Page 518 of 518 FirstFirst ... 18418468508514515516517518
Results 10,341 to 10,344 of 10344

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Hey team

Where is everyone on mainboard Walking Ballista?

I have been playing it for a few weeks and it is, imho, absolutely nuts.

Is anyone else testing?
    It was excellent a month or so back, before the current control/combo meta evolved. Right now, it's still a decent Recruiter target in the 75 which can break some matches wide open.

It took me a little while to get this edited, but here's my guest tournament report with David Lance (Staticgripped) from EW. http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=2169

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    It took me a little while to get this edited, but here's my guest tournament report with David Lance (Staticgripped) from EW. http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=2169
    Good and solid Decklist and easy to read report. Maybe the Sideboard decisions in the matches would have been interesting. Thank you for the content!

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

27 player tournament, I went 3-2.

List:

Lands(23):
    4 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Windswept Heath
    3 Karakas
    2 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    3 Rishadan Port
    2 Cavern of Souls

Creatures(27):

3 Mother of Runes
    1 Judge's Familiar
    4 Thalia
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1 Remorseful Cleric
    1 Serra Avenger
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Mirran Crusader
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Walking Ballista

Other(11):
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard(15):
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Plaguecrafter
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

I wanted to use Enlightened Tutor to cut down somewhat on the very niche slots, i.e. RIP and canonist. In exchange, you get to pack a few utility artifact/enchantments on top of your utility creatures for recruiter. There's no Gideon or Cataclysm, because I wanted to keep the curve down with only 23 lands. Also, when splashing with fetchlands and caverns, Cataclysm becomes a much more awkward card to play. There isn't a lot of grave hate, because I've kind of given up on the match-ups where it is absolutely critical (i.e. reanimator and dredge). I want to play less specific answers for such an open meta. Plus, cleric in the main is a very good mitigating tool for this loss of functionality, while itself a multifunctional creature with evasion and a built-in chump jitte-carrier mode.

R1: Lands 2-0

Game 1, he has Exploration and punishing grove after a mull to 6, but no loam. I am tight on mana, but I had a turn 1 vial. I also have a Remorseful Cleric, which I keep back as long as I can for maximal value. He kills off a few creatures with fire until I waste grove. He assembles the depths combo with crop rotation in my turn, but I still have a plow. After this, he's spent a lot of resources (with still no loam). I go on the aggressive, resulting in him playing another crop rotation for tabernacle and maze. This forces me to sac my cleric and invalidates my sword of fire and ice, but I still have a skull left who races me to victory as port and waste keep his maze (+ staged copy) down.

Game 2, he is very short on green mana with only a grove and his turn 1 gamble backfired a bit as he lost a tracker. I have vial and swiftly land a thalia, rest in peace and sword of fire and ice, forcing him to crop rotate for karakas and grip my sword rather than my rip or vial to stay alive. My board widens and, with no real card advantage engine, his drop of honey comes way too late.

Siding:

-4 STP
    -1 Jitte
    -1 Thalia
    -1 Spirit ot Labyrinth
    -1 Pontiff
    -1 Ballista

+1 Path
    +1 RIP
    +1 Enlightened Tutor
    +1 Chalice
    +1 Needle
    +1 Prelate
    +1 Plaguecrafter
    +1 Jailer
    +1 LRW

In retrospect, Bitterblossom might also have been good. But I still worry about its castability, in particular against a deck with so much mana denial. There's also something to say for Council's Judgment here, because it deals with Marit Lage, Tracker, Drop of Honey and problem enchantments. But it's very important in this match-up to keep your creature count high enough as well.

R2: Dredge 2-1

Game 1, I am on the draw. I have a hand and he has a dredge hand = turn 2 scoop.
    Game 2 and 3 he mulls and fails to find dredgers in time. He did manage to blind therapy my prelate. Judge's Familiar keeps him from capitalizing on bridges at any point game 2 and Canonist kept the therapy train in check game 3.

Siding:

-1 SFM
    -1 SOFI
    -1 Mirran
    -1 Avenger
    -1 Pontiff

+1 RIP
    +1 Tutor
    +1 Plaguecrafter
    +1 Canonist
    +1 Path to Exile

My sideboard is very low on grave hate. I have given up on (BR) reanimator, but decks like dredge and lands are much more beatable with proper grave hate. Problem is that those slots of grave hate tend to be so narrow.

R3: Enchantress 0-2

Game 1, I mull to a poor hand which has the potential for mana denial (port + waste) on the play. Unfortunately, he mulls to a six full of land as well and I'm way too slow.
    Game 2, I have a mediocre hand which can sequence thalia into recruiter and has a wisp. This is, once again, too slow. Using Estrid's Invocation, he can simultaneously slow down my clock as well as pump up his manabase. He also finds two Ixalan's Binding (with the ridiculous card advantage that is Invocation + Eidolon of Blossoms) to take care of my prelate and thalia. I was manascrewed myself, having fetched for basics rather than duals because I knew he was playing back to basics. This made it impossible for me later to use pontiff to deal with enchantress, and possibly his eidolon as well if he had taken the bait. Eventually, he find Doomwake Giant + Invocation and Serra's Sanctum to instantly wipe my board.

+1 Tutor
    +1 LRW
    +1 Canonist
    +2 Council
    +1 Prelate
    +1 Pontiff
    +1 Chalice
    +1 O-ring

-4 STP
    -1 SFM
    -1 Jitte
    -1 Familiar
    -1 Ballista
    -1 Revoker

Cataclysm would have been good, more hatebears too, maybe. But above all, the deck just felt too slow to deal with this archetype.

R4: Goblins 1-2

Game 1, he is on the play. Hence, his vial is a turn faster and he curves it into cratermaker for my vial. I revoker his vial afterwards, so he is colorscrewed while I am just manascrewed. Unfortunately, he finds a mountain while I don't find a land at all and it all avalanches very quickly from there.
    Game 2, I curve vial + port into mom into flying cleric into jitte into recruiter for wisp to protect jitte and, without vial or lackey, he can't keep up.
    Game 3, we both have vial again. I cast needle in my turn 3 and activate vial in response, dropping an avenger and needling vial. I had jitte in hand and, while he had double port, I hoped to force him to make a play to gain some board substance, allowing me to connect with jitte. Unfortunately, he pyrokinesis's my avenger away and has hardcast chainwhirler for my follow-up creature. After that he lands siege-gang, which I sort of address for a turn with pontiff. As a result, knowing that he has a ringleader he matron'd for last turn, I am forced to wisp my needle onto siege-gang, allowing him to vial in ringleader, which finds a matron for trashmaster and that is that.

+1 Tutor
    +1 LRW
    +1 Path
    +1 Pontiff
    +1 Needle
    +1 O-ring

-4 Thalia
    -1 Spirit
    -1 Prelate

Honestly, with all the goodstuff they've gotten recently, this match-up feels really, really bad. Trashmaster was bearable. Cratermaker is just ridiculous.

R5: Eldrazi 2-0
    Game 1, he mulls to six and starts with thorn. I start with waste (tomb), then curve into stoneforge for skull. He drops a chalice, a 3/3 endless one and dismembers my germ. I waste again (temple), then wisp skull as I find my third land and he scoops.
    Game 2, he mulls to five, starts with eye for mimic and then a wastes for matter reshaper. I take the mimic damage and path the reshaper, making him ragequit.

+1 Tutor
    +1 Path
    +1 LRW
    +2 Council
    +1 O-ring
    +1 Jailer
    +1 Plaguecrafter
    +1 Needle
    +1 Bitterblossom

-4 Thalia
    -3 Mother
    -1 Familiar
    -1 Spirit
    -1 Prelate

A meta of three poor to bad match-ups and two neutral ones. Doesn't feel like a very good time to be playing this deck and I didn't even encounter grixis control.

Thread Information