Page 479 of 533 FirstFirst ... 379429469475476477478479480481482483489529 ... LastLast
Results 9,561 to 9,580 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    WW D&T vs Grixis Delver- 17-3
    WW D&T vs Czech Pile- 7-5

RW D&T vs Grixis Delver 19-16
    RW D&T vs Czech Pile- 16-6

I've been saying this for quite some time, but the issue is that it's hard to find a build that pounds on both Grixis Delver and Czech Pile. Beating either one of those decks is cake, but by hedging to beat one, you tend to push the matchup percentage against the other too close to 50%.
    Medea what is your opinión about shalai?
    Last edited by fluuu; 04-28-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Just got done judging the Maryland History Day Fair (I had individual web sites for middle-school students aka 11-14 year old students for our Non-US members) and now I can focus on testing for Legacy.

@Medea_
    Haven't had a chance to finish watching the WW Shalai build, how did that go against Lands (if you played it) and 4c Pile?

Do you have any idea what happens if you drop Revoker for SotL or Mirran Crusader? Are there decks where you think you just lose if you do that?

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

At least the mirror (against lists that did not implement that change) is going to clobber you if you go that route.

Shalai is gas. The sample size is still small, but it seems like a card that has real staying power in the deck. This is not just me getting excited about trying a new card. It does some really absurd things that are not immediately apparent. Most recently, I stared down a RW Painter player while they had Painter and Grindstone in play; spoilers, they flopped around and died. I also totally bricked a Tezzeret ultimate and survived for about 20 turns against UBR Tezz; if they didn't have a random Hazoret in the deck, they would have had no way to beat me. A Grixis Delver opponent recently conceded to me when I stuck the bugger and put a SoFaI on it...the fun part is that they had a TNN and a Young Pyromancer in play.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

No news regarding the archetype, but I finally traded in a few cards I didn't need and picked up a set of Ports. Glad to join the club.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    No news regarding the archetype, but I finally traded in a few cards I didn't need and picked up a set of Ports. Glad to join the club.
    Congrats and welcome! If you haven't checked it out already, check out Thraben University (linked in my signature) for a ton of useful information about the archetype.

Congrats and welcome! If you haven't checked it out already, check out Thraben University (linked in my signature) for a ton of useful information about the archetype.
    Thought you said you were going to be streaming a lot more than normal.....non sense last Wed. Doesn't seem to be the case haha.....need more streams of big daddy....or should i said mommy....Shalai

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Has anyone of you given Scavenger Grounds some thought (or even testing) yet? Seems like an interesting utility land in the current metagame, where certain people even tried main-decking Rest in Peace and Relic of Progenitus ;)

Shalai Pass? You Shalnot Pass!

@colo
    Do you have room for more colorless sources? I don't.

@everyone
    Jonathon Job running some good Wr DnT back. I think his team made Top 8.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Regarding Scavenger Grounds:

Quote Originally Posted by redtwister View Post
    @colo
    Do you have room for more colorless sources? I don't.
    The list I'm working on may have it :) But I think a point can be made that in the current format, Wasteland isn't as untouchable in its function as a surefire way to deny resources as it once was due to Deathrite Shaman, so a 3-1 split between the two might be worth trying. The added utitility against Lands, Reanimator, and anything packing Delve spells could also be worth the change.

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    Regarding Scavenger Grounds:

The list I'm working on may have it :) But I think a point can be made that in the current format, Wasteland isn't as untouchable in its function as a surefire way to deny resources as it once was due to Deathrite Shaman, so a 3-1 split between the two might be worth trying. The added utitility against Lands, Reanimator, and anything packing Delve spells could also be worth the change.
    I was considering it in place of Ports, if only for what Wasteland does in the face of Dark Depths. Port is nigh-useless against active Deathrites, and only marginally useful against other decks.

Quote Originally Posted by _WD40_ View Post
    Thought you said you were going to be streaming a lot more than normal.....non sense last Wed. Doesn't seem to be the case

*looks at Twitch history and sees ~30 hours of streaming in a one week span*

i just want to point out that Wr DnT was on the winning team in Atlanta (Congrats, Jonathon Job!) and WW DnT (not a particularly optimal build for this meta, with Jailer and Prelate main) was on the 9th place team (Congrats, James Miller!), and I believe only 2 DnT players made Day 2 at all out of 28 decks. Not a bad showing for our percentage of the Day 2.

Storm, Turbo Lands, Mono-R Prison and 3 Grixis Delver were 6 of the top 8, and those decks, except Grixis D of course, are all roughly the same amount of he meta as DnT.

Quote Originally Posted by redtwister View Post
    i just want to point out that Wr DnT was on the winning team in Atlanta (Congrats, Jonathon Job!) and WW DnT (not a particularly optimal build for this meta, with Jailer and Prelate main) was on the 9th place team (Congrats, James Miller!), and I believe only 2 DnT players made Day 2 at all out of 28 decks. Not a bad showing for our percentage of the Day 2.

Storm, Turbo Lands, Mono-R Prison and 3 Grixis Delver were 6 of the top 8, and those decks, except Grixis D of course, are all roughly the same amount of he meta as DnT.
    RW D&T and WW were listed separately, so there were actually 2 RW and 2 WW decks in day 2. There was also an almost WW build in the top 8 of the classic.

Shalai is gas. The sample size is still small, but it seems like a card that has real staying power in the deck. This is not just me getting excited about trying a new card. It does some really absurd things that are not immediately apparent. Most recently, I stared down a RW Painter player while they had Painter and Grindstone in play; spoilers, they flopped around and died. I also totally bricked a Tezzeret ultimate and survived for about 20 turns against UBR Tezz; if they didn't have a random Hazoret in the deck, they would have had no way to beat me. A Grixis Delver opponent recently conceded to me when I stuck the bugger and put a SoFaI on it...the fun part is that they had a TNN and a Young Pyromancer in play.
    I can't deny what you're saying, and I haven't tried the card, but it didn't even look like a candidate to me :

- costs 4 : D&T is a mana hungry deck, it would be our most mana-intensive/slowest threat (barring Batterskull which is basically never actually cast), and you never want to tick a Vial up to 4. It feels borderline uncastable to me.
    - can't be tutored for. Since I don't see how it could be more than a one-of (see above), that seems quite problematic.
    - giving yourself hexproof is nice in a vacuum, but it will happen so unreliably/late in the game (see both points above) it feels like it will very rarely matter (sure, sometimes it will be be useful, but it will be both rare and unreliable).
    - giving other creatures you control hexproof is nice... if you already have a threat out and no mom to protect it.

Once again, I haven't played with the card, but at face value, it does feel like you can't rely on it as more than an overcosted Serra Avenger, which I'd much rather play and actually have much less trouble finding a spot for.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I just got my Rishadan Ports and want to try something out soon, really like the RW taxes list that Medea has been streaming and the BW taxes list that local Legacy hero Egget played online. There is much experimenting being done and it's fun to watch. I just wanted to say that Shalai seems great, maybe it has some disadvantages but overall the skepticism reminds me of how both Deathrite Shaman and Leovold were exceedingly questioned when they were released. This doesn't mean it will necessarily be a smash hit, but just to give the skepticism that inevitably meets all innovation some perspective.

Edit: most useless post of the year, whatever.

Edit 2: for some actual content, here you'll find the winning team's Wr Taxes decklist from SCG Baltimore: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/120429

*looks at Twitch history and sees ~30 hours of streaming in a one week span*
    *Inserts Foot in Mouth*

Anyone ever try the 2x Mindbreak Trap in the board like Jonathan Jobs in Atlanta? I'm interested in hearing what you found.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Anyone ever try the 2x Mindbreak Trap in the board like Jonathan Jobs in Atlanta? I'm interested in hearing what you found.

There's a recent infestation of Belcher at my LGS, so I think I'll need to work at least 3 into the sideboard. Planning on using Medea's WW Shalai version as a base.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post

I've found that it's powerful, but generally too narrow to deserve slots. There are some deckbuilding decisions that can make you want it though, such as removing cards from the maindeck that are good against combo.

Thread Information