Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Paul Wall Aggro

Sep 2011

Re: Paul Wall Aggro

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    For these more defensive and control type shells i wonder if tireless tribe might be valuable just to threaten quick kills vs combo and the less interactive decks where your walls don't have much value.
    You threaten the fastest kills against combo by resolving Chalice of the Void and boarding into Thorn of Amethyst, winning the game on turn 1.

If you're playing 1-drops and no Chalice, then maybe Tireless Tribe is a necessary evil because the non-Chalice wall decks have almost 0 interaction with non-aggro strategies. Either way you probably still lose to combo and still lose to Xerox.dec. Durdly creature-heavy strategies don't work unless you heavily disrupt the spell-based decks.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    For these more defensive and control type shells i wonder if tireless tribe might be valuable just to threaten quick kills vs combo and the less interactive decks where your walls don't have much value.
    Nice finding!!!

For combo the blue version has also FOW and additional counters from the board.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Went 3-1 with Paul Wall Aggro tonight!! Beat sneak and show, death and taxes, and bug leovold...lost to Canadian thresh. Protean Hulk was clutch, the pile is doran/gaddock teeg/sylvan safekeeper/4 phyrexian walker/4 shield sphere/3 ornithopter. I regret not maindecking ensnaring bridge as it works great with all the 0 power dudes.

4 birds of paradise
    3 ornithopter
    4 phyrexian walker
    4 shield sphere
    2 overgrown battlement
    1 skinshifter
    1 dryad arbor
    1 sylvan safekeeper
    1 gaddock teeg
    2 protean hulk
    4 green Sun's Zenith
    3 natural order
    1 tower defense

4 cabal therapy

2 doran, the siege tower
    4 assault formation

3 forest
    1 swamp
    4 windswept heath
    3 verdant catacombs
    2 overgrown tomb
    2 temple garden
    1 bw shock
    4 ghost quarter

SB:
    2 ensnaring bridge
    1 terrastodon
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 thoughtseize
    3 abrupt decay
    I'm very tempted to try the new kappa cannoneer in here. Powering it out with the 0 cmc artifacts.

Edit:

4 ornithopter
    4 phyrexian walker
    3 shield sphere
    1 protean hulk
    4 pattern of rebirth
    1 Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive
    2 doran, the siege tower
    1 sylvan safekeeper
    3 kappa cannoneer
    1 tower defense
    4 assault formation
    4 chalice of the void
    4 cabal therapy

3 gaea's cradle
    3 ancient tomb
    1 bayou
    1 savannah
    2 Tropical Island
    1 forest
    2 Underground Sea
    1 badlands
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 verdant catacombs
    1 boseiju, who endures
    1 Phyrexian tower

SB
    2 boseiju, who endures
    4 leyline of the void
    2 Collector Ouphe
    4 ensnaring bridge
    3 trinisphere
    Last edited by kinda; 02-16-2022 at 06:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Somehow I missed this janky deck before, but it's nice! I may have to experiment with it one of these weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Somehow I missed this janky deck before, but it's nice! I may have to experiment with it one of these weeks.
    Sweet, let us know how it goes!
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Feb 2014

Allosaurus shepherd is not good enough here?
    Also maybe a craterhoof for the NO version, for the times you do not have a sac outlet ready and/or it would be lethal (3 0-manas creatures and cradle make pattern+cabal/tower or NO+fetch/arbor/bird a T2 kill, so for one slot it may be worth it)?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Allosaurus shepherd is not good enough here?
    Also maybe a craterhoof for the NO version, for the times you do not have a sac outlet ready and/or it would be lethal (3 0-manas creatures and cradle make pattern+cabal/tower or NO+fetch/arbor/bird a T2 kill, so for one slot it may be worth it)?
    Allosaurus should be good enough in the GSZ + NO versions.

Craterhoof Behemoth works with multiple Ornithopter and Phyrexian Walker, but the rest cannot attack without an enabler... So it would often be nonlethal. Whereas Hulk finds Doran + Safekeeper + 12 0s.

To make Hoof better, once you start adding more 0/xs that can attack and more green creatures as NO fodder (Ignoble Hierarch?), at some point it just becomes a bad Elf deck.

Winter Maze

Kai streamed this deck with the new card The Pride of Hull Clade.

Matches 1-3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D51Swv8nqCk&t=5931s

Matches 4-5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-c1GnilG7s

Positive record, deck seems pretty solid.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Oh wow the new build looks quite good.

I think this was his decklist? Strategy changed quite a bit

//Lands: 20
    4 Urza's Saga
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    2 Savannah
    4 Gaea's Cradle

//Spells: 14
    4 Force of Will
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Once Upon A Time
    2 Force of Negation
    1 Lorien Revealed
    2 Last March of the Ents

//Creatures: 24
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Walking Bulwark
    4 Delighted Halfling
    2 Fog Bank
    2 Wall of Denial
    4 Arcades, the Strategist
    2 Wall of Stolen Identity
    2 The Pride of Hull Clade

//Enchantments: 2
    1 Assault Formation
    1 High Alert

There's a lot of interaction, many ways to let walls attack, many ways to ramp into Pride. The wall package itself is trimmed down. Last March of the Ents is a funny Cradle payoff with x/8s and x/15s.

Draw 15 seems a little dangerous in a Bowmaster format. It's good that you can attack with Pride without its ability.

Edit: I'm surprised the deck doesn't want 4 Wall of Denial. It's Shroud Murktide Regent, very hard to beat in combat or interact with, and it pitches to Force. The only downside is you can't use targetted effects (Assault Formation, Bulwark) but that might just be an argument to reduce reliance on those and use more global effects like High Alert & Arcades.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-16-2024 at 01:27 PM.

Thread Information