Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Crystalline Elves

Refuses to Play Inconsistent Decks
    Oct 2006

Re: [Deck] Crystalline Elves

Yeah, I guess you are right about Harbinger. On another note, the problem with playing discard is that it makes both Bloodline Shaman and Sylvan Messenger much weaker. Same with Thorn of Amethyst of whatever it is called.

Kronicler
    Team Info-Ninjas: Catchphrases so secret, I don't even know what they are!

Nov 2006
    Hungary

On the other hand, you don't really need the staying power of Shamans and Messengers against combo, so the question is really how much of the disruption to play maindeck, and then you bring all the rest in from the sideboard. I also think we should stick to discard and graveyard hate for now rather than Thorns and Spheres, as long as Breakfast and Ichorid are in vogue as opposed to various flavours of Storm. I'd personally use Thoughtseize and Therapy in the main with a sideboard something like:

SB: 4 Duress
    SB: 4 Planar Void
    SB: 4 Choke
    SB: 3 Gaddock Teeg
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Quote Originally Posted by Kronicler View Post
    My only problem with this deck is that it suffer's from Meathooks' problem in that it can easily be forced to over extend. Now granted this deck has infinity more card advantage than Meathooks which will allow it to recover much faster from a mass removal spell, but it still seems like a pretty big weakness.
    Then splash black for Prowess of the Fair. It also gives you room for Cabal Therapy (synergy!) and the ever-so-mentioned Thoughtseize. Maybe even Lys Alana Scarblade (gotta love that card name) for a pseudo Gempalm Incinerator.

I think going the Vial route with mana denial (Ports and Wastelands) to mirror what Goblins did in its prime deserves some testing, at least. This deck basically takes the synergy of the Goblin tribe and now mashes it with the pump and untargetability of Slivers... Pretty nice once you think about it.

I'll test it once I get back from our championship party...

Feb 2007
    San Diego

I was thinking perhapes a GB survival/ELVES! thing to go on here...

4 cabal therapy
    4 thoughtseize
    3 eternal witness
    4 llanwar elves
    4 survival of the fittest
    2 quirion ranger
    1 roffellos, llanwar emissary
    1 veridian shaman
    1 squee goblin naboob
    1 genesis
    2 priest of titania
    1 masticore
    1 ravenous balath
    4 elvish champion
    4 Eldarami, lord of leaves
    1 derranged hermit
    3 imperious perfect

4 bayou
    1 swamp
    2 overgrown tomb
    4 wooded foothills
    2 windswept heath
    2 bloodstained mire
    4 forest

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Personally, I can only see this deck doing well in a vial goblins shell. The better thing about elves is that the colors G and B are colors goblins would love to have. Being able to kill artifacts and enchantments and cheaply disrupt the opponent is amazing. It is also able to disruot the mana bases better. I think elves! is just bad when you have faster combo decks with more protection.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Kronicler View Post
    Yeah, I guess you are right about Harbinger. On another note, the problem with playing discard is that it makes both Bloodline Shaman and Sylvan Messenger much weaker. Same with Thorn of Amethyst of whatever it is called.

Kronicler

I'm not sure the messenger, shaman package is needed. In many ways Eladamri allows for elves to out-agro thresh and prity much every other deck (except ichoird). Wirewood Herald is your best form of search and works well with Cabal Therapy. The timing is such that you get to play your disruption first anyway. And besides, paying for Thoughtseize/Duress/Cabal Therapy is fine assuming your opponent is affected more by the thorn then you are. You can easily turn this deck into a very effective agro control deck with a very solid threshold plan.

4 Eladamri, Lord of Leaves
    4 Skyshroud Elete
    4 Wirewood Herald
    3 Gempalm Strider
    4 Wren's Run Vanquisher
    3 Elvish Champion
    4 Llanowar Elves

4 Thoughtseize
    2 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thorn of Amythyst

4 Bayou
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    4 Forest

SB:
    4 Yixlid Jailer
    4 Krosan Grip
    3 Tormod’s Crypt
    4 Engineered Plague

I put this together last night after reading about Eladamri. I like how it stomps thresh into the ground if they are not main decking CB. You might not even need to run the mana elves at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Refuses to Play Inconsistent Decks
    Oct 2006

You know what, that actually seems like the most interesting direction to take this deck. If we go the Vial / Waste / Port route, it will most likely be inferior to gobos, and if we go the balls to the walls card advantage / pump elves it will still most likely be inferior to gobos. This type of build on the other hand is new and fresh. While I don't really have anything to input on your list, Happy, are you sure that 2x Shockland is better than 2x Gilt Leaf Palace? While the palace can't be fetched, why would we ever fetch a shockland when we can just fetch a dual land? In other words, who cards if it can't be fetched.

Kronicler

P.S. Wirewood Herald + Cabal Therapy = tech
    Team Info-Ninjas: Catchphrases so secret, I don't even know what they are!

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Eladamri is indeed awesome with the subtype change, but I wouldn't rule out Wirewood Symbiote entirely. Its only targeting requirement is that the target is a creature, so you can have it target itself. In other words, even when Eladamri is in play, you can bounce elves for combat tricks (put damage on the stack and bounce what would die) or just to recast them and trigger coming-into-play effects. He can also protect an Elf from sweepers.

When Eladamri's not in play, he can do all of that and untap your elves.

Instead of Prowess of the Fair, what about Caller of the Claw? You need to run mana elves and/or remember to leave mana open, but you can search for a 1-of Caller when your Wirewood Herald dies to a sweeper, and your tokens are twice as big. Herald also adds a surprise factor, but the fact that he makes Bears and not Elves is pretty significant unless you can swing for the win the next turn. Whether or not you can do that depends on whether he can handle a horde of bears and whether you've been playing a ton of elves to get the 10 or so tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    I like how it stomps thresh into the ground if they are not main decking CB.
    Pardon the newbie, but CB?
    Last edited by Curby; 10-11-2007 at 04:57 AM.

Lone Viking of Denmark
    Dec 2005
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Pardon the newbie, but CB?
    Counterbalance. (At least thats what I think).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    "What would happen if Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex... and Lava Dart watched"?

Stifle - U
    Instant (Rare, from Scourge)
    Counter target activated or triggered ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    And you could also just say 'his', because we're all pretty sure Di is a dude. Pretty sure.
    This is debatable depending on how big my boobs feel in the morning.

I am currently working on rebuilding the old Elf and Staff combo. You may want to figure in some of these cards:
    Staff of Domination Infinate everything
    Eladamri to the sideboard only to be used if needed
    Tarmogoyf (it is green and only gets bigger)
    The new card that gives elves +1/+1 in addition to the champion
    Cradles are really not needed because once you get 5 or 6 creatures on the table it becomes useless.
    Shyshroud poacher just good as vial except it searches through your library for an elf for 3
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

@Happy Gilmore: I think your list is the only one that seems a real aggrocontrol one. Though I have to say that Thorn of Amethyst belongs to the sideboard, as well as Duress, because I think the list has enough MD discard. Instead I'd include some extra removal (considering Wren's Run Packmaster as removal), allowing you to kill 'Goyf. I would try something like this:
    -4 Thorn of amethyst
    -2 Duress
    +3 Smother
    +3 Imperious Perfect/extra removal

I think that more pumping may result redundant and may be changed. I like a lot the low cost elves. Cabal Therapy+Wirewood Herald rocks. Gempalm Strider seems great in a metagame full of Threshold and Landstill.

Forestwalk+Shroud+Discard+Black Removal=AntiThresh.deck

P.S.: Fyndhorn Elves are cooler than Llanowar Elves.
    P.S.2: God will punish us with genital herpes because we're suggesting not playing 'Goyf in a green deck...
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

Picture in Picture, 104 Channels
    Sep 2007

Here's a more controllish type elfs deck. Mana denial and whatnot.

// Lands
    4 [US] Gaea's Cradle
    8 [10E] Forest (4)

// Creatures
    3 Tribal Forcemage
    3 [VI] Quirion Ranger
    4 [10E] Elvish Champion
    2 [10E] Gaea's Herald
    4 [ON] Elvish Vanguard
    4 [UL] Multani's Acolyte
    4 [IA] Fyndhorn Elves
    3 [TE] Eladamri, Lord of Leaves
    4 [LOR] Imperious Perfect
    2 [10E] Llanowar Elves
    2 [LOR] Lys Alana Huntmaster
    4 [US] Priest of Titania

// Spells
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Winter Orb
    3 City of Solitude

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [TE] Choke
    SB: 3 Seedtime
    SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    SB: 4 [PLC] Seal of Primordium
    SB: 2 [UD] Compost

I'd want to try Smokestack in here instead of City, see how that works.
    What with all the token making elfs, I'd imagine that Smokestack could be very painful.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by satellites View Post
    // Lands
    4 [US] Gaea's Cradle
    8 [10E] Forest (4)
    This seems so wrong - you're effectively running only 8 lands because Cradle is utterly useless without a creature in play.

Topic change - some food for thought:
    Mana elves + Thorn of Amethyst + Root Maze

Picture in Picture, 104 Channels
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    This seems so wrong - you're effectively running only 8 lands because Cradle is utterly useless without a creature in play.

Topic change - some food for thought:
    Mana elves + Thorn of Amethyst + Root Maze
    Root maze = yes!

Also...aside from the 8 forests, I'm also running mana elves. I tested the list I posted on the first page all weekend, and that ran 9 Forest, 3 Cradle, and 4 Lodge. I think I did OK with it. But for this one, I'm 2 cards over. So, I say, cut the Cities, add a Llanowar Elf.

This way, I've got 11 ways to make mana that aren't lands.

What should be cut for the Root Maze?

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

When you mentioned Rootmaze and gilt-leaf palace it made me wonder about the exact wording on the land just in case it came into play first before the untap affect. Unfortunately it does not work that way. The elf land is still a great idea, especially if your cutting fetches, which you will have to do. I was very impressed with Thorn in the main though, I don't think it should be moved to SB.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    I was very impressed with Thorn in the main though, I don't think it should be moved to SB.
    Honestly, Thorn is a pretty bad card. For it to be really good you'd need to run 4+ mana producing creatures. It would have be freaking ELF tribal. Wait...

I really agree with Gilmore here that Thorn is quite a bomb. Your mana producing elves can easily be held back by a creature, so use the them to cast spells around Thorn if nothing else. Between Cradle and 4-8 (Or even more thanks to Priest and the new Lorwyn mana elf).

As a random note, Wren's Run Packmaster is amazing with Cradle and Priest (or just Cradle, hell getting the thing out turn 3 is incredibly simple) but the real bomb is Wren's Run Vanquisher. 3/3 for 2 that can blow up anything? I have held back armies with Thornweald Archer (Which, by the way, could be testable) and it isn't nearly as strong as Vanquisher.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

I wanted to incorporate some changes that many have suggested so far, but I found it very difficult without posting another deck list. I've been bad about that lately.

4 Skyshroud Elete
    4 Wirewood Herald
    4 Wren's Run Vanquisher
    4 Elvish Champion
    2 Elves of the Deep Shadow
    3 Llanowar Elves

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Root Maze
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thorn of Amythyst

4 Bayou
    4 Gilt Leaf Palace
    4 Mosswort Bridge (tech!)
    4 Forest
    3 Overgrown Tomb

SB:
    4 Yixlid Jailer
    4 Krosan Grip
    3 Tormod’s Crypt
    4 Engineered Plague

It seems extremely easy to take advantage of Mosswort Bridge in this deck, and did anyone else realize that Wirewood Herald can get Gilt Leaf Ambush?

******s?
    TeaM NOVA for life.

The more I think of it - Mirror Entity is just sick, sick, sick.

I think I just try the old Elves! list with Mirror Entities filling the random slots (Timberwatch Elf, Multani's Acolyte etc). Concordant Crossroad build gets very fast.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

This build has been GREAT for me so far:

16 Forest
    4 Wasteland

4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Wren's Run Vanquisher
    4 Elvish Harbinger
    4 Elvish Champion
    4 Imperious Perfect
    4 Sylvan Messenger
    4 Wren's Run Packmaster

4 Thorn of Amethyst

SB
    4 Caller of the Claw
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Viridian Zealot

EDIT: I'd probably go -1 Eladamri, -1 Packmaster, +2 something... I'd like to keep the sexy curve of 8-12-12-8 though...

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

Maybe some aether vials?
    “THROUGH me you pass into the city of woe, through me you pass into eternal pain, Through me among the people lost for aye.
    Justice the founder of my fabric moved, to rear me was the task of Power divine, Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
    Before me things create were none, save things Eternal, and eternal I endure.
    All hope abandon, ye who enter here.” - Inferno

Thread Information