Page 518 of 533 FirstFirst ... 18418468508514515516517518519520521522528 ... LastLast
Results 10,341 to 10,360 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Hey team

Where is everyone on mainboard Walking Ballista?

I have been playing it for a few weeks and it is, imho, absolutely nuts.

Is anyone else testing?
    It was excellent a month or so back, before the current control/combo meta evolved. Right now, it's still a decent Recruiter target in the 75 which can break some matches wide open.

It took me a little while to get this edited, but here's my guest tournament report with David Lance (Staticgripped) from EW. http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=2169

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    It took me a little while to get this edited, but here's my guest tournament report with David Lance (Staticgripped) from EW. http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?p=2169
    Good and solid Decklist and easy to read report. Maybe the Sideboard decisions in the matches would have been interesting. Thank you for the content!

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

27 player tournament, I went 3-2.

List:

Lands(23):
    4 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Windswept Heath
    3 Karakas
    2 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    3 Rishadan Port
    2 Cavern of Souls

Creatures(27):

3 Mother of Runes
    1 Judge's Familiar
    4 Thalia
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1 Remorseful Cleric
    1 Serra Avenger
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Mirran Crusader
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Walking Ballista

Other(11):
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard(15):
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Plaguecrafter
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

I wanted to use Enlightened Tutor to cut down somewhat on the very niche slots, i.e. RIP and canonist. In exchange, you get to pack a few utility artifact/enchantments on top of your utility creatures for recruiter. There's no Gideon or Cataclysm, because I wanted to keep the curve down with only 23 lands. Also, when splashing with fetchlands and caverns, Cataclysm becomes a much more awkward card to play. There isn't a lot of grave hate, because I've kind of given up on the match-ups where it is absolutely critical (i.e. reanimator and dredge). I want to play less specific answers for such an open meta. Plus, cleric in the main is a very good mitigating tool for this loss of functionality, while itself a multifunctional creature with evasion and a built-in chump jitte-carrier mode.

R1: Lands 2-0

Game 1, he has Exploration and punishing grove after a mull to 6, but no loam. I am tight on mana, but I had a turn 1 vial. I also have a Remorseful Cleric, which I keep back as long as I can for maximal value. He kills off a few creatures with fire until I waste grove. He assembles the depths combo with crop rotation in my turn, but I still have a plow. After this, he's spent a lot of resources (with still no loam). I go on the aggressive, resulting in him playing another crop rotation for tabernacle and maze. This forces me to sac my cleric and invalidates my sword of fire and ice, but I still have a skull left who races me to victory as port and waste keep his maze (+ staged copy) down.

Game 2, he is very short on green mana with only a grove and his turn 1 gamble backfired a bit as he lost a tracker. I have vial and swiftly land a thalia, rest in peace and sword of fire and ice, forcing him to crop rotate for karakas and grip my sword rather than my rip or vial to stay alive. My board widens and, with no real card advantage engine, his drop of honey comes way too late.

Siding:

-4 STP
    -1 Jitte
    -1 Thalia
    -1 Spirit ot Labyrinth
    -1 Pontiff
    -1 Ballista

+1 Path
    +1 RIP
    +1 Enlightened Tutor
    +1 Chalice
    +1 Needle
    +1 Prelate
    +1 Plaguecrafter
    +1 Jailer
    +1 LRW

In retrospect, Bitterblossom might also have been good. But I still worry about its castability, in particular against a deck with so much mana denial. There's also something to say for Council's Judgment here, because it deals with Marit Lage, Tracker, Drop of Honey and problem enchantments. But it's very important in this match-up to keep your creature count high enough as well.

R2: Dredge 2-1

Game 1, I am on the draw. I have a hand and he has a dredge hand = turn 2 scoop.
    Game 2 and 3 he mulls and fails to find dredgers in time. He did manage to blind therapy my prelate. Judge's Familiar keeps him from capitalizing on bridges at any point game 2 and Canonist kept the therapy train in check game 3.

Siding:

-1 SFM
    -1 SOFI
    -1 Mirran
    -1 Avenger
    -1 Pontiff

+1 RIP
    +1 Tutor
    +1 Plaguecrafter
    +1 Canonist
    +1 Path to Exile

My sideboard is very low on grave hate. I have given up on (BR) reanimator, but decks like dredge and lands are much more beatable with proper grave hate. Problem is that those slots of grave hate tend to be so narrow.

R3: Enchantress 0-2

Game 1, I mull to a poor hand which has the potential for mana denial (port + waste) on the play. Unfortunately, he mulls to a six full of land as well and I'm way too slow.
    Game 2, I have a mediocre hand which can sequence thalia into recruiter and has a wisp. This is, once again, too slow. Using Estrid's Invocation, he can simultaneously slow down my clock as well as pump up his manabase. He also finds two Ixalan's Binding (with the ridiculous card advantage that is Invocation + Eidolon of Blossoms) to take care of my prelate and thalia. I was manascrewed myself, having fetched for basics rather than duals because I knew he was playing back to basics. This made it impossible for me later to use pontiff to deal with enchantress, and possibly his eidolon as well if he had taken the bait. Eventually, he find Doomwake Giant + Invocation and Serra's Sanctum to instantly wipe my board.

+1 Tutor
    +1 LRW
    +1 Canonist
    +2 Council
    +1 Prelate
    +1 Pontiff
    +1 Chalice
    +1 O-ring

-4 STP
    -1 SFM
    -1 Jitte
    -1 Familiar
    -1 Ballista
    -1 Revoker

Cataclysm would have been good, more hatebears too, maybe. But above all, the deck just felt too slow to deal with this archetype.

R4: Goblins 1-2

Game 1, he is on the play. Hence, his vial is a turn faster and he curves it into cratermaker for my vial. I revoker his vial afterwards, so he is colorscrewed while I am just manascrewed. Unfortunately, he finds a mountain while I don't find a land at all and it all avalanches very quickly from there.
    Game 2, I curve vial + port into mom into flying cleric into jitte into recruiter for wisp to protect jitte and, without vial or lackey, he can't keep up.
    Game 3, we both have vial again. I cast needle in my turn 3 and activate vial in response, dropping an avenger and needling vial. I had jitte in hand and, while he had double port, I hoped to force him to make a play to gain some board substance, allowing me to connect with jitte. Unfortunately, he pyrokinesis's my avenger away and has hardcast chainwhirler for my follow-up creature. After that he lands siege-gang, which I sort of address for a turn with pontiff. As a result, knowing that he has a ringleader he matron'd for last turn, I am forced to wisp my needle onto siege-gang, allowing him to vial in ringleader, which finds a matron for trashmaster and that is that.

+1 Tutor
    +1 LRW
    +1 Path
    +1 Pontiff
    +1 Needle
    +1 O-ring

-4 Thalia
    -1 Spirit
    -1 Prelate

Honestly, with all the goodstuff they've gotten recently, this match-up feels really, really bad. Trashmaster was bearable. Cratermaker is just ridiculous.

R5: Eldrazi 2-0
    Game 1, he mulls to six and starts with thorn. I start with waste (tomb), then curve into stoneforge for skull. He drops a chalice, a 3/3 endless one and dismembers my germ. I waste again (temple), then wisp skull as I find my third land and he scoops.
    Game 2, he mulls to five, starts with eye for mimic and then a wastes for matter reshaper. I take the mimic damage and path the reshaper, making him ragequit.

+1 Tutor
    +1 Path
    +1 LRW
    +2 Council
    +1 O-ring
    +1 Jailer
    +1 Plaguecrafter
    +1 Needle
    +1 Bitterblossom

-4 Thalia
    -3 Mother
    -1 Familiar
    -1 Spirit
    -1 Prelate

A meta of three poor to bad match-ups and two neutral ones. Doesn't feel like a very good time to be playing this deck and I didn't even encounter grixis control.

Hey folks, if you enjoy my Legacy content, would you do me a favor and subscribe to me on Youtube (it's free). I can monetize my Youtube account if I get about 300 more followers. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5m...Q7UPUYEZ7qMagg

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I sadly went 1-3 with the deck in the Las Vegas SCG event, we did not stay for the Legacy Classic Day 2.

Went like this:

BU Shadow: L 2-1
    BU Shadow: W 2-0
    Mirror: L 2-1
    Sneak and Show: L 2-1

Super disappointing as all of these matchups should be winnable. Poor draws on my part and lots of drawn sideboard cards by my opponents.

First Shadow player had multiple massacres and multiple dread of nights in the board... and I saw them both.

We all had fun though, convention center was great and Vegas was boss as always.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Nov 2016
    Los Angeles, CA

Didn't drop a game the 5 matches I played at SCG vegas. Unfortunately we didn't do great as a team, including one assisted punt by me. Either way deck felt good, even if it was probably a bad deck for the weekend

Round 1 2-0 U Wizards (he top 8'd)
    Round 2 2-0 Mono black sinkholes and discard
    Round 3 2-0 DnT
    Round 4 1-0 UW Rip Helm blade
    Round 5 2-0 Grixis Control.

U Wizards ?? I want the list !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ataraxy View Post
    U Wizards ?? I want the list !!
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1475539#paper

here you go if you didnt found it yourself already

Quote Originally Posted by Elpresidente View Post
    Didn't drop a game the 5 matches I played at SCG vegas. Unfortunately we didn't do great as a team, including one assisted punt by me. Either way deck felt good, even if it was probably a bad deck for the weekend

Round 1 2-0 U Wizards (he top 8'd)
    Round 2 2-0 Mono black sinkholes and discard
    Round 3 2-0 DnT
    Round 4 1-0 UW Rip Helm blade
    Round 5 2-0 Grixis Control.
    Did you post your Decklist anywhere? Would be interesting.

Jul 2018
    San Francisco, CA

GP Shizuoka

This morning, I awoke in Tokyo and will take the train to Shizuoka for the Legacy Grand Prix. One year ago, I looked at the GP schedule and decided that I would use this tournament as a motivator to travel here, which I have wanted to do for many years. In February, I built D&T on MTGO to help practice and also traveled to GP Seattle this past April. I am not wealthy, I work 50 hours a week, full time at a grocery store and part time on the internet. I don't have a family yet, so I am taking this time for myself. Besides the main event, there is also a constructed fanatic package, so I plan to play in quite a few matches. My only goal is to play all 8 rounds in day one and not leave early. My deck is WW and I brought a huge maybe-board. I'll likely be playing 10 Plains with a Cavern/Canopy split. The most uncommon cards in my SB are Devout Lightcaster for Liliana and 1 Grafdigger's Cage instead of 2 RIP because I expect to see more Dredge than Lands. This post is to say THANK YOU to all of the ideas and insight that are shared here, and to share my experience in return.

Re: GP Shizuoka

Quote Originally Posted by JitteJitte View Post
    This morning, I awoke in Tokyo and will take the train to Shizuoka for the Legacy Grand Prix. One year ago, I looked at the GP schedule and decided that I would use this tournament as a motivator to travel here, which I have wanted to do for many years. In February, I built D&T on MTGO to help practice and also traveled to GP Seattle this past April. I am not wealthy, I work 50 hours a week, full time at a grocery store and part time on the internet. I don't have a family yet, so I am taking this time for myself. Besides the main event, there is also a constructed fanatic package, so I plan to play in quite a few matches. My only goal is to play all 8 rounds in day one and not leave early. My deck is WW and I brought a huge maybe-board. I'll likely be playing 10 Plains with a Cavern/Canopy split. The most uncommon cards in my SB are Devout Lightcaster for Liliana and 1 Grafdigger's Cage instead of 2 RIP because I expect to see more Dredge than Lands. This post is to say THANK YOU to all of the ideas and insight that are shared here, and to share my experience in return.
    Good Luck and even more important have fun! Go play some Vials on turn 1!

Jul 2018
    San Francisco, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tyres View Post
    Good Luck and even more important have fun! Go play some Vials on turn 1!
    GP Shizuoka Tournament Report
    Decklist:
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Flickerwisp
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Remorseful Cleric
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    10 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    3 Karakas
    2 Cavern of Souls
    ---
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Leonin Relic Warder
    2 Brightling
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

On a lark, I woke up and decided to play Mangara for the first time all year. I wanted a maindeck answer for back to basics. I took out the Jailer, which often winds up feeling like a liability to me, and the spots where it's safe to play it are fewer than the spots when I'm forced to use my resources. Perhaps I just need to learn more about the format.

As the tournament was starting, my nerves were racing and I prayed for grace and compassion. I am in a country that I've never been to surrounded by people who speak a language I only know very little of. Luckily, most of my opponents also knew very little English, so we were equals in that respect. My experience with Japanese players is that they are courteous and focus on the game. Not having the ability to communicate outside of game actions was actually a benefit, in my opinion. Many American players I've come across attempt to intimidate and distract, so keeping to the beauty of the game was very enjoyable.

R1: 2-1 The Antiquities War. I've never played against this deck, so I called a judge multiple times for oracle text. That's normal for Legacy anyway, so while it was a little embarrassing, the judges helped very much. G1 he set up mana advantage, and I scooped for time. G2 Thalia + Wasteland did the trick. G3 Flickerwisp killed a Glimmervoid and I was able to stay ahead.
    1-0

R2: 2-1 Reanimator. My nerves were still pretty crazy and I was missing Vial triggers. G1 I had a T1 Karakas which was eventually exiled by an Ashen Rider. He set up multiple colors of blockers that Mom couldn't get through. G2 Mom + Flickerwisp held off Griselbrand and Crusader took it home. G3 I got lucky and drew both RIP. The first was in time to exile Tidespout Tyrant and was met with Wear/Tear. The second stuck around the whole game. I seriously punted and Pithing Needled on Lotus Petal. Luckily it never mattered and the Flickerwisp that finished the game reset it to Griselbrand before the end.
    2-0

R3: 1-1-1 Goblins. Mangara is slow and this match reminded me of that. Another 10 minutes and Brightling would have brought this one in my favor, but the round was timed and so into the draw bracket we go.
    2-0-1

R4: 1-2 Miracles. At the beginning of the round, we were stopped and my opponent was switched. There had been a mix up on the results slip, so we were given a time extension. G1 I had a Prelate and named 6. He followed up with Humility and Jace, ugh. I was close to fighting through, but Mentor took over. G3 my opp missed using his Jace on a turn. I got so excited that I quickly untapped and drew, missing more Vial triggers. I drew Brightling and was not patient, staring down a Jace. He had a Counterspell and I never caught up on resources. D&T has different operating speeds for different matchups, and Miracles has been one of the most difficult for me to figure out. I think it's quite medium.
    2-1-1

At this point, to make day 2, I must win the remaining 4 rounds.

R5: 2-0 UB Delver. Mangara patiently waited as Insectile Aberration swung at me. I killed the bug and SOFI closed the game. Wasteland is awesome, and sometimes it does incredibly heavy lifting. I'm sure my opponent has a family, but I put Sword of Fire and Ice and Mirran Crusader in my deck for a reason. This one was a slaughter.
    3-1-1

R6: 2-1 Grixis Control. This one was a grind, as it always is. K Command took out my Revoker in G1, and there was too much pressure to withstand. Remorseful Cleric is not a great card, but its good enough most of the time. It's a Snapcaster Sniffer. I was able to survive more K Commands and tax. G3 Crusader picked up SOFI again and shot two birds out of the sky. Nerves settling down.
    4-1-1

R7: 2-1 BUG Control. Another Strix deck. G3 T1 Vial into Wasteland was all she wrote. T2 I played Mom + Vialed Mom and started beating down. I smelled weakness and he didn't have anything. Vialed SFM and cast Jitte. Vialed Crusader, runaway train.
    5-1-1

R8: 0-2 Dragon Stompy. Lost the die roll. G1 T1 Legion Warboss into T2 Legion Warboss. G2 T1 Goblin Rabblemaster. Thalia + Mom ate it to Sulfur Elemental. Chandra Pyromaster ended the tournament for me.
    5-2-1

Takeaways:
    -Walking Ballista is great. This is according to the groans of my opponents as I played it.
    -Karn is good. It draws cards and makes threats.
    -Mangara is slow and I think the format has moved on.
    -If you set realistic goals, you can reach them.

Quote Originally Posted by JitteJitte View Post
    GP Shizuoka Tournament Report
    Decklist:
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Flickerwisp
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Remorseful Cleric
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    10 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    3 Karakas
    2 Cavern of Souls
    ---
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Leonin Relic Warder
    2 Brightling
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

On a lark, I woke up and decided to play Mangara for the first time all year. I wanted a maindeck answer for back to basics. I took out the Jailer, which often winds up feeling like a liability to me, and the spots where it's safe to play it are fewer than the spots when I'm forced to use my resources. Perhaps I just need to learn more about the format.

As the tournament was starting, my nerves were racing and I prayed for grace and compassion. I am in a country that I've never been to surrounded by people who speak a language I only know very little of. Luckily, most of my opponents also knew very little English, so we were equals in that respect. My experience with Japanese players is that they are courteous and focus on the game. Not having the ability to communicate outside of game actions was actually a benefit, in my opinion. Many American players I've come across attempt to intimidate and distract, so keeping to the beauty of the game was very enjoyable.

R1: 2-1 The Antiquities War. I've never played against this deck, so I called a judge multiple times for oracle text. That's normal for Legacy anyway, so while it was a little embarrassing, the judges helped very much. G1 he set up mana advantage, and I scooped for time. G2 Thalia + Wasteland did the trick. G3 Flickerwisp killed a Glimmervoid and I was able to stay ahead.
    1-0

R2: 2-1 Reanimator. My nerves were still pretty crazy and I was missing Vial triggers. G1 I had a T1 Karakas which was eventually exiled by an Ashen Rider. He set up multiple colors of blockers that Mom couldn't get through. G2 Mom + Flickerwisp held off Griselbrand and Crusader took it home. G3 I got lucky and drew both RIP. The first was in time to exile Tidespout Tyrant and was met with Wear/Tear. The second stuck around the whole game. I seriously punted and Pithing Needled on Lotus Petal. Luckily it never mattered and the Flickerwisp that finished the game reset it to Griselbrand before the end.
    2-0

R3: 1-1-1 Goblins. Mangara is slow and this match reminded me of that. Another 10 minutes and Brightling would have brought this one in my favor, but the round was timed and so into the draw bracket we go.
    2-0-1

R4: 1-2 Miracles. At the beginning of the round, we were stopped and my opponent was switched. There had been a mix up on the results slip, so we were given a time extension. G1 I had a Prelate and named 6. He followed up with Humility and Jace, ugh. I was close to fighting through, but Mentor took over. G3 my opp missed using his Jace on a turn. I got so excited that I quickly untapped and drew, missing more Vial triggers. I drew Brightling and was not patient, staring down a Jace. He had a Counterspell and I never caught up on resources. D&T has different operating speeds for different matchups, and Miracles has been one of the most difficult for me to figure out. I think it's quite medium.
    2-1-1

At this point, to make day 2, I must win the remaining 4 rounds.

R5: 2-0 UB Delver. Mangara patiently waited as Insectile Aberration swung at me. I killed the bug and SOFI closed the game. Wasteland is awesome, and sometimes it does incredibly heavy lifting. I'm sure my opponent has a family, but I put Sword of Fire and Ice and Mirran Crusader in my deck for a reason. This one was a slaughter.
    3-1-1

R6: 2-1 Grixis Control. This one was a grind, as it always is. K Command took out my Revoker in G1, and there was too much pressure to withstand. Remorseful Cleric is not a great card, but its good enough most of the time. It's a Snapcaster Sniffer. I was able to survive more K Commands and tax. G3 Crusader picked up SOFI again and shot two birds out of the sky. Nerves settling down.
    4-1-1

R7: 2-1 BUG Control. Another Strix deck. G3 T1 Vial into Wasteland was all she wrote. T2 I played Mom + Vialed Mom and started beating down. I smelled weakness and he didn't have anything. Vialed SFM and cast Jitte. Vialed Crusader, runaway train.
    5-1-1

R8: 0-2 Dragon Stompy. Lost the die roll. G1 T1 Legion Warboss into T2 Legion Warboss. G2 T1 Goblin Rabblemaster. Thalia + Mom ate it to Sulfur Elemental. Chandra Pyromaster ended the tournament for me.
    5-2-1

Takeaways:
    -Walking Ballista is great. This is according to the groans of my opponents as I played it.
    -Karn is good. It draws cards and makes threats.
    -Mangara is slow and I think the format has moved on.
    -If you set realistic goals, you can reach them.
    Interesting on the choice of karn in the sb. Able to give more details on which matchup was t good for you?

Jul 2018
    San Francisco, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Enesta View Post
    Interesting on the choice of karn in the sb. Able to give more details on which matchup was t good for you?
    I like Karn against control and slow, fair matchups. Many D&T decks play ~2 non-creature four mana spells. The ones I see most often are Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Cataclysm. Elspeth, Knight Errant is another choice. I like Karn because he has a high loyalty and draws cards, which is difficult with white mana. I recently played a long game 2 vs. Grixis Control. Karn consumed my opp resources for many turns before eventually being killed. Gideon was then drawn and closed the game. I imagine the same would have been true in reverse order. In my experience, Legacy games tend to be fought over very narrow axis. Having the ability to add an additional axis for the opp to deal with can be the difference between a win and loss.

p.s. The day after the main event, I played in a 168 player comp REL Legacy side event. Somehow I got 3rd place ;) I know the best Legacy players were busy with Day 2 of the GP, but it still felt nice to do well.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

You guys seen Lavinia?

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoi...rius-renegade/

Terminus and Force of Will hoser. As well as storm combo. Eldrazi <-- nope. Elves, maybe? What else?

Is it enough to warrant bastardizing DnT for blue? What else would go in such a deck?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Does Blue help us beat Grixis Control? Because if not, the splash is probably not worth it.

Blue humans that may be relevant vs Grixis Control:
    Azure Mage/Mystic Archaeologist: card draw
    Invisible Stalker: Hexproof + evasive equipment carrier
    Meddling Mage: Hate
    New Prahv Guildmage: Evasion + creature or PW hate
    Tetsuko Umezawa: Evasion
    Warkite Marauder: Evasion
    Daxos of Meletis: Evasion + semi card draw
    Exclusion Mage/Mistblade Shinobi/Reflector Mage/etc: Bounce is great vs Angler and bad vs Strix and Snapcaster
    Sea Gate Oracle: filter + draw
    Slippery Scoundrel: Hexproof + unblockable

Basically they all suck against Grixis except Meddling Mage and MAYBE Azure Mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Jun 2015
    NYC

The card feels similar to Prelate to me in that it's very good against Storm and Miracles, but a blank against fair creature decks. Considerably worse than Prelate vs Delver, Lands, Loam. It's a two drop in theory, but to hit UW reliably on turn 2 you really need to warp the manabase.

You can already turn DnT into hatebear.dec if you want to beat the spells decks, the issue is that that deck is terrible in fair mirrors. I could see it being decent in Legacy Humans (which kinda is hatebear.dec anyway) but the same issues are still there.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    Does Blue help us beat Grixis Control? Because if not, the splash is probably not worth it.
    Probably not. The card for that matchup is Sanctum Prelate, I think. But a card with such a broadly powerful effect that reins in the power of decks that are traditionally strong against D+T simply can not be ignored. It may be that experience indicates that those other matchups are much improved to the point that the deck can be pruned of some of the other cards that were good against those matchups, but less so than Lavinia.

But the bar for including a second color is extremely high. And there are so many cards pulling D+T to every other color. To my thinking, this is the strongest pull to blue ever - because there has never been anything on this power level. But it is entirely possible, and even likely that it just means that now every color (and not every color except blue) has a strong pull to entice players to want to splash. Why is this card any different? Gaddock Teeg has been around for ages.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

I just had the weirdest brewing idea. I need some feedback on it.
    First, for context, I've been brewing a black splash for a while. Benefits of Dark Confidant, Kitesail Freebooter, and Orzhov Pontiff are well known. They improve most matchups by a large degree, at the cost of some stability. Despite the card advantage of Dark Confidant, Grixis Control still easily grinds us out. Given the large meta share of Grixis Control, its hard to justify the splash if we don't gain effective tools against them.
    My recent eureka moment: Athreos
    Sure its not perfect (doesn't play nice with Recruiter, hard to make it stand up). But 2 in the sideboard to come in against removal heavy decks (like Grixis, not Miracles) seems like an easy way to counter-grind. In such matchups, you're already the beatdown deck (in the sense of "Who's the Beatdown) so every time they pay life to Athreos, you profit to a degree. Since Athreos is usually not a creature, he dodges everything Grixis can throw at him. Should Athreos stand up, you can block Angler for profit or attack into Strix (also squares up with Eldrazi and Goyfs).
    Thoughts?
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Thread Information