Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Wall Aggro

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Paul Wall Aggro

The minute Doran, The Siege Tower caught my attention a cool idea popped into my head. Rolling Stones and cost efficient high toughness walls. The whole idea is to basically get a defense up with walls, which would prevent you from losing to aggro, then play Doran and Rolling Stones on the same turn and swing an alpha strike for 20+ damage. Here's the list followed by a card analysis of every important card.

Paul Wall Aggro.DEC

Lands:18
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Bayou
    4 Scrubland
    4 Savannah

Spells:42
    4 Rolling Stones
    4 Doran, The Seige Tower
    4 Wall of Roots
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Wall of Junk
    4 Steel Wall
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Duress
    4 Night's Whisper
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Golgari Signet
    1 Selesnya Signet

Sideboard:15
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Unmask
    4 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Krosan Grip
    3 Pernicious Deed

Deck Strategy: It's pretty cut and dry. Play a bunch of walls and set up defenses versus aggro. Then when you reach a high wall count and five mana, play Doran and Rolling Stones the very same turn and swing with an alpha strike for lethal damage.

Card Analysis:

Doran - the heart of the deck. A combo part with Rolling Stones.

Rolling Stones - a combo peice. Lets your walls attack in conjuction with Doran.

Wall of Ice - I love this card in the deck. It's essentially a 7/7 for 3 mana. Go to hell Fruitcake Elemental!

Wall of Blossoms & Wall of Souls - 4/4's for two mana. One cantrips the other deals damage to players no matter what.

Wall of Swords - 5/5 flyers for 4 mana are always good.

Tainted Pact - A search card to help me get the two combo peices in play. Black Impulse basically.

Ancient Tomb, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, Golgari Signet - Mana accellerants. Pretty much necessary in combo to actually make the deck any good.

Duress - Combo Protection.

Chalice - If set at one, lets me prevent Doran from getting StPed.

Gaddock Teeg - Keeps Wrath of God and Damnation from getting rid of my precious walls. Also does alot of stuff. Like preventing me from playing Lich combo.

Pernicious Deed - Board Sweeper. Aggro killer.

That's pretty much it for card explanations. Let me know what you guys think of this deck idea. I think it's pretty damn cool to say the least and I hope the masses feel the same. Let me know what you guys think. Suggestions and comments are all welcome. Peace.

EDIT: -4 Wall of Swords, -4 Lotus Petal, +4 Shield Sphere, +4 Steel Wall.
    Last edited by Cavius The Great; 10-07-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Picture in Picture, 104 Channels
    Sep 2007

Re: [Deck] Paul Wall Aggro

What about Shield Sphere? It'll be a 6/6 for 0. That's pretty good no matter how you slice it, and the drawback isn't that bad, just in case you need to block with it for a bit.

This deck is already cool.

A wall deck? That's freaking awesome!

Question though, have you thought about using other wall-related stuff like the Glyphs?

Have you thought about using red instead of one of the other colors? It has a 0/8 wall for 3 mana. Also, maybe you should use a bunch of snow-covered lands and run Drift of the Dead. Steel Wall is also another wall you might consider.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Wall of Stone is not playable in the same deck as Doran the Siege Tower. and don't mix. Wall of Ice is the correct choice.

I think you need more walls, to slow the deck down, and to run an alternate kill if someone stops Doran, like Mirror Entity.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Banned
    Mar 2006

I've thought about other walls such as Living Wall which basically is a 6/6 for 4 mana with regenerating for 1. That ain't too shabby especially with Ancient Tombs. I bet there are a million walls that I overlooked while building this deck. Keep the ideas coming guys. Discussion leads to innovation.

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

So here is the build I came up with:

4 Doran, The Seige Tower
    4 Shield Wall
    4 Steel Wall
    4 Wall of Junk
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    3 Wall of Roots

4 Rolling Stones
    4 Duress
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Tainted Pact
    1 Animate Wall

4 Bayou
    4 Scrubland
    4 Savannah
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

I think useing the artifact walls makes a lot more sense. They will all be huge compaired to there mana cost. For those of you that don't know the walls Listed here ya go:

Shield Wall 0/6
    Steel Wall 0/4
    Wall of Junk 0/7
    Wall of Blossoms 0/4
    Wall of Roots 0/5

The walls are all cheap and so I think this build will be a lot faster.
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    I think you need more walls, to slow the deck down, and to run an alternate kill if someone stops Doran, like Mirror Entity.
    I can't find a card on gatherer named mirror entity. Is this like some crappy Anaba Grunt joke?
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Sep 2007

here's a quick list I threw together:

4 Doran
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Wall of Souls
    4 Shield Sphere
    2 Wall of Shards
    4 Wall of Junk
    4 Steel Wall

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Duress
    4 Rolling Stones

1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Savannah
    3 Bayou
    4 Scrubland
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Polluted Delta

---

Blossoms is a total auto-include, and Souls is a nice idea. Other than that, I took more of a turbo method - Shield Sphere becomes a 6/6 for 0, Wall of Junk becomes useable, and the drawback to Wall of Shards is pretty negligible.

The slots that gave me trouble were the 4 swords and 4 duress spots - I think Swords is necessary to get rid of troubled creatures, and duress is good preventative protection, but would Duress be better as some kind of Tutor to fetch up Rolling Stones and/or Doran? If anything, I'd probably cut out the Steel Walls and/or Wall of Shards to add that stuff in.

I got a pretty similar idea when I saw Doran, too - it really gets the juices flowing!

~Kirei sora no Kuraiyami~

Jun 2007

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    I can't find a card on gatherer named mirror entity. Is this like some crappy Anaba Grunt joke?
    It is one of the preview cards for the new set. So, you won't find it in the gatherer yet. It basically turns all creatures into a X/X amount depending how much you pay.

The preview of this card was on the official website this week or last week.

Banned
    Mar 2006

I really like the approach of using cheaper more efficient walls. I think that is the best alternative to making this deck competitive. Thanx for the feedback guys, keep those ideas flowing.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Why wouldn't you be playing Treefolk Harbringer to find Doran? It turns into a 3/3 for , which seems fine in your wall deck.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    No, it's a card in Lorwyn. Just look for it in the spoiler. It's white.

But strange deck idea though...
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

You probably want some tutor more reliable than Tainted Pact. Enlightened Tutor is an option; another is Shred Memory, which fetches both Rolling Stones and most of your walls. It can also combo with Eladamri's Call to fetch Doran.

Treefolk Harbinger also likely deserves a spot, as a 1-drop that can also grab Doran.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Wall of Stone is not playable in the same deck as Doran the Siege Tower. and don't mix. Wall of Ice is the correct choice.

Oh yes that is right.

The other walls could see play though. I highly suggest the use of Steel Wall.

This deck will slow down most aggro, control and aggro-control decks due to the amount of beef these walls have for their CC. All this deck has to get around is disrupting combo decks.

Sry but the deck needs an alternative win plan... I mean what does the deck do whene the doran gets sworded/countered! Same goes to the Rolling stones!

Maybe one of the Plaenswalker... (we have enogh walls to proteckt them...)
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

The red/black planswalkers seem interesting. I think the green one is too slow and by the time you get enough bears out you would have drawn anyways. Awesome idea though, I think I'll goof around with it when lorwyn comes out.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Sry but the deck needs an alternative win plan... I mean what does the deck do whene the doran gets sworded/countered! Same goes to the Rolling stones!

Chalice and Duress help that issue. But if you want to feel safer just run additional hate in the SB.

Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Why wouldn't you be playing Treefolk Harbringer to find Doran? It turns into a 3/3 for , which seems fine in your wall deck.
    I completely forgot about this. Now, what to put in to get Rolling Stones reliably..?

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post

Just randomly throw in Tarmogoyf. I think it really is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by satellites View Post
    I completely forgot about this. Now, what to put in to get Rolling Stones reliably..?
    Enlightened Tutor?

Also this deck needs some way of getting to cards it needs. Maybe add in Night Whisper or SDT?

Thread Information