Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Crystalline Elves

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Re: [Deck] Crystalline Elves

Happy Gilmore's deck looks intringuing, even if it's missing fun Sylvan Messenger action. You do realize that Mosswort Bridge comes into play tapped, though, right? I thought R&D had gone insane before I noticed the CIPT clause hidden in the reminder text. What's the point of running Wirewood Herald without any semblance of a toolbox? You don't have Caller, Ending, any of the many artifact and enchantment killers, or even Messenger. And is Elvish Champion better than Imperious Perfect?
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    Happy Gilmore's deck looks intringuing, even if it's missing fun Sylvan Messenger action. You do realize that Mosswort Bridge comes into play tapped, though, right? I thought R&D had gone insane before I noticed the CIPT clause hidden in the reminder text. What's the point of running Wirewood Herald without any semblance of a toolbox? You don't have Caller, Ending, any of the many artifact and enchantment killers, or even Messenger. And is Elvish Champion better than Imperious Perfect?
    Wow, I didn't notice that at all...that makes Bridge a lot worse than I thought. I think its safe to take out the bridges, coming into play tapped is enough of a drawback not to play it. Imperious Perfect may also be better than Champion, making 2/2 elves each turn seems very very good. I overlooked him completely and I feel stupid about it since I used him to rape face at the pre-release. Yes, he is probably better than Champion.

-4 Champion
    +3 Imperious Perfect
    +1 Caller of the Claw
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

I'm not too sure about Eladamri. If you run him, that means Quirion Ranger and Wirewood Symbiote gets weaker. Is it really worth it? I'm not sure, but the Forestwalk-ability is really good against Threshold :)

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Elves win if your opponent cannot kill your Elves, or doesn't play combo. Eladamri tackles the first one. He'll slow you slightly down, but he'll guarantee your win.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Elves win if your opponent cannot kill your Elves, or doesn't play combo. Eladamri tackles the first one. He'll slow you slightly down, but he'll guarantee your win.
    I'm not actually sure this is true. Pyroclasm still beats you. Bolt et all really don't seem to be that relevant, especially if you have Symbiote. You' just got too many good dues for it to matter.

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

Gempalm Strider in response to Pyroclasm seems techy in this deck and is also an interesting uncounterable pumping effect than can be very useful I've found it very interesting.

I like this deck, because it's sometimes like Meathooks with card advantage. Anyway I think the Gb plan is the best.
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by godryk View Post
    I like this deck, because it's sometimes like Meathooks with card advantage. Anyway I think the Gb plan is the best.
    Actually, it's better. You have the virtual card advantage that Eladamri gives you, plus the actual card advantage that Sylvan Messenger gives you.
    I've always been a big fan of Elves!, Trinity Green and the like, and I think now that Eladamri protects himself as well, they could become truly viable.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

I have twiddled with several versions of elf based decks in the past. I think you can run as little 8 lands using E.S.G., lotus petal and land grant. I think it should be toyed with.
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

A list I have been thinking of.

Lands
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Bayou
    3 Forest
    1 Pendelhaven

Non-Creatures
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Cabal Therapy

Mana Elves
    3 Fyndhorn Elves
    3 Elves of Deep Shadow

Creatures
    4 Eldamri
    4 Sylvan Messenger
    4 Imperious Perfect
    4 Skyshroud Elite
    4 Wirewood Herald
    1 Caller of the Claw
    1 Tribal Forcemage
    4 Wren's Run Vanquisher

SB
    4 Duress
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Planar Void
    3 Krosan Grip

I want to add a lot of cards in the board, but this is pretty good I think. 2 cards too much MD, but basically the frame is what I think would be best for an elf deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Lands
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Bayou
    3 Forest
    1 Pendelhaven

Non-Creatures
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Cabal Therapy

Mana Elves
    3 Fyndhorn Elves
    3 Elves of Deep Shadow

Creatures
    4 Eldamri
    4 Sylvan Messenger
    4 Imperious Perfect
    4 Skyshroud Elite
    4 Wirewood Herald
    1 Caller of the Claw
    1 Tribal Forcemage
    4 Wren's Run Vanquisher
    We are testing a very similar list with these changes:

-1 Wasteland
    -4 Rishadan Port
    -1 Imperious Perfect
    -1 Tribal Forcemage

+1 Windswepth Heath
    +1 Forest
    +3 Thoughtseize

We opted for more discard instead of the LD route.
    8 colorless lands interfered with turn2 Eladamri or turn2 discard+elf more often than you'd expect, and in most cases 22 land was just too much.
    The addition of Thoughtseize MD helps improve our poorer matchups more than the LD package does.
    Tribal Forcemage is ehh. Seems more like a win-more than anything.
    Imperious Perfect seems like the weakest part of the deck. I'm thinking of dropping them and one of the Messengers for some meta hate...though I haven't thought what that might be yet.
    Extirpate/Planar Void/Leyline of the Void/Tormod's Crypt/Phyrexian Furnace hit a lot of the meta.
    Eyeblight's Ending seems interesting - attainable through Herald and Messenger to take out those Goyfs. It's semi over-costed, though, and Vanquisher fills the same roll.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Refuses to Play Inconsistent Decks
    Oct 2006

I can't believe that Imperious Perfect feels weak. Not only does he pump all of your guys but he makes tokens every turn! He seems incredibly strong.

Kronicler
    Team Info-Ninjas: Catchphrases so secret, I don't even know what they are!

I've tested Elvish Harbinger a little. I find it great - Not only does it find Wren's Run Packmaster, Priest of Titania or any other elf you need, it produces black mana. Turn 2 Harbinger, Turn 3 Wren's Run Packmaster (Removing Harbinger for later use (like when they kill the Packmaster, which they have to in most cases)) seems very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronicler View Post
    I can't believe that Imperious Perfect feels weak. Not only does he pump all of your guys but he makes tokens every turn! He seems incredibly strong.

Kronicler
    I think he is very useful except when Eladamri is in play. In regards to making the creature everyturn, the Packmaster does a better job.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by kicks_422 View Post
    I'd like to keep the sexy curve of 8-12-12-8 though...
    I think you can slightly reduce the number of 2-drops, since your 1-drops are all mana elves and you can often accelerate into your 3-drops on the second turn.

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    I think he is very useful except when Eladamri is in play.
    Eladamri conflicts with the Prefect?

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

I think he is very useful except when Eladamri is in play.
    Can you explain this?

In regards to making the creature everyturn, the Packmaster does a better job.
    The Packmaster makes Wolves and wants 3 mana. To take avantage of him as token creator you need to have at least 6 free mana a turn.

Imperious makes 2/2 Elves (sinergy anyone?), that can be untargettable and forestwallking if there's Eladamri. and can be 3/3 or more with multiples Imperious.

I think that imperious is better in creating tokens. That leaves us with a 5/5 for 4 that kills one elf when it comes into play vs a 2/2 for 3 that pumps all our elves and gets tapped almost each turn to make a token.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    Can you explain this?

The Packmaster makes Wolves and wants 3 mana. To take avantage of him as token creator you need to have at least 6 free mana a turn.

Imperious makes 2/2 Elves (sinergy anyone?), that can be untargettable and forestwallking if there's Eladamri. and can be 3/3 or more with multiples Imperious.

I think that imperious is better in creating tokens. That leaves us with a 5/5 for 4 that kills one elf when it comes into play vs a 2/2 for 3 that pumps all our elves and gets tapped almost each turn to make a token.
    I made a mistake on Imperious, except for the fact he only creates 1 elf a turn where the Packmaster creates multiple with cradles and priests on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    Can you explain this?
    That leaves us with a 5/5 for 4 that kills one elf when it comes into play...
    False. It removes it from the game, and then returns it. Huge difference if you remove a messenger or Harbinger.

Oct 2005
    Los Angeles

The only problem with it is if you cast it with only one other elf in play, and then the opponent uses spot removal in response to the casting of it. It will kill both the original elf and the just cast Packmaster. Otherwise its a bomb, capable of killing tarmogoyfs galore with deathtouched wolves.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Silthyn View Post
    Huge difference if you remove a messenger or Harbinger.
    Championing Caller of the Claw also works to combat some sweepers, but doesn't work against Flamebreak/Deed/Explosives since the Packmaster might not die.

Quote Originally Posted by Wynk View Post
    The only problem with it is if you cast it with only one other elf in play, and then the opponent uses spot removal in response to the casting of it. It will kill both the original elf and the just cast Packmaster. Otherwise its a bomb, capable of killing tarmogoyfs galore with deathtouched wolves.
    It's not difficult having two Elves in play, plus you're using Eladamri. However, without Priests and/or Cradles, you can't really abuse the Wolf-generating feature. Priests+Symbiotes+Packmasters would be really nutty, but otherwise a 3-drop that happens to make a 2+/2+ each turn and helps all elves is better than a 4-drop that makes a 2/2 each turn (without massive mana, you can't count on more).

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Championing Caller of the Claw also works to combat some sweepers, but doesn't work against Flamebreak/Deed/Explosives since the Packmaster might not die.

It's not difficult having two Elves in play, plus you're using Eladamri. However, without Priests and/or Cradles, you can't really abuse the Wolf-generating feature. Priests+Symbiotes+Packmasters would be really nutty, but otherwise a 3-drop that happens to make a 2+/2+ each turn and helps all elves is better than a 4-drop that makes a 2/2 each turn (without massive mana, you can't count on more).
    I heard Gaea's Cradle is broken with Packmaster, maybe 2 of those could be included in the list? ^_^

Thread Information