Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paul Wall Aggro

Re: [Deck] Paul Wall Aggro

Cavius, what have you been doing for games when you either don't draw both Rolling Stones and Doran, or one of them gets countered/destroyed? How can this deck possibly survive testing in this condition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo
    Writing Skills

...use coherent grammar and sentence structure; and spell your words correctly. Simple enough.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Re: [Deck] Paul Wall Aggro

Quote Originally Posted by CleverPetriDish View Post
    Cavius, what have you been doing for games when you either don't draw both Rolling Stones and Doran, or one of them gets countered/destroyed? How can this deck possibly survive testing in this condition?
    My current build runs 4 Tarmogoyf as a backup plan. I also run Cabal Therapy to get rid of nasty counters and creature destruction spells. Redundancy is also key here. 4 Doran and 4 Rolling Stones makes it more likely that I will be able to successfully cast either one. I hope that answers your question.

Re: Paul Wall Aggro

Assault formation seems good in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    11 year necro!?!?!

That’s super impressive.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Youre right. That plus Doran plus Green Sun’s Zenith and this deck is now consistent enough to compete once again.

Tasseled Dromedary also seems great in the list (since it can attack in combination with just Doran)

They actually printed quite a few high toughness guys recently so theres no need for walls + rolling stones any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Youre right. That plus Doran plus Green Sun’s Zenith and this deck is now consistent enough to compete once again.

Tasseled Dromedary also seems great in the list (since it can attack in combination with just Doran)

They actually printed quite a few high toughness guys recently so theres no need for walls + rolling stones any more.
    Yeah definitely. I'm running a version on Tuesday but missing some cards. Arcades the strategist is a gsz target that makes the walls relevant. Plus we added a NO protean hulk package...which does crazy things in a deck with 12 0cc critters. Work in progress but roughly:

4 birds of paradise
    4 ornithopter
    4 phyrexian walker
    4 shield sphere
    1 overgrown battlement
    1 skinshifter
    1 dryad arbor
    1 sylvan safekeeper
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 arcades, the strategist
    1 protean hulk
    1 hellraiser goblin
    4 green Sun's Zenith
    3 natural order

4 cabal therapy

3 doran, the siege tower
    4 assault formation

20 land

SB:
    4 ensnaring bridge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 thoughtseize
    3 abrupt decay
    Last edited by kinda; 09-16-2018 at 06:27 AM.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think it's probably worth it to run X glimpse of nature. it's not perfect but should get you a few draws. (can function as an ancestral recall on turn 1 if you have it and 3 artifact guys, makes those hands a lot more tolerable.)
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i think it's probably worth it to run X glimpse of nature. it's not perfect but should get you a few draws. (can function as an ancestral recall on turn 1 if you have it and 3 artifact guys, makes those hands a lot more tolerable.)
    Good shout...I'll see if I can borrow some.

Winter Maze

Went 3-1 with Paul Wall Aggro tonight!! Beat sneak and show, death and taxes, and bug leovold...lost to Canadian thresh. Protean Hulk was clutch, the pile is doran/gaddock teeg/sylvan safekeeper/4 phyrexian walker/4 shield sphere/3 ornithopter. I regret not maindecking ensnaring bridge as it works great with all the 0 power dudes.

4 birds of paradise
    3 ornithopter
    4 phyrexian walker
    4 shield sphere
    2 overgrown battlement
    1 skinshifter
    1 dryad arbor
    1 sylvan safekeeper
    1 gaddock teeg
    2 protean hulk
    4 green Sun's Zenith
    3 natural order
    1 tower defense

4 cabal therapy

2 doran, the siege tower
    4 assault formation

3 forest
    1 swamp
    4 windswept heath
    3 verdant catacombs
    2 overgrown tomb
    2 temple garden
    1 bw shock
    4 ghost quarter

SB:
    2 ensnaring bridge
    1 terrastodon
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 thoughtseize
    3 abrupt decay

Winter Maze

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I think you can make some quick changes to make it more legacy playable. Congrats on your 3-1.

How was skinshifter and battlement?

Other than those, I think replacing the shock lands & ghost quarter with duals/wasteland and finding room for 1 or 2 gaea's cradle can really help power out a hulk.

Reckless fireweaver is also a card that is interesting with protean hulk. (grab 2 of it and 10 artifact guys.) not sure 100% on the ruling, but I'm pretty sure they will all enter the same time and the triggers will happen.
    -rob

I think you can make some quick changes to make it more legacy playable. Congrats on your 3-1.

How was skinshifter and battlement?

Other than those, I think replacing the shock lands & ghost quarter with duals/wasteland and finding room for 1 or 2 gaea's cradle can really help power out a hulk.

Reckless fireweaver is also a card that is interesting with protean hulk. (grab 2 of it and 10 artifact guys.) not sure 100% on the ruling, but I'm pretty sure they will all enter the same time and the triggers will happen.
    Thanks! Yeah duals/wasteland/cradle would obviously be improvements. You mentioned glimpse prior which I still think is strong too. I think you do want a gsz target which can win quickly on its own with doran or assault formation...skinshifter is a 2 mana 8/8 don't know anything better for the slot. Overgrown battlement is for the hardcast hulk or gsz->hulk plan...unsure on it tbh. The 4th natural order would be good but I've only got 3 and I definitely shaved the wrong cheerio. Birds/ornithopter attacking and getting pumped by assault formation is sweet. Phyrexian tower should be in there...and lastly I'm hesitant on red cards. Pretty confident they're worse but they are exciting. Reckless fireweaver is interesting but frenzied goblin wins now...reckless let's you get sylvan safekeeper too though. Thanks for the suggestions! Try it in your local. I had to borrow shield sphere/teeg/sylvan safekeeper so won't be running it again soon.

Winter Maze

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

having access to maindeck teeg is great. (with cradle you could turn 1 him out pretty easily too, or turn 1 doran with a more lucky hand like 4 artifacts, gradle, gsz. could you go into some more detail on your matchups?

e-bridge also seems pretty nuts.

i don't think i'd mind playing this deck, but i actually have to pick up some doran's and the wall enchantment thing!

funny enough i have everything else including the duals/cradles.

i feel like wild pair could also do some weird things with shield sphere or phyrexian walker. any initial thoughts on any broken cards that match a total of 6 for power/toughness? (3/3 or 2/4 etc)
    -rob

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Thanks! Yeah duals/wasteland/cradle would obviously be improvements.
    As always I'm happy to lend things, just message me on the Monday! Don't have Cradles, but duals, wastelands etc are fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

having access to maindeck teeg is great. (with cradle you could turn 1 him out pretty easily too, or turn 1 doran with a more lucky hand like 4 artifacts, gradle, gsz. could you go into some more detail on your matchups?

e-bridge also seems pretty nuts.

i don't think i'd mind playing this deck, but i actually have to pick up some doran's and the wall enchantment thing!

funny enough i have everything else including the duals/cradles.

i feel like wild pair could also do some weird things with shield sphere or phyrexian walker. any initial thoughts on any broken cards that match a total of 6 for power/toughness? (3/3 or 2/4 etc)
    You definitely should it's a ton of fun and surprisingly powerful. I'll do a report later.

@whitefaces: Yeah I know, thanks! Clearly paul wall aggro is so good though that shocks and ghost quarter aren't enough of a handicap . We didn't get a post hulk picture I've realised which is dissappointing...

Winter Maze

@mistercakes: short report as requested.

Round 1: sneak and skill
    G1: I put in protean hulk off show.
    G2: I put in bridge off show. Discard does work this game too.

Round 2: Canadian Thresh
    I mulled both games and winter orb was strong G2. Almost recovered with ornithopter to block his delver as I had assault formation out but it gets countered.

Round 3: Death and taxes
    G1: I get him down to two but then he gets Jitte online. I had about 5 turns to draw my 3rd land of the game to win but never did.

G2: I cabal therapy turn two and natural order turn 3 .

G3: Pumping birds with assault formation while bridge is out gets there.

Round 4 BUG Leo Control
    G1: Cabal therapy then natural order gets there.
    G2: very grindy, I end up hardcasting protean hulk.
    Last edited by kinda; 09-20-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Winter Maze

Will be trying the deck soon (couldn't get my hands on the 2nd Doran to test it this weekend)

Changes that I will make on the deck:
    +1 Natural Order (to play the full playset)
    +1 Gaea's Cradle (need to loan one before buying)
    +1 Phyrexian tower (to get another sac outlet)
    (and of course the duals and wastelands)

Now, what to cut?
    1 forest for the cradle is no problem
    Not sure if that scrubland is necessary, I prefer another Savannah or bayou (green is our most important color)
    Also, I get the wastelands, but these are 'slowing us down' maybe cutting one for the Phyrexian Tower
    So I need one more cut for that NO (and very tempted to play bridge main or crop rotation for cradle/tower or glimpse, choices choices :-))

I might be tempted to cut the tower defense, it's more a 'win more' card, or an overgrown battlement. Although I like the card (and we need green creatures/ramp to NO), we need to cut something and more cheerio cutting isn't the best play.

I think I will go for 4 Ornithopters, 3 walkers and 3 or 4 shield spheres. Shield Sphere is an awesome card, but without the assault formation, it's not that good for our main plan.

I saw that red goblin in a previous post for giving hast, be is there another option, maybe on the 2 CMC slot?

Awesome! Let us know how it goes . I don't recommend testing the deck. Just waltz into your local with all the unwarranted confidence you can muster.

All of your points seem reasonable. I like glimpse more than crop rotation I think. Wasteland is pretty much just for depths decks...so it's a meta call I'd say. It's less important if you will md bridge or crop rotation which can get Karakas.

Winter Maze

Just waltz into your local with all the unwarranted confidence you can muster.
    By testing I mean, taking it to a 30 man tournament

You perfectly described my style.

Is this new spoiler high alert better than Rolling Stones??

1UW
    Oracle Text
    Each creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.

Each creature you control with defender can attack as though it didn't have defender.

2WU: Untap target creature.

https://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com...1472631045.png

Winter Maze

I think that now with High Alert and Arcades, the Strategist this deck could shift to Bant and delve further into Wall tribal. Adding blue gives it access to cantrip goodness, counters and the mighty Wall of Denial.
    Last edited by Glass House; 04-25-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Thread Information