Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Paul Wall Aggro

Re: Paul Wall Aggro

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    I think that now with High Alert and Arcades, the Strategist this deck could shift to Bant and delve further into Wall tribal. Adding blue gives it access to cantrip goodness, counters and the mighty Wall of Denial.
    This might work better in modern. In legacy at 4 mana I want to play natural order and win...not windmill slam a 3/5 and pass the turn. But maybe Iím wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    This might work better in modern. In legacy at 4 mana I want to play natural order and win...not windmill slam a 3/5 and pass the turn. But maybe Iím wrong?
    You're not wrong, I definitely think that it would be better in Modern. But if you "want to play natural order and win" wouldn't it still be beneficial to add blue and cantrips to increase the consistency of the combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    But if you "want to play natural order and win" wouldn't it still be beneficial to add blue and cantrips to increase the consistency of the combo?
    Shhh...
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Shhh...

Tetsuko Umezawa is a strong consideration.

Winter Maze

Arboreal grazer seems quite strong: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/w...rboreal-grazer.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

LOL Wall Aggro

//Walls: 24
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Wall of Tanglecord
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Overgrown Battlement
    4 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Wall of Denial

//Engine: 8
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Arcades, the Strategist

//Prison: 8
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

//Mana: 20
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Savannah
    1 Tundra
    1 Forest

Maybe Chalice/Sol Lands/Bridge can slow down the game enough to make Arcades relevant.

Card choices:
    Shield Sphere - 0cc 6/6, easy draws from Arcades
    Tanglecord - 6/6 for 2, castable off Tomb, blocks Delver/Pteramander for days
    Blossoms - cantrips
    Battlement - easy mana, keeps hand empty for Bridge, winsmore to chain walls after Arcades,
    Caryatid - mana fixing, hexproof
    Denial - 8/8 flying shroud for 3 seems good

Arcades - draw engine, enables walls, wins games
    GSZ - finds Arcades, important walls, or SB cards

Chalice - stops opponent from playing Legacy (casting 1-2cc spells)
    Bridge - stops opponent from playing Limited (in case he decides to turn things sideways), works well with 0-power army

Other walls to consider:
    Jungle Barrier - bigger cantrip, 1 copy at most
    Axebane Guardian - ramp and color fixing, but slow
    Wall of Junk - castable off Ancient Tomb, fat, winsmore by bouncing self to hand to draw with Arcades FTkeks
    Tree of Redemption - 1 of SB GSZ target against burn and aggro
    Assault Formation - green, 2cc (works with Chalice), cheap wall enabler, mana sink with Overgrown Battlement

I think both Chalice and Bridge are really strong here. They disrupt faster Legacy strategies and slow down the game to the point where durdly walls and Arcades might get there.

That's a green-artifact based build. Another option is UW control with Arcades and High Alert.

//Engine: 7
    4 High Alert
    3 Arcades, the Strategist

//Prison: 7
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge

//Walls: 20
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Fog Bank
    4 Wall of Omens
    4 Wall of Frost
    4 Wall of Denial

//Spells: 4
    4 Force of Will

//Mana: 22
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tundra
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    1 Island
    1 Plains

Card choices:
    Shield Sphere - 0cc 6/6
    Fog Bank - blocks things
    Omens - cantrip
    Frost - blocks Angler, Goyf and dorks for days
    Denial - TNN for wall decks
    High Alert / Arcades - enablers
    Chalice / Bridge - see above
    Force - stops broken things, protects Bridge/Arcades, high blue count
    Mox - smoother way to reach 1WU costs than Sol Lands

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    LOL Wall Aggro

//Walls: 24
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Wall of Tanglecord
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Overgrown Battlement
    4 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Wall of Denial

//Engine: 8
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Arcades, the Strategist

//Prison: 8
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

//Mana: 20
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Savannah
    1 Tundra
    1 Forest

Maybe Chalice/Sol Lands/Bridge can slow down the game enough to make Arcades relevant.

Card choices:
    Shield Sphere - 0cc 6/6, easy draws from Arcades
    Tanglecord - 6/6 for 2, castable off Tomb, blocks Delver/Pteramander for days
    Blossoms - cantrips
    Battlement - easy mana, keeps hand empty for Bridge, winsmore to chain walls after Arcades,
    Caryatid - mana fixing, hexproof
    Denial - 8/8 flying shroud for 3 seems good

Arcades - draw engine, enables walls, wins games
    GSZ - finds Arcades, important walls, or SB cards

Chalice - stops opponent from playing Legacy (casting 1-2cc spells)
    Bridge - stops opponent from playing Limited (in case he decides to turn things sideways), works well with 0-power army

Other walls to consider:
    Jungle Barrier - bigger cantrip, 1 copy at most
    Axebane Guardian - ramp and color fixing, but slow
    Wall of Junk - castable off Ancient Tomb, fat, winsmore by bouncing self to hand to draw with Arcades FTkeks
    Tree of Redemption - 1 of SB GSZ target against burn and aggro
    Assault Formation - green, 2cc (works with Chalice), cheap wall enabler, mana sink with Overgrown Battlement

I think both Chalice and Bridge are really strong here. They disrupt faster Legacy strategies and slow down the game to the point where durdly walls and Arcades might get there.

That's a green-artifact based build. Another option is UW control with Arcades and High Alert.

//Engine: 7
    4 High Alert
    3 Arcades, the Strategist

//Prison: 7
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge

//Walls: 20
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Fog Bank
    4 Wall of Omens
    4 Wall of Frost
    4 Wall of Denial

//Spells: 4
    4 Force of Will

//Mana: 22
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tundra
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    1 Island
    1 Plains

Card choices:
    Shield Sphere - 0cc 6/6
    Fog Bank - blocks things
    Omens - cantrip
    Frost - blocks Angler, Goyf and dorks for days
    Denial - TNN for wall decks
    High Alert / Arcades - enablers
    Chalice / Bridge - see above
    Force - stops broken things, protects Bridge/Arcades, high blue count
    Mox - smoother way to reach 1WU costs than Sol Lands
    Funny yes! I started building a wall aggro (defender aggro to be more accurate) when arcades was printed. I only discovered this thread now... whatís even more funny is that I completely missed high alert and built around arcades and assault formation. Iíll get back with more details and lists at a later time. For now l just wanted to comment on bridge, which i found to be redundant most of the time and moved it to the board. you have a shit load of walls and one doesnít really need bridge in fair matchups. Also i like to run both draw walls as they are the best walls out there. My initial legacy plan for defenders was an elves package as well (murdering kitchen tables with behemoth and walls is funny:) but high alert completely changes things. I have to rebrew...

Quote Originally Posted by MechTactical View Post
    Funny yes! I started building a wall aggro (defender aggro to be more accurate) when arcades was printed. I only discovered this thread now... whatís even more funny is that I completely missed high alert and built around arcades and assault formation. Iíll get back with more details and lists at a later time. For now l just wanted to comment on bridge, which i found to be redundant most of the time and moved it to the board. you have a shit load of walls and one doesnít really need bridge in fair matchups. Also i like to run both draw walls as they are the best walls out there. My initial legacy plan for defenders was an elves package as well (murdering kitchen tables with behemoth and walls is funny:) but high alert completely changes things. I have to rebrew...
    Post your list when you've got it!

Winter Maze

Thread Information