Thread: [Card] Vigor

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

[Card] Vigor

Heat 6/6

Creature - Elemental Incarnation

Trample

Whenever damage would be dealt to another creature you control, prevent it. Put a +1/+1 counter on Heat for each damage prevented in this way.
    When Heat would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Heat, then shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

Wow this looks like it might see some play. Anyone see it fitting in any where?

Re: [Card] Heat

I don't like it.

It cost six, green can do better then that for six. It's only a little recurable, not as good as Gigapede, but better then nothing.

{EDIT: Upon second revew, it does make all of your other creatures alot harder to kill, and gets stronger from it. I wish it costed less so it would work in a Pyroclasm aggro deck.

I do kind of like it. EDIT OVER}

"Heat?" That doesn't seem very descriptive, especially when compared to Chill. Unless heat is used in a different way.

You know what I'm talking about.

Awesome card, but six mana just won't cut it in the eternal formats. I prefer Gigapede, myself. If "Heat" did something from the grave, though, it would be a different story. I suppose that the Incarnation cycle will all be shuffling themselves back in, eh? Something interesting could come of that, certainly. At the very least, Brain Freeze won't kill you.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Its casting cost is extremely prohibitive. You could power it out with Elves, but in a metagame where most decks have Pyroclasm or Engineered Explosives or Engineered Plague to answer Goblins that seems like a losing proposition. You could run it in a control shell, except what control shell in existence can reliably support in the casting cost, and besides that, how good is it in a deck without a lot of other creatures? You could reanimate it, but if you're doing that, why wouldn't you just reanimate a creature that will win you the game? Also, the damage immunity would seem pretty solid, and its pump ability would be awesome in conjunction with a card like Pyroclasm. The problem is that Swords to Plowshares completely negates its effect. I'm pretty sure it's unplayable in Legacy.

Eremobates inyoanus
    Sep 2006
    Corvallis, OR

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA
    You could run it in a control shell, except what control shell in existence can reliably support GGG in the casting cost, and besides that, how good is it in a deck without a lot of other creatures?
    Well, that sounds like survival to me. But that said, I agree that there are plenty of better creatures for far less mana. would anyone care to power it out with natural order?

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA View Post
    Its casting cost <snip> is unplayable in Legacy.
    Shortened for accuracy.

Survival doesn't run Silvos and it won't run Heat/Passion/whatever. And no other deck will attempt something with that cost that can't be cheated into play.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Sacearuse View Post
    Wow this looks like it might see some play. Anyone see it fitting in any where?
    Lorwyn limited.

Also, why the Monica Belluci's panties is an elemental called "Heat" not red?

Aug 2006
    Omaha

The card's name is Vigor, not Heat, according to new information

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

Its casting cost is extremely prohibitive.
    What about Natural Order in some sort of Secret Force type build.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

You could reanimate it...
    How? The replacement effect makes this impossible, or am I missing something?

Yeah you have to stifle the ability thene you could reanimate it!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

You could cast Necromancy in response to the trigger...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    You could cast Necromancy in response to the trigger...
    That word "instead" in the rules text assures that this card will never be put into the graveyard.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by nupert View Post
    That word "instead" in the rules text assures that this card will never be put into the graveyard.
    Actually, the word "When" assures you will have the ability to respond.

Look at the difference in wording between this and Darksteel Colossus, for more clarity:

Colossus:
    If Darksteel Colossus would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Darksteel Colossus and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

Heat:
    When Heat would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Heat, then shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

Note how one starts with IF (replacement effect), and the other starts with WHEN (Triggered ability).

EDIT - Actually, that wording is a clusterfuck. It's templated as a cross between a replacement and a trigger. I have no idea how it will work.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

I can only assume the fact that it says "reveal" means that it's not going to hit the graveyard, in addition to it saying "would". So I am under the assumption this is how they do the avatar/colossus ability from the library/hand/play zones now, wording wise.

I just hope this isn't the case. The card is way too busted in the other formats, especially following Tarmogay.

Its being called "Vigor" now.

I can't help but wonder what the art would have been if the name truely was "Heat".

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
    Its being called "Vigor" now.

I can't help but wonder what the art would have been if the name truely was "Heat".
    Probably a photo of Robert DeNiro Looking bad ass

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    Probably a photo of Robert DeNiro Looking bad ass
    Or two dogs banging it out.

Re: [Card] Vigor

The wording is translation. If it is not a replacement I can't imagine how it would be templated. Count on the WHENEVER turning into IF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo
    Writing Skills

...use coherent grammar and sentence structure; and spell your words correctly. Simple enough.

Re: [Card] Vigor

It might work in a B/G deck running very fast mana and a lot of disruption. Of course that works against the protecting other critters theme since there wouldn't be a lot of other critters in that kind of shell.

Thread Information