Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Boros Deck Wins

Well Known For Being Well-Known
    Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

[Deck] Boros Deck Wins

Hi, I'm a new poster but I lurked this forum for quite a long time..
    please forgive my english, 'cause I'm from Italy.

I'd like to post my boros deck list with card by card analysis,
    because I belive that Boros deck can actually WIN in legacy.

please feel free to comment (or to demonstrate that boros will never be competitive!)

ok, let's start:

4 Lightning Helix
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Magara of Corondor
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Isamaru, hound of Konda
    4 Goblin Legionnaire
    4 Savannah Lions
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Silver Knight
    2 Jotun Grunt
    2 Char
    4 Knight of Meadowgrain

4 Plateau
    4 Sacred Foundry
    3 karakas
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    6 Fetchlands

SB:
    4 Tormod's crypt
    4 Orim chant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Cryoclasm

now card by card:

4 Lightning Helix
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Char

Looks to me like a good burn base.
    i really love Helix, bolt is an auto 4 of and about char..
    i love it when It brings Jotun, Werebear, shades &co to the 'yard.
    notice that i play in a MASSIVE aggro meta.
    Lot of White Weenie, Pikula and Affinity

4 Magara of corondor
    actually I love Mangara, He (she?) can help me removing every treath,
    while chump blocking and play with karakas to combo.
    sometime I use it to attack (and humiliate my opponent ofc )

2 Jitte
    This deck is very creatures based, so jitte is an auto include..
    also my meta is full of jitte, so i can use mine to destroy other's.
    (also there is sinergy with karakas)

2 Isamaru, hound of Konda
    same as above, is just plain a good card and works perfectly with karakas.

4 Goblin Legionnaire
    I love it, he is Mogg's Big Bro, he is always a threat, auto 4 of in a boros deck.

4 Savannah Lions
    2/1 for W. Vanilla with Sharp Teeth (tm) !!

4 Mogg Fanatic
    I just don't know, atm I like them to ista_kill Confidant
    but I think that 2 Javeliners and 2 lava dart would provide card advantage while being more solid. I just don't know..

4 Silver Knight
    auto 4 of. they survive very good, they are solid and usefull.
    there is a dedicated slot to "drop 2 knight everlasting"..
    I just don't know if I must drop silver knight for Blood Knight, White Knight, Holy Nimbus etc...

2 Jotun Grunt
    they beat hard, and they are just 2.
    I know, maybe this is not the right choice, maybe this is not a 2X..
    Hope this forum helps!

4 Knight of Meadowgrain
    Testing them resulted in a lot of "win more" situations.
    they are good, but less reliable. Colour protected knights maybe will be a better choice. Maybe Vial could serve me good too.

4 Plateau
    4 Sacred Foundry
    3 Karakas
    3 Flagstones of trokair
    6 Fetchlands

About manabase.. I dropped wastelands: This deck is too much colour dependent.. also i removed 4 molten rain because I'd rather punch my opponent turning my creatures sideway than destroy his manabase.
    flagstones are just a test, while 3 karakas are very good:
    I have to protect myself from cataclysm and sink hole,
    while bouncing opponent's Jitte and my Isamaru back.

SB:
    Here is where I need help the most.
    my meta is full of pikula, white weenie, with some red burn, solidarity and affinity..
    So I think that cryoclasm, orim and swords to plowshares are just great..

------

About other cards I would like to try but I haven't tested yet:

-4 Aether vial
    -4 Holy Nimbus/Blood Knight/Black Knight/ any cool drop 2
    -4 Soltary priest (actually I don't like them much..)
    -4 Oblivion Ring (Better than Mangara?? )
    -4 Pillage/molten rain (they look like the best land disrupt)

also I have to emphasize that I's love to keep my deck as a 2 color deck.
    (so NO please don't tell me how good B for confidant and U for brainstorm are good.. I know it, i just want to make the best Boros deck for my gameplay and my meta)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,
    Andrew "Rhino" Rossi.
    Last edited by Rinello; 10-29-2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Capitalization
    Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Re: Boros Deck Wins

First of all welcome to the source! Just so ya know this prob. belongs in the New Deck Forum.

I love playing BDW (Boros Deck Wins), I played it at GP Columbus to an 5-4 match record. I lost to Flash, Fish, Belcher, and Random Deck w/ main Board Worship and Silver Knights. I beat Burn, Goblins, Flash, Dead Guy Ale, and Bad Sliver Aggro. I know my list is closer to Zoo then BTW, but adding green is amazing. Your list looks ok but needs some improvment. Here is the list I ran at the GP and at Kadi's DLD 2:

4 Kird Ape
    3 Watchwolf
    3 Isamaru, hound of Konda
    3 Savannah Lions
    3 Jotun Grunts
    3 Silver Knight

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Fireblast
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Platue
    2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Wasteland
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain

If I was going to play this deck again it would look something like this:

4 Kird Ape
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Savannah Lions
    3 Jotun Grunts
    3 Samurai of the Pale Curtain

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Fireblast

4 Platue
    2 Savannah
    3 Taiga
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Wasteland
    1 Plains
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

~Kirei sora no Kuraiyami~

Jun 2007

For the Thread creator's list...

Where are the Chain Lightning and Fireblast?
    Mangara seems like out of place in the Boros Deck...

Your Karakas are basically useless unless you draw a Mangara.

In an environment of Swords to Plowshares, wouldn't Blood Knight also be good?

Also, just because you are from Italy doesn't mean you can't follow capitalization rules. Apparently, capitalization for proper names in Italian is similar to English, at least described here: http://www.amadioinc.com/news01Q1.pdf
    Last edited by ClearSkies; 10-29-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

@ Sacearuse:
    Thank You!
    I really liked your Boros/Zoo RWG list, particularly Kird Ape and Tarmogoyf (Tarmo is a big menace, with no drawback) but I want to try the RW version a lot (with different lists) before changing to 3 color based deck.
    I'll try as soon as possible with 4 chain lightning and 2 fireblast,
    but I'd like to keep my deck full of creatures.
    What can I kick out of the deck? Char and Mangara?
    Char => 2 Fireblast seems fair.
    but what about Mangara? is THAT bad? To me he's like a Mini_Vindicate..

@ClearSkies:
    As You Can See From My First Post,
    My name is Andrew and my Nickname Rinello: Hello!
    Chain Lightning and Fireblast are, as You can see, OUT of my list.
    Thank You for the notice! I'll try them both very soon, as Sacearuse also pointed out, they are a self include in a Boros Deck
    (4X Chain Lightning and 2X fireblast)
    About Karakas, as i said before, I think they are nice against some land removal, as a legendary permanent bounce (Jitte) and as a protection for my legendary creatures (Isamaru, Hound of Konda).
    Blood Knight? Is very very good and I think I'll kick kithkin knight out for them.

Also, I am from Italy and I intend to use Your Capitalization rules as much as I can, trust me.
    I'll never break a rule so important, I'll do my best, just have a little more patience, that's it.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....

Karakas' new Oracle Text says that it only bounces legendary creatures. It's still a good card, but probably not in Boros.

Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

@Rinello

Just so you know man, Nickrit2000 and I have both played a lot of Boros in Standard and Extended, I am the only one who has played it in Legacy. Adding green to the deck makes it so much better. Kird Ape is amazing and Tarmogoyf is, well its Tarmogoyf. If you want to run a st8 R/W Boros deck then try this:

4 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
    4 Goblin Legionnaire
    3 Savannah Lions
    3 Soltari Priest
    2 Jotun Grunts

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Fireblast
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Platue
    2 Sacred Foundry
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Plains
    2 Mountain

Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Sacearuse View Post
    @Rinello

Just so you know man, Nickrit2000 and I have both played a lot of Boros in Standard and Extended, I am the only one who has played it in Legacy. Adding green to the deck makes it so much better. Kird Ape is amazing and Tarmogoyf is, well its Tarmogoyf. If you want to run a st8 R/W Boros deck then try this:

4 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
    4 Goblin Legionnaire
    3 Savannah Lions
    3 Soltari Priest
    2 Jotun Grunts

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Fireblast
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Platue
    2 Sacred Foundry
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Plains
    2 Mountain

I'll try it very soon with green! 2 bad I sold my 4 tarmo (needed some ca$h) so now will be VERY hard to find them..

About your list: looks solid and fast, but I would like to know why Samurai of The Pale Courtain and Soltari Priest are better than Silver knight.
    Also: Is Grim Lavamancer a bad choice? (obv if I don't play Samurai of The Pale Courtain) and what about aether vial?
    Thank You.

@ Kuja: THANK YOU now I know that karakas is near useless :)
    1 more flagstone and some basic lands will do fine i guess!

Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

I forgot about Lavamancer, he goes in place of the 4 x Goblin Legionnaire. The Samurai of the Pale Curtain are amazing against so many decks, Combo is an auto loss for you so The Samurai are a big help. The Priest is a personal prefrance, silver knight fits too. You need to be running Orm's Chant or Abaynce in the board too. Goblin Legionnaire is nice in Extended BDW, not in Legacy though.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSkies View Post
    Also, just because you are from Italy doesn't mean you can't follow capitalization rules. Apparantly, capitalization for proper names in Italian is similar to English according to here: http://www.amadioinc.com/news01Q1.pdf
    The first instance should be an e, and the second instance would be better as this.

I always find it amusing when someone corrects another's spelling or grammar, and makes those same mistakes while doing so.

In the future, please proofread your post before hitting the submit reply button.

Anyway, I'm not so sure the Sacred Foundries are necessary, nor the full 8 fetch lands. Also, seeing as the curve is really low, is there room for Wasteland here, or will it just get in the way? It seems to have enough mana sources to support it, but I can imagine that a Wasteland and a Plateau in your first seven would be annoying if you wanted to get that Goblin Legionnaire or SotPC out on turn two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    The wonders of the information age: the pressure of two small plastic keys can convincingly emulate a savant's memorization ability.
    "It's like Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex (and Lava Dart watched)" - Pinder, on stifled fetchlands.

Jun 2007

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    The first instance should be an e, and the second instance would be better as this.

I always find it amusing when someone corrects another's spelling or grammar, and makes those same mistakes while doing so.

In the future, please proofread your post before hitting the submit reply button.

Anyway, I'm not so sure the Sacred Foundries are necessary, nor the full 8 fetch lands. Also, seeing as the curve is really low, is there room for Wasteland here, or will it just get in the way? It seems to have enough mana sources to support it, but I can imagine that a Wasteland and a Plateau in your first seven would be annoying if you wanted to get that Goblin Legionnaire or SotPC out on turn two.
    Actually, they aren't the same. Anyways...

If you haven't noticed, barely any of the spells have colorless mana in their cost. Wasteland would seem like a bad idea here since it only produce colorless. Outside of Jitte, Wasteland can't use the colorless mana for anything.

Seems like Wasteland is a tempo lost to me.

Hello, I just join this forum as it is so informative.

Stick to the thread, I really like playing with Boros Deck, but I prefer the build which is closed to Sligh. In my experience (so far causal), I think the most successful part of the deck is its lightning fast speed which composed of cheap creatures and burn. Every time I just need to deal 8-10 damages with my dudes and burn the rest.

Here is my build of Boros,

Creatures (24)
    4 Savannah Lions
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Goblin Legionnaire
    4 Isamaru, hound of Konda
    4 Dark Confidant

Burn (16)
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Fireblast
    4 Lightning Helix

Others (2)
    2 Engineered Explosives <-- can be everything

Mana (18)
    10 Fetches <-- fuel Lavamancer and thin deck
    4 Plateau
    1 Badland
    1 Scrubland
    2 Mountain

No StP please, I don't want to see my opponent gain any life, and Jittle is very strong but a bit slow for me. Green splash for Tarmogoyf is fetching but still not as worth as Bob for me. This deck is close to the old theory/ convention of Sligh, with a third creature/ burn/ lands ratio, counting some 'burn' creture. My build is far from perfect and I believe this deck has much room to improve.

Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jsang View Post
    Hello, I just join this forum as it is so informative.
    No StP please, I don't want to see my opponent gain any life, and Jittle is very strong but a bit slow for me. Green splash for Tarmogoyf is fetching but still not as worth as Bob for me. This deck is close to the old theory/ convention of Sligh, with a third creature/ burn/ lands ratio, counting some 'burn' creture. My build is far from perfect and I believe this deck has much room to improve.
    The Deck Needs STP, the little bit of life it might give your opponent is ok when you look at the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    You obviously don't know the history of BDW. The Extended versions of this deck run 12 Fetch Lands to 8 fetchable lands. The fetch's thin the deck way out, it allows you to draw the needed creatures and/or burn spells to win the game. Extended is where this deck gained it's popularity and where it thrived. Wasteland is a bad idea here due the the abundance of spells.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

I played a deck very similar to this at a tournament and he splashed black for confidant and duress out of the board with orims chant for the combo matchup. With thoughtseize now legal I think this could be an ok choice for a random tournament.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

@ Blitz:
    First of all Thank You for reading and reaply.
    Foundry are necessary because they allow me to drop a Goblin Legionnaire or a Knight on the second turn. Imagine against Pikula (sometimes is the same against Affinity or Vial White Weenie or Goblin) :
    turn1: Land, Isamaru, go. (Best scenario)
    Pikula turn 1: Scrubland, Ritual, Specter/Confidant/Nantuko Shade/Tourach/SinkHole AND Duress.

If I don't drop a Threat on turn 2, I make me turn 1 drop near useless, because my opponent has been more efficent in his gameplay.
    Also as You said, a lot of times while using wasteland I was bored because my drop 2 were stuck in my hand.Also consider that there are just 20 land in the deck, and a "first seven" with fetch, plateau and wasteland is worse in my opinion that -fetch-plateau-5 cheap destructive card with a lot of drop 2 creatures.
    So as ClearSkies said before: "Seems like Wasteland is a tempo lost to me."
    This is true most of the time (but sometimes Wasteland shines as one of the most powerful cards in Legacy)

@ Sacearuse:
    About Samurai of the Pale Courtain.
    The Samurai of the Pale Curtain are amazing against so many decks, Combo is an auto loss for you so The Samurai are a big help.
    Can you please explain why is so great? (exept for it's "2/2 bushido 1 " skill, which is a great feat for this deck)
    The Deck Needs STP, the little bit of life it might give your opponent is ok when you look at the alternative.
    I tested Swords but I must suggest a scenario:
    a creature, lot of times with a thoughtness of 2 or 3 is turning sideway against me.
    I can 1) Burn her in great Sacred Pain of.. Dunno.. Helix OR
    2) Make her go harvesting the great field of .. y'know, Swords to Plowshares.

In scenario 1 I lost a Burn spell, useful also against my opponent.
    But in scenario 2 i have virtually lost TWO cards,because one is the burn spell /creature card that will re-balance the life gain to my opponent.
    Also if there are no creatures in the field (thanks to my first strike guys or to my gameplay forcing my opponent to chump block everything) a StP in my hand will sit in place for the rest of the match.

Anyway Swords to Plowshares is very good because allow me to "1_mana_get_out_forever_NOW" kill a tarmo or a giga_nantuko_shade, and they are clearly cards to consider, and it can kill a silver knight or a Soltari Priest, and is very cheap in mana cost.
    However I feel that most of the time a burn spell is just what it takes to send a Watchwolf to fetch some of his own bones.

Concluding if you think they are so great, and maybe they are in a Boros deck and of course I am wrong, you would suggest to put 4of in the Main?
    (this leads to the next topic.. Sideboard for my Meta?)
    Last edited by Rinello; 01-17-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Quote Originally Posted by Rinello View Post
    Samurai are a very good card with a very strange effect.
    But atm I can see it effective only against Flash and Crucible/Life from the loam decks...
    I LOL'd at that.

Maybe Samurai would be better off in the SB, since no way should you take out Grimmies. It's for Ichorid and Cephalid Breakfast (and Iggy Pop, if it sees play), since you were wondering.

StP should be in the SB as well, since a very aggressive deck never wants to give their opponent life in most situations. Goyfs can be outraced by the huge amount of burn and swarms of creatures that you run anyway. Side it in against reanimator, I guess.

Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by kicks_422 View Post
    I LOL'd at that.

Maybe Samurai would be better off in the SB, since no way should you take out Grimmies. It's for Ichorid and Cephalid Breakfast (and Iggy Pop, if it sees play), since you were wondering.

StP should be in the SB as well, since a very aggressive deck never wants to give their opponent life in most situations. Goyfs can be outraced by the huge amount of burn and swarms of creatures that you run anyway. Side it in against reanimator, I guess.
    Thank you for Lolling then!
    I was kinda "d'oh" when i read Ichorid..
    (about breakfast.. we don't have any in our zone atm and I don't know this deck much)
    about the rest.. I think you read my mind because I have 4 stp in my side atm and use char (now fireblast) to slay tarmo.

May 2007
    Ohio

Just to clear this up for everyone, Samurai of the pale curtain only removes permanents from the game if they hit the graveyard. Permanents are cards that are in play. Meaning samurai could help against Ill-Gotten Gains if the player intended to return a lotus petal or a lion's eye diamond to hand. However, the card would do nothing to the combo player if he returned sorceries and instants after playing Ill-Gotten Gains. Also, Samurai of the Pale curtain does nothing to Cephalid Breakfast since milling cards into your graveyard is not affected by Samurai.

Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

New List:

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lightning Helix
    2 Fireblast

4 Blood Knight
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Mangara <== testing
    4 Goblin Legionnaire (soon replaced by 4 silver knight)
    4 Lion
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    2 Isamaru
    2 Jotun Grunt

2 Jitte

Lands:

4 Plateau
    4 Sacred Foundry
    6 Fetchlands
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Battlefield Forge

SB:
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Orim Chant
    4 Disenchant
    2 Tormod's Crypt

I think this manabase must be changed, because I want to thin my lands while as soon as I have 2 or 3 in play but I also need W/R because all of the cards are colour specific.
    Also I don't know what to sideboard against White Weenie, Pikula, Solidarity and Affinity

Jun 2007

Mangara really doesn't seem to help your goal at all. It cost 3 mana for a 1/1 that sits there.

Isn't your Blood Knight + Jitte enough to kill White Weenies?

Are there alot of Pikula, Solidarity, and Affinity in your Meta?
    Well-timed Orim Chant and/or Red-elemental Blast could stop Solidarity.

Kataki, War's Wage might work... if Affinity is that relevant in your Meta.

Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

I hope Jitte and Blood knight will be enough against a WW player with Luck always on his side..

I'll try 4 Orim Chant and 4 Red Elemental Blast to stop combo and affinity.

About Mangara.. you are right, it sucks a lot,
    but I don't know what to use to destroy Jitte and/or Spectral Lynx or Nantuko Shade or Soltari Priest..
    Also I see Grim Lavamancer as a win more, like Jotun Grunt.
    But I guess I'm wrong, today I just tested against a "Stompy Pikula" (with Spectral Lynx)

Manabase Problem: Flagstones seems bad, Maybe 2 more fetch ?
    Is Battlefield Forge worth?

Thread Information