Page 389 of 533 FirstFirst ... 289339379385386387388389390391392393399439489 ... LastLast
Results 7,761 to 7,780 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

I've used Chalice as a tutor target before. It was okay, but it feels better in decks with SOL lands.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Played against the Enevoldsen-List yesterday with "Thalia Stompy" and won 2:1 - he won game 1 thanks to a fast tomb and jailer, but overall he told me that he disliked the build - our other games clearly showed, that without the random Tombs the deck is really clunky and Thalia Stompy does the same thing way superior if you want to ramp into high cc stuff to gain early advantage.

As we already discussed: cards like Thalia HC are quite good if played turn 1-2, if you followed this path you will also like to drop something like thalia or stoneforge turn 1, heck even chalice sounds good. Porting around might be one of the nice things for DnT, but if you already test tombs, you can replace the colorless ports with eldrazi temple and play some hard hitters that don't need equipment to be a threat.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by autonom View Post
    Have any of you considered using good old Chalice of the Void in the sideboard. I'm thinking it would be very nice against Elves and burn specifically and also miracles, all combo decks and maybe against loam decks on 2.
    Don't Prelate (loam, burn, elves, miracles, combo) and Canonist (burn, elves, miracles, combo) do these jobs better, while simultaneously being tutorable and protectable with equipment and Mom?
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

So I'm wondering what the correct way to board vs. the mirror is, as well as against Shardless and Miracles. Since BR Reanimator has dropped off (at least regionally), I've dropped both moxen from the 75, strictly stock now.

My list and board:

4x Mom
    4x TGT
    3x Revoker
    4x SFM
    1x Mangara
    1x Sanctum Prelate
    2x Mirran Crusader
    3x Recruiter
    4x Flickerwisp

1x SoFI
    1x Jitte
    1x SoWP
    4x StP
    4x Vial

4x Wasteland
    4x Port
    3x Karakas
    2x Cavern
    1x Canopy
    9x Plains

Board
    2x Canonist
    2x Containment Priest
    1x Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1x Fiendslayer Paladin
    1x Prelate
    2x PtE
    2x RIP
    2x CJ
    1x Batterskull

The only thing I prefer to the way I have it is maybe a Manriki for a mirror breaker or a single Gideon, or possibly a Cataclysm.

Unsure as I rarely play the DnT mirror and feel like it will be tough. When I have played it, it felt weird as hell. Words of wisdom?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Don't Prelate (loam, burn, elves, miracles, combo) and Canonist (burn, elves, miracles, combo) do these jobs better, while simultaneously being tutorable and protectable with equipment and Mom?
    I dont know if chalice is worth playing. I think in general, the strength of each card disregarding tutors ans sol lands is:

vs burn Chalice > Canonist > Prelate as they have few answers to chalice and chalice stops goblin guide, swiftspear and lavamancer

vs elves Chalice > Canonist > Prelate as Chalice stops almosr all their creatures

vs miracles Chalice > Prelate as they have fewer outs to Chalice and they wont ever 2-for-1 Chalice (terminus)

vs combo in general Canonist > Prelate > Chalice as having a body to attack with is very important

I would board in chalice in all those matchups if I had it in my sideboard

Quote Originally Posted by autonom View Post
    I dont know if chalice is worth playing. I think in general, the strength of each card disregarding tutors ans sol lands is:

vs burn Chalice > Canonist > Prelate as they have few answers to chalice and chalice stops goblin guide, swiftspear and lavamancer

vs elves Chalice > Canonist > Prelate as Chalice stops almosr all their creatures

vs miracles Chalice > Prelate as they have fewer outs to Chalice and they wont ever 2-for-1 Chalice (terminus)
    First, as iatee has often pointed out, if you want to shore up the burn matchup, you should play Aegis of Honor. Savage tech. Also, doesn't turn off your own lifegain spell, which is nice. I use Sword of War and Peace, Batterskull, and a Fiendslayer Paladin. Honestly, even CoP: Red is, imo, better than chalice here.

Second, elves is such a bad matchup that I don't care to try to shore it up. Honestly, that's how bad it has been for me. I'm just glad I never see it in my local meta.

Lastly, vs. Miracles, Prelate is one of my two plans of beating them. It's strong and pairs well with Recruiter plus Flickerwisp, which is the other half of the way to win. You get Sword of War and Peace on the field, resolve Prelate on 6 and equip. If mom is on the field, even Jace can't save them. If they play a Council's Judgment, it's their only out.

Having said all those wonderful things about SoWP, I can't help but be a bit curious as to how Sword of Light and Shadow would do. It's still protection from StP, but also from Push and Angler, still gains life but also can get back a critter, which often in this deck is like drawing a card. Anyone have any previous experience with this?

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Unsure as I rarely play the DnT mirror and feel like it will be tough. When I have played it, it felt weird as hell. Words of wisdom?
    k
    With your list:

-4 Thalia -1 Prelate
    +Batterskull, 2 CJ, 2 PtE

4 equip is a bit awkward but still fine and better than the other stuff.

The mirror is super unfun, it pretty much goes in one of two directions:

a. Somebody gets Jitte online quickly and runs over the other guy. (You should aim to be this guy.)
    b. That doesn't happen, a million Revokers and Moms and Ports create some deadlock and the game goes 30 turns before someone draws the right pieces to get out of it.

Truthfully, I think if both players are very good there's not that much room for outplaying your opponent and you just have to draw better and be the dude with Aether Vial, more STPs, more sideboard cards. Most DnT players aren't very good however, so you just beat them because you Karakas the Thalia they left in their deck g2, they inexplicably don't Port you, and then they draw another Thalia.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    With your list:

-4 Thalia -1 Prelate
    +Batterskull, 2 CJ, 2 PtE

4 equip is a bit awkward but still fine and better than the other stuff.

The mirror is super unfun, it pretty much goes in one of two directions:

a. Somebody gets Jitte online quickly and runs over the other guy. (You should aim to be this guy.)
    b. That doesn't happen, a million Revokers and Moms and Ports create some deadlock and the game goes 30 turns before someone draws the right pieces to get out of it.

Truthfully, I think if both players are very good there's not that much room for outplaying your opponent and you just have to draw better and be the dude with Aether Vial, more STPs, more sideboard cards. Most DnT players aren't very good however, so you just beat them because you Karakas the Thalia they left in their deck g2, they inexplicably don't Port you, and then they draw another Thalia.
    But dude she has first strike. Everyone knows how good that is in combat right? /s

@Secretly.A.Bee

Here's the link to my matchups page. I talk about sideboarding for all of them towards the end of each page.

Thoughts on SoLaS:

"This is a card that I like in theory, but I’ve disliked in practice. The protection from white is relevant, as is the ability to recur creatures. The issue is that actually getting creatures back doesn’t happen. In many of the grindy matchups where this card would be good, the removal of choice is Swords to Plowshares and/or you are boarding in Rest in Peace. That means that in practice, this sword’s trigger is only gaining you three life."

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben's only real compensation after board in the mirror is bouncing her with Karakas in the face of a ground creature with an equipped Jitte.

Totally did that in the mirror when I was inexperienced and won a game because he couldnt draw an Avenger or Wisp to save his life and my Revoker was on Mom.

With the inclusion of Recruiters nobody should ever keep Thalia, Guardian of Thraben post-board in the mirror.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by gh0st_b1rd View Post
    Thalia, Guardian of Thraben's only real compensation after board in the mirror is bouncing her with Karakas in the face of a ground creature with an equipped Jitte.

Totally did that in the mirror when I was inexperienced and won a game because he couldnt draw an Avenger or Wisp to save his life and my Revoker was on Mom.

With the inclusion of Recruiters nobody should ever keep Thalia, Guardian of Thraben post-board in the mirror.
    That's an upside, but it's also extremely likely your opponent bounces her with their own Karakas and you can't block at all. Chances are you are both running 3x Karakas.

The D&T mirror is one of the most stressful mirrors I've ever played in Legacy. Shutting down their stuff usually shuts down your own, too. It's non-stop topdeck mode.

I actually really enjoy playing the mirror. It might be a tactile thing. I love board stalls where both out assets have dumbed down to being for the most part, blank cards.

Also if you want to beat the mirror, chances are the 2nd color splashes alone will win the mirror match for you. Pontiff and Cunning Sparkmage are both very powerful.

I went 7-2 in the Legacy Eternal Weekend in Parijs and ended up 30th.
    Lost to Storm and UR delver

Last minut i changed a 2th crusader for a 2th Thalia HC thanks to a friend of mine
    I was verry pleased with this change, Thalia HC does allot of work in other matchups where crusader is only a beater.

This is the deck i piloted.

Maindeck
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Horizon Canopy
    3 Karakas
    9 Plains
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

4 Flickerwisp
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Thalia, HC
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Serra Avenger
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Mirran crusader

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Sanctum prelate
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Sword of war and piece
    2 Cataclysm
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Path to exile
    1 Blessed alliance
    1 pithing needle
    1 Faerie Macabre

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Hello everyone, Goblins player here. I recently wrote an article about playing with Aether Vial, and thought it might be of interest to you too.
    Let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it!

Playing with Aether Vial

Current list is pretty standard (all the usual stuff and then 2 recruiters, 1 prelate, 2 avengers, 2 crusaders... also using SoWaP in main over BSkull)

Sideboard:

2 Path to Exile
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Council's Judgement
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sanctum Prelate

True-Name BUG has been picking up popularity in my local meta... Lost in the final round of a 5-round Legacy FNM on friday to such deck.... the guy coudlnt' find Dread of Nights so he ran Massacres instead... seemed real bad given his deck full of x/1's and x/2's, but it worked out for him.

Anyways. Here's how I've been siding.

+2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    +2 Council's Judgement
    +1 Batterskull

-1 Mother of Runes
    -2 Swords to Plowshares
    -1 Sanctum Prelate
    -1 Sword of War and Peace

My thought process is:
    - Gideon's modes are all good vs. a dread to night or rebuilding after a deluge; he also can't be abrupt decay'd
    - CJudgement is my only answer to TNN
    - BSkull is an improvement over the useless SoWaP and is a threat that's strong against aforementioned Dread of Night and can help race TNNs

- Mom doesn't save my creatures from dread of nights or massacres or deluges.. and doesn't help block TNN anyways.
    - STP can hit the mana dorks, but doesn't interact with TNN, and draws them a card with Leovold
    - Prelate... the have so many varied mana costs and just a ton of creatures anyways
    - SoWAP: pretty much a dead card.

Opinions on this general sideboarding strategy?

Different on play/draw? I feel like I'd almost ALMOST rather have some of the Plows back on the draw to be able to disrupt a turn1 mana dork. (whereas when I'm on the play I should be able to play a revoker or thalia before they get to untap with potentially 3 mana).

Jun 2015
    NYC

Assuming they're playing a Reid Duke style list, I like taking out Thalias. Opponent's playing mana acceleration, you're not and you're now trying to cast Council's Judgment and Gideon.

Unban Survival of the Fittest Activist
    Oct 2016
    Netherlands

vs BUG I tend to keep all my STP's and add Path to Exile's if I have them in my SB. [Most lists I run into don't play basics so PtE is better then STP in those matches.]

My reasoning is this: BUG players tend to deploy a single threath and then try to protect it with spells. Thus if you remove their beater early on [Delver or Goyf] it buys you time as they will try to cantrip into another threath.

TNN is a problem, but as long as there's no equipment on it you can opt to race it with Serra Avengers. Any creature of yours with a sword should equal the race.

I also board in RIP's vs BUG [no enlightened tutors if I tend to run them SB as im not that dedicated to get the card, but if it comes along thats fine.] It keeps their biggest beater in check [Goyf] and turns off their DRS. Gurmag Angler is also a card they tend to play in my shop, so keeping their GY clean has its merits. [RIP can easily replace a Revoker in your deck as their goal is more or less the same]

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    Assuming they're playing a Reid Duke style list, I like taking out Thalias. Opponent's playing mana acceleration, you're not and you're now trying to cast Council's Judgment and Gideon.
    Thalia out with Gideon in hand did come up; this is an excellent point.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

I would keep SoWaP in against BUG. Doesn't offer protection, but the lifegain (and additional drain) can help you race, or at the very least keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    I would keep SoWaP in against BUG. Doesn't offer protection, but the lifegain (and additional drain) can help you race, or at the very least keep up.
    Agreed. It's my belief that any equipment on a Mirran Crusader in a bug matchup is the best way to go. Try to make them want to use a Decay or two first if you can, and win asap.

Thread Information