6 6.74%
  • English

19 21.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Pimp Language

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Re: Favorite Pimp Language

It's practically giving me an aneurysm (actually had to look that word up, go intarwebs for lernin me gooder) trying to decided between my favorites. I will willingly pimp from Korean, Japanese, S-Chinese, Russian, and German. But from those languages, I'm going to have to pick German, just because of some of the words are so awesome to pronounce.

As far as looks go, though, my Korean Tolarian Academy I recently parted with was my favorite card of all. It just looked so sophisticated.

Leroy Rochester
    Jun 2004
    Cabrini–Green

Japanese is number 1 in my book.

I really like Portuguese and Spanish as well.
    My only dream is that yours never come true.
    "People played violin as the Titanic sank. Tomorrow they will play Green Day songs with plastic keytars as their Hoovervilles burn."

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    or, if there were more than a single card with this, Latin.
    Which one is that? Atinlay Igpay doesn't count.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Catcher of souls, hunter of spirits
    Jan 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA

I'll say German, because it's pseudo-readable for English speakers, and because if I can ever manage to find some, my Winter Orbs will be Frostbringers. That just sounds epic.

Look, I'll let this pencil disappear...
    Jul 2007
    Germany, near Hamburg

English - I mean, WTF, I want to be able to read my cards O_o
    That latin card looks extremly hot. Are there any other cards printed in Latin? I generally like Spanish/Portugese and Italian, too. I mean "Miniera di gemma" and not Gemstone Mine.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

I like mine in German, Japanese, French, and Spanish. Korean looks good too, but hard to get.

But I think more Hebrew cards would be awesome.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Joon View Post
    That latin card looks extremly hot. Are there any other cards printed in Latin?
    No. This prerelease cards from Invasion were all printed in "ancient" languages. There is one in ancient Hebrew and one in ancient Greek.

I think they should do a PR card in Old English, but so few people know it nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

I'm a big fan of Italian, only because I'm an Italianophile.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

English. Anything else is annoying. That being said about half of my Relic Orb is Italian. It just sort of happened that way.

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

Russian. A lot of people double take on cards because it looks like they can be read, but then they realize it's in Russian. I also like to mix it up and get a play set of four different languages to confuse people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Also, this thread needs more drunk Peter Rotten.
    Team ICBE - We're so good at playing Threshold, we don't even play it.

Team Keg Stand - If only the kegs weren't empty...

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Normally I prefer to play with foil english cards. Most of the time I play with people not that interested in either Legacy or competive magic, so they lack a lot of knowledge of the cardpool.

Having the cards in english helps me smoothing out games.

However, since I started learning Japanese, I really like it for pimping purposes. I might build a japanese deck once, with only cards which aren't that complicated to understand (9-land stompy or something).

Overal, Japanese is my favored pimping language, but most of the time I go for functionality.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

German.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Russian for sure, aye. I love the Cyrrilic (sp) text.

With fear I kiss the burning darkness
    Feb 2007
    Germany

It is very interesting to see german as one of the prefered languages because to me as a german the german cards have always been too īnormalī. I have tried to go international and get english cards for value reasons, lol. Well, this opinion was built 11 years ago.

As īpimpī I prefer old cards, and try to simply get my deck black bordered. The great thing is we have got the 3rd edition black bordered here in germany. Thus I play basic lands, duals, and standard cards like Lightning Bolt, Dark Ritual, Hypnotic Specter,... from that edition.
    No rest for me
    No rest for you
    Damned to RockīnīRoll

-The Royal Five

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

On a different note, does anyone agree that French cards are incredibly ugly because of their lack of capitalization?
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    On a different note, does anyone agree that French cards are incredibly ugly because of their lack of capitalization?
    The language is incredibly ugly to begin with. "Language of love" my ass. It's like Latin went on an ego trip.

Oct 2006
    Chang Sha (China)

I'm not the only one thinking this way, but for me asian cards are cooler than English one. Everything else is way behind, whether French, German, Portugese, whatever. Within the asian languages strictly speaking, I also think Korean looks the best, but Japanese cards are usually the most expensive to get. I think this poll should give the option to vote for Korean.

Living in Shanghai, it is not difficult for me to pimp my decks in Chinese for more recent cards, foil when I can find them, but it is sometimes complicated (especially for Coldsnap).

It happened to me several times in real tournaments: judges were called because all my deck is in asian, and sometimes your opponent just won't believe your Jitte or SoFI is so powerful. Funny situations, but it does not happen that often.

I also don't understand the recent "hype", especially from sourcers, for German cards. I have my Necropotenz, Willenkrafts and a couple others. But I really cannot find it any superior to any other European languages. Maybe because I was traumatized in high school by some evil German teatchers. Maybe.

Anyway, despite being born French, I am probably the strongest anti French here (I didn't went living in Shanghai for no reason), but I would like to congratulate Nihil for his very relevant analysis of the French language. It sucks because of the lack of capitalization. Especially compared to English, Spanish, Portugese, etc.

Besides the overall "beauty" of the foreign card, knowing the language is always a plus. Speaking French, English, little German, and Chinese, It would make more sense for me to look for these. But Korean is sooo nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Delay is "Retard" in French. Good enough for me.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

This thread sucks. Mostly because what is considered Pimp is largely dependant on the set each card is from. For example:

Mirage - cannot get it in any asian language but Japanese, but looks sexy as fuck in said language. I would prefer Japanese over German any day.
    Alliances/Ice Age - German FTW. Gedankenwirbel.
    New sets - Foil is the best language. Do you speak shiny?

In general, the German language is cool because the names are rediculous and fun to mispronounce; plus "interrupt" is translated to "unterbrechenzauber" which takes up half the damn card.

Thread Information