Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Terrageddon.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

[Deck] Terrageddon.

Ok so this deck can be construed as a Loam Aggro deck but I couldn't find the thread for it so I'm starting this one. The object is to attack your opponents manabase (wasteland/armageddon) while playing cheap efficient creatures and attacking their lifepoints as well (tarmogoyf/terravore/vinelasher kudzu etc...). The deck's two main colors are green/white but splashing blue/red/black is reasonable. Here's some of the splash cards to think about.

Blue:
    Brainstorm/ponder/serum visions(with the amount of fetches this guy is great at sculpting your hand)
    Stifle (hitting fetches and great against combo)
    Force of Will (only good if you play at least 17+ blue, most of the time you wont in this deck so not so good here)
    and maybe daze?

Black
    Duress/therapy (therapy depends on the amount of creatures)
    Confidant (card draw ftw?)
    E. Plague (in the board for goblins)

Red
    L.Bolt (this is a maybe but I think STP is a bit better here. more removal could be fine though)
    Pyroclasm (board card, most of the time your guys will have more than 2 toughness so it's usually a one sided wrath.

So here's the w/g version that I've come up with in my head(i haven't actually tested this so just be warned!)

Mana: 27
    4 Windsweapt Heath
    4 Green Fetches
    3 Wasteland
    4 Savanah
    3 Temple Garden
    3 Flagstones
    2 Nantuko Monastery
    4 Mox Diamond

Creatures: 17
    4 Vinelasher Kudzu
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Terravore
    3 Eternal Witness
    2 Exalted Angel

Utility: 8
    4 Sylvan library
    4 Life from the Loam

Disruption: 8
    4 StP
    4 Armageddon

Example sideboard: 15
    4 Orims Chant
    4 Engineered Explosives
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Krosan Grip

I've never tested but this looks like a list I'd start off with. Here's some of the card reasonings:

Mana:
    Temple Garden over basics: You want access to both colors, and since your clock is fast you don't have to worry too much about the pain if need be.

Mox Diamond: after an armageddon resolves you don't have to worry because you'll have mana! Also helps get a turn 1 goyf/kudzu/library which is great too.

Flagstones: Same reasoning, after a geddon he gets you a dual which helps you re-establish mana along with chrome mox, and +1 power on kudzu.

Monastery: A beater that can come back and has first strike, as well as feeding terravore in the gy. You'll usually have threshold so this guy is great.

Beaters:
    Goyf: Duh...

Terravore: With the amount of lands in gy's he should be big, and he tramples!

Kudzu: With the 8 fetches, 3 flagstones this guy will get big, fast. He's similar to quirion dryad in grow. A bit smaller but can get just as big.

Witness: Gets a card you need back from the gy, more geddons/wastes/mana/dead beaters. Great synergy with the deck.

Exalted Angel: Might actually be a bit slow, but with the mana boosts (mox diamond) and the crippling effect your geddons will have you should slow the game down enough to play her and recoup some life you may have lost.

Utility:
    Sylvan Library: A brainstorm every turn, and lets you have your draw and you can bring back a loam as well.

Life From the Loam: brings back lands you want after a geddon and also feeds goyf/terravore/kudzu(bringing a fetch back etc..)

Disruption:
    Stp: nuff said

Armageddon: You should know by now this guy helps feed your beaters and can be a one-sided with flagstone recursion.

G/W cards to think about:
    Confinement: People add this card but I'm not sure why, you don't get to get loam back because you're skipping your draw...

Jotun Grunt: With the amount of cards going to your gy you can recycle your lands/creatures. Anti-synergistic with goyf/terravore though.

Watchwolf: You already have enough creatures that cost two, I think he's sub-par.

Wrath: in the board, I guess he's good against aggro infested meta's.

Gaddock Teeg:
    Legendary Creature - Kithkin Advisor
    Noncreature spells with converted mana cost 4 or greater can't be played.
    Noncreature spells with X in their mana costs can't be played.
    2/2

This guy is also under consideration, he's great against combo (belcher/tes) but he stops your geddons(most likely you're siding geddons out though in that matchup.)

Overall I think the deck looks like it could be an interesting choice, and depending on the right meta it could do fairly well. I think I'll test more as it looks fairly cool and fun to play and isn't boring like threshold.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Eva Green
    Aug 2007
    tilburg, the netherlands

Re: [Deck] Terrageddon.

many people here in the netherlands play this deck and the deck even won the dutch championships.

almost in every tourney here this deck made it to the t8.the best build of the deck is with black.

heres the lists from someone who won a tourney, a weak ago with 40 people:

Land (25)
    1x volrath stronghold
    4x tranquil thicket
    4x windswept heath
    2x wooded foothills
    4x wasteland
    2x forest
    1x plains
    2x secluded steppe
    3x savannah
    2x bayou

Creatures (20)
    4x terravore
    4x tarmogoyf
    4x nimble mongoose
    2x eternal witness
    2x jotun grunt (of 1 witness/1 genesis)
    4x wild mongrel

other (15)
    3x armageddon
    4x swords to plowshares
    4x life from the loam
    4x p. deed

Side:
    4x cabal therapy
    3x orim's chant
    2x null rod
    3x krosan grip
    2x crime/punisment (ook erg goed tegen chalice en ETW)
    1x jotun grunt

i dont play this deck but i know it is a very good deck and the black splash give you p. deed instead of confinement wich works much better i think.
    team HASTE!

Confinement works with either genesis, eternal dragon, or cycling lands, not with loam by itself. Deed does seem better, but for an aggro-loam deck, I prefer an R/G base over a W/G base. W/G seems much more controllish, even if you run an aggressive creature base.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    It's a size thing. Europe has 300 million people, but only takes like 20 minutes to drive across the entire continent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgareth View Post
    That's the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
    Europe is Huge, no wonder people question Americans Geography skills

Yeha i know people dont like the question but:

Why should i play this over normal aggro loam with Burning Wish and Seismic Assauslt?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

1) Are 4 Sylvan Libraries needed? Without Children of Korlis or Words of Wilding (neither of which seems worth running), or 3x Life from the Loam to dredge, they're little more than Mirri's Guiles. It looks to me like the deck would work just as well with only three Libraries.

2) Temple Garden: Even if the pain isn't an issue (which I disagree with), you only need double-white to flip Exalted Angel, and you also have Mox Diamond as extra fixing. I would turn two of these into a basic Forest and Plains (this way, Flagstones would still have six "targets").

3) I'd comment that Orim's Chant in the SB seems pretty pointless (decidedly not enough to give you a hope against combo), but in a few weeks the deck will be packing Gaddock, so who cares.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

I've never seen an aggro loam build, I've only seen loam control builds with a couple of main deck beaters. This build seems more aggroish and plays more creatures hopefully shortening the length of the game. I've never played a loam control deck though so I don't know what I'd be looking for to make it faster either, and the games I've seen people playing loam control make it seem like the deck is boring to play.

As for the side that's not even close to being finished, just threw it out there. You're right though, the new creature guy seems amazing against the combo macthups that you'd bring chants in for.

I can see why you'd want basics too actually, I originally had the temple gardens in there because I was considering playing Krosan Verge.

You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

I guess Solitary Confinemen are useless.... which is kinda true. It doesnt help much versus combo, and against every other creature deck, your creatures already outclass theirs.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

I have been thinking a little about this new card:

Gaddock Teeg W/G
    Legendary Creature - Kithkin Advisor
    Noncreature spells with converted mana cost 4 or greater can't be played.
    Noncreature spells with {X} in their mana costs can't be played.
    So great is his wisdom and spirit that many who have met him say that they stood before a giant of a man and talked to the wisest of the four winds.
    2/2

It could help against combo, preventing card like Tendrills, EtW, Iggy, Belcher and Dread Return from being played. Of course combo can get rid of them, but it can buy you the time to smash with Goyf and Terravore. I am at least going to test it, it seems pretty solid.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

I believe there is allready a terrageddon thread in the open forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

I intro'd this deck on TMD at least a year ago, probably more than that. It is still underplayed.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    I believe there is allready a terrageddon thread in the open forum.
    Can you post the link? I couldn't seem to find it after searching for a couple of minutes.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    I intro'd this deck on TMD at least a year ago, probably more than that. It is still underplayed.
    I disagree. Armageddon is only good at this role when played in stax. If your playing Terravores and friends you need to think long and hard about why Armageddon isnt Devestating Dreams and why Confinement isnt Siesmic Assault.
    Now playing real formats.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Because Devastating dreams requires you to discard cards from your hand, that's why. Seems bad when they counter it, really really bad. White also has StP, the best removal spell for the best creature in the format. How does red deal with tarmogoyf?

Aug 2006
    Somewhere in NY

With both Tarmogoyf AND Terravore, wouldn't Goyfgeddon be a more appropriate name as their both Lhurgoyfs. Just saying.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Phoenix View Post
    With both Tarmogoyf AND Terravore, wouldn't Goyfgeddon be a more appropriate name as their both Lhurgoyfs. Just saying.
    Sure, why not.

Unearth could recur each of your creatures except Exalted Angel (which I believe to be worse than Eternal Dragon in this deck) or cycle for two if unneeded. Unearthing Eternal Witness recuring Unearth is fun, too.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Yeah, exalted angel has been unspectacular so far in the few games I've drawn him.

da'es daemar
    Sep 2007
    netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by electrolyze View Post
    many people here in the netherlands play this deck and the deck even won the dutch championships.

almost in every tourney here this deck made it to the t8.the best build of the deck is with black.

heres the lists from someone who won a tourney, a weak ago with 40 people:

Land (25)
    1x volrath stronghold
    4x tranquil thicket
    4x windswept heath
    2x wooded foothills
    4x wasteland
    2x forest
    1x plains
    2x secluded steppe
    3x savannah
    2x bayou

Creatures (20)
    4x terravore
    4x tarmogoyf
    4x nimble mongoose
    2x eternal witness
    2x jotun grunt (of 1 witness/1 genesis)
    4x wild mongrel

other (15)
    3x armageddon
    4x swords to plowshares
    4x life from the loam
    4x p. deed

Side:
    4x cabal therapy
    3x orim's chant
    2x null rod
    3x krosan grip
    2x crime/punisment (ook erg goed tegen chalice en ETW)
    1x jotun grunt

i dont play this deck but i know it is a very good deck and the black splash give you p. deed instead of confinement wich works much better i think.
    I was the person who won the tourney (and made about 5/6 t8 with it). I really like the way this deck just runs over all agro and control matches, since most decks cannot handle wasteland recursion and some heavy goyf beatdown. In the dutch metagame combo decks are very rare so high finishes are more likely.

The deck he posted is not the deck I played, just some list I used for testing. I won the tourney playing this list:

Land (25)

4x tranquil thicket
    4x windswept heath
    2x wooded foothills
    4x wasteland
    2x forest
    1x plains
    1x secluded steppe
    3x savannah
    3x bayou
    1x scrubland

Creatures (20)
    4x terravore
    4x tarmogoyf
    4x nimble mongoose
    2x eternal witness

other (15)
    3x armageddon
    4x swords to plowshares
    4x life from the loam
    4x p. deed
    3x duress

Side:
    4x cabal therapy
    3x orim's chant
    2x null rod
    2x krosan grip
    2x hailstorm
    2x engineered explosives

Usually you want to play a control role versus all decks, drop lands and getting one or two beaters in play. Versus other control decks getting ahead with life from the loam engine usually wins game since they will run out of answers fast.

Most sideboard cards (i.e. graveyard hate) can be played around. An extirpate on the life from the loams is bad, but the beatdown part is still possible. tormod's crypt can be played around quite easy (just hold a cycleland or krosan grip it). Jotun grunt can be a bit annoying, but he dies easy. Only leyline of the void is a real pain.

The current sideboard is geared towards beating combo, with both cabal therapy and orim's chant being very good against the majority of the combo decks around and null rod being MVP versus that rely on artifact mana. The grips are obviously in there for some hate against tormod's crypt (and sometimes jitte and aether vail). Hailstorm just wrecks goblins and if the opponent plays around it it's usually even better, E.E. are just deed number 5 and 6.

Cephalid breakfast is a deck that does not see much play around here (so far), but i think by adepting the sideboard a bit the match might be quite good in games 2 and 3. First cutting a mongoose and the duresses in the main in favor of cabal therapy. and second dropping null rod and hail storm or explosives for a set of black leylines.

By the way: I like the name terrageddon

Oct 2005
    Germany - NRW

The list just contains 57 Cards
    Team aYb
    Selling my Japanese Legacy Collection. PM me what you need ;)
    My mcm-account. Selling overseas

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

I have to agree with Bane here (and trust me I'm not crazy about it) but I think the Red splash (and particularly the red/black splash) is better than white splash. I have tested both and the white spash has too many dead cards for my taste. Too much forced control.

1) Geddon just too damn slow for my taste. It's casting cost makes is useless against combo, a pain in the ass to cast around Daze, and shitty against the decks that will dig into their counters before you can ever play the damn thing. And, if you actually CAN cast it, it requires an even or favorable board position (I guess you might be able to get away with a Loam in the yard and a mox out). Dreams fills geddons role AND a sweepers role. It's scalability is astounding, allowing us to wipe the opposing board while leaving a now monstrous Terravore or Gofy to beat down. As to Dreams sucking vs counters, I call BS. Anyone who has played the deck knows you never drop the thing against blue unless you're duressed, or played your relevant spells and have a loam in the yard. Basically, your discard is almost always meaningless. There are a few exceptions, but the card is just better than geddon. It's like comparing Wrath to Deed. Sure there are times when Wrath is better, but I'll take Deed in my deck 6 times a week and twice on Sunday.

2) StP. I can understand the desire to run this in the current meta, but not in this deck. The red splash has no problem at all with opposing Goyfs. Frankly, the white splash might have MORE problems with him. Red has bolt to help our blockers kill him (Witness or Confidant are card disadvantage, but Goyf plus bolt is as good as or better than Goyf plus swords). Red also gets the insane Devastating Dreams and Seismic Assault (turning our Loams into 6 damage every turn machines) to deal with almost any size creatures. And then there's always the Goyf/Goyf standoff, or simply dropping a Terravore to outclass them all. Also, the fact that Bolt is never dead cannot be underestimated. Look at the success of Red Thresh over white thresh. Aggro/Control doesn't mean you have to slow down your clock. I like the red splash because it lets me play aggro when I want, by using burn to the face, or control when I have to, by using the burn as removal. The white splash boxed me in to control mode too often by drawing StP or geddon or Sylvan Library (I hated this thing here) when I wanted to be beating face, or was already and wanted to be beating face quicker.

3) Seismic Assault. Basically turns the deck into a combo deck. When I get it out against non combo players they had better needle it or Extirpate my loam or they are done. White has this sort of element in Solitary Confinement, but once again it's too slow and vulnerable for my taste.

I haven't had a chance to test burning wish much, but I would also imagine it's a solid advantage card as well.

(I don't want this to be seen as an attack on G/W, or a statement that it should not be played or worked on. I'm just explaining what I've found in my own testing)
    I've never seen him so upset....or ever before.

Thread Information