Page 517 of 533 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517518519520521527 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,340 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Speaking of thinking outside of the box:

I've been trying a BW-list for a bit since it can use Pontiff to fix some bad match-ups like Elves and the mirror. Also tried Kambal but didn't like it.

Before this I played and Eldrazi splash (for Thought-Knot and Displacer) and a red splash for things like Daredevil.

Missing the Thought-Knots for peeking and removing cards, I've had a look at Tidehollow Sculler and Kitesail Freebooter. The last one being easy to cast since it's a human and only has a single mana-symbol. It also flies wich is great for carrying equipment.

Anywho, working on the following list, what do you think about it?

Mana-stuff:
    7 Plains
    4 Scrubland
    2 Karakas
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port

Can't do without:
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Swords to Plowshares

SFM-pack:
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

Utility-stuff:
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Sanctum Prelate (great card, dropped 1 to SB to try Freebooter)
    1 Remorseful Cleric (love this card when testing 2 main deck, no room for it when testing Freebooter)
    1 Palace Jailer
    4 Kitesail Freebooter
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    3 Flickerwisp (never liked to have 4)
    1 Isolate (I like to have a fifth removal spell next to STP)

// sideboard
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Phyrexian Revoker (already moved to 2 main and 1 side. testing Freebooter should be ok moving this to side completely)
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Mirran Crusader
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Declaration in Stone
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage|
    1 Cataclysm
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Plaguecrafter
    2 Damping Sphere
    1 Act of Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Draggo View Post
    Speaking of thinking outside of the box:

I've been trying a BW-list for a bit since it can use Pontiff to fix some bad match-ups like Elves and the mirror. Also tried Kambal but didn't like it.

Before this I played and Eldrazi splash (for Thought-Knot and Displacer) and a red splash for things like Daredevil.

Missing the Thought-Knots for peeking and removing cards, I've had a look at Tidehollow Sculler and Kitesail Freebooter. The last one being easy to cast since it's a human and only has a single mana-symbol. It also flies wich is great for carrying equipment.

Anywho, working on the following list, what do you think about it?

Mana-stuff:
    7 Plains
    4 Scrubland
    2 Karakas
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port

Can't do without:
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Swords to Plowshares

SFM-pack:
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

Utility-stuff:
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Sanctum Prelate (great card, dropped 1 to SB to try Freebooter)
    1 Remorseful Cleric (love this card when testing 2 main deck, no room for it when testing Freebooter)
    1 Palace Jailer
    4 Kitesail Freebooter
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    3 Flickerwisp (never liked to have 4)
    1 Isolate (I like to have a fifth removal spell next to STP)

// sideboard
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Phyrexian Revoker (already moved to 2 main and 1 side. testing Freebooter should be ok moving this to side completely)
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Mirran Crusader
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Declaration in Stone
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage|
    1 Cataclysm
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Plaguecrafter
    2 Damping Sphere
    1 Act of Authority
    I think it is worth trying. I like Kitesail myself.

Changes:
    +1 Cavern of Souls
    Mix 2 Scrublands and 3 Plains with 5 fetches.
    -1 Remorseful Cleric, +1 Mirran Crusader main. Being able to be aggressive is more important right now and being able to attacked through B creatures and nonsense like Strix is very important.

I would be very tempted to replace Isolate and Prelate for 2 Bob. Bob is always a must-consider if you go WB.

Oct 2017
    Tampere, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    DnT is really good against tier 2 decks right now and pretty bad against tier 1 decks, which means it's gonna crush locals and do fine in leagues, but it's gonna struggle at larger competitive events.
    Eldrazi, SNT and Death's Shadow from DTB are good matchups? Storm as always is a cointoss.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Eldrazi is definitely not a good matchup, at best it's even. The deck going bigger and playing Walking Ballista hasn't helped. (The saving grace is that Eldrazi players tend to be...Eldrazi players.) SnT in its current Omni-happy incarnation is also, at best even. Death's Shadow is pretty good, but sometimes you're just gonna get Dread of Nighted. In all cases you have decks where the core of the deck might form a good matchup, but the builds have adjusted to be better vs DnT.

But really the decks to beat criteria is kinda nonsense - Miracles and Grixis Control are the real tier 1 at the moment and are gonna be the decks you need to beat on day 2 of a real event, and DnT is unfavored vs both of them. I'm not saying any of these matches are impossible, I play and beat these guys all the time. But I'm not particularly excited to find out I'm playing vs. any of them, nor Storm.

Agree with everything iatee just said. Totally encapsulates my feelings on DNT

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Spirit guide mana is best against combo. It’s pretty bleh against Daze, honestly. Pitching it to counter Daze does not actually happen. Thalia gets played turn 1 instead. In fact, anything that gets Thalia on turn 1 or Big Thalia in turn 2 deserves serious consideration. (Mox, Petal)
    Are you playing Big Thalia right now? Ever since I switched from Maverick I have missed her.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Are you playing Big Thalia right now? Ever since I switched from Maverick I have missed her.
    No. :(

As much as she slows down most opponents, she is ghastly bad in the mirror, and not much better against Miracles. She is in my "reserve stack" though. You know the one.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    No. :(

As much as she slows down most opponents, she is ghastly bad in the mirror, and not much better against Miracles. She is in my "reserve stack" though. You know the one.
    I played her hardcore in Maverick where you can turn 2 her consistently but haven’t found other uses other than the early bomb. The first strike is surprisingly relevant and I wish I could fit her in and player her a turn earlier.

Good local player here is running this in his 60, don't know his sideboard. I have a love-hate relationship with Familiar, but he is hedging on slowing down mana and countering spells to make it harder for Grixis and UW Miracles to get their plan going.

Lands 23
    10 Plains
    3 Karakas
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port

Non-Creature Spells 11
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Creatures 26
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Judge's Familiar
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by redtwister View Post
    Good local player here is running this in his 60, don't know his sideboard. I have a love-hate relationship with Familiar, but he is hedging on slowing down mana and countering spells to make it harder for Grixis and UW Miracles to get their plan going.

Lands 23
    10 Plains
    3 Karakas
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port

Non-Creature Spells 11
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Creatures 26
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Judge's Familiar
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    I have had success out grinding the Miracles/Grixis matchups, anyone else beating Grixis?

My Wednesday stream falls on Halloween! To celebrate, I'll be doing a giveaway at the end of round 5. The winner will get to add a deck of their choice to the queue! If you've been looking for a chance to get me to play a specific D&T build, this is a great opportunity. Tune in at 7:00 PM EST to see some D&T gameplay. https://twitch.tv/deathandtaxesftw

Hi "D&T" player's, this is my tournament report yesterday (42 Player's):

T1 Miracle (1-2) 0-1
    G1: I leave, the opponent play island and I already understand that this will be a difficult match for me; I see no threats and thanks to his mentors and other prowless he closes games early
    G2: I hold a strong hand, and after having removed a mentor and all his pairs with surgical I'm preparing to win with the creatures equippated every time with sowap
    G3: he has a strong hand he this time, I try to stay in the game but when he palys first jace tms and then teferi I understand that I can not get out of it anymore

T2 Lands (2-0) 1-1
    G1: the opponent starts with taiga, I understand the deck, he begins to grind the lands with life from the loam but some of my perfect wasteland and some of his mistakes make me win the first race game
    G2: I can play surgical on life from the loam and at that point the game is downhill, after several rounds opponent manages to create 20/20 and attacks but my flickerwisp protected by mother is bigger and I win the turn after

T3 Painter (2-0) 2-1
    G1: I leave, opponent plays grindstone, I quickly decide the strategy to use, I hold it with port until it plays painter but it is tapped out, in my turn with 4 lands and thalia got exile painter and I am going to victory
    G2: part him (he mulligates a 6), the game ends soon, vial and ports allow me to play reoker who calls grindstone and then a prelate to 1, I have removals in hand, opponent a few life grants conceding not seeing anything that could save him

T4 BR Reanimator (2-1) 3-1
    G1: I leave, I know that deck plays the oppo because he is a friend of "game"; unfortunately for me, however, shows me chancellor and delay of a turn my plans and this will be decisive, in turn 3 supports too many cretures
    and I can only grant
    G2: I leave, this time playing very well I can avoid making him reanimate some beast by supporting a RIP after 2 grains were brought into his graveyard, trying to recover by splitting the spell with assassin's trophy and with cabal on me but I answer with priest in response that makes me lose all hope to my opponent
    G3: he starts (he mulligates to 5), even in this round I can play RIP of a second after he puts 2 cards in the graveyard (one was a beast), I put the board on and I'm going to win

T5 BUG Control (0-2) 3-2
    G1: G1: he starts playing sea subterranean, I understand that it is a control, after several turns in which my creatures swept me away I have only mirran and he gurmag and 2 snapcaster, comes a flickerwisp but being 4 life points is sacrificed for block a snapcaster; then shoot SOFAI but being him at 14 and I at 2 I can not be lethal while being able to equipe sword with mirran
    G2: epic; I come to 44 life points thanks to batterskull saved by several strix (1 of which replayed through unhearth) but unfortunately I can never scratch his liliana TLH that is preparing to make the emblem with the opponent that it was 5 life points; from there to the next 5-6 rounds I do not see any more creatures and I die from zombies

T6: GRIXIS CONTROL (0-2) 3-3
    G1: I leave, but after two lands I understand that it is another control this time grixis. In this match virtually removes everything and kills me with strix and gurmag
    G2: I leave, he control me and then plays engineered plague (calls knight) for my last bulwark or mirran; the result does not change a few bolt and push placed well lead me to defeat; I made several mistakes myself too

LIST:
    Creatures [23]
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Mirran Crusader
    4 Flickerwisp
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

Instants [4]
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Artifacts [7]
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Aether Vial

Lands [23]
    3 Karakas
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    6 Plains
    6 Snow-covered Plains

SIDEBOARD
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Sword of War and Peace

CONCLUSION:
    TOP 8: 2 GRIXIS CONTROL, 1 ELVESH, 1 UR DELVER, 1 MIRACLE (opponent of my first turn), BUG CONTROL (opponent of my fifth turn), BURN AND MONO-RED STORM
    At this moment there are many controls in my part as can be seen from the top 8. Surely I'll have to change some main card (4 mirran ??) and something in side (2 cataclysm ??)

I wait for you to give advice.

Also I ask with the current list as I should have sideboarding vs. MONO-RED STORM (put and cut cards) and prelate to what number should I call?

Thank you
    At the next report

Quote Originally Posted by AT87 View Post
    Hi "D&T" player's, this is my tournament report yesterday (42 Player's):

T1 Miracle (1-2) 0-1
    G1: I leave, the opponent play island and I already understand that this will be a difficult match for me; I see no threats and thanks to his mentors and other prowless he closes games early
    G2: I hold a strong hand, and after having removed a mentor and all his pairs with surgical I'm preparing to win with the creatures equippated every time with sowap
    G3: he has a strong hand he this time, I try to stay in the game but when he palys first jace tms and then teferi I understand that I can not get out of it anymore

T2 Lands (2-0) 1-1
    G1: the opponent starts with taiga, I understand the deck, he begins to grind the lands with life from the loam but some of my perfect wasteland and some of his mistakes make me win the first race game
    G2: I can play surgical on life from the loam and at that point the game is downhill, after several rounds opponent manages to create 20/20 and attacks but my flickerwisp protected by mother is bigger and I win the turn after

T3 Painter (2-0) 2-1
    G1: I leave, opponent plays grindstone, I quickly decide the strategy to use, I hold it with port until it plays painter but it is tapped out, in my turn with 4 lands and thalia got exile painter and I am going to victory
    G2: part him (he mulligates a 6), the game ends soon, vial and ports allow me to play reoker who calls grindstone and then a prelate to 1, I have removals in hand, opponent a few life grants conceding not seeing anything that could save him

T4 BR Reanimator (2-1) 3-1
    G1: I leave, I know that deck plays the oppo because he is a friend of "game"; unfortunately for me, however, shows me chancellor and delay of a turn my plans and this will be decisive, in turn 3 supports too many cretures
    and I can only grant
    G2: I leave, this time playing very well I can avoid making him reanimate some beast by supporting a RIP after 2 grains were brought into his graveyard, trying to recover by splitting the spell with assassin's trophy and with cabal on me but I answer with priest in response that makes me lose all hope to my opponent
    G3: he starts (he mulligates to 5), even in this round I can play RIP of a second after he puts 2 cards in the graveyard (one was a beast), I put the board on and I'm going to win

T5 BUG Control (0-2) 3-2
    G1: G1: he starts playing sea subterranean, I understand that it is a control, after several turns in which my creatures swept me away I have only mirran and he gurmag and 2 snapcaster, comes a flickerwisp but being 4 life points is sacrificed for block a snapcaster; then shoot SOFAI but being him at 14 and I at 2 I can not be lethal while being able to equipe sword with mirran
    G2: epic; I come to 44 life points thanks to batterskull saved by several strix (1 of which replayed through unhearth) but unfortunately I can never scratch his liliana TLH that is preparing to make the emblem with the opponent that it was 5 life points; from there to the next 5-6 rounds I do not see any more creatures and I die from zombies

T6: GRIXIS CONTROL (0-2) 3-3
    G1: I leave, but after two lands I understand that it is another control this time grixis. In this match virtually removes everything and kills me with strix and gurmag
    G2: I leave, he control me and then plays engineered plague (calls knight) for my last bulwark or mirran; the result does not change a few bolt and push placed well lead me to defeat; I made several mistakes myself too

LIST:
    Creatures [23]
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Mirran Crusader
    4 Flickerwisp
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

Instants [4]
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Artifacts [7]
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Aether Vial

Lands [23]
    3 Karakas
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    6 Plains
    6 Snow-covered Plains

SIDEBOARD
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Sword of War and Peace

CONCLUSION:
    TOP 8: 2 GRIXIS CONTROL, 1 ELVESH, 1 UR DELVER, 1 MIRACLE (opponent of my first turn), BUG CONTROL (opponent of my fifth turn), BURN AND MONO-RED STORM
    At this moment there are many controls in my part as can be seen from the top 8. Surely I'll have to change some main card (4 mirran ??) and something in side (2 cataclysm ??)

I wait for you to give advice.

Also I ask with the current list as I should have sideboarding vs. MONO-RED STORM (put and cut cards) and prelate to what number should I call?

Thank you
    At the next report
    Do you know who won the tournament? Against Ruby Storm, you want Sanctum Prelate, Rest in Peace, Surgical Extraction, Ethersworn Canonist, and Judgment.

Swords is dead in the matchup so that's the first card to go. Palace Jailer is way too slow and Crusaders don't do anything. Flickerwisps are also pretty slow so you can shave one. You want the Judgment's so you can exile their cost reducers (Ruby Medallion and Helm). Sanctum Prelate typically goes on 2 for this reason; she hits their 2 mana artifacts and Burning Wish and a couple of rituals. RIP, Surgical, and Canonist are all pretty self explanatory.

Also, with Revoker you normally want to name Simian Spirit Guide. SSG gets around Thalia and your opponent can still cast Lotus Petal for storm count so hitting Guide is better.

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    Do you know who won the tournament? Against Ruby Storm, you want Sanctum Prelate, Rest in Peace, Surgical Extraction, Ethersworn Canonist, and Judgment.

Swords is dead in the matchup so that's the first card to go. Palace Jailer is way too slow and Crusaders don't do anything. Flickerwisps are also pretty slow so you can shave one. You want the Judgment's so you can exile their cost reducers (Ruby Medallion and Helm). Sanctum Prelate typically goes on 2 for this reason; she hits their 2 mana artifacts and Burning Wish and a couple of rituals. RIP, Surgical, and Canonist are all pretty self explanatory.

Also, with Revoker you normally want to name Simian Spirit Guide. SSG gets around Thalia and your opponent can still cast Lotus Petal for storm count so hitting Guide is better.
    unfortunately no. Since me and my friends were eliminated we only look at the first round of the top 8.
    If I had to predict I would say miracle in my opinion the player was very strong

For prelate to 2 cuts also abrade (I think he played them in this event) and grapeshot but also 3 is not bad and cuts act on impulse, bonus round, seething song.
    So I do not really know

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Just registered DnT for an 8 round legacy league and plan on taking it to SCG Vegas for the Trios event.... very excited and happy with my list

For NeckBird
    ur delver won the tournament

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

First round is against Grixis Control with 2 Dread of Night 2 Marsh Casualties and a second Liliana in the board.

Yuck....

Update! 2-1 over Grixis Control

Game 1: 4 moms on the board

Game 2: got wrecked... removal into planeswalkers

Game 3: Thalia + equipment +Gideon + RiP

Moral of the story: draw your sideboard cards kids.
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 11-08-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Today's article is another generic article, this time focusing on improving your experience and results at events. http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=2139

I'll also have a guest tournament reports from EW up later this week at some point.

Great article. Thanks for your input Phil, I appreciate your work for the community.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Hey team

Where is everyone on mainboard Walking Ballista?

I have been playing it for a few weeks and it is, imho, absolutely nuts.

Is anyone else testing?

Thread Information