Page 163 of 533 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213263 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,260 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Shine On
    Oct 2009
    Canada

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

If your meta is heavily saturated with U, be it Delver, Midrange (Blade), Miracles or combo (ANT, Tin Fins, Reanimator), this guy could be worth maindecking. Until then he is DEFINITELY jumping into the E Tutor SB plan.

So Sweet. For once, Wizards does it right.

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    It seems very very good against anything running cantrips. It shuts off brainstorm and ponder, jacestorm, enter the infinite, visions and against decks that run none of those 3/1 base stats are not terrible. Does it warrant a slot? maybe, its all a game of how many if at all.
    the thing is our deck is already good at fighting decks running can trips. thalia makes cantrips inefficient. brainstorming/pondering for 2 mana is never something any deck wants to do. Theoretically we shut cantrips down anyway is all im saying. But as a side board card, this card does have a lot of merit. Omnitell effectively cannot win with this on the field.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by raikenxy View Post
    the thing is our deck is already good at fighting decks running can trips. thalia makes cantrips inefficient. brainstorming/pondering for 2 mana is never something any deck wants to do. Theoretically we shut cantrips down anyway is all im saying. But as a side board card, this card does have a lot of merit. Omnitell effectively cannot win with this on the field.
    Elves! This kills the Elves quite smartly my lad!

Sent from my mobile phone; please ignore spelling errors or grammatical laziness.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post

Sent from my mobile phone; please ignore spelling errors or grammatical laziness.
    wow... completely didn't even recognize it's good against elves...

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Pretty sure this card is not just good, but very good. Even if Thalia is usually better, having access to more than 4 cantrip-hosers seems great, especially since this deck has zero library manipulation. You can't always just draw a Thalia.

wow... completely didn't even recognize it's good against elves...
    Shutting down visionary symbiote engine and glimpse leaves them basically NO or bust. Especially since they can't remove it game 1 and almost can't remove it game 2 (typically 2-3 abrupt at most) this leaves them to strip it from your hand.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It can also stop Griselbrand from going nuts.

The MD is probably too tight to fit it in, but it certainly deserves a place in the 75. It's just too good against the dominant card of the format. Vialing it in with Brainstorm/Jacestorm on the stack is a major blowout since it can generate up to 2/3 cards of pure CA.

Omnitell effectively cannot win with this on the field.
    This is not true, the main plane of OmniTell against Thalia decks and Hatebears in general is Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; i Show and Tell, you drop this spirit, i drop Omniscience --> Cunning Wish --> Eladamri's Call --> Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; as a OmniTell player i had already in sideboard 2x of Pongify/Rapid Hybridization; i'll think about a 3x with this guy out, cause it is annoying indeed, it stops cantrips better than Thalia.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It can also stop Griselbrand from going nuts.

The MD is probably too tight to fit it in, but it certainly deserves a place in the 75. It's just too good against the dominant card of the format. Vialing it in with Brainstorm/Jacestorm on the stack is a major blowout since it can generate up to 2/3 cards of pure CA.
    Especially since they still will have to put the cards back on top. Ouch. This card seems good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Especially since they still will have to put the cards back on top. Ouch. This card seems good.
    Yep, especially to vial this in, in response to a Brainstorm.
    That's like Notion Thief, but one you can easily cast if you want to.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Finally something playable!

I just can't wait to Vial her in vs an opponent casting Brainstorm, hehe.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

That spirit looks very good, looking at the current meta IMO could worth a MD spot, while not as a 4x like our legendary lady...
    Combos (S&T, storm and elves) MU are very favorable now and delver decks have another creature to answer.

- L

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I'm liking both Brimaz and Spirit. I feel like this deck just got an extra push. Obviously, testing will tell, but I'm liking what I'm seeing as of yet.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I like how combining Grafdigger's Cage with SoL leaves Elves pretty much helpless unless they naturally draw into removal or a Hoof.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post
    I'm liking both Brimaz and Spirit. I feel like this deck just got an extra push. Obviously, testing will tell, but I'm liking what I'm seeing as of yet.
    Mirran Crusader > Brimalz imo. Protection from 2 decently relevant colors, plus he hits pretty damn hard, especially when you are on the equipment plan.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Mirran Crusader > Brimalz imo. Protection from 2 decently relevant colors, plus he hits pretty damn hard, especially when you are on the equipment plan.
    Also dies to punishing fire and lightning bolt, unlike Mufasa

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Also dies to punishing fire and lightning bolt, unlike Mufasa

Later in the game, Mufasa also dies to PFire (though it takes 5 mana and a grove which isn't always possible). I mean don't get me wrong, I don't think he is bad. I just feel like as a 3 mana beat stick, crusader seems better. Walking right past a goyf without any help seems good. I could be wrong. Being Karakas-able (making up words is fun) might tip this guy over the edge here in this deck.

Also you forgot a period, therefore your post is invalid ;)

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Later in the game, Mufasa also dies to PFire (though it takes 5 mana and a grove which isn't always possible). I mean don't get me wrong, I don't think he is bad. I just feel like as a 3 mana beat stick, crusader seems better. Walking right past a goyf without any help seems good. I could be wrong. Being Karakas-able (making up words is fun) might tip this guy over the edge here in this deck.

Also you forgot a period, therefore your post is invalid ;)
    Falls under laziness. Read the disclaimer!

In all seriousness, though, I think we're approaching a paradigm shift in D&T, with the road splitting between Creature Control and Disruptive Aggro. This has already been foreshadowed by lists cutting Mangara completely, especially Mr. Kurpaska's list. Spirit of the Labyrinth and Mufasa are just going to further develop that divide. If I were to predict what they would look like, I would say:

4 Mom
    4 Thalia
    4 Revoker
    4 SFM
    4 Spirit
    4 Avenger
    3 Brimaz/Crusader

A lower curve means we can go to 22 lands. Each creature serves a role, with Mufasa and Avenger serving as our killers. What do we lose? Primarily Flickerwisp, a long time boon of this deck. However, it is frail for its mana cost and not particularly insane when hardcast (though still good). Brimaz gives us a trump against Jund; Crusader against BGx/Goyfs.

4 Mom
    4 Thalia
    4 Revoker
    4 SFM
    3 Spirit
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Avenger
    2 Mangara of Corondor

We lose some beef without Crusader, Mufasa and having our fliers cut down. We gain some flexibility in our game one, and keep some of the killer finishing moves (especially Mangara of Corondor). This list is obviously blown out more by -1/-1 effects; I would have 2-3 Liege in the board to compensate.

The above lists assume this stock shell:

4 Waste
    4 Port
    3-4 Karakas
    10-11 Plains

4 Vial
    4 STP
    1 Batterskull
    1 SoFI
    1 Jitte

Thoughts, as always, are welcome.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Losing Flickerwisp seems meh. In a format that is as heavily dominated by TNN as it is right now, having more fliers seems pretty solid. Plus Flickerwisp is just SOOO useful. I'm a fan of the card.

Losing Flickerwisp seems meh. In a format that is as heavily dominated by TNN as it is right now, having more fliers seems pretty solid. Plus Flickerwisp is just SOOO useful. I'm a fan of the card.
    I think the deck has enough room to accommodate both creatures. I'll be testing the spirit as a two of and brimaz as a one of probably cutting down one crusader and one flickerwisp/avenger

Thread Information