Page 174 of 533 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Site Contributor
    Jul 2013
    Austin, TX

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Kayradis View Post
    Crushed side events a good part of the weekend at GP Montreal.

Here's my list

Maindeck

4 Mother Of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Mangara of Corondor
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Brimaz aka Captain Kitty-Cat
    2 Aven Mindcensor
    2 Mirran Crusader (26 Creatures)

8 Plains
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    2 Horizon Canopy
    3 Karakas
    1 Cavern Of Souls (22 Lands)

4 Swords To Plowshares
    2 Runed Halo
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull (12 Spells)

Sideboard

2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Meekstone
    1 Manriki Kusari
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    3 Rest in Peace
    2 E-Tutor
    1 Sunlance

Runed Halo did some amazing work this weekend. Probably my MVP. Meekstone took a lot of people by surprise and was pretty damn good!
    Got my hands on golf clubs style StP this weekend. Yeah....Im pimping the deck since I shelved Elves! for an indefinite period of time.
    Im gonna stick with that list for a while I think.
    liking the addition of runed halo.. i am definately going to give it a spin.
    ArtStation: Dgreco current work
    Playing Junk NicFit
    Daveg3d on MODO

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Runed Halo was amazing everytime I played it.
    Shuts down tons of hard-to-deal-with-threats.
    2 is a temptative numbers, but to see the face of a U/x/x player with a TNN on the board and resolve Halo naming TNN is hilarious

Thinking about going -1 RiP / +1 Kataki for the SB......
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

So I am going to sound like one of those guys but.... why aren't we playing peacekeeper in the sideboard?

Sent from my mobile phone; please ignore spelling errors or grammatical laziness.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    So I am going to sound like one of those guys but.... why aren't we playing peacekeeper in the sideboard?

Sent from my mobile phone; please ignore spelling errors or grammatical laziness.
    Haven't looked at that option yet.
    Simply.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

I mean, we've been talking about playing bridge, runed halo, even Holy Light--but peacekeeper stops TNN and elves completely.

I mean, we can't attack either, but I figured with vial and wisp it'd still be decent

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

That's an idea.
    But even then, I simply don't buy it.
    Test it and let me know!

Dec 2013
    Myrtle Beach, SC

If you play It though, you have no way to win unless you draw flickerwisps or you stp your own guy. TNN gives blue decks a lot of inevitability since we have no real way to deal with it. I feel like meekstone would be better. We have ways around that, namely every 3 power guy we use has vigilance, save Flickerwisp.

Now, if Peacekeeper were a legend, or there were a legend with Peacekeeper's ability then we'd have a stew cookin.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by jvacar622 View Post
    Now, if Peacekeeper were a legend, or there were a legend with Peacekeeper's ability then we'd have a stew cookin.
    Help me, Journey into Nyx, you're my only hope.

I doubt it'd be too high a demand--look at the garbage WotC is greenlighting (Delver, TNN, DRS; I'm sure next set will only stupefy us even more).

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by jvacar622 View Post
    If you play It though, you have no way to win unless you draw flickerwisps or you stp your own guy. TNN gives blue decks a lot of inevitability since we have no real way to deal with it. I feel like meekstone would be better. We have ways around that, namely every 3 power guy we use has vigilance, save Flickerwisp.

What? You don't need to StP it, you let it die to it's trigger when the time is right.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Sep 2011

Is it worth running some copies of Honor of the Pure SB to dodge the all the -1/-1 hate? Or maybe just swapping into bigger butts (Serra Avenger, Brimaz, Jotun Grunt)?

Dec 2013
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Those bigger buts don't tax anything though. Except grunt. But if I want graveyard hate I'd rather have it in a more permanent form, namely Rest in Peace.

If you're really having a problem with stuff like Zealous Persecution, don't overcommit so much to the board so it doesn't blow you out as much

Shine On
    Oct 2009
    Canada

It stops Elves, sure, but don't they have Decay in the side? I'd imagine they'd bring it in vs Hate-Permanent.dec (and I think I've seen it post side...) so even then it's not a hard lock. It DOES seem sweet vial-ing it in in response to Craterhoof triggers though.

VS TNN, yeah, it's good, but in my experience I'm barely even able to get a dude to last on the table against them; in UWR they have infinity removal, BUG has Charm (-1/-1)... It just seems like Danger Of Cool Things - albeit, semi-useful and tricky things. I still think the line of choice is trying to preempt their equipment. I've been thinking about Ronom Unicorn... (why isn't there a Manic Vandal in White?! I'm starting to think buddy with the R splash was on to something...)

Its real value is in a pure control deck where they are boarding out all their spot removal; even Miracles doesn't need the guy right now. BUT its good that we're keeping things on the radar :).

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

So, went 3-0 last night at our weekly Legacy night. (list is higher in the thread)
    Lost a game to BUG Delver and 1 to Miracle since I couldn't draw lands.

Rd. 1 = 2-1 vs BUG Delver (SB Plan : -1 SFM,-1 BS,-2 Revoker/+2 RiP,+1 Sunlance,+1 SoFaI)
    Rd. 2 = 2-1 vs Miracle (SB Plan : -4 StP,-1 Brimaz/+2 Ethersworn Canonist,+2 Spirit of the Labyrinth,+1 E-Tutor)
    Rd. 3 = 2-0 vs Deathblade (SB Plan : -1 Batterskull,-2 Revoker/+1 Mankiri Kusari,+1 Meekstone,+1 SoFaI)

The list still requires tweaking, but Runed Halo was amazing all night again.
    I wanna cut 1 of the RiP for a Stony Silence or Kataki in the SB.
    Affinity is not a super hard match up, but improving it won't be bad.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Kayradis View Post
    So, went 3-0 last night at our weekly Legacy night. (list is higher in the thread)
    Lost a game to BUG Delver and 1 to Miracle since I couldn't draw lands.

Rd. 1 = 2-1 vs BUG Delver (SB Plan : -1 SFM,-1 BS,-2 Revoker/+2 RiP,+1 Sunlance,+1 SoFaI)
    Rd. 2 = 2-1 vs Miracle (SB Plan : -4 StP,-1 Brimaz/+2 Ethersworn Canonist,+2 Spirit of the Labyrinth,+1 E-Tutor)
    Rd. 3 = 2-0 vs Deathblade (SB Plan : -1 Batterskull,-2 Revoker/+1 Mankiri Kusari,+1 Meekstone,+1 SoFaI)

The list still requires tweaking, but Runed Halo was amazing all night again.
    I wanna cut 1 of the RiP for a Stony Silence or Kataki in the SB.
    Affinity is not a super hard match up, but improving it won't be bad.
    Why would you ever cut Brimaz instead of Jitte in the Miracles matchup?

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for the idea of Peacekeeper in conjunction with Mangara.

On another note, I've been struggling with figuring out what to side out in some MU's. For example, against Team America. RiP, Wilt-Leaf, and maybe Spellskite are coming in, but that leaves you with at least 4-5 cards coming out of the main-board. What would those be? Mindcensor? SoFaI? The list just seems so tight at times.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Copenhagen View Post
    I have to admit, I'm a sucker for the idea of Peacekeeper in conjunction with Mangara.

On another note, I've been struggling with figuring out what to side out in some MU's. For example, against Team America. RiP, Wilt-Leaf, and maybe Spellskite are coming in, but that leaves you with at least 4-5 cards coming out of the main-board. What would those be? Mindcensor? SoFaI? The list just seems so tight at times.
    -4 Revoker, -1 Mangara/Mindcensor

Hey guys,
    does anyone have Paul Rietzl's decklist from SCG-LA? Ty.

-4 Revoker, -1 Mangara/Mindcensor
    I would hesitate to take out Revoker. Revoker shuts down Shaman if they remove RIP and shuts down the Planeswalkers which are an alternative win con. They are also extra bodies, which I would hesitate to take out. I could see you shaving them, but I wouldn't take out all 4.

I would play +2 Wiltleaf Liege, +2 RIP, -1 Phyrexian Revoker, -2 Mangara, -1 flex slot (for some it is equipment, for some it is Oblivion Ring, for me it is Fiend Hunter, etc).

Mangara's function is utility, so I'm really trading 2 creatures (revoker + fiend hunter) for 2 creatures (liege). RIP basically removes Tarmogoyf and Deathrite Shaman, so Fiend Hunter's removal is unnecessary. Mangara is far too slow of an engine to work in this match up. Also, the Wastelands will be targetting your Karakas, so there really is no point in trying to set up this combo.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    I would hesitate to take out Revoker. Revoker shuts down Shaman if they remove RIP and shuts down the Planeswalkers which are an alternative win con. They are also extra bodies, which I would hesitate to take out. I could see you shaving them, but I wouldn't take out all 4.

I would play +2 Wiltleaf Liege, +2 RIP, -1 Phyrexian Revoker, -2 Mangara, -1 flex slot (for some it is equipment, for some it is Oblivion Ring, for me it is Fiend Hunter, etc).

Mangara's function is utility, so I'm really trading 2 creatures (revoker + fiend hunter) for 2 creatures (liege). RIP basically removes Tarmogoyf and Deathrite Shaman, so Fiend Hunter's removal is unnecessary. Mangara is far too slow of an engine to work in this match up. Also, the Wastelands will be targetting your Karakas, so there really is no point in trying to set up this combo.
    In practice Mangara is almost never too slow.

I side Mangara out, but not in this one. In fact, I figure people are siding Mangara out too often in general.

They are bound to have Golgari Charm. Mangara has more use here than most of the dudes the charm kills. He can nix the mana ahead of time, stranding it their hand. Karakas ties up their options with regards to timing, and so on.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    In practice Mangara is almost never too slow.

I side Mangara out, but not in this one. In fact, I figure people are siding Mangara out too often in general.

They are bound to have Golgari Charm. Mangara has more use here than most of the dudes the charm kills. He can nix the mana ahead of time, stranding it their hand. Karakas ties up their options with regards to timing, and so on.
    Mangara activates turn 4 if you are fast. Do you wait for Karakas? Do you wait for Vial? He just needs too many pieces to work efficiently. Am I greedy with my Mangara? I'm not sure.

Saving mana for Mangara also hurts your own strategy. You can't use your Wastelands so aggressively. I find this to be a problem as you should be the one trying to lock them out on lands and swarming the board. After all, they are the multicoloured deck. You can cut them off of a colour if you are allowed to use your Wastelands.

Thread Information