Page 211 of 533 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,220 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by planeswalkerzen View Post
    Fair enough, so when you playing against a fair deck like RUG Delver you bring in the 2 RIP but not the Tutor? How would you SB with your list against decks like RUG Delver and Shardless BUG?
    Against RUG Delver: -4 Phyrexian Revoker +2x Rest in Peace +1 Ratchet Bomb +1 Council's Judgement.

Against Shardless BUG: -4 Phyrexian Revoker +2 Rest in Peace +2 Wilt-Leaf Liege

Jun 2011
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Against RUG Delver: -4 Phyrexian Revoker +2x Rest in Peace +1 Ratchet Bomb +1 Council's Judgement.

Against Shardless BUG: -4 Phyrexian Revoker +2 Rest in Peace +2 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    So I played your build of D&T (slightly tweaked) at my local legacy last night and ran into Jund in the last round. I ended up winning the match but just felt like I side-boarded wrong.

How would you sideboard against Jund with your current sideboard?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    So I played your build of D&T (slightly tweaked) at my local legacy last night and ran into Jund in the last round. I ended up winning the match but just felt like I side-boarded wrong.

How would you sideboard against Jund with your current sideboard?

Thanks
    Shardless BUG and Jund are very similar except that Jund has an easier time dealing with equipment because of Ancient Grudge. I would sideboard the same way in both match ups.

Jun 2011
    n/a

Shardless BUG and Jund are very similar except that Jund has an easier time dealing with equipment because of Ancient Grudge. I would sideboard the same way in both match ups.
    Thanks, I also sided in Cataclysm but I guess that its unnecessary.

Any thought about running Dust Bowl? Works great with Flagstones btw.

Is there a general consensus for which SB card is best against burn? COP:Red or Kor Firewalker are probably the top choices, I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by koten View Post
    Is there a general consensus for which SB card is best against burn? COP:Red or Kor Firewalker are probably the top choices, I'm guessing.
    People discuss Warmth vs. Circle of Protection:Red but I think that COP:Red is clearly the best sideboard card vs. Burn. Absolute Law is also pretty good, but it requires you to draw Stoneforge Mystic and COP:Red just wins on its own.

Sep 2010
    MNL

I just won a 48-man tourney (the first major one here after the TC banning) for an UNL Underground Sea.

My list was:
    9 Plains
    4 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Horizon Canopy

4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Serra Avenger
    4 Flickerwisp
    2 Mangara of Corondor
    2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Sideboard
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Rest In Peace
    2 Ethersword Canonist
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Council's Judgement
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Manriki-Gusari
    1 Cataclysm

Mangara and Brimaz did a lot of work for me today, and it allows me to maximize my quad-Karakas. I was also extremely lucky with a bunch of really good hands, and a lot of bad hands for my opponents.

R1 - BURG 2-1 (1-0)
    R1G1: Mulled. Got killed by a Mongoose and Tarmo.
    R1G2G3: Both games he was barely in it because of Thalia, Karakas, Mana denial plus poor draws for him. One game, he had no answers for Brimaz, another one he got hit by RIP pretty bad.

R2 - Esper Deathblade 0-1 (1-1)
    R2G1: Long game wherein I finally stabilized and was about to win but he gets to DigTT twice and kills me with TNN and Batterskull. Interesting point in the game was he had to 3-for-1 my Mangara (STP'd it, I bounced, then when I replayed it he FoW'ed), which contributed to his victory.
    R2G2: Needed 1 more damage to eke out a draw but wasn't meant to be. Made a lot of poor decisions that would have resulted into a win for me (I counted 3).

R3 - Sneak and Show 2-0 (2-1)
    R3G1: Thalia plus Wasteland and Port gets there.
    R3G2: Karakas plus Containment Priest snatches the victory as he already had Sneak in play, and was about to go R,R against my Karakas.

R4 - RUG 2-0 (3-1)
    R4G1: Vial and double Wasteland hand leaves him landless.
    R4G2: Played around Stifle (which I found out later he had) and Daze. Managed to kill his Delver and the only damage I got was from tapping my Canopy.

R5 - Miracles 1-1 (3-1-1)
    R5G1: Long drawn out game wherein I get him down to 1 but then I lose to Entreat.
    R5G2: Managed to kill him on the last turn possible, letting me salvage a draw.

R6 - Miracles 2-0 (4-1-1)
    R6G1: Extremely good hand loaded with Vial, Thalia, Stoneforge and Revoker.
    R6G2: Long game but I managed to win when he tried to Brainstorm into Entreat but I managed to get him with Canonist. Thalia was again MVP, as well as Brimaz, with Karakas Protection. The threat of Mangara lock forced him to Terminus, but I had a Flickerwisp to save it so he had to waste another swords on it when it came back.

I was 7th so I was pretty much going to be on the draw for the rest of the top8.
    T8 - Infect 2-0 (5-1-1)
    T8G1: He had a subpar hand, and he was forced to Berserk my attacking Revoker on Hierarch because he was light on lands. He needed 1 more infect damage to go for the kill turn2 but he didn't have it and was forced to use his Berserk and Vines on my stuff (he vines in response to an equip of Jitte).
    T8G2: He mulled to a pretty decent 5. Made a mistake of walking my Canonist into his Daze. Had to play smart because he had 2 Inkmoth's in play and had a Needle on Port. Eventually got there.

T4 - Belcher 2-1 (6-1-1)
    T4G1: He mulled to 6 and was on the play but just went done go for his first turn so I got a free Time Walk. He draws the needed card and goes off his T2, but had only 6 mana floating when he played his Belcher (2 left) so he was forced to pop his LED to activate. Luckily, Taiga was the 5th card down and I was down to 10. I landed Thalia and won from there. If he would have had 7 mana floating when he played Belcher, he could've saved his LED for a 2nd activation next turn to kill me.
    T4G2: He goes T1 18 Goblin tokens. I needed to draw my Ratchet Bomb but I didn't.
    T4G3: He keeps his 7, I mull. Not looking good. He goes T1 Charbelcher with enough mana to go off next turn, saw his hand via Land Grant. This was enough for me to land my Revoker and win from there. I can't believe my luck for beating Belcher!

Top2 - Grixis 2-0 (7-1-1)
    T2G1: Managed to lock him with Thalia and Port early.
    T2G2: Mulled to a Vial and Triple Thalia with only 1 Wasteland hand. Vial, Thalia, Brimaz, Flickerwisp gets there against his TNN and YP.

It's a good time to be playing the deck again. UR Delver with TC was almost impossible when they're on the play and I'm glad that it's gone. The Meta seems to be Miracles-centric now. Hopefully, this means that it pushes out Elves even more and subsequently, Sneak and Show comes back strong, which can only be good for us. Various 3-color decks also seemed poised to make a comeback as well(RUG, BUG, TNN-stoneblade) which are good to okay matchups for us. I love my 2 Mangara and 2 Brimaz configuration and might likely stay that way even if BUG makes a comeback. The 8-Legend/4-Karakas setup leads to plenty of board states that allows you to protect a critical creature.

Keep on Taxing!

Jun 2012
    Polluted Delta

Congrats on the win!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjumbo03 View Post
    R2 - Esper Deathblade 0-1 (1-1)
    R2G1: Long game wherein I finally stabilized and was about to win but he gets to DigTT twice and kills me with TNN and Batterskull. Interesting point in the game was he had to 3-for-1 my Mangara (STP'd it, I bounced, then when I replayed it he FoW'ed), which contributed to his victory.
    R2G2: Needed 1 more damage to eke out a draw but wasn't meant to be. Made a lot of poor decisions that would have resulted into a win for me (I counted 3).
    All that with Thalia in play!

It was really devastating watching DnT getting rekt by elves on SCG stream this weekend. Anything we can do to make the matchup better? Include Gut Shots in SB? I don't really like Ratchet Bomb because it blows up Vial.

Quote Originally Posted by echofish View Post
    It was really devastating watching DnT getting rekt by elves on SCG stream this weekend. Anything we can do to make the matchup better? Include Gut Shots in SB? I don't really like Ratchet Bomb because it blows up Vial.
    It felt horrible to fall from 9-1 to 9-4 and brick for t8, and getting paired against Hoey again just 1 week after he knocked me out of a 7-round super IQ was pretty tilting. If there's some powerful bullet for elves that we can board, I'm up for it, even if it's not good in other matchups. It's hard to find a good etutor target (like moat used to be) that doesn't just get immediately reclamation saged.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by hill_giant View Post
    It felt horrible to fall from 9-1 to 9-4 and brick for t8, and getting paired against Hoey again just 1 week after he knocked me out of a 7-round super IQ was pretty tilting. If there's some powerful bullet for elves that we can board, I'm up for it, even if it's not good in other matchups. It's hard to find a good etutor target (like moat used to be) that doesn't just get immediately reclamation saged.
    Well, you could try Magus of the Moat (was that was Dave Shiels that ran it), but you can't Tutor for it. I mean, literally everything you can tutor for will get killed by Sage, so I think that might be a dead end.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

You guys were experimenting with Teeg like.. a month ago? Why not experiment with *the eensiest* black or red splash and nail them with Persecution after Persecution (or E.Plague.) You could also do the same with a red splash for Sudden Demise, which also happens to cover Storm's main out to D&T (gobbos.)

That said, they can't easily sage if you use Cage, which is the natural enemy of their win cons. I think Cage/Teeg are solid if you can deal with other things. Also, consider that you used to run Aven Mindcensor which is actually quite reasonable against elves.

Maybe it's time to drop Avengers to Avens and/or splash red for easy hate. What's more, it's CA and it's reasonable against a variety of fair decks (particularly black attrition decks.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, you could try Magus of the Moat (was that was Dave Shiels that ran it), but you can't Tutor for it. I mean, literally everything you can tutor for will get killed by Sage, so I think that might be a dead end.
    I tried the magus and hated it. You can't bring it in in other matchups because it's so fragile against everyone else, and it's not tutorable, so it costs a sb slot for a single card you have to naturally draw that comes in for one matchup (and also I lost the first game I cast it because he just decayed my flier and DRSed me out before I could find another).

To be fair, I do actually have a tutor target in my sb that's solid against elves and doesn't get hit by sage (humility), so it doesn't get literally everything. Also, if there were something like eplague that I could tutor for, I wouldn't mind it getting hit by sage. Ratchet bomb doesn't count because sage stops it from going off. I just want something less terrible than holy light.

Edit: how terrible is EE as just elves hate? You can also kill goblins/angels/monks with it if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    You guys were experimenting with Teeg like.. a month ago? Why not experiment with *the eensiest* black or red splash and nail them with Persecution after Persecution (or E.Plague.) You could also do the same with a red splash for Sudden Demise, which also happens to cover Storm's main out to D&T (gobbos.)

That said, they can't easily sage if you use Cage, which is the natural enemy of their win cons. I think Cage/Teeg are solid if you can deal with other things. Also, consider that you used to run Aven Mindcensor which is actually quite reasonable against elves.

Maybe it's time to drop Avengers to Avens and/or splash red for easy hate. What's more, it's CA and it's reasonable against a variety of fair decks (particularly black attrition decks.)
    How is storm's main out to D&T goblins? Empty the Warrens is absolutely horrible against D&T and ANT will never side it in against a stoneforge creature deck like ours. Sounds like you're just trying to sell Sudden Demise, which is completely unreasonable since it's really bad in D&T. And Zealous Persecution is just better in every way. Anyways, splashing is not a good idea, and is very tough for a Rishadan Port deck. I would just recommend playing Deadguy Ale if you like powerful and hateful sideboard cards and feel they are necessary.

Bahra, I have a question for you: do you feel that the full playset of Revokers is indispensable? Reading about your sideboarding strategies, you seem to be siding them out a lot, even against decks where they have reasonable targets, like Jund, Shardless, and Lands (and I can see the reasoning behind that, with them being vanilla 2/1s and all). Couple that with the fact that they are mostly dead cards against popular decks like RUG, Omni-Tell, UR, etc., and not that exciting against Stoneblade variants either, I wonder whether playing 4 is really warranted. Sure, they are great against Miracles, Sneak and Show, and the mirror, plus some fringe stuff like Painter or MUD, and decent against Storm and Elves, but from the look of things, you're still expecting to side at least a few of them out more often than not... Is the 4-of really warranted here?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

How is storm's main out to D&T goblins? Empty the Warrens is absolutely horrible against D&T and ANT will never side it in against a stoneforge creature deck like ours.
    SFM MUs are fine to go Gobs as long as you do it early enough. I would wager you'd see Lemnear and Bryant talking about it in the TES thread. I mean this only for T1/T2 EtW and only with 10+/14+, and I typically think of storm as TES since they're more dangerous. You're correct that ANT won't side it in, but ANT is almost a turn slower by comparison and can't pull early Gobbos reliably enough anyway; TES still typically runs EtW main and it's not like the decks can't just wish for it T1 anyway.

If they have a guaranteed win (10+ gobbos T1 on the play, 14+ T1 on the draw or T2 on the play) there is no reason to risk losing by Massacre->ToA late-game when they can just watch you die. Besides, why are you harping about storm? It's a strawman here.

Anyways, splashing is not a good idea, and is very tough for a Rishadan Port deck. I would just recommend playing Deadguy Ale if you like powerful and hateful sideboard cards and feel they are necessary.
    I don't really care if you, singular, dislike the splash. The boards were clamoring with people splashing Teeg not even a month ago, which means they found a low-risk acceptable splash. If those people were fine with said splash, they should consider the same approach to Elves now that Teeg is unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    SFM MUs are fine to go Gobs as long as you do it early enough. I would wager you'd see Lemnear and Bryant talking about it in the TES thread. I mean this only for T1/T2 EtW and only with 10+/14+, and I typically think of storm as TES since they're more dangerous. You're correct that ANT won't side it in, but ANT is almost a turn slower by comparison and can't pull early Gobbos reliably enough anyway; TES still typically runs EtW main and it's not like the decks can't just wish for it T1 anyway.

If they have a guaranteed win (10+ gobbos T1 on the play, 14+ T1 on the draw or T2 on the play) there is no reason to risk losing by Massacre->ToA late-game when they can just watch you die. Besides, why are you harping about storm? It's a strawman here.

I don't really care if you, singular, dislike the splash. The boards were clamoring with people splashing Teeg not even a month ago, which means they found a low-risk acceptable splash. If those people were fine with said splash, they should consider the same approach to Elves now that Teeg is unnecessary.
    You clearly have no idea what a strawman is and you also clearly have no idea what D&T is about. I suggest playing the deck before making inane suggestions and claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Grease View Post
    Bahra, I have a question for you: do you feel that the full playset of Revokers is indispensable? Reading about your sideboarding strategies, you seem to be siding them out a lot, even against decks where they have reasonable targets, like Jund, Shardless, and Lands (and I can see the reasoning behind that, with them being vanilla 2/1s and all). Couple that with the fact that they are mostly dead cards against popular decks like RUG, Omni-Tell, UR, etc., and not that exciting against Stoneblade variants either, I wonder whether playing 4 is really warranted. Sure, they are great against Miracles, Sneak and Show, and the mirror, plus some fringe stuff like Painter or MUD, and decent against Storm and Elves, but from the look of things, you're still expecting to side at least a few of them out more often than not... Is the 4-of really warranted here?
    I disagree that revoker is "not that exciting" against jitte decks. I would also put storm in the list of decks that it's great against, as you usually get at least 2 extra turns out of it. I could imagine going to 3, but I really like having 4.

I don't consider it relevant that they're bad against delver decks that we're crushing even with awkward pikers in the main (UWR is the only delver matchup that's remotely close, and revoker is good there). The fact that it's awkward against omni is relevant, and perhaps that deck gets more popular with dig and no cruise.

I piloted Death and Taxes at a side event in San Jose this weekend and ended up 5-0, taking first place in a tournament of around 30 people. I'm going to give a little report and some final thoughts at the end. The decklist is [here](http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-12...nd-taxes-copy/).

**Round 1:** This Round was more or less a bye for me. I played an Opalesence deck that didn't fire either game one or two and the round ended in about five minutes for us. No sideboard from g1 to g2 because I never saw anything in his deck besides 2x leyline of the void and a leyline of sanctity.

**Round 2:** I played a small pox variant that unfortunately got smashed by the metagame choices I made to combat the rise of BUG.

**g1:** He had a strong play of t1 ritual into Lily on the play, but I bided my time with a t1 vial and discarded lands for the next few turns until I could vial in flickerwisp to reset lily and kill her. I stabilized around 5 life with SFM -> batterskull. with vial and the B-skull token he didn't have enough sacrifice mechanics and he scooped.

**Sides** - **Out:** 1x Mangara 1x SOTL 2x STP **In:** 2x Containment Priest 2x ET. It may seem odd to have sided in CP's and removed value creatures, but BGX has access to Golgari Charm and other -x/-x cards, and given the fact that D&T is heavily reliant on x/1's, I tried to remove that value wipe as much as possible.

**g2:** He is on the play with a significantly slower hand. He plays land go and I drop a t1 vial. He hymns me but only hits lands in my land heavy hand and my t2 is sfm -> batterskull and a mom vialed in on his end step. my t3 is double wasteland to keep him off lily mana. He misses a land drop and I put batterskull into play. He finds a tombstalker but a vial on 3 with a flickerwisp combat trick and a vialed in silverblade ends the game before he can stabilize.

**Round 3:** My first real challenge of the tournament came in the form of Painter Servant. The pilot knew what he was doing and grinded every game.

**g1:** Blindly keeping against an unknown deck I manage to keep the best hand. 2 StP 1 mom 1 thalia karakas+Plains and a revoker. After I see a t1 great furnace -> goblin welder I figure it must be Painter. I've never played against Painter servant but I know the basic combo so I swords the painter on t2 after he plays ancient city to hit 3 mana. I swords a second painter on his t3 and play revoker naming grindstone t4. With the vial I played t1 I start pulling flickerwisps and sfm and he scoops without the answer to revoker in hand.

**Sides - Out**: 3x Mirran Crusader **In:** 1 pithing needle 2 enlightened tutors. Being on the draw I feel like I should have probably utilized the RiP in hindsight because I ended up losing game 2 to some fancy graveyard play, but never having played painter I did't want to change my deck too radically.

**g2:** T1 welder+furnace. I felt like I had a very strong hand this game again with 2 STP 1 tutor and a revoker. Unfortunately I got burned by an early hand dump with his ensnaring bridge sideboard and the game turns into a 20 minute top deck affair of trying to find flickerwisp to bounce his bridge. I've got a Phyrexian Revoker on Grindstone for about 15 turns until he finally gets [Jaya](http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers...4707&type=card) and Goblin Welder out. He attempts to Weld my Revoker into my graveyard to pull out pithing needle. I am forced to attempt to give my revoker protection from blue due to the painter servant naming blue and in response he discards and blows up Revoker using Jaya and I scoop.

**Sides - Out:** 1 SOTL 1 Brimaz 1 Ghost Quarter** In:** 3 RiP. Ironically I never found the RiP in this game after realizing how easily I could win with them.

**g3:** Round went to time about 5 turns in, but thankfully I had my third very playable hand against his mull to 6. Multiple swords with an early mom/thalia/sfm -> batterskull help me finish the game on turn 4 after went to time.

**Round 4:** This was the matchup I had been waiting to see. The earlier pod of legacy looked to be almost 40-50% B/G/X decks and my three mirran crusaders were set to do work against them. Running into an experienced BUG player is what I expected, he won the dice roll and elected to be on the play.

**g1:** Seeing a turn 1 DRS made me giddy with Crusader+mom+vial in hand. My turn one vial led to a t2 hymn from my opponent, and continuing my trend of getting lucky from hymns two of my lands are discarded. He can't find an abrupt decay quickly enough and I land two moms and t2 and without a counter to crusader the game ends extraordinarily quickly.

**Sides - Out:** -1 SOTL -1 mangara -1 Ghost quarter -1 Thalia -1 Flickerwisp **In:** 3x RiP 2x Enlightened tutor. Perennially terrified of -x/-x abilities, I remove a few x/1's to prevent the horror of a perfectly timed plague or golgari charm.

**g2:** Game 2 starts off very poorly for me. He plays land go, I play mom which gets disfigured and then I am hymned. I get my thalia and a vial ripped which deprives me of a t2 creature and I am forced to play one of my two vials in hand. His t3 is an uncontested Lily which proves disastrous for me. On the plus boat He rips both of our hands down to nothing. I have a flickerwisp in hand that I hold back as long as I can, vialing it at the end of his turn and Killing his lily the turn before she ultimates. I begin to stabilize as his double DRS is alternately gaining him life and losing me life. I draw into a second flickerwisp but he topdecks a 7/8 goyf and I don't top deck STP to save me.

**g3:** This game is probably the best game of the tournament. Very back and forth, I get a t1 vial and an early mom+Thalia+karakas. I get an SFM+Batterskull out as well but he names human on an engineered plague blanking about a dozen cards in my deck. I lose both mom and Thalia but am I able to keep beating in with my batterskull. In my hand I have flickerwisp+mom+thalia+land. He hymns me and in response I flickerwisp targetting his engineered plague. His hymn rips thalia and the land, leaving me with MoM. He thought that I wanted him to name elemental so I could play Thalia and by hymning Thalia he named elemental killing my Flickerwisp. I had stalled on board from a TNN he played so the MoM in my hand was very necessary both to kill him and because I needed the lifegain off Batterskull to stay alive. This game went to time and I ended up killing him also on t4 of turns by having two moms out and giving my batterskull equipped with SoFaI protection from green and black to go through a goyf and TNN.

**Round 5:** For as exciting and intense as the last two rounds were, the final round was the exact opposite. I played a burn player and it was ugly.

**g1:** She wins the roll and kept a shaky hand. She had 3 lands in hand, but a vexing devil and goblin guide. unfortunately for her. the GG trigger draws me a land which draws me into an STP. after dropping me to 18 she drops me to a further 14 from Vexing Devil and 11 from a bolt. I swords the guide and my turn 2 is SFM into batterskull. Her t3 is a wash, she draws into lands and only has one burn left. She plays Eidolon of the Great Revel but its too late at this point and she scoops to batterskull lifegain.

**Sides - Out:** 3 mirran crusader 1 SOTL **In:** 1 COP:R 1 Absolute Law 2 Tutor. Fairly obvious choices for sides. 3 mana is too slow and SOTL is useless in this Matchup.

**g2:** Unfortunately a wash. She mulls two no land hands then a 5 land hand. I have Absolute law in hand and I tutor for COPR and she scoops quickly.

Final score 5-0-0

Final Thoughts. At a larger tournament I think I would play more Rishadan Ports and less Ghost Quarters, but Ghost Quarter is so unbelievably strong against the greedy land base meta with Jeskai Delver, Stoneblade, Deathblade, and the resurgence of all things BUG. Mirran Crusader is never a bad card. It ranges from okay to game winning. I think I'll drop down to two but they are so back breaking against rock its hard to imagine not playing it in multiples.

Thread Information