Page 487 of 533 FirstFirst ... 387437477483484485486487488489490491497 ... LastLast
Results 9,721 to 9,740 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

May 2018
    Seattle, WA

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Caught a hot streak! Went 4-0 for the first time at my LGS. What a couple of days it has been for me with D&T. I have the D&T community to thank, its really awesome. I lurked for a long time while learning from you all. I think its safe to say i passed freshman year at Thraben U.

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Okay folks,

For those of you going to SCGcon, we'll be having an informal D&T meetup on Friday after the conclusion of the 3:00 Legacy Challenge. This event is four rounds, so it will probably wrap up somewhere between 7:00 and 7:30. We're going to meet at the SCG Prize Wall and then relocate to some empty tables to shoot the bull about D&T. It's very likely that we will relocate for dinner, but I'm not going to solidify plans for that until I know how many people are interested. I'll push out notifications about where we've moved to and such on my Twitter, so feel free to check that for updates or if you can't find us! https://twitter.com/MangaraLock

-Phil Gallagher
    Bummer! I’m not getting in until Saturday morning 😔

I’m trying to figure out my decklist for this weekend. My decklist is mostly the Crusader D&T from Thraben University, minus a Crusader for a Spirit of the Labyrinth in the main, and a Manriki-Gusari in the SB. I was thinking of adding ina Thalia HC. Any changes y’all would suggest? Also how do we match up against Pox and mono-red Prison?

Lands (23)
    2 Cavern of Souls
    3 Karakas
    10 Plains
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

Creatures (26)
    4 Flickerwisp
    3 Mirran Crusader
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Spells (11)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    Sideboard (15)
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Council’s Judgment
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    1 Manriki Gusari

Here's where I'm at for comparison:

7 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Aether Vial
    3 Karakas
    2 Mirran Crusader
    4 Wasteland
    1 Batterskull
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Flickerwisp
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Rishadan Port
    6 Plains
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Serra Avenger

2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Cataclysm
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    3 Path to Exile
    1 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Rest in Peace

Here's where I'm at for comparison:

7 Snow-Covered Plains
    6 Plains
    I may have missed it a while back. Why the split of plains and snow-covered plains?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristin183 View Post
    I may have missed it a while back. Why the split of plains and snow-covered plains?
    Predict.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Quote Originally Posted by Tristin183 View Post
    The ability to temporarily masquerade as Mighty Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    The ability to temporarily masquerade as Mighty Quinn.
    I like this answer better.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3gg View Post
    I’m trying to figure out my decklist for this weekend. My decklist is mostly the Crusader D&T from Thraben University, minus a Crusader for a Spirit of the Labyrinth in the main, and a Manriki-Gusari in the SB. I was thinking of adding ina Thalia HC. Any changes y’all would suggest? Also how do we match up against Pox and mono-red Prison?
    Hello,
    I'd recommend not playing Spirit. He never pans out as good as he theoretically could, and is usually a disappointing attacker and hatebear. You can also cut one of the Mirran/Sanctum Prelate (but put him in side, maybe instead of one of the 2 pieces of equipment or 2nd Containment Priest) and add 2 Serra Avengers. The Angels are a much-better topdeck and 2-drop than the Spirit, and are actually great in the meta full of ways to deal with 2-toughness flipped Delvers. They are game-winning in the mono-red prison matchup, as their 3 thoughness is rather difficult for them to handle; only a tunneled Fiery Confluence can, assuming you didn't equip her with SofI or an active Jitte.
    If you want to better prepare for that matchup, you can also easily cut the 2 Caverns and play full basic. It blanks at least 8 cards of their main deck, and one of their main plans, which is usually difficult for them to overcome. It is a good edge in the Grixis Delver matchup (or other TNN decks) as well, plus it is not to be underestimated when you have a lot of double W cards to cast. Land stability is great nowadays, which is actually encouraging for new DnT players, as those Cavern's went up in prices quite importantly ... But, yeah, basic plains are underrated.

Versus Pox: get Thalia out as soon as possible and you'll be fine. They punish, probably best, greedy 1-lander hands, so I'd avoid them as well. 3 Revokers are great in this matchup. But in the overall meta, maybe going down to 2 is more reasonable. You could also consider the Horror as a potential cut for Avenger, or Prelate main.
    Last edited by Mannaus; 06-06-2018 at 09:23 AM.

New matchup primer! D&T vs Red Prison. http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?page_id=1834

New matchup primer! D&T vs Red Prison. http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?page_id=1834
    Awesome! Just in time for SCG! Thanks!

May 2017
    New Zealand

Cheers. Just to add that during GP Seattle, LCT's, main event, and PTQ's produced 1 matchup each against my son's RW DnT. The 3 games went pretty grindy and the primary wincons were karakas combined with pia and kiran nalaar for reach. Postboard was easier/faster: 2nd pia and kiran nalaar boarded in made the games end faster, or survive better in cases where he lost the first copy due to removal and no protection (no MoM, no karakas)

Add1: 3x 2-0's for all 3 matches. 2 of them starting on the draw, 1 on the play.

Add2: of the 21 legacy matches he played, unfortunately he only had 3 matchups against blue decks. Combined with only 2 out of 7?8? matches in mox 5K wednesday, I'd say the goddess of luck in your continent works in different ways :(

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Anyone working with Dire Fleet Daredevil anymore? I am starting to consistently dabble in the DnT world and everything I can read says that it is awesome and bad at the same time.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Anyone working with Dire Fleet Daredevil anymore? I am starting to consistently dabble in the DnT world and everything I can read says that it is awesome and bad at the same time.
    It's a divisive card that people have made up their minds about, but haven't agreed on. It's a high-ceiling, low-floor card that can be exceptionally good or rather poor, depending on the matchup and specific situation. Some people have adopted it, preferring its weaknesses to that of SFM. Others have rejected it. You probably have to test it yourself to see if it's for you, since the community remains divided about it.

New article up! This one looks back at the last year of content and looks forward to what's to come. Exhibition matches coming soon! http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=1853

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Hmm. Militia Bugler looks kinda good.

Militia Bugler
    Human Soldier

Vigilance

When Militia Bugler enters the battlefield, look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a creature card with power 2 or less from among them and put that card into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

2/3

I kinda like this guy. It is a pretty good power level too. That ability at that cost for a 2/3 is pretty aggressive. And with no color requirements on it, I can tell you that if there is a white weenie type deck in Standard this one will be a chase card. EDIT: Gee, it's uncommon. No big urgency then. Maybe draft fodder even.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post

Militia Bugler
    Human Soldier

Vigilance

When Militia Bugler enters the battlefield, look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a creature card with power 2 or less from among them and put that card into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

2/3

I kinda like this guy. It is a pretty good power level too. That ability at that cost for a 2/3 is pretty aggressive. And with no color requirements on it, I can tell you that if there is a white weenie type deck in Standard this one will be a chase card. EDIT: Gee, it's uncommon. No big urgency then. Maybe draft fodder even.
    He seems alright, sadly it can't pick up flickerwisp so recruiter still seems much better even with the much worse stats. So seems like it'll be pretty good in standard, jk it's not red :^)

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I agree, and if we didn't already have (the slightly anti-synergistic) Recruiter of the Guard, it'd go in its slot(s). As it stands, I'm afraid 2/3 has little going for it (but Vigilance is a nice bonus... if only they'd made this have Flanking, I'd be all-in on it ;)), except for surviving -1/-1 effects. I think if you were to go back to Imperial Taxes and play stuff like Imperial Recruiter and Kor Skyfisher again, it could be a very decent card advantage engine in the grindiest matchups - but I don't think it'll be able to find a place in "canonical" D&T. There's already too much good stuff that this won't be able to put out of contention.

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

So for the Brightling Discussion I was able to do a few smaller local events about 20-40 people per event with a smattering of decks everywhere. Brightling was an allstar every time I cast it. There was never a good time early to vial the card in with ports and wastelands firing off but if you can get to the super late game or dont have a port and wasteland draw the card is virtually unkillable.
    It singlehandedly beat miracles with its evasion and was able to fearlessly attack into a goblin chainwhirler and even gained me 12 life through lifelink against burn while also not being able to die. I think the card is really good

Quote Originally Posted by ThermalLeech View Post
    So for the Brightling Discussion I was able to do a few smaller local events about 20-40 people per event with a smattering of decks everywhere. Brightling was an allstar every time I cast it. There was never a good time early to vial the card in with ports and wastelands firing off but if you can get to the super late game or dont have a port and wasteland draw the card is virtually unkillable.
    It singlehandedly beat miracles with its evasion and was able to fearlessly attack into a goblin chainwhirler and even gained me 12 life through lifelink against burn while also not being able to die. I think the card is really good
    That's essentially why I think we can't play more than 2 of them despite how good they are.

Thread Information