Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitch World

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Pitch World

So, earlier today I was Cube drafting with a teammate, and I came across the card Dream Halls. I began thinking, why cant every game of magic be like if I had Dream Halls on the table, then I realized: IT CAN BE!!!

So, I cooked up this deck, and its pretty fun, i tested versus Affinity on MWS, and it was unfavorable, but I won one game by Commandeering a lethal Fling, pitching 2 Misdirections. I realize I could have just used Misdirection, but its much funner winning with a crappy Coldsnap rare than a decent Masques rare!

Without further ado, the list:

EDIT: Decklist before Worlds:

// Creatures
    4 [MM] Vine Dryad
    4 [SC] Karona, False God
    1 [OD] Atogatog
    1 [FUT] Sliver Legion
    1 [SC] Sliver Overlord
    1 [SH] Sliver Queen

// Spells
    4 [MM] Cave-In
    4 [MM] Misdirection
    4 [AL] Contagion
    4 [CS] Soul Spike
    4 [BOK] Sickening Shoal
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [CS] Commandeer
    4 [CS] Sunscour
    4 [BOK] Shining Shoal
    4 [AL] Pyrokinesis
    4 [MM] Unmask
    4 [IN] Coalition Victory

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of Singularity
    SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
    SB: 4 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 [MR] Chalice of the Void

EDIT on 12/9/07:

Apparently this archetype got some sort of attention from pros at worlds, and while to my knowledge no one played the deck, the pros did at least tweak it a bit, for reference here is the content (with no credit given to the original here) and list from WOTC's site, and

"Created by Mike Hron, Gabe Walls, and almost forced upon Chris McDaniels (a.k.a. "Star Wars Kid") for the actual tournament the deck's game plan is simple: use the White ManaBlue ManaBlack ManaRed ManaGreen Mana cards (any card that costs all five colors) and/or the high casting cost Red ManaBlue ManaBlack Mana legends to play the best alternative-cost spells the game has ever known. Playing spells with lands? Not this time, as the only lands the deck uses are 4 Maze of Ith to control the ground. Cave In serves as a Wrath of God against decks like Goblins, while Force of Will, Misdirection, and Unmask give the deck a certain level of disruption. The end game is usually on the backs of a Vine Dryad or Nether Spirit gone mad with Blazing Shoal + Dragon Tyrant.

But is the deck competitive? None of the pros wanted to stake their World Championships tournament on such a risky idea particularly with a lack of testing under their belts and opted to play other decks instead. What would have happened had they had just a few more days to test for the event? We may never know, but at least you can find out for yourself at your own local tournaments..."

lands
    4 x Maze of Ith
    mana cards
    4 x Dragon Tyrant
    4 x Garza Zol, Plague Queen
    4 x Karona, False God
    4 x Nicol Bolas
    creatures
    4 x Nether Spirit
    4 x Vine Dryad
    spells
    4 x Blazing Shoal
    4 x Cave-In
    4 x Coalition Victory
    4 x Force of Will
    4 x Misdirection
    4 x Pyrokinesis
    4 x Soul Spike
    4 x Unmask

A few of these changes, particularly Nether Spirit and Maze of Ith seem very potent, and I will edit in a current list shortly.

EDIT2: Current Decklist after Worlds:

// Lands
    4 [DK] Maze of Ith

// Creatures
    4 [SC] Karona, False God
    4 [MM] Vine Dryad
    4 [LRW] Horde of Notions
    4 [MR] Ornithopter
    4 [FUT] Street Wraith
    4 [CHK] Myojin of Infinite Rage
    2 [OD] Atogatog

// Spells
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [MM] Unmask
    4 [MM] Cave-In
    4 [BOK] Sickening Shoal
    4 [IN] Coalition Victory
    4 [CS] Soul Spike
    4 [BOK] Blazing Shoal
    1 [AL] Pyrokinesis
    1 [BOK] Shining Shoal

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
    SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of Singularity
    SB: 4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt

So yeah...go look those cards up if you need to. I think this deck may need moar Snapbacks, what do you guys think? Oh and some explanations: The deck works by pitching cards, often 5color Slivers, to your other spells of the same color to answer whatever your opponent does, and hopefully eventually win the game with Vine Dryads, Shining Shoal, Cave-In, Soul Spike, or perhaps a timely Commandeer. I think this deck wants to draw first, since it is mostly reactive and a card disadvantage machine after all. The MD disruption of Force of Will and Unmask makes this seem not too awful against Combo, and Cave-In deals with EtW tokens nicely, if only there was a better clock that was FREEEEEEEEEEE...

ANY COMMENTS/ADVICE APPRECIATED!!!
    Last edited by Bovinious; 12-12-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Re: Pitch World

You would need something else to deal dmg to a player. 4 Soul Spikes + 4 Cave Ins + 4 Shining Shoals won't come out fast enough i think.

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

How do you won games?

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Vine Dryad, plus you can also Commandeer something big if you get the chance.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Holy card disadvantage batman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

May 2007
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    Holy card disadvantage batman!
    SHRUG IT OFF, CHAMP
    Team The Copenhavers - CAN'T SEE THE GOBLINS FOR THE GOYFS
    Scragnoth149: I SHALL RIDE INTO TOP8, AND SOLIDARITY SHALL BE MY INSTANT SPEED STEED

Looks like a cool deck. I had something similar once, and it was a blast to play. Quick question though:

I only count 56 cards. Is that because you couldn't find something or you forgot to add another card?

Regardless, I'd suggest some kind of split. Maybe 1 Blazing Shoal (for vine dryad), 3 Last Stand/Cromat/Atogatog? Maybe Snapbacks?

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Theres 4 Unmask in the list, ill edit that in, I must have failed at copy+paste or something :( . Optimally itd be 2 of each of the 6 5-color cards I guess for Therapy, but itd be infinitely cooler to be playing 12 slivers, imo. Id like to add some Snapbacks, and some possible SB options are Leyline of the Void and Leyline of Singularity, not sure what else though.

You, sir, have broken the format.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Maybe one of those cards does more than I remember, but how do you cast the creatures? You say that Vine Dryad is a win condition, but I can't see how you cast it. =/

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

You remove a green card in your hand from the game, optimally a 5color Sliver but it could be a 2nd Vine Dryad.

EDIT: I should edit in some explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    You remove a green card in your hand from the game, optimally a 5color Sliver but it could be a 2nd Vine Dryad.

EDIT: I should edit in some explanations.
    This is the decklist that I see:

// Creatures
    4 [FUT] Sliver Legion
    4 [SH] Sliver Queen
    4 [MM] Vine Dryad
    4 [SC] Sliver Overlord

// Spells
    4 [MM] Misdirection
    4 [AL] Contagion
    4 [CS] Soul Spike
    4 [BOK] Sickening Shoal
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [MM] Cave-In
    4 [CS] Commandeer
    4 [CS] Sunscour
    4 [BOK] Shining Shoal
    4 [AL] Pyrokinesis
    4 [MM] Unmask

None of those gives you the option of either removing a green card or playing a creature. I'm really lost on this one. I understand that you can remove the slivers to pay for the pitch cards, but how do you actually cast the Dryad which you say is there as a win condition? Sorry, I'm just really lost.

EDIT: VINE Dryad. Not Quirion Dryad. Problem solved. Proceed.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Vine Dryad:

Oracle text:
    Flash
    Forestwalk
    You may remove a green card in your hand from the game rather than pay Vine Dryad's mana cost.

You never actually cast the 5color Slivers, they are there purely to fuel the other 48 cards, the pitch spells, in the deck. I didnt not make this explicitly clear at first which was my mistake, and I have editted the first post accordingly. The Vine Dryad can be casted via removing one of the Slivers, and several of the spells in the deck do damage as well. Commandeer can also potentially be a beating.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

This would be hot if you got to use a Chronatog avatar. But you don't.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    I dont get it.

May 2007
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    I'll bite.
    Team The Copenhavers - CAN'T SEE THE GOBLINS FOR THE GOYFS
    Scragnoth149: I SHALL RIDE INTO TOP8, AND SOLIDARITY SHALL BE MY INSTANT SPEED STEED

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    Vine Dryad:

Oracle text:
    Flash
    Forestwalk
    You may remove a green card in your hand from the game rather than pay Vine Dryad's mana cost.

You never actually cast the 5color Slivers, they are there purely to fuel the other 48 cards, the pitch spells, in the deck. I didnt not make this explicitly clear at first which was my mistake, and I have editted the first post accordingly. The Vine Dryad can be casted via removing one of the Slivers, and several of the spells in the deck do damage as well. Commandeer can also potentially be a beating.

Nonono, I get all that. I thought my last post above made it clear that I was thinking of Quirion Dryad for some reason, and it made me horribly confused.

Other than that small confusion, I think it's glaringly obvious that everything is meant to be pitched--no fault of yours.

~Kirei sora no Kuraiyami~

Jun 2007

Why are you using only the Sliver Legends? An expirate could hurt you... not like that matters.

There are plenty of other 5 color cards you can use instead of Sliver Legends. Maybe have 1 of each of those cards, totaling 12?

Maybe if you put Dryad Arbors and Vine Dryads, you can alternative cast a Delraich? (Or maybe not)

Really funny deck idea though.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

There are 11 cards that have WUBRG in their mana cost, so 1 of each and a random 12th would probably be a better configuration. Im not even sure 12 is the right number os WUBRG cards to run, I just put 4 of each pitch spell that didnt suck in and made the rest WUBRG cards heh.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Would the Legates be feasible sideboard options? Killing with just Vine Dryad seems sort of horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Thread Information