Page 526 of 533 FirstFirst ... 26426476516522523524525526527528529530 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,520 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Cavern of Souls is a trap, imho, especially with that man different creature types, white non-creature cards in the 75 and SFM activations. Never was a fan in Cavern in D&T for that reason.

2-4 Mariner and 1-2 Soulherder is probably the most you should run. Maybe Meddling Mage in the SB, but that's it. Definitely no blue noncreature cards.
    Well atleast Mariner is a Human, that helps. Cavern for Soulherder is a bit tough.
    I am curious though to try both out, not sure what mana base though, I own 2 tundra's, so that helps...

No blue. Its not right for this deck yet, maybe ever. I own 4 Tundra.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I've played 4 rounds yesterday with my Uw D&T list, and went 3-1. Round 1, I lost 1-2 against BUG Leovold, but the third game was pre-decided by drawing a 7-card no-lander, followed by 6-card all-lander, followed by a 5 -card no-lander, followed by a keepable mulligan to 4, which was then mutilated by Hymn to Tourach. I went on to win against Infect (2-1), Eldrazi [2-0), and UR Delver (2-1). Deck is lit as fuck.

For reference, my current list:

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Aven Mimeomancer
    1 Epochrasite
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Stonecloaker
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Flickerwisp
    3 Geist of Saint Traft
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

2 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Karakas
    3 Plains
    3 Tundra
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

SB:
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Daze
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Spellstutter Sprite
    3 Council's Judgment

I'll probably cut the Aven Mimeomancer (I'm still fond of its ability, and it is respected by opponents despite not being familiar with it) for a Unsettled Mariner, and maybe even a Geist of Saint Traft.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    I've played 4 rounds yesterday with my Uw D&T list, and went 3-1. Round 1, I lost 1-2 against BUG Leovold, but the third game was pre-decided by drawing a 7-card no-lander, followed by 6-card all-lander, followed by a 5 -card no-lander, followed by a keepable mulligan to 4, which was then mutilated by Hymn to Tourach. I went on to win against Infect (2-1), Eldrazi [2-0), and UR Delver (2-1). Deck is lit as fuck.

For reference, my current list:

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Aven Mimeomancer
    1 Epochrasite
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Stonecloaker
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Flickerwisp
    3 Geist of Saint Traft
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

2 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Karakas
    3 Plains
    3 Tundra
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

SB:
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Daze
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Spellstutter Sprite
    3 Council's Judgment

I'll probably cut the Aven Mimeomancer (I'm still fond of its ability, and it is respected by opponents despite not being familiar with it) for a Unsettled Mariner, and maybe even a Geist of Saint Traft.
    So no inclusion of the 1/1 blink spirit?

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I don't think I will try it initially, no. It's just a 1/1 for 3 after all, while Mariner has a bit of built-in resilience, and a better body.

So there have been some rumblings about D&T playable cards from this set. If you want to hear my opinions on those cards (as well as the rest of the Modern Horizons spoilers), come hang out tomorrow night at 8:00 PM EST on my stream! The vod will be dumped to the Thraben University Youtube channel later as well.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Too long to do a paper version? :)

Not gonna wait until 2AM tonight, so i'll Watch it on your youtube channel.

Here's a D&T league for you all with an interesting Cavern/Prelate heavy build.

Want daily D&T videos? I've got you covered!

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Very cool, Phil - I'll make sure to check this out! :) (I can't get the hang of twitch or live-streaming in general, but recorded videos on youtube are something I do enjoy watching at times.)

I had another good 4-0 run at yesterday's FNM Legacy, with 19 players attending. I beat ANT (2-0), Rb Goblins (2-1), UR Delver (2-1), and RUG Delver feat- Wren and Six (2-1). Deck was unchanged from last time around, as it, like, totally rocks anyone's *ocks off.

Been playing DnT for a while now and I guess you can say I’m kinda stuck in my ways but I don’t like the blue splash at all. I am currently on the mono white 2 cavern/3 karakas build with pontif in the side for this pesky TNNs. I can’t bring myself to completely cut mirran crusader but that could be because there’s still a lot of Grixis and BUG in my meta. Completely hosed a BG rock deck the other night by landing mom into crusader into prelate on 2. He had no answer at all.

Anyway, I have always struggled with sidebiarding, particularly against UW control running a bunch of basics. I feel like I want cataclysm here but it also feels real bad cause they’re pretty much always ready with the counterspell. Am I wrong to bring in cata here? Do you guys bring it in against the U based control decks or is it mostly just a tool for those grindy non-blue matchups?

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I'm not running Cataclysm right now, but next time I'll play I'm planning to. The format - or at least, my local metagame - seems to be evolving towards more superfriends-esque lists, which makes the Cataclysm pay-off ever so higher and sweeter. And yes, UW Control is one of those lists where you'll want to have it at the ready, post-board. It will always be a must-counter for them if you time it OK-ish, and you should work strategically at making it resolve. Both Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Ethersworn Canonist can help with that (most easily, of course, with an Aether Vial on 2).

I still think the U splash is the way to go. Last Friday, people told me I had the highest recorded Legacy win rate at my LGS this year so far, and I attribute this success to Wu D&T.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I piloted a slightly tweaked list (+2 Unsettled Mariner, -1 Aven Mimeomancer, -1 Mangara of Corondor) to 2nd place yesterday, losing the finals 2-1 to Mono R Painter (shit happens - I got too greedy with Mother of Runes protecting a Flickerwisp that was vialed in to block a Smuggler's Copter and flicker Koth of the Hammer, which lead to my opponent blasting the Phyrexian Revoker that kept his Grindstone at bay - but I was already dead on board to a rather tricky line my opponent *probably* wouldn't have seen at that time). Before that, I beat Dutch Staxx 2-0, then mono-W Death and Taxes 1-0 (in an epic game of 47 minutes of back-and-forth that I managed to eek out due to a mistake of my opponent), then Goblins 2-0.

I also adapted the sideboard to include +2 Cataclysm, for -1 True-Name Nemesis and -1 Leonin Relic-Warder. Haven't had the need or opportunity to cast it yet, though.

Deck is bonkers-good.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I would love to hear how Unsettled Mariner has been playing for you.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I don't have enough anecdata on the card yet to make a judgment call, since I've only had it in play two times where it did not really matter: Once against Goblins near the end of game 2, when I already had my opponent crippled beyond recovery (but it would have made any of opp's Pyrokinesis a lot worse even at that point), and once against Painter, with my hellbent opponent at seven mana (counting land sources only). I believe to know it has amazing potential, though, and I will keep running this card.

How are you all feeling about the mono W version now that lands has hit a bit of a resurgence with W6? I always found lands to be a very tough matchup. I run an extra prelate in the board (1 MB 1 SB) as well as the same split with Tomik. Haven’t gotten to stick tomik against lands yet but it seems really good.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Four rounds of FNM Legacy; I went 2-2 this time. I lost to UR Delver 2-1, won against a weird UW Superfriends Control list 2-0, won against Eldrazi Stompy 2-1, and lost to Maverick 2-1. I don't think I could have done any better this time, esp. taking my last opponent's streak of luck into account :D

I've gotten some reps with Unsettled Mariner on the battlefield now. It is a strong card, but since it's a conditional counter, and it therefore doesn't matter if your opponent forgets that it exists/will trigger, it seems a lot weaker than the ability of e. g. Kira, Great Glass-Spinner, where not having it in mind will not merely cost you unexpected mana, but the ability or spell as a whole. It did pull the most weight in the Eldrazi matchup, where my opponent had both Walking Ballista and Blast Zone on board, and couldn't utilize either to their full extent, due to the additional cost pinging my creatures incurred. I'll keep collecting more impressions on it.

Game two against UW Contol was kinda awesome: My (hellbent) opponent had a vomit-inducing cocktail on board: Humility, Propaganda, Back to Basics, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, a metric ton of basic snow lands, and 3 Soldier Tokens. I had basic Plains, an untapped Tundra, two untapped Wastelands, 2 tapped Rishadan Ports, 1 other "perma-tapped" land, and a mix of three assorted 1/1 creatures without abilities on board. My life total was like 25 or so, and his hovered around 11. You know which top-deck can pull you out of that kind of a tough spot, right? ;) Right! One of my two Cataclysms cleaned up real good, with me keeping Vial, basic Plains, and Unsettled Mariner, and him keeping Island and Humility. We traded 1/1s in the combat after, because I had more creatures coming in through Vial. I recovered to three lands over five turns, cast one of the two Council's Judgment that I had been sandbagging for quite a while (but with too many nasty things to choose from to get rid off) banishing Humility, vialed in Geist of Saint Traft at his next end step, and beat him down during our 3rd extra turn. That did feel rather good.

My biggest frustration is rolling dice these days - over the last eight matches, I won exactly one time... I'm very fond of the London Mulligan by now, and don't think that it benefits combo-like decks much more than fair decks like ours.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5011 View Post
    How are you all feeling about the mono W version now that lands has hit a bit of a resurgence with W6? I always found lands to be a very tough matchup. I run an extra prelate in the board (1 MB 1 SB) as well as the same split with Tomik. Haven’t gotten to stick tomik against lands yet but it seems really good.
    W6 in general completely wrecks DnT. Pinging our guys for 1 damage is very tough on us and the 2 mana crucible of worlds that is W6 makes our taxing effects much less potent. If W6 continues to be so pervasive, DnT will either have to adapt or die.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    W6 in general completely wrecks DnT. Pinging our guys for 1 damage is very tough on us and the 2 mana crucible of worlds that is W6 makes our taxing effects much less potent. If W6 continues to be so pervasive, DnT will either have to adapt or die.
    I disagree. It seems that classic DnT can beat W6 with skills alone. The really hard match ups are still control, especially Grixis.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbjorn View Post
    I disagree. It seems that classic DnT can beat W6 with skills alone. The really hard match ups are still control, especially Grixis.
    Tell us more about these skills...

I am thinking that [[Celestial Purge]] works well.

Sent from my Android Palantír using Tapatalk

Thread Information