring... even more so with 4 flickerwisps and gideon / cataslism aspirations.. its not the blasphemy i thought it initially to be...

and one less port, is one less sub optimal port activation to worry about ... still think port is the most skill intensive card by far in the deck, with lots of room for error's to be made

greerts

PleasantKenobi recently did a runthrough of RW Taxes with Daredevil full of usual memes and dry British humor. It's an interesting list with more 3 drops than I'm really comfortable playing and only 1 Cavern.

3 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Dire Fleet Daredevil
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Flickerwisp
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Magus of the Moon
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

4 Aether Vial
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Cavern of Souls
    3 Karakas
    4 Rishadan Ports
    4 Wasteland
    3 Plateau
    3 Plains
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Windswept Heath

SB:
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Disenchant
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Honor the Pure
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Cunning Sparkmage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Magus of the Moon

In case you're at work or something, the results of the league worked out like this:
    0-2 Grixis Delver
    2-0 Spanish Inquisition?
    2-1 BR Reanimator
    0-2 Grixis Delver
    ?-2 Deadguy Ale?

It felt like he was pretty out of practice and kept risky hands. It was still entertaining, and I think his variant is at least somewhat worth discussing. A lot more WW cards despite the red splash, and I'm feel pretty good about his decision to have a third Magus in the board.

It seemed like a pile of randomly thrown together cards poorly piloted.

That video's largely for entertainment purposes. Not much to be learned there.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Moctzal View Post
    It seemed like a pile of randomly thrown together cards poorly piloted.

That video's largely for entertainment purposes. Not much to be learned there.
    Haha yeah who would run mother of runes, thalia guardian of thraben, wastelands, ports, sfm, etc in D&T anyways?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

New favorite Dire Fleet Daredevil story.

Played against Goblins with Pyrokinesis. Play DFD, use that plus exile an excess red card from my hand and Plague Wind him.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Haha yeah who would run mother of runes, thalia guardian of thraben, wastelands, ports, sfm, etc in D&T anyways?
    It's the varied card choices made that differ from other RW lists that don't look very reasonable. Cutting a Mother of Runes, running 4 Flickerwisp, some of the sideboard decisions, etc. It doesn't look very reasonable, and there's no explanation given. So it appears to be a set of whimsical choices made by someone who's not concerned with selecting cards with a reasonable process in mind. It's just someone making a video for entertainment purposes, with a new hotness variant of a deck the creator likes. That's fine, but I don't think it merits any serious discussion here.

So the obviously stupid question is, does Dire Fleet Daredevil make it worth running Grafdigger's Cage instead of Rest in Peace?

Clearly, RiP is just solid against DRS and Goyf in ways that Cage is not, but Cage is very useful versus Elves, stops Snapcaster Mage, is better as a turn 1 play against Reanimator and good against Dredge, decent against ANT (not TES, if I remember correctly), etc.

Are you all siding in RiP enough against the DRS and Goyf decks to make it worth it?

Since so many people run a 1-of Surgical Extraction/Faerie Macabre alongside RiP, does it change how we think about graveyard hate? Or is the nonbo simply not that much of a problem?

I'm guessing I am missing some giant hole in my thinking.

@piroko139

I think the list is sub-optimal. The pilot has a post going on Reddit on /r/mtglegacy if you want to follow up there.

@Redtwister

Unsure on how I feel about the RiP/DFD situation. I'm actively working on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    @piroko139

I think the list is sub-optimal. The pilot has a post going on Reddit on /r/mtglegacy if you want to follow up there.

@Redtwister

Unsure on how I feel about the RiP/DFD situation. I'm actively working on this.
    I know in modern when I play Snapcaster decks, I like having something like a single RIP for the really heavy GY decks like Dredge or Living End, and then 1-2 Relic of Progenitus against moderate GY decks (Grixis Shadow) to keep my own cards in my own GY for Snapcaster Mage.

I can see some merit in considering a spread of GY hate, like 1 RIP, 1 Relic of Progenitus, 1 Grafdigger's Cage, 1 Surgical Extraction, 1 Containment Priest and then bring in the ones that are good in each given matchup.

Cage also already has some other upsides (1 mana hate is a little faster vs Reanimator and ANT, it hoses Green Sun's Zenith, and give you some diversity if you have multiple hate pieces in play vs cards like Reverent Silence and Echoing Truth).

So it depends on how the things lost from multiple copies of RIP compare to the upside on DFD (I think it'll take some times and matchup analysis to figure out if it's worthwhile to slide the GY hate configuration in the deck around).

My LGS had two of these decks appearing out of the blue.. couldnt find any answers to their mana acceleration, ballistas and steel overseer pumping them up..
    Any advice on how to take on this matchup with mono W?

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18145&d=312501&f=LE
    Last edited by Enesta; 02-01-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Thread Information