Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nov. 1st DTBF update and changes to the current system

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Nov. 1st DTBF update and changes to the current system

Based on Adept and Member suggestions, we - the Mod staff - are planning a change to the site's DTB philosophy. Barring any massive upheaval or vehement disagreements, this change will be implemented for the November 1st update.

Found below are the changes briefly summarized. I will be updating the relevant posts in the DTBF about the qualifications for DTBs, DTWs, and ATWs.

1. 33+ players and 6 rounds for a tourney to qualify for inclusion (already implemented for the Oct. update)
    2. Remove the "American Clause." All Non-American tournies and T8s will count as much as American ones.
    3. DTB = 5 placements out of last 10 tournaments.
    4. DTW = 3 placements out of last 10 tournaments.
    5. ATW = 3 placements out of last 10 tournaments.

This method is a bit of a trial. We'd like to bill this as an experiment to make the DTBF as relevant as possible for all Legacy players. These changes allow a larger sample size (10 tournies instead or 6) and allow American and non-American tournies to influence the DTBF equally.

So... any last comments or concerns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Re: Nov. 1st DTBF update and changes to the current system

I heartily endorse this product and/or service.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006
    The Netherlands, Nijmegen

Nice.

I'm pretty sure that we can take LFTL-based decks out of the LMF, and that, should we do the math, Thresh won't be a deck to beat. Maybe I'm wrong - I know that there wasn't one in the EPIC DLD (read: I'm pretty sure...), and Europe seems more prone to weird UWb agro-control.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Who among the mods and adepts wants credit for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    I'll take credit for it, if and only if, it turns out to be a good idea.

Otherwise, I had nothing to do with it.
    Not that I actually had anything to with it in the first place.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

You're a genius. There, are you happy now? Congratulations, you egotist, you've gotten the credit you think is so goddamn important.

Satisfying your narcissism is obviously more important than accurate representation of the metagame.

Edit - Warning for Flames. ~ Nightmare.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Actually, I was really wondering who has taken on the idea of global Legacy all of a sudden, since the idea was not well-received.

I am concerned about getting credit for my ideas. If I were actually involved in the "representation of the metagame" at this site, I would care about it. Otherwise what incentive do I have?

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Wait did Nightmare just give HIMSELF a warning? Im confused...

This whole change sounds like the same as the old system but w/o the American bias, well see how it turns out Im guessing itll be even less accurate than the current/old system, love to be shown wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This whole change sounds like the same as the old system but w/o the American bias, well see how it turns out Im guessing itll be even less accurate than the current/old system, love to be shown wrong though.
    The American bias was where the problem was last time. Now it's fixed.

I'm curious what you mean by "less accurate." The new system is generating it's results using more information. More info=more accuracy.

My only concern is that the numbers for DTB/DTW/ATW status might need some revising down the line if we end up with a barren DTB forum.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Bryant Cook

I very much like this.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Well if its like LonelyBaritone said and Thresh doesnt make it in, that would make the DTBF far less accurate of what is actually good, and if marginal stuff like Aluren/Fish/Survival/LFTL etc are all in that would be even more inaccurate, in my opinion. Maybe it would be backed by numbers, but wouldnt be meaningful to anyone b/c no one plays in the global metagame, which doesnt even really exist anywhere.

If thresh doesn't make it in, it doesn't mean the system is inaccurate, it just means the threshold (no pun intended) for being a DTB is too high.

As for "marginal" stuff like Aluren, Fish, SotF, etc are making it in; they've been putting up the numbers. As such, they should be put in. I remember having this conversation last month. "I don't think it's good enough" wasn't a valid argument then, and it isn't a valid argument now. Hence why I pretty much dropped the "Goblins should be there" argument.

I think people are taking the word "metagame" much too seriously in this context. In fact, I think metagame shouldn't be used at all. I've been saying this for a long time- the DTB forum should be the place where all the decks, worldwide, putting up solid numbers are consolidated into one place.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Well yeah those decks would be putting up numbers, but the collective information wouldnt really be useful to people who live in areas where some of those decks dont place. I guess it will still be useful as a pooling of the data, and no one really uses the DTBF as a crutch to determine what decks they need to worry about/consider playing, so Im more than willing to see how it turns out, should be interesting...

Are you the real Batman?
    Jun 2006
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This whole change sounds like the same as the old system but w/o the American bias
    Don't you mean East Coast bias? I mean San Diego has tourneys large enough to be DLDs, and we have them weekly... Yet I still don't see 4 COlor Landstill have its own DTB thread neither Dreadnought Burn, Reanimator, or Scepter Chant. I don't want to get into a East vs. West battle, but just because few here post on the Source, due to reasons that shall not be named, doesn't make their decks still not DTB. If you take your Global DTB philosophy and apply it to different regions around the world it would be different. So, I hear that Ichorid and Death&Taxes are tearing up metagames like no other but I've never seen either deck played in real life here. Therefore, are they ALL decks to beat? In my opinion, YES they are. I think it should be organized as a mindset so I have to beat deck a, deck b, and deck c, if I want to be the best. No matter where a is, wherever b is, etc. What I'm asking is this: Is the DTB forum going to be a list of the top decks throughout the regions of the world? or rather, Any deck that follows the 5 points you established? Thanks, I'm not provoking flames, just thought.
    This is my Signature

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Why 33+ players? Why not 40+? Or 50+?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    I've been saying this for a long time- the DTB forum should be the place where all the decks, worldwide, putting up solid numbers are consolidated into one place.
    Well, that is what we have, now, and I'm glad you're happy with it. However, the stated goal of the LMF is something considerably different:

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA View Post
    Ideally, the DTBF should provide a reasonably accurate model for creation of a testing gauntlet when preparing for an unknown metagame at a large, competitive tournament.
    The LMF is now less useful for this purpose than it was before. I suppose it has been decided that this is for the best, but the LMF Philosophy needs to be re-written to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rack View Post
    Don't you mean East Coast bias? I mean San Diego has tourneys large enough to be DLDs, and we have them weekly...
    This is pretty absurd. There has never been any East Coast bias, whatsoever. I can assure you that whenever the data has been available, it has been included in the analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    Why 33+ players? Why not 40+? Or 50+?
    IIRC, 33 players is the minimum for a six-round Swiss tournament, under DCI rules.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

YES! Yet another chance to quote myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Genius View Post
    Based on Adept and Member suggestions, we - the Mod staff - are planning a change to the site's DTB philosophy.
    Actually, I was really wondering who has taken on the idea of global Legacy all of a sudden, since the idea was not well-received.
    Here, again, is a problem with how you say things. What do you mean by "all of a sudden." Not well received? I thought we had an interesting debate about it.

I am concerned about getting credit for my ideas. If I were actually involved in the "representation of the metagame" at this site, I would care about it. Otherwise what incentive do I have?
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you implying that the changes to the DTBF were your ideas and you are not being properly credited? If so, I'd like to direct you to this post, this post, and this post which specifically mention issues with the old method of devaluing non-American tournies.

If not, then I apologize for wasting your time asking you to click those links.

@ ObFree: Could you eloborate as to how the DTBF will be less usefull for its stated purpose now?

@ lack of West Coast data: Put simply, we would be happy to include the SD tournies if they provided deck lists of the T8s. Lists are required for a T8's inclusion in the DTBF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Are you the real Batman?
    Jun 2006
    San Diego

THe problem PR is that the tourney we play in being FNM basically doesn't require Deck lists. So I don't really feel up to the task of asking everyone their deck lists unless of course they were one of my teammates lists. Ten we'd share. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    This is my Signature

Thread Information