Page 500 of 533 FirstFirst ... 400450490496497498499500501502503504510 ... LastLast
Results 9,981 to 10,000 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Worcester Legacy Classic

Eldrazi Post 1st
    U/W Stoneblade 2nd
    Temur Delver 3rd
    Goblins 4th
    Turbo Depths 5th
    Jeskai Stoneblade 6th
    B/R Reanimator 7th
    Grixis Death's Shadow 8th
    Jeskai Delver 9th
    Miracles 10th
    Death and Taxes 11th
    Sneak and Show 12th
    Death and Taxes 13th
    Infect 14th
    Grixis Death's Shadow 15th
    U/W Stoneblade 16th

DnT, Temur Delver, Stoneblade, Miracles, Sneak and Show and Reanimator not surprising. Eldrazi Post winning, Goblins and Turbo Depths in Top 5 and Grixis Death's Shadow twice? A little more surprising, especially as Eldrazi Post and Death's Shadow are basically revamped Modern decks, thought "Death's Shadow" might just be one new face of Grixis Delver.

Team events are much harder to judge, but probably no mistake that it looked like it did.

270 players - 14/07/18
    1 TES Bryant Cook
    2 Canadian Threshold Nathan Robinson
    3 Grixis Delver Noah Walker
    4 Show and Tell Bob Huang
    5 Death & Taxes Rax Dillon
    6 Miracles Luke Purcell
    7 Show and Tell Nick Costello
    8 Canadian Threshold Daniel Jessup
    9 Grixis Delver George Magou
    10 Grixis Control Paolo Cesari
    11 Stoneblade Gerard Fabiano
    12 Infect Zachary Koch
    13 DnT Theodore Jung
    14 Lands Casey Lancaster
    15 TNN BUG - Karl Schulz
    16 Temur Delver - Jadine Klomparens

Storm is still good enough. No shock there.

Grixis Delver with Bomat Courier in one deck and Strix/Lavamancer split in the other. That makes for 3 fairly distinct ideas of Grixis Delver going forward.

Temur was played enough and did well enough to be probable Tier 1 again.

Show and Tell did better here but Omniscience is back in, and some of the decks are indeed running Arcane Artisan.

Infect might be back.

TNN is definitely back, in ~9 decks out of the Top 32.

By comparison, Gurmag Angler was only in 5 decks, but out of the 6 that would play it, it was a 2-3 of, so it seems likely that UBx Delver, Control and possibly mid-range are going to play it, whereas most fair Uxx decks except Temur seemed to play TNN (and Klomparens ran 1 in her Temur deck.)

Does anyone else think that containment priest loses a lot of stock if Arcane Artisan becomes a staple in Sneak 'n Show and possibly UB Reanimator?

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Does anyone else think that containment priest loses a lot of stock if Arcane Artisan becomes a staple in Sneak 'n Show and possibly UB Reanimator?
    No. Revoker the guy and priest is still great vs the rest of the deck as well as elves and dredge and Dnt. Also RB Reanimator may still be more popular.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

you can also flicker the token.

Quote Originally Posted by Marungo View Post
    No. Revoker the guy and priest is still great vs the rest of the deck as well as elves and dredge and Dnt. Also RB Reanimator may still be more popular.
    Yeah, I have room for only 1 if I wanted to play it and I don't like the dissynergy with it and vial. I've been seeing lists now that are running Intuitions and 3x Omniscience, which is also a big strike against us. I used Ethersworn Canonist to great effect against Omniscience, but I did get a little lucky that they didn't draw a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    you can also flicker the token.
    Yeah, that's definitely one way to answer, but isn't flickering the Artisan better, especially if there are multiple tokens?

May 2017
    New Zealand

(Disclaimer: past 2 years: son=DnT; me=SnS)

Even if SnS does not play 3x intuition + 3x Omniscience (+3 gris +3 emrakuls), the non-intuition lists before the ban runs 2x omniscience already (a few run 1x JTMS for alt win cons against W or R or colourless prison decks). Personal and tcdeck results we appear to have better win percentages without the 3+3+3+3 builds preban. Unsure if less black hand disruption would mean a resurgence of that build.

Artisan's mainly against containment priest too aye?

May 2016
    Portland, OR

Bob said he was bring in Artisan close to always.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely one way to answer, but isn't flickering the Artisan better, especially if there are multiple tokens?
    In the case where you have a vial: the token only leaves at the beginning of the next end step. so a good opponent will use the artsan at the end of your turn and will be able to attack you once if you flicker the artisan so it's probably better to flicker the token.
    if you don't have a vial, yes it is better, but you're probably already dead if your opponent has multiple tokens :)

I get that Artisan is another way to cheat in a creature, but isn't that the part of the deck we are strong against? We still have Karakas to deal with these same threats that would come in off Sneak Attack or Show and Tell. Emrakul isn't being cast like it would from Omniscience, so there's less danger there. The tokens or the Artisan can be flickered and dealt with. They're exiling the creature from their hand so Emrakul isn't getting shuffled back in and they are down a threat in their deck. Also, a turn 2 Artisan still can't be activated until turn 3 and the token it creates can't attack until turn 4. It seems much less dangerous than Show and Tell even if it's a repeatable effect. I don't know if this is a card we really need to warp the deck around aside from upping the revoker count, but maybe I'm underestimating the card.

It's another avenue fair decks must fight. Used to, we worried about Sneak Attack and SnT. We combatted that with Revoker and Containment priest. Then they started using Omniscience, which makes it + Emmy Karakas Proof, Revoker proof, Containment priest proof, so the best we have imo is Ethersworn Canonist to hopefully slow down their ability to actually win, but if they already have a creature it's all pretty much a moot point, or get a little lucky and resolve Leonin Relic-Warder, preferably on Omni. Ok. So then we use Prelate to help combat SnT so that they can't have Omniscience, then your hatebear of choice to turn off Sneak Attack. Well, here is a 3cmc creature we can Revoker, but isn't hit by really anything else besides StP, unless you want to use a council's judgment, but it's probably pretty important tomsave that for omni. Now finally, we are at a point where we must face all these options and the waters have become too muddied for me to clearly see the correct option all the time because of the varied avenues to victory the deck has. That's also only if you can correctly identify which version of Show and Tell decks you are facing, as there is still Omni-Sneak Hybrid and Omnitell that can look like other varients at first.

The deck just keeps getting better, which is scary in my opinion, because with the right pilot it feels nigh unbeatable so far.

May 2017
    New Zealand

19 lands + 4 petals, 8 counters, 10-11 cantrips, 0-1 jtms, 2x4 engines (show and tell, sneak attack), and 2x4 bombs (emrakul, griselbrand) with 2 flex slots for omniscience as a pseudo-engine/accelerator. If Bob Huang's bringing in artisan most of the time it means it's time I tested 2 artisans to replace the omniscience m/b. Who needs omniscience after show and tell when I can have both a looter (pseudo-accelerator) and engine in a body that is not taxed? Sideboard now goes from 2 defense grid to 0-1 therefore more GY hate or DnT hate (red answers? Chaos Maw?)

More headaches for my DnT son as we test more. Is there a cheap W-based ghostly prison or ensnaring bridge on a stick?

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by rostov View Post
    19 lands + 4 petals, 8 counters, 10-11 cantrips, 0-1 jtms, 2x4 engines (show and tell, sneak attack), and 2x4 bombs (emrakul, griselbrand) with 2 flex slots for omniscience as a pseudo-engine/accelerator. If Bob Huang's bringing in artisan most of the time it means it's time I tested 2 artisans to replace the omniscience m/b. Who needs omniscience after show and tell when I can have both a looter (pseudo-accelerator) and engine in a body that is not taxed? Sideboard now goes from 2 defense grid to 0-1 therefore more GY hate or DnT hate (red answers? Chaos Maw?)

More headaches for my DnT son as we test more. Is there a cheap W-based ghostly prison or ensnaring bridge on a stick?
    Peacekeeper

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Windburn muse

I doubt this is the direction for us though. How about swords to plowshares? This feels like an overreaction to an untested card. If this guy goes in the deck something comes out. What will they remove? We can exploit the space. Is it truly a better avenue for them in the long run?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Don't flicker the token.

Flickering the guy causes all tokens to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Don't flicker the token.

Flickering the guy causes all tokens to go away.
    We know, but as already mentioned, it doesn't until end of the turn, so they still get a swing in. Maybe Orim's Chant kicked stops the swing for the flickerwisp to finish it off. Too deep, I know...

Artisan seems to mostly be a non-issue now it's a known factor. Just don't cut all your removal and you're set. Priest still good against the standard creature show and tell.

Artisan seems like a solid card for them but besides priest, ever angle of attack we have hits it. Including karakas.

Somehow I don't think artisan gives Sneak and show much of an advantage in our matchup in particular.

How has Sanctum Prelate been performing (either MB or SB) and in which match ups are we bringing it from SB?

Channelfireball just had an article about our favored deck, which shows my deck I played 1.5 week ago, just after the DRS and Probe ban.

https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...in-new-legacy/

-1 Cavern + 1 Plains and -1 Recruiter +1 Serra Avenger and this also exactly my current build. I love it.
    It seems much stronger than RW D&T in this meta.
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Thread Information