Thread: Brainstorm + Words of worship

Brainstorm + Words of worship

How do these two interact? Can I brainstorm and activate Words of worship to gain 15 life for and put two cards in my hand on the top of my library? What if I have no cards in hand, does this still work?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Re: Brainstorm + Words of worship

Quote Originally Posted by ssilver View Post
    How do these two interact?
    Exactly the way you think they do.

Can I brainstorm and activate Words of worship to gain 15 life for and put two cards in my hand on the top of my library?
    Yes.

What if I have no cards in hand, does this still work?
    Yes.

Words of Worship 2W
    Enchantment
    {1}: The next time you would draw a card this turn, you gain 5 life instead.
    Brainstorm U
    Instant
    Draw three cards, then put any two cards from your hand on top of your library.
    419.1a. Effects that use the word "instead" are replacement effects. Most replacement effects use the word "instead" to indicate what events will be replaced with other events...
    413.2b. The controller of the spell or ability follows its instructions in the order written. However, replacement effects may modify these actions.
    416.3. If an effect attempts to do something impossible, it does only as much as possible.
    A replacement effect can replace any effect that creates what it replaces. The replacement effect will only replace the part of the effect it replaces.

Brainstorm becomes "Gain 5 life, gain 5 life, gain 5 life, then put any two cards from your hand on top of your library."

There's no requirement that you have any cards in hand - you can certainly play Brainstorm with no cards in hand with a Future Sight, Mind's Desire, Yawgmoth's Will, or whatever. In fact, you don't have to have any cards in your library either.
    Last edited by cdr; 10-30-2007 at 07:46 PM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Akki View Post
    A replacement effect can replace any effect that creates what it replaces. The replacement effect will only replace the part of the effect it replaces.
    I knew he'd come along and give you the judgy ruling in a bit. I just wanted to give you the sense of it while you were waiting (Akki, do you have the entire Comp Rules memorized? I mean can you immediately point out which section of the rules any given ruling can be found in?)

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

The wonders of the information age: the pressure of two small plastic keys can convincingly emulate a savant's memorization ability.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    The wonders of the information age: the pressure of two small plastic keys can convincingly emulate a savant's memorization ability.
    SIGGED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    "It's like Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex (and Lava Dart watched)" - Pinder, on stifled fetchlands.

Ctrl+f does help, but I do have a pretty good idea of where most common things are found. The challenge is finding the relevant or most relevant section.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Also, if I have words of (fill in the blank), in play, and I also have sylvan library in play, if I replace the draws with words of war per say, do I have to pay 8 life??

May 2007
    NoVA

Also, if I have words of (fill in the blank), in play, and I also have sylvan library in play, if I replace the draws with words of war per say, do I have to pay 8 life??
    no, you didn't draw any cards.
    Team The Copenhavers - CAN'T SEE THE GOBLINS FOR THE GOYFS
    Scragnoth149: I SHALL RIDE INTO TOP8, AND SOLIDARITY SHALL BE MY INSTANT SPEED STEED

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Oprah View Post
    no, you didn't draw any cards.
    But you have to replace all the draws for this to work.

Thread Information