Page 460 of 533 FirstFirst ... 360410450456457458459460461462463464470510 ... LastLast
Results 9,181 to 9,200 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Marungo View Post
    Been absent here playing Miracles for the past 6 weeks. It’s been a nice change of pace and the deck is fun as hell. Didn’t even know that it was gonna become a DTB, but it’s cool nonetheless. Just dropping in to give my two cents on things.

1) Miracles is favored in the matchups all things equal. Played both decks in the matchup. Felt unfavored playing DNt and was worried that when playing miracles I would lose or play poorly. However I also crushed DNt in the matchup. There’s too many answers and a good miracles player should win in my opinion. SoWaP changes things postbosrd, but not enough.

2) Maindeck R.I.P. guys?... really?
    Agree on 1) and 2), Sword of protection from white is very good.

MD Relic isn't the worse, but RIP is not something a deck like DnT with no filtering can afford imo. Even if it has some applications, like vs Miracles kinda turning off Search and Snaps, it's low impact in a lot of them and you're trading a card for some effectiveness vs the opposing deck. Sure some matchup you'll look like a genius, but it's easier to remember them than the ones where it's dead or very low impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Rest in Peace might have been considerable main in the grixis meta, but now our topless terminators have found Azcanta, those archetypes are going to take a big drop. There's just not that many good things you can do about an enchantment that turns into a game-breaking land, if you have a greedy manabase and few or no decays.

Topless miracles is a worse match-up for us than the pre-ban version, because now they lack the dead draws of counterbalance and extra tops. We also have less interactions with their cantrips because we can't revoke them and portent is a very nasty set-up for terminus or mana screws. Azcanta is not as bad for us as it is for other archetypes, but it still ramps to help them out of mana problems and wins them the game if we can't race it or keep up a wasteland. Still, I think it's closer to 50-50, depending on player skill and how the decks are built (like mentor main or not, crusader count, legendaries count, sideboard slots).

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Humor me: Is Rest in Peace a reasonable sideboard card against Miracles?
    Similar question, is Ethersworn Canonist a board in vs Miracles now?

Regarding RiP in the main:

I'm keeping statistics on how it performs. When I hit 100 matches or so, I'll do a write up. I've been very pleased with it thus far.

Regarding Miracles:

I'm 1-2 against it with the 4x Crusader build and 1-2 against it with the RW build.

Regarding Canonist:

You *could* bring in Canonist against Miracles if you don't have anything better to be doing. It doesn't feel great, I can speak from experience there. I currently board in one Canonist in the matchup with the RW build since I have 7 cards I want to pull out but only 6 good cards to bring in.

Jun 2015
    NYC

RiP in the main seems like something that would be nuts to do in most real life metas or a large tournament but might be okay online, where Deathrite+Reanimator make up a pretty healthy share of the decks.

I have a pretty good record vs Miracles overall, but I think my build (3 Cavern, 2 P&K in the 75, extra Recruiter in the board) is kinda lopsided towards beating slower decks. And even with a deck built like this, it's not an auto-win.

I do think playing a 3rd Recruiter in the board should be something Mono-W players try more. It doesn't win the Miracles match-up on its own or anything, but it does push you in the right direction, and unlike things like Gideon, Cataclysm, it can come in for a pretty wide range of match-ups (it's always gonna be better than one of your maindeck cards vs combo, it's pretty insane in the mirror, etc. etc.)

Here's another card that falls into the "huh, that's interesting but probably not good enough pile."

Reddit translation:
    Slaughter the Strong 1WW
    Sorcery
    Each player chooses any number of creatures he or she controls with total power 4 or less, then sacrifices the rest.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Very interesting (but not necessarily useful :)) card design imo; kinda like the lovechild of Retribution of the Meek and Cataclysm :)

If one's looking for an opportunity to play Rest in Peace main, I don't think it's going to be in D&T. A local player here paired it with Energy Field, Luminarch Ascension, and Helm of Obedience this week in an oddly effective UW control shell.

Dire Fleet Daredevil

So, I've been looking at this thing for a while, and am debating the use of it in RW. The argument for it is written in the text box. It's a Snapcaster esque-card, allowing for more value plays, especially with the use of Vial. It resembles Flickerwisp in that sense, where the card is merely fine on it's front side, but insane with a Vial on its respective number. This is all in addition to other benefits like First Strike or it's Human type (which in RW matters more since it normally runs more Caverns).

The downside is worth discussing if it's significant enough though. From what I'm assuming, if a Vial is in play, it will be there to counter Snapcaster targets (or Deathrite Shaman targets, to an extent), using a cantrip (use of a Brainstorm or Ponder is amplified through RW having fetches), or using a removal spell. The issue is that it's all spells, and Thalia provides a small nonbo in that sense. Also you are reliant on the opponent actually using spells, so the card is probably relagated to the sideboard because of it.

Either way, I think the card is worth at least testing to see how it plays out. Maybe I just want to Brainstorm + Fetch in DnT because I don't get to do so normally anyways.

@colo

Yeah, the card is very interesting. I quite like the design space they explored with it.

@piroko139

The cards that are worth splashing are cards that are absolute haymakers. Magus threatens to end the game immediately. Sparkmage can take over a creature matchup. Pia and Kiran presents end game inevitability against control. Orzhov Pontiff does stupid things against many difficult scenarios involves a bunch of Elves, tokens, or True-Name Nemesis.

This pirate provides the possibility of doing a bunch of *interesting* things, but I don't think it is going to consistently have the same level of "oomph" as the other splash cards. There are already similar cards (Dualcaster Mage, Phyrexian Metamorph) that allow for the same sort of flexibility, but they don't make the cut. It's also not great in a Rest in Peace deck.

@EronRelentless I've kept an eye on your Judge's Familiar lists for the last couple weeks and took it for a spin at my weekly yesterday.

overall it felt really good, it was only 4 rounds but having extra fliers, early plays against storm, and getting to force spike someone off vial all really convinced me to test this a bit more. Might see me on in the challenge with it this weekend :)

Jun 2015
    NYC

I think the problem with Dire Fleet Daredevil is that it's too hard to predict what it's going to do in any given game. The ceiling for the card's power level is very high, it's Snapcaster-esque (especially out of Aether Vial) - but Snapcaster decks know that they're going to have Snapcaster targets and it's a little too hard to predict what this guy is gonna do for you in any given game. The card Abbot of Keral Keep is kinda in a similar space - it has good stats, but it's just a little too unpredictable. I might play with one in the board just for fun though, it seems like it would be pretty consistently good vs Miracles at least.

RE: Daredevil
    no-one is doubting how sweet it is though right? i'm definitely playing 4 for a couple weeks just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by J ♥ 5 View Post
    RE: Daredevil
    no-one is doubting how sweet it is though right? i'm definitely playing 4 for a couple weeks just for fun.
    The card is totes sweet. It will do many story-worthy things.

I'll be streaming in like 15 minutes if anyone is looking for something to do tonight. link

Edit: Stream went very well, feel free to check out the video.

MORE EDITS!: Now I have a Youtube Channel and a few more details up as well. Link.

Even more edits: About to stream again at about 8:20 eastern time.

Edit^4: Going to do an afternoon stream starting in about 15 minutes. That's a little after 2:00 PM Eastern.
    Last edited by Medea_; 01-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Jan 2017
    London

Just reading through the last week or so of this thread, and as a miracles player I thought I'd just go ahead and support WhiteFaces' assertion that the matchup is very favourable for miracles. I think the only match losses I have to dnt at the moment are to my internet connection dying during a match, but feel free to correct me if you know otherwise.

SoWaP is irritating if you equip and hit, sure, but if you're doing that then you could probably hit us with SoFaI anyway as we'd stp in resp or instant speed terminus, block with snap for a turn to keep treading water etc etc. So yeah it's a good card, but only marginally better than SoFaI imo as if we're dying to one we'd probably die to the other.

Prelate + mother lock is the only real fear, as we need to find a council's judgment, and I guess cataclysm but the miracles player should keep in forces for vial and cataclysm/gideon anyway.

edit: spelling error

I'm going to be streaming for most of this afternoon and evening; I randomly got the day off work. Shooting for two leagues this afternoon and one league this evening. Link.

Is Recruiter + Flickerwisp chain not good against Miracles anymore?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jan 2017
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Is Recruiter + Flickerwisp chain not good against Miracles anymore?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    It's fine, but Jace/Predict/Snapcaster draw so many cards that it's just not a big deal if we have to plow, snap, plow the recruiters and wisps.

The game is entirely about Jace and it doesn't matter how many cards get burnt as long as we put Jace into play and have it not die. At that point the card draw lets us tread water and make land drops til we can cast entreat.

Having access to multiple prelates I suspect would change things significantly. The dnt player naturally drawing prelate as opposed to fetching it with recruiter is much harder to beat, as the line isn't so obviously telegraphed. Also having prelate on 1 and 6 will have a similar effect to mother + prelate.

Quote Originally Posted by FGCmtg View Post
    It's fine, but Jace/Predict/Snapcaster draw so many cards that it's just not a big deal if we have to plow, snap, plow the recruiters and wisps.

The game is entirely about Jace and it doesn't matter how many cards get burnt as long as we put Jace into play and have it not die. At that point the card draw lets us tread water and make land drops til we can cast entreat.

Having access to multiple prelates I suspect would change things significantly. The dnt player naturally drawing prelate as opposed to fetching it with recruiter is much harder to beat, as the line isn't so obviously telegraphed. Also having prelate on 1 and 6 will have a similar effect to mother + prelate.
    More Prelates might shore up the OmniShow match as well.

Thread Information