Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: [Deck] Crystalline Elves

Re: [Deck] Crystalline Elves

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    Anyone think Mercy Killing + Priest of Titania is good enough to make this deck viable again? It's definitely got me interested...
    Immaculate Magistrate would be house with that.
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

Nov 2006
    Shelton, CT

Eh, your not really getting that manyelves through it which is why its not that amazing. The biggest creature this deck runs is packmaster and your never gonna wanna sack it with a priest out. Your probably only going to get 3-4 elves out and that doesnt give you any plus mana, or not enough to speed it up enough. The deck is fast enough, the only thing it realy needs now is a little more disruption and another eledamri-esque protection creature.
    Call me Ishmael

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

That's the beauty of it -- you don't have to use it on your guys. Priest of Titania counts all elves in play. It's disruption plus mana accelleration. That's why I'm interested. Haven't tested it, but I believe some potential is there.

I am curreently working on building an 8 Land Elvish Stompy deck to be posted soon. This deck should be able to outrun most decks.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

I have to agree with technogeek5000. It seems cool to make them chump/trade in combat, then Mercy Kill your guy with damage on the stack, but once again it's useless after a Wrath, and not very useful at turning the tide unless very specific conditions are met. When it's most effective, it's a win-more card (or do just as little, e.g. when facing a Moat).

On the disruptive side, I'd rather splash White for real removal instead of giving them pumped Forestwalkers. Oh, and when your guys are Shrouded it doesn't boost your army. I'd rather pay 1 more for a Wilt Leaf Liege that happens to make Teeg a 4/4. Incidentally, how does the new Liege compare with Packmaster in terms of viability? This pumper can't do insane tricks with Priest of Titania, but it doesn't eat an Elf either. They both compete with Sylvan Messenger for the 4-drop slots, so we can't be running too many of them.

By the way, have we shot down Mutavault yet? I didn't see it discussed, and it dodges sweepers, counters, and the odd Humility. Unfortunately, it doesn't count as an Elf while it's a land, so Messenger et. al. can't fetch it.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    I have to agree with technogeek5000. It seems cool to make them chump/trade in combat, then Mercy Kill your guy with damage on the stack, but once again it's useless after a Wrath, and not very useful at turning the tide unless very specific conditions are met. When it's most effective, it's a win-more card (or do just as little, e.g. when facing a Moat).

On the disruptive side, I'd rather splash White for real removal instead of giving them pumped Forestwalkers. Oh, and when your guys are Shrouded it doesn't boost your army. I'd rather pay 1 more for a Wilt Leaf Liege that happens to make Teeg a 4/4. Incidentally, how does the new Liege compare with Packmaster in terms of viability? This pumper can't do insane tricks with Priest of Titania, but it doesn't eat an Elf either. They both compete with Sylvan Messenger for the 4-drop slots, so we can't be running too many of them.

By the way, have we shot down Mutavault yet? I didn't see it discussed, and it dodges sweepers, counters, and the odd Humility. Unfortunately, it doesn't count as an Elf while it's a land, so Messenger et. al. can't fetch it.
    If you are running mana producers, you shouldn't have a problem running an extra 4 drop. I usually run 1-2 packmasters, 3 Messangers and maybe 3-4 Wilt Leaf Leige. Once you get out a few mana elves, you shouldn't have a problem with the 4 drops.

Nov 2006
    Shelton, CT

Packmasters and sylvan messengers are important, you shouldnt be cutting them for lieges... or if you have to cut only 1 packmaster for them. The only elf in this deck that doesnt assist all the other cards is Vanquisher which is why im taking out 1-2 of them and a packmaster to fit in the lieges. insertnamehere is right that as long as your running enough acceleration the 4 drop slot should not be a problem. Oh and Id like to address packmasters drawback for those who havent actually noticed how beneficial it is for us. With the 5/5 body that makes 2/2's it never hurts your board to champion a elf. Even more importantly, is that it hides a creature so that if someone clears your board you can recover faster. I have always enjoyed hiding sylvan messengers because you get there CIP ability again after they shoot your board down so you can fully recover in 1-2 turns. Packmasters hide ability and the symbiotes hide ability are the reasons that this deck doesnt entirely fold to mass removal.
    Call me Ishmael

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    If you are running mana producers, you shouldn't have a problem running an extra 4 drop. I usually run 1-2 packmasters, 3 Messangers and maybe 3-4 Wilt Leaf Leige. Once you get out a few mana elves, you shouldn't have a problem with the 4 drops.
    Yeah, but on the other hand you don't want a turn-2 Pyroclasm to wipe 2 turns of development and most of your mana production, leaving you holding only expensive dudes. Anyway, running around 6-8 in that slot seems like a good plan, and that's what you're doing anyway. =)

I guess these recent posts have "accidentally" shot down Mutavault in Elves. Existing resistance to sweepers in the deck, the fact that Mutavault doesn't help other Elves, etc.

New question: Which Leyline's in your sideboard? I take it that you're using Leyline of the Void and not the green one?
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Play Packmaster, championing a messanger, tapping my priest for a jillion mana, bouncing the packmaster with a symbiote to untap the priest, messanger comes into play revealing 4 cards, replay packmaster and whatever elves I revealed. Repeat and enjoy.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

you know that you can use symbiote only once a turn ?

Nov 2006
    Shelton, CT

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    Play Packmaster, championing a messanger, tapping my priest for a jillion mana, bouncing the packmaster with a symbiote to untap the priest, messanger comes into play revealing 4 cards, replay packmaster and whatever elves I revealed. Repeat and enjoy.
    Umm, its easier to just recur the messenger directly with symbiote then to go through all that. When you get that set up with recurring messengers its always a win so why go through all of this for the smae end result.

@kirbysdl: yes its the black leyline... the green one is garbage.
    Call me Ishmael

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

I know the black one is powerful, but I don't know that the other one is garbage. What do you do against Countertop backed with FoW/Daze? Or first turn chalice for 1, second turn chalice for 2? I know the curve of this deck is reasonably diverse, but a deck like TEC seems to have too many answers to both spells and resolved creatures. Given that everything in the maindeck besides Thorn is a creature, why is the green Leyline in the side so horrible?

This is actually two questions: (1) do you think it's actually crap, or do you simply prefer other cards in your side? and (2) so how do you beat permission decks?

On another note, if we want removal but not Mercy Killing, there's always the new Flame Javelin. 6 is a heavy cost to pay, but at least we now have an(other) option for "monogreen" creature removal. Desert Twister could also work, but it can't provide end-game reach.

Quote Originally Posted by technogeek5000 View Post
    @kirbysdl: yes its the black leyline... the green one is garbage.
    The only reason the green leyline would be used is when your opponent plays Chalice for 1(set-up)
    Chalice for 2(finishing move)

There was a lot of solid and fruitful development of elves here for it all to go to waste just because one card got nerfed.

Eldamari, Lord of the Leaves is still crazy good.

It's no longer stupendously broken (making all your guys both unblockable and untargetable was insane, like Winged Sliver and Crystalline Sliver being put on the same card.)

It's now an elf, so it works with Priest, Wilt Leaf Liege etc.

It gives two fantastic abilities.

Forestwalk = Unblockable in this Goyf infested format.

Having to get StPed first before the other elves can be StPed is still extremely solid. It's like a Mother of Runes that doens't have to tap, and can continue to attack.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Do we really need three Elves threads? Is there a way to consolidate this info or simply start a new thread? If someone is interested enough, he could start a new thread and we'll lock down these three Necro-jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

There is a lot of new, and diverging info on the different threads.

It would be sweet if they were indeed consolidated. But that's probably too much work.

The people will decide for themselves which elf thread has the best and most useful information and post there, and the other thread will fall off of page one by tommorrow.

Thread Information