Page 530 of 533 FirstFirst ... 30430480520526527528529530531532533 LastLast
Results 10,581 to 10,600 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    @Tylert: Selfless Spirit doesn't protect vs Cataclysm since it sacrifices. But I'm guessing not being able to tutor for this creature with Recruiter might prevent it from seeing play.
    Yeah.

There's this also:

Drannith Magistrate 1W
    Human wizard.
    Your opponent cannot cast spells anywhere than from his hand.
    1/3

3 toughness and not a permanent remove :(

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

and one better card:

Lurrus the dream den 1 {W/B}{W/B}
    Legendary creature cat nightmare
    Lifelink
    During your turn you may cast one permanent spell with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard.
    3/2

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    and one better card:

Lurrus the dream den 1 {W/B}{W/B}
    Legendary creature cat nightmare
    Lifelink
    During your turn you may cast one permanent spell with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard.
    3/2
    Very interesting, since it can let you use and recast Remorseful Cleric, which might be good consider opposing Lurrus' and Uro (and the rest of the Graveyard shenanigans around today). Worth noting too that Recruiter finds either of those as well.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Not bad. Doesn't do much vs. StP and Terminus, but not horrible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Just theory crafting with the new card:

I think this nightmare cat could be played as a companion in Death and taxes.
    THe 3 cmc permanents are FLickerwisp (could be charming prince, even if it's not exactly the same card), Sword of fire and Ice and batterskull.
    All the sideboard 3cmc+ cards are non permanents cards (Council, cataclysm, Gideon...).

I like the idea of having acces to this whenever I want to rebuy thalia (Or remorsfull cleric to hoose the opponent's graveyard as mentionned by H). Just need to figure what to do with the stoneforge package (We still have Jitte but we loose flexibility).
    Any idea?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Very interesting, since it can let you use and recast Remorseful Cleric, which might be good consider opposing Lurrus' and Uro (and the rest of the Graveyard shenanigans around today). Worth noting too that Recruiter finds either of those as well.
    Selfless Spirit is another card that comes into mind as it lets you faceroll with indestructible.

The most interesting option is probably Ballista recursion, though.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I'm just kinda sad that we're not living in more civilized times, and General's Enforcer (https://scryfall.com/card/iko/188/generals-enforcer) can't have any kind of impact on Legacy decks any more :/

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

D&T list with Yorion recently got a decent result in a challenge

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...toast_th_place

You know how D&T always gets new toys but never has the room - well . . . now it can play everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    D&T list with Yorion recently got a decent result in a challenge

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...toast_th_place

You know how D&T always gets new toys but never has the room - well . . . now it can play everything.
    This list seems a tad bit too "basic" for my taste. It doesn't feel like it's really breaking Yorion the way other decks do.

The deck should be able to support Astrolabe with enough Snow Plains (maybe cutting some Flagstones, if necessary?). This gives you more draw with Yorion and can enable double white if you're stuck with colorless lands. It can also turn Flickerwisp into a cantrip.

I wonder how effective Flicker chains are with Yorion. Flickerwisp (and Charming Prince as flexible alternative) are pretty slow, as it takes two end steps to complete a cycle:

Play Yorion, flicker Flickerwisp, EoT return Flickerwips, flicker Yorion - EoT OP's turn Yorion returns, flicker Flickerwisp - EoT return Flickerwips, flicker Yorion - EoT OP's turn Yorion returns, flicker Flickerwisp etc.

However, if you run Restoration Angel, you can get Yorion triggers every other end step:

Play Yorion, flicker Angel, EoT return Angel, blink Yorion, flicker Angel - EoT OP's turn return Angel, blink Yorion, flicker Angel - EoT return Angel, blink Yorion, flicker Angel - EoT OP's turn return Angel, blink Yorion, flicker Angel etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    This list seems a tad bit too "basic" for my taste. It doesn't feel like it's really breaking Yorion the way other decks do.

The deck should be able to support Astrolabe with enough Snow Plains (maybe cutting some Flagstones, if necessary?). This gives you more draw with Yorion and can enable double white if you're stuck with colorless lands. It can also turn Flickerwisp into a cantrip.

I wonder how effective Flicker chains are with Yorion. Flickerwisp (and Charming Prince as flexible alternative) are pretty slow, as it takes two end steps to complete a cycle:

Play Yorion, flicker Flickerwisp, EoT return Flickerwips, flicker Yorion - EoT OP's turn Yorion returns, flicker Flickerwisp - EoT return Flickerwips, flicker Yorion - EoT OP's turn Yorion returns, flicker Flickerwisp etc.

However, if you run Restoration Angel, you can get Yorion triggers every other end step:

Play Yorion, flicker Angel, EoT return Angel, blink Yorion, flicker Angel - EoT OP's turn return Angel, blink Yorion, flicker Angel - EoT return Angel, blink Yorion, flicker Angel - EoT OP's turn return Angel, blink Yorion, flicker Angel etc.
    I already built a yorion list with a similar concept, but I used Charming Princes alongside Flickerwisp.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Needs more Blade Splicer, don't you think? Also, Epochrasite.

Archon of Emeria
    2W
    Creature - Archon
    Flying
    Players can only cast one spell each turn
    Opponen'ts non basic lands ETB tapped

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I think the only card that could be in the 75 of D&T from Zendikar's rising is the counter matters creature 1/1 for 1W at the beginning on of combat phase, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
    not sure thought, it's good vs fair decks mainly. So it's really meta dependant.

Edit: And apparition too, forgot about that one :)

Phil Gallagher 5-0 VOD with both the new cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DJ4KO1Tfcs

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Phil Gallagher 5-0 VOD with both the new cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DJ4KO1Tfcs
    Aaaaahhhh.... called it!! :)

Apparition was for sure going to be a hit as a good permanent removal on legs. Luminarch aspirant I was less sure because it's good vs faire decks mainly. Glad to see Medea is still testing D&T out there !

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Holy Sweet Necro Batman!

So, i've been trying to make a certain pet card of mine, Braids cabal minion, work for a little while now, and I believe it might actually slot into D&T pretty well.

Here's an esper brew i've been playing to mild success:

lands//24
    3 karakas
    3 cavern of souls
    4 tundra
    4 scrubland
    2 flooded strand
    2 marsh flats
    2 arid mesa
    4 wasteland

Creatures//25
    4 mother of runes
    4 thalia, guardian of thraben
    4 stoneforge mystic
    4 hullbreacher
    3 braids, cabal minion
    2 skyclave apparition
    2 recruiter of the guard
    1 phyrexian revoker
    1 plague engineer

Artifacts//7
    4 aether vial
    1 batterskull
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 sword of fire and ice

Instants//4
    4 swords to plowshares

Sideboard//15
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 opposition agent (probably shouldn't be in the list)
    2 phyrexian revoker
    2 plague engineer
    1 sanctum prelate
    1 skyclave apparition
    2 deafening silence
    2 flusterstorm
    3 surgical extraction

So, i'm willing to admit that this deck's success so far could strictly be due to the power that is the core of Death and Taxes, however, I've been noticing moments of promise from both hullbreacher and Braids. Hullbreacher has, at least so far, been pretty nuts. Shutting off sylvan library from drawing extra cards vs green has been good, and shutting off cantrips has been even better. It also has flash without the need of a vial, which I feel is actually quite nice, being able to sneakily add to your board presence. The numbers overall are probably still far from perfect, but i'm rather enjoying the esper list and the sideboard options it opens up as well.

Braids might not be good, but she can close out games with a lock even if you don't have enough pressure on the board, which is appealing to me as well. I've always loved braids, and I think the synergies of mother of runes/karakas are quite stellar with her.

If anybody else would be willing to take a crack at some esper builds, I'd love to see them!

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    Holy Sweet Necro Batman!

So, i've been trying to make a certain pet card of mine, Braids cabal minion, work for a little while now, and I believe it might actually slot into D&T pretty well.

lands//24
    3 karakas
    3 cavern of souls
    4 tundra
    4 scrubland
    2 flooded strand
    2 marsh flats
    2 arid mesa
    4 wasteland

Creatures//25
    4 mother of runes
    4 stoneforge mystic
    4 hullbreacher
    3 braids, cabal minion
    2 skyclave apparition
    2 recruiter of the guard
    1 phyrexian revoker
    1 plague engineer

Artifacts//7
    4 aether vial
    1 batterskull
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 sword of fire and ice

Instants//4
    4 swords to plowshares

Sideboard//15
    1 ethersworn canonist
    2 phyrexian revoker
    2 plague engineer
    1 sanctum prelate
    1 skyclave apparition
    2 deafening silence
    2 flusterstorm
    3 surgical extraction

So, i'm willing to admit that this deck's success so far could strictly be due to the power that is the core of Death and Taxes, however, I've been noticing moments of promise from both hullbreacher and Braids. Hullbreacher has, at least so far, been pretty nuts. Shutting off sylvan library from drawing extra cards vs green has been good, and shutting off cantrips has been even better. It also has flash without the need of a vial, which I feel is actually quite nice, being able to sneakily add to your board presence. The numbers overall are probably still far from perfect, but i'm rather enjoying the esper list and the sideboard options it opens up as well.

Braids might not be good, but she can close out games with a lock even if you don't have enough pressure on the board, which is appealing to me as well. I've always loved braids, and I think the synergies of mother of runes/karakas are quite stellar with her.

If anybody else would be willing to take a crack at some esper builds, I'd love to see them!
    Congrats on your success but using Hullbreacher when we already have Spirit of the Labyrinth (and it works with Recruiter of the Guard) doesn't seem to be worth of splashing blue for me.
    Have you been able to play Braids many times? Was it a win-more card or did it solve certain matchups and situations for you?

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    Holy Sweet Necro Batman!

lands//24
    3 karakas
    3 cavern of souls
    4 tundra
    4 scrubland
    2 flooded strand
    2 marsh flats
    2 arid mesa
    4 wasteland

Creatures//25
    4 mother of runes
    4 stoneforge mystic
    4 hullbreacher
    3 braids, cabal minion
    2 skyclave apparition
    2 recruiter of the guard
    1 phyrexian revoker
    1 plague engineer

Artifacts//7
    4 aether vial
    1 batterskull
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 sword of fire and ice

Instants//4
    4 swords to plowshares

Sideboard//15
    1 ethersworn canonist
    2 phyrexian revoker
    2 plague engineer
    1 sanctum prelate
    1 skyclave apparition
    2 deafening silence
    2 flusterstorm
    3 surgical extraction

I am fairly new to playing DnT, but I have played around a lot with Braids. If you want to use a DnT shell I think you should cut blue entirely. Drawing multiple braids is only good when you have vial on 4 so you can sac it to itself. Maybe cut one for another recruiter. Have you tried using a cataclysm DnT shell? Seems like a little better fit, especially with some hallowed spiritkeepers

Constructive criticism:

ThrabenU has an article for splashing in D&T. This is comparable to old lists splashing for pita and Kiran. You have nowhere near enough Black sources for braids, especially with 5! Different creature types.

I do think braids is powerful enough that it isn’t hopeless to brew. But Why did you consider d&t as the best home for braids? D&T doesn’t really generate enough random permanents to be worth playing a smokestack.

Both Rb painter and goblins are creature decks with aristocrats sub themes (derretti/welder/astrolabe and skirk/MWM/sling gang respectively). And they already are splashing black. Imo they would be much better homes for braids.

Hullbreacher is probably worse than spirit in a vial deck without draw or fow, not to mention screwing up your mana.

Edit: cutting Hullbreacher for spirit, revoker for apparition and maybe engineer for that haunt guy makes everything Kor or Human which improves your mana substantially. And lets you cut tundras for a few basics and fetches.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 01-08-2021 at 03:43 PM.

An incredibly insightful review by ThrabenU of Erin-relentless’ top8 matches. This is from his showcase win with D&T Sunday.

https://t.co/olFeKDSeJk?amp=1

Thread Information