Thread: About Storm triggers...

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

About Storm triggers...

When do we check the Storm count, before the storm triggered ability resolves? After?

I mean, if I play a spell in response to storm triggering, does it increase the storm count?
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Re: About Storm triggers...

Nope. When you play the spell, the storm count is checked at that number. It won't matter if you play a spell even before passing priority. You HAVE to play all the spells before you play the Storm spell.

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

Ok thanks, I was just thinking about swording a creature of mine to gain life after the opponent casts Tendrils...
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Here's the relevant ruling.

502.30.Ruling.1 - The number of copies is determined when this spell is played (announced) and only counts spells played (announced) before it was. Ones placed on the stack afterwards do not change this. [D'Angelo 2003/04/30]

So Deep6er is completely correct.

However, I personally think this is a hideously stupid rule that is completely counterintuitive to the structure of magic as we know it, and I think the storm trigger should check the spells played upon the trigger's resolution and not the spell's announcement. However, much to my surprise, this is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

It's better to quote rules rather than "rulings". Magic (for the most part) works from rules.

502.30. Storm

502.30a. Storm is a triggered ability that functions on the stack. "Storm" means "When you play this spell, put a copy of it onto the stack for each other spell that was played before it this turn. If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for any of the copies."
    Note "each other spell that was played before it this turn". It's all in the wording of the ability.

If it had said "each other spell played this turn", it would work as you might think it would. You can't somehow go back in time and play spells before a spell, though.

It might be counter-intutive to some people (it isn't to me), but do you need Storm to be even more absurd than it is? It's a pretty good bet they count the spells played before the Storm spell purely to keep the power level in check.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Feb 2007
    Worcester, MA

Storm would be way more insane then it already is if a Stifle and a Counter war played out after the Empty the Warrens increased the storm count of the warrens.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

No, Brain Freeze would be very very slightly better. In Legacy, decks that play EtW or Tendrils don't fight counterwars - except maybe for Pyroblast.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Thread Information