Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An EPIC Victory

An EPIC Victory

Alright, this story involves a background so let me give it to you. I leave for college August 23rd and after a few days there I meet this girl Jenny she wants to crash in my bed but not fool around (this is the one Nightmare keeps mixing the other girl with). Two days after I meet Jenny I meet Ashley, she becomes one of my best friends that I happen to want to fuck. One Thursday night she says, ďLetís get drunkĒ at this point in time I didnít drink, I was shit faced by the end of the night. We both start to pass out in my bed and I go to steal second and she tells me not tonight. WTF. Now this is the girl who people will make fun of me later on for. I leave for home the next day and when I get back to campus on Sunday she was shaking, I asked her why and she said, ďI did cocaine.Ē At this point I quit liking her. Sorry, to some of you who are into girls who smoke pot, coke and other drugs but I have standards. The next day she got drunk, again, and I ended up holding her hair back as she prayed to the porcelain gods. She goes back into her room and says she is going to bed, as I leave this guy Bobby goes in her room. Her roommate later tells me she fucked him. After this I get busy with art projects after all I am an art major. Myself and Ashley donít talk for about a week, itís college, right? Wrong. After a week and a few days she comes up to me and spazzes the fuck out because I havenít talked to her. I get pissed and donít plan on talking to her, the next day she walks up to me in class and says, ďYou have to hear this crazy story.Ē My response was, ďI donít want to hear anything from you.Ē

We stop talking for awhile and my friend Katie introduces me to her roommate Catie. Catie and I hit it off fairly well we go to see a few movies on Thursday and Friday night. Saturday comes and a big group of us walk to Chittenango from Cazenovia and back which was close to 20 miles in one day. Sunday hits and Catie, Katie, Mike (My roommate) and I go apple picking. Best idea ever. During the week the big group of people I hang out with watch movies in the student center (thereís a TV thatís 10 feet wide and about 8 feet tall) of course I invited Catie. We end up going to see an acoustic performer on campus and it turns out we have the same taste in terrible 90ís music. I love the song Wonderwall, I canít help it. Here is where the bitch comes back I guess during some point in this shitty story Ashley walked up to Catie and told her Iím only looking for sex and she shouldnít talk to me. I know Ashley is a See You Next Tuesday, right?

I end up going home (this is where Magic: the gathering starts coming in) turns out my Abeyances came in the mail. I start to goldfish my list for when Ponder becomes legal when is cutting Empty the Warrens down to one, removing the draw four, an Abeyance and adding using Serum Visions (Portent too) and they werenít cutting it. I get tired and throw in Dark Confidant into the slot and go to bed. Colin and Adam pick me up in the morning and the first thing they say is ďDid you fuck that girl yet?Ē (Ashley). I try explaining I donít talk to her anymore for the rest of the day but am cut off. I get to the event and the joke continues. I just start to ignore it.

The decklist

The EPIC Storm ó Bryant Cook

4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 Undiscovered Paradise

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Dark Confidant

1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Orim's Chant
    2 Abeyance

Sideboard
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Cruel Bargain
    3 Pyroblast
    1 Hull Breach
    3 Shattering Spree
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Cave-In
    1 Red Elemental Blast

Round one: Jared Zimmer (willo) (Armo-Still)

Game one: He plays turn one Tropical, Aether Vial and passes. I play turn one Gemstone Mine, pitch Simian Spirit Guide, cast Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Lotus Petal, Ill-Gotten Gains (Holding a Burning Wish in hand). I get back Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, and Burning Wish, Jared brings back 2x Tarmogoyf and a Standstill. I Burning Wish for Empty the Warrens. Jarred Scoops.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, -1 Chrome Mox, -2 Simian Spirit Guide, +3 Pyroblast, +1 Red Elemental Blast

While sideboarding I get a text message from Catie saying, "Whn r u comin bak to caz?" I decide I'll text her later.

Game two: I start out very slow and end up Burning Wishing for Cruel Bargain. I end up casting 4x Dark Rituals (Two I infernalled for in the same turn for storm it adds +2 storm + 0 mana), and an Lions Eye Diamond. I cast the draw 4 in response adding BBB I get 3 Lotus Petals and a Dark Confidant. GGme.

I get another text from Catie, this one says, ďIm comin bak mon night.Ē

Game Three: He mulligans, I cast turn one Dark Confidant. Turn two Dark Confidant. He canít keep up with insane card advantage. I end up bashing him down to 8 with 2 Bobs. Then Chanting him, he Forces, I Chant again, He forces, I Abeyance, He Counterspells, I Pyroblast it. I then play 2x Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond into Infernal tutor. I had an asston of storm into Tendrils.

1-0
    2-1

Round two: Mike (Unregged) (Reanimator)

Game one: He goes turn one careful study pitching Simic Sky Swallower and Akroma, Angel of Wrath. I cast turn one Confidant. He casts 2nd turn dead on SSS, donít ask me why. I take a lot of Damage down to 8 when he reanimates Akroma that turn. I take 1 damage for a Dark ritual and tap my City of Brass to cast it, Iím at 6, I cast Rite of Flame off of a SSG. Burning Wish for Bargain, I cast another Dark Ritual then Bargain. Iím at 3. I Draw Lionís Eye Diamond, Brainstorm, Mox, Dark Confidant. I Brainstorm into Infernal Tutor, and Dark Ritual. Iím awesome at drawing Dark Rituals and Confidants just so you know now. Hint: Foreshadowing.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, -1 Chrome Mox, -2 Simian Spirit Guide, +3 Pyroblast, +1 Red Elemental Blast

Game two: He careful studies, ditching Akroma and X. 2nd turn he reanimates her. I opened 2x LED, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish and 2 land.

2-0
    4-1

Round three: Zach Tartell (LonelyBaritone) (Enchantress)

Game one: I donít remember what happened this game other than I had a turn one Dark Confidant. Which lead me into winning with Tendrils.

Sideboarding: -2 Abeyance, -2 Chant, +1 Cruel Bargain, +3 Pyroblast
    Game two: Turn one Dark Confidant again. I burning Wish for Tranquility after he plays in the Eye of Chaos. I flip a Pyroblast and pay 2 to blast away his Eye. Next turn he replenishes. I Tranquility. He plays a few Aura of Silence, and another enchantment to hold me down. I Brainstorm into 2x Dark ritual. Heís at 8, and I cast 3x Dark Ritual into a Tendrils of Agony which was in my hand.

3-0
    6-1

Round four: Jesse Robison (Unregged) (RGW Goblins with Ancient Tomb)

Game one: I keep a hand with Burning Wish, SSG, and Rite of Flame with 3 lands and a Mox. I was thinking I could clear the wave with a Cave-in, then have time to recover. Nope.

Sideboarding: -1 Abeyance, +1 Cruel bargain

Game two: I mulligan, I go 1st turn petal, 2x Dark Ritual, SSG, Confidant, Infernal for Confidant #2 and cast it. Pass. He plays Fanatic and passes. I flip 2 cards, draw, play land. Pass. He cycles incinerator and kills both Bobs. Then next turn wastes my only land. GG me.

3-1
    6-3

After this round Nightmare and a bunch of others start to get hammered after theyíre out of contention. This is bad for the top 8.

Round five: Dave (I know heís regged I just donít know his name) (43 Lands)

Game one: On my first turn I cast Brainstorm and have a turn 2 win hand. He wastes my land leaving me with one mana source. He beats me down to 4, I scream at my deck give me a fucking red mana source and the SSG was there. I played a bunch of Rituals, 2x Lionís Eye Diamond into Burning Wish for the win.

Sideboarding: -4 Orimís Chant, + 3 Shattering Spree, +1 Cruel Bargain

Game two: I first turn land, Brainstorm, 2nd turn land, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Infernal Tutor getting LED play 2x LED, Burning Wish (in response add BBBBBB) for Ill-Gotten Gains. Cast Ill-Gotten Gains getting back 2x LED and Infernal Tutor.

4-1
    8-3

Round six: Trevor Brown (Getsickanddie) (Affinity)

ID

4-1-1
    8-3-1

Top eight: Jared Zimmer (willo) (Armo-Still)

Drunk people are all round me screaming and shouting when I have a headache. Still making that same old joke, ďSo have you fucked that girl yet?Ē

Game one: I start out with turn one Dark Confidant and start generating card advantage, I discard Tendrils. On Jaredís 3rd turn, main phase he plays his second land and passes. On my turn I Orimís Chant him, in response he fetches, in response I Abeyance. I play 2x LED, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish for Burning Wish, Burning Wish for Tendrils.

Game two: I fizzle on a Diminishing Returns when I had Pyroblast, 3x Infernal and land.

Game three: I start out with turn one Dark Confidant (Iím awesome at this), I discard Tendrils again. I Burning Wish on turn two for Bargain. He extripates Tendrils on his third turn. On my turn I chant, he fetches in response, I abeyance in response. I play Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, 2x LED, Burning Wish for Burning Wish, for Empty the Warrens for a ton. Jared Scoops again.

5-1-1
    10-4-1

As Iím picking up my cards I get once again another text that says, ďId b vry happy if you came bak to Caz mon.Ē

Top four: Tariq White (Spiderfreak) (UWB Landstill)

Game one: I turn one Confidant, he Forces (pitching stifle). Cast a turn two Dark Confidant, he Forces again (pitching Stifle). The game is dragged out, I attempt to win with a Chant and a Abeyance. Theyíre both countered and he has a third stifle for my Tendrils.

Game two: I turn one Confidant, he Forces (pitching stifle). I cast a turn two Dark Confidant. He stays on the table but faces two Stifles and a Smother before he becomes active. I end up making a lot of mana and tutor for Diminishing Returns with storm 8, play more spells to make it 14 and Tendrils.

Game three: I keep a no land hand that is able to put two Dark Confidants into play turn 1. Iím thinking he canít always have Force of Will, right? WRONG. He force of wills both of them (Pitvhing two Stifles). WTF who the fuck does that, I screamed I want a blowjob if I win this. The game gets dragged out and my draws since the bobís weíre forced were Chant, Chant, Abeyance, LED, LED, Land, Land, SSG, Infernal Tutor. Not including what was already in my hand. Needless to say I end up comboing out and raping Landstill in the end.

6-1-1
    12-5-1

After our match was done there was a lot of me screaming fuck you, fuck your deck, fuck Force of Will, fuck Islands, ect.. Needless to say I was thrilled. Not to come off too harsh but Iíve known Tariq for years he doesnít take offense to any of this.

Finals: Brian Diefendorf (Ewokslayer) (RGBSA)

Game one: Brian mulls to three. Hitís three lands and a bird, casts Anger and beats, then FTKs anger. Then proceeds to beat me down. During all of this I kept a solid hand that wouldíve won with a mana source, I just needed a mana sourceÖ I went a good 10 turns without drawing one. I screamed and pounded on the deck just give me a mana source and it was there. 2x Dark Rituals, 2x LEDs, SSG and Burning Wish for Ill-Gotten gains, get back Infernal 2x LED for Tendrils.

Sideboarding: -1 Abeyance, +1 Cruel Bargain

Game two: Brian rapes me with 3x Therapies and Duress. I scoop.

Game three:I get a busted hand and go off on turn 1 or 2, canít remember anything about this game.

7-1-1
    14-5-1

All in all, Iíve walked away with 4 Tundras and 4 Badlands making it 24 dual lands that Iíve won this year. We go out to Apple bees and Adam is telling me I have to come to Zaranskiís house to get wasted. As if Iím not already. But on the way there Adam takes my phone and starts texting Catie while drunk, it was quite hilarious.

Also, now do people see why I don't post in the TES thread? Grim fucking tutor? Please.

Re: An EPIC Victory

Congrats Bryant. I'm glad to see storm combo keep on rolling.

he meant to ask if you'd fucked that girl yet---frogboy

oh, apparently the answer is yes. put that in the OP next time.
    Last edited by frogboy; 10-11-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Apr 2006
    Nashville, TN

Congrads on the win byrant. It was unfortunate that I was unable to see you win this event.

Great Job, and hopefully I'll see you at some future Legacy tournaments.
    ~Shriek~

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

You shoved Dark Confidant back in. Yay!

<3 Bobby

Btw, congratz on the win.

Edit. Girls who do weed and drink are alright... but cocaine.... WTF? They wanna collapse their nose or something?
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Did you like having the 6 protection spells? Would you ever want to cut the abeyances and add 2 more EtW? I do like Bob as a replacement for the Draw 4s. Nice win.

You have outlived your purpose

Oct 2007
    East Syracuse

Bryant is right about the girls. To Anti American drugs are stupid how is it ok that people do it?

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Congrats Bryant. This, of course, makes the fact I was going to TELL you that running so many Warrens is becoming incredibly stupid moot, but meh.

I have been working on a rather different TES list to try to save it from being Teeg'd out of extiction, and I think you may have hit on a very good solution with Confidant.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by boris13 View Post
    Bryant is right about the girls. To Anti American drugs are stupid how is it ok that people do it?
    Well... I wouldnt say those who drink, smoke, or do weed are bad. After all, I am agreeing with Bryant. Just re-read what I said. I did mention that they are more likely to collapse their noses from excess cocaine use, as part of my questioning of that person's actions.

But this motto will always stay with me: it's up to a person to do whatever he/she wants. That person is allowed to do crazy ass drugs, as long as I'm not involved in some way, whether that may be social interaction and such.
    I dont like being in these things because I just simply dont want to hang around with such a dull person lacking personality and just sits there and dozes off. At least people who drink and those who smoke weed have some personality left in them. What I say may not be right, but this is my view... dont every try and correct me, I dont care much about your views if you attack me, but you're welcome to share those views (as long as you dont attack).

I mean, they still somewhat have a retained personality. Thing is, I dont like people who do stronger drugs like cocaine or the like is because I dont like people who are reliant on stimulants. Causes them to be more different from usual (for example, cocaine and meth are stimulants, which can cause you to stay up like crazy and make you clinically insane due to lack of sleep, which can affect behavior). I just dont agree with anything that can potentially cause psychological harm to a human being.

I know some friends who were consumed by drugs in college, and even they would agree with me that harder hitting drugs could fuck you up.

Which leads me to this...

I drink, but I dont do drugs or smoke. But I guess I can say this...

Jew fettishes, my anti-drug. Thank you Lisa Nova, thank you Sarah Silverman.

You have outlived your purpose

Oct 2007
    East Syracuse

Well Im sorry about misreading, my bad.

May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by boris13 View Post
    Well Im sorry about misreading, my bad.
    It's alright. Lots of people misread stuff on forums. My favorite moment was NiteWolf's explanation of EE and Spell Snare. He just miswrote it.

Quit ruining my thread, fuckers. No, I didn't want extra Empty the Warrens at all. I only won two games with it on sunday. I was happy with 6 protection maindeck because I did have 4 coming in from the sideboard if need be. How do you think I beat blue? Chant with a blast works everytime.

~Kirei sora no Kuraiyami~

Jun 2007

Well congrats.

It is sure an interesting read. (I like the actual magic part more than the background though.)

You havn't once used that Goblin War Strike that whole tournenment right?

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSkies View Post
    Well congrats.

It is sure an interesting read. (I like the actual magic part more than the background though.)

You havn't once used that Goblin War Strike that whole tournenment right?
    No, it's getting the axe for the Duress slot. I missed that slot a lot that event.

Change your sig.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Asshole

Jan 2004
    Chickenango

It's about time you did something with that crap deck.
    Survival will be good forever... kinda like a maraschino cherry.

~Kirei sora no Kuraiyami~

Jun 2007

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    No, it's getting the axe for the Duress slot. I missed that slot a lot that event.
    You mean Thoughtseize? Or do you actually mean Duress?

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSkies View Post
    You mean Thoughtseize? Or do you actually mean Duress?
    Probably Duress. I don't really think that there are a whole lot of creatures that would be bad for him (I mean, it's a combo deck, creatures don't really matter, right?).

Of course, being a combo deck, the 2 life is probably not that siginificant either, so maybe Thoughtseize is still the better choice here.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Probably Duress. I don't really think that there are a whole lot of creatures that would be bad for him (I mean, it's a combo deck, creatures don't really matter, right?).

Of course, being a combo deck, the 2 life is probably not that siginificant either, so maybe Thoughtseize is still the better choice here.

Why not Both?
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

There's two creatures that I care about Meddling Mage and Gaddeck Tegg or w.e his name is. They both come down before I'm willing to pay 3 mana on a Duress effect. There's also only one slot, not two for the same effect.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    They both come down before I'm willing to pay 3 mana on a Duress effect.
    Um...since when does Thoughtseize cost 3 mana? Are you thinking of Coercion?
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Thread Information