Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Boros Deck Wins

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Re: Boros Deck Wins

I have been looking at the current meta and have decided that this would be the build I would play. You really need to look at chant in the Main board, its amazing! I have seen Nickrit2000 play his extended version of BDW many times, Chant was/is always good, sometimes winning him a game. Magus of the moon wrecks most decks in the meta and can be devistating if timed right.

4 Silver Knight
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    3 Isamaru, hound of Konda
    3 Savannah Lions
    3 Jotun Grunts
    1 Magus of the Moon

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    4 Orm's Chant
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Platue
    2 Sacred Foundry
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Plains
    2 Mountain

SB:
    4 Pyroblast
    4 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
    4 Disenchant
    2 Magus of the Moon
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [Deck] Boros Deck Wins

Doesn't MD StP have a certain anti-synergy with your burn plan? Plus, what's your plan when facing Chalice or Counterbalance? Running something like Oblivion Ring or splashing black for Vindicate (among other things like Bob) sounds like a solution to this problem. I'm posting a list later when I have the time.

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

As much as I love this archetype, I really don't know just exactly what power level it carries. Other aggro decks that feature goyf really overpower all the creatures in this deck, meaning goyf will always result in a 2-for-1, and Boros can't afford that kind of damage.

I did a bit of research to see if there were actually any Boros decks that did well in tournaments, and I actually found a few (I wasn't expecting any at all). I think we should take a look at these list and follow their examples; they carry a few particular card choices that I see as very powerful in the current metagame. One card in particular is Price of Progress: undoubtedly the most dome damage you're ever going to get out of a 2cc burn spell. There are very few decks in the metagame that run solely on basic lands, so the card is rarely dead.

It's really late here, but you can find the decklists on germagic.de

Is it even a good strategy to fill your deck with one-drops at this point (Lions/Isamaru in particular)? I'm going to say no, since they'll just get stalled out by Goyfs and whatever, even with the burn you're running, and there are less Lackeys for them to block. (Look at the extended discussion of Carnophage/Sarcomancy in the Suicide Black thread for better reasons.)

Besides those creatures, what does white give you that green wouldn't? StP is a possibility but isn't synergistic with burn, as Barook mentioned. Jotun Grunt is hot, but so is Tarmogoyf. Lightning Helix is nice, sure, but Incinerate is good enough. Orim's Chant gives you a decent shot against combo, I suppose... I'm still not sure that the white splash is any good, though.

Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

Hi all. My first post in this community
    I played a lot with this deck and i suggest to use fireblast and price of progress.
    You need to be a fast as possible to win with white/red aggro so fireblast helps a lot and if you consider how many non-basic lands are used in this format Price of Progress it's really amazing.
    This is a list of my deck

8x fetchland
    4x plateau
    4x mountains
    4x plains

4x mogg fanatic
    4x savannah lion
    4x silver knight
    4x goblin legionnaire
    3x jotun
    3x isamaru

4x lightning bolt
    4x chain lightning
    4x lightning helix
    3x fireblast
    3x price of progress
    Fire walk with me.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Mesercus View Post
    Hi all. My first post in this community
    I played a lot with this deck and i suggest to use fireblast and price of progress.
    You need to be a fast as possible to win with white/red aggro so fireblast helps a lot and if you consider how many non-basic lands are used in this format Price of Progress it's really amazing.
    This is a list of my deck

8x fetchland
    4x plateau
    4x mountains
    4x plains

4x mogg fanatic
    4x savannah lion
    4x silver knight
    4x goblin legionnaire
    3x jotun
    3x isamaru

4x lightning bolt
    4x chain lightning
    4x lightning helix
    3x fireblast
    3x price of progress
    I like this build. It's very similiar to the build I worked on (minus the PoP) before I tried the splash black.
    But I would rework the manabase. You have way too many basics (even with PoP) and from my experience, you will get your problems with Silver Knight and/or Fireblast sometimes. I would cut down the basics to 2 Mountains and 1 Plains and replace the rest with additional fetchlands (which also happen to feed your Grunts). That worked for me.

Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

Thank you fo the advice i've tried a new manabase setup and works very well.
    Can support fireblast everytime

I tried also magus of the moon and i can say it's very bad here. It's a little slow for this deck and works only in the first round cause if the opponent leave one mana open for a stp in response or pay attention to counter it's useless.
    Fire walk with me.

3 Savannah Lions
    3 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    3 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Goblin Legionnaire
    4 Silver Knight
    4 Jotun Grunt
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    4 Incinerate
    3 Fireblast
    4 Plateau
    1 Sacred Foundry
    3 Wooded Foothills
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Flooded Strand
    2 Plains
    3 Mountains

15:
    4 Pyrostatic Pillar
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 StP
    4 Shattering Spree

I used that to top4 the columbus GPT a while back, pre-Flash. I think the meta has shifted back to where it used to be until that bomb dropped, so I figured I'd post this now and see what people thought. I lost in the semi's to Trinket/Angel with Swords and Jittes on a sideboarded Silver Knight, and I had run Orim's Chant over Swords to Plowshares in that tourney, and never saw a Shattering Spree games 2 or 3 that match. Regardless, it is quite a fun mindless deck, Jotun Grunt is randomly amazing, and the manabase is the worst for a 2 color deck ever thanks to Fireblast. Fetchlands are all different to keep from Pithing Needle nonsense, duh. Ten of them. What.

Also, Fireblast was *this close* to being Isochron Scepter, and having 4x Orim's Chant main. Because I'm a lucksack. I'd like to fix the board to adjust to the current meta, but I don't even know where to start. Thank you and good night.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The fairly obvious flaw in your reasoning is that Dark Ritual and Wild Cantor do produce mana. Pretending they don't won't change the function of the cards.

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

You know, honestly the marginal cost of adding green is almost zero (green adds Tarmogoyf), and black is only slightly more (Confidant, Duress, Therapy, Thoughtseize). It requires that you take away a little of your color requirements, but you add a good deal of combo defenses.

Such as:

4 Kird Ape
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    3 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Tribal Flames
    4 Lightning Helix
    3 Cursed Scroll
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    1 Savannah
    1 Badlands
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Mountain

Sideboard:

4 Meddling Mage
    4 Duress
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

The costs involved in translating from Boros Deck Wins to a full five colors are chiefly in the manabase. If you don't see probably two Wastelands in a game, you're going to have the ability to do pretty unfair things as aggro decks go. 5 damage for 2 mana is pretty good; Dark Confidant is pretty good; Kird Ape is pretty good. I'd rather play the better cards right now because I feel that the number of Wastelands I can expect to see is low.

~Kirei sora no Kuraiyami~

Jun 2007

Why cursed scroll and not Gaea's Might if you going to run one of those Domain Zoo decks?

Feb 2007
    San Diego

If oy uare going to be playing anything in this format that hopes to win through the attack phase, you need to be playing 4 Tarmogoyf... Here is a good list For San Diego Zoo, that is GRW... it is pretty solid.

4 Kird Ape
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Savannah lions
    4 Werebear

4 swords to plowshares
    4 chain lgithning
    4 seal of fire
    4 lightning helix
    4 lightning bolt

4 wooded foothills
    4 windswept heath
    3 plateau
    3 taiga
    3 savannah
    1 mountain
    1 forest
    1 plains

Sideboard//
    4 blood moon
    3 krosan grip
    4 tormod's crypt
    4 challice of the void

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

You: Gaea's Might for 5 targetting Boros Swiftblade.
    Them: Lightning Bolt/Swords to Plowshares in response
    You: *sad face*

I can get a lot of the power without opening myself up to an easy 2 for 1 with Gaea's Might.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

I agree that Gaea's Might is a bad choice - it was good in Extended because most spot removal in that format costs 2 - but I also think that Cursed Scroll is fairly underpowered, especially in a balls-to-the-wall aggro deck like this one. Unlikely to be used more than a couple of times, which is a horrible mana-to-damage ratio (If you have Silver Knights to kill everywhere, just don't play Zoo).

My pick for the slot would be some more fat creatures - other than Tarmogoyf, the rest of your force packs it to a Mongoose. The best creature is Jotun Grunt, but while I've seen Goyfs and Grunts live together in the same deck, I'd guess with Grim Lavamancer we'd be going too far. Quirion Dryad seems worth testing in a burn-heavy, four-colour deck like this one.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Well Known For Being Well-Known
    Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

Hello again!

new list:

// Lands
    4 [A] Plateau
    4 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
    2 [ON] Wooded Foothills
    2 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    2 [ON] Windswept Heath
    2 [ON] Flooded Strand
    2 [OD] Mountain (1)
    2 [OD] Plains (1)

// Creatures
    4 [TE] Mogg Fanatic
    4 [AP] Goblin Legionnaire
    3 [CHK] Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    4 [PLC] Blood Knight
    2 [CS] Jotun Grunt
    4 [8E] Savannah Lions

// Spells
    4 [R] Lightning Bolt
    4 [RAV] Lightning Helix
    2 [VI] Fireblast
    3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    4 [TSP] Sudden Shock
    2 [FD] Magma Jet

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [CS] Jotun Grunt
    SB: 3 [10E] Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 [PY] Abolish
    SB: 3 [SC] Pyrostatic Pillar
    SB: 2 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 4 [IA] Swords to Plowshares

I'd like to change SB and burn cards,
    keeping this deck WR boros.

Any idea?
    Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Here's a list I threw together for a friend some while ago and that actually worked out pretty nicely in testing:

Code:
    /// Mainboard (60 cards)

// Lands
        4 Plateau
        2 Sacred Foundry
        2 Mountain
        1 Plains
        2 Windswept Heath
        2 Flooded Strand
        2 Bloodstained Mire
        2 Wooded Foothills
        1 Barbarian Ring

// Creatures
        2 Savannah Lions
        4 Mogg Fanatic
        3 Grim Lavamancer
        4 Keldon Marauders
        4 Goblin Legionnaire
        2 Jotun Grunt
        4 Magus of the Moon

// Spells
        4 Lightning Bolt
        4 Chain Lightning
        4 Price of Progress
        4 Magma Jet

/// Sideboard (15 cards)
        4 Pyrostatic Pillar
        2 Engineered Explosives
        4 Orim's Chant
        2 Blood Moon
        3 Pyroclasm
    Now, really, don't play crap like Jitte, Sudden Shock and Lightning Helix that are just not aggressive enough. I've found in testing that many decks just can't cope with the amount of agro you put onto the board, especially not when backed up with the most efficient burn to finish the job.
    You are the aggro player in every matchup so don't try to control stuff, just throw threats at them until they can't handle them anymore and then procede to win... the key to winning against NQG is to be as agressive as possible, the key to winning the control matchup is to have as many relevant threats (read: that deal enough damage to distract their attention from your real bombs [PoP and Magus]) as possible.
    Often NQG will find itself at 10 life or so when they play the first relevant thing (creature or counterbalance) and from then on you can just outrace them and force them to handle every single threat you play. It's even better against control decks because they often have no way of dealing with Price of Progress especially not when combined with efficient creatures and more burn.
    To achieve above mentioned aggressiveness, every spell in the deck has to deal a maximum of damage, an exception to this is Magus of the Moon who is just too much of an 'I win card' not to run.
    I'm not sure about the number of Jotun Grunts and Grim Lavamancers yet but I definetely prefer the Lavamancer because Grunt often is only dead weight in the early game and so can seriously harm your aggresive strategy.

Some more cards to look into:
    - Gathan Raiders as a 2-3off (you are often hellbent and these are good as 5/5s for 3 I hear - I wouldn't include a full playset though as they cost 3 mana). I'd replace a Savannah Lions and a Grim Lavamancer with 2 of these to test them.

If you want to splash green, I don't see a reason to play this over Goyf Sligh.

Oct 2005
    Mass

I play a variant of "Boros" and have a few comments. Grim Lavamancer + Jotun is not good, pick one. Lightning Helix is very good and plenty aggressive enough, the life gain isn't always relevant but it owns in any sligh/burn match, helps versus aggro and sometimes even combo. I also play 3 Reckless Charge in my list, it works great w/ Marauders and Jotun along w/ the one drops, and flashback gives you steam.

It is not true you are always the aggro deck. When your creatures start to get outsized, playing defense with this deck is very effective. Most of the creatures on defense (Legionaire, Fanatic, and Maruaders) can blok and burn your opponent in the face while you topdeck burn for the kill.

I'm thinking that a PS of Spectral Lynx (with or without Black) is a must here, especially if you are worried about Goyf.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by largebrandon View Post
    I'm thinking that a PS of Spectral Lynx (with or without Black) is a must here, especially if you are worried about Goyf.
    Why should you be worried of Goyf? Decks packing Goyf tend to be really vulnerable to Magus of the Moon/Price of Progress and to your clock so that you can just ignore the big green guy and race them.
    Also there is a better solution to him already availble, on color, and not completely sucking power/cost wise: Jotun Grunt. He'll always be bigger than Goyf if he stays around for a turn or 2.
    Also Engineered Explosives out of the board is really nice against Goyf.deck (read: Threshold and other aggro-control).

Changes to above list:
    -1 Grim Lavamancer
    -1 Savannah Lions
    +1 Barbarian Ring (constantly hitting 3 mana on turn3 is essential)
    +1 Gathan Riders (late game beef)
    Last edited by diffy; 07-02-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Countryside Crusher in here? Never drawing lands seems good...

Look, I'll let this pencil disappear...
    Jul 2007
    Germany, near Hamburg

Holy Necro Batman of Doom

I'm curious if this deck could be tuned to be effective in the current metagame.
    After sketching some ideas, I came up with the following list:

4 Plateau
    4 Sacred Foundry
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains

4 Savannah Lion
    3 Isamaru
    4 Keldon Marauders
    4 Jotun Grunt
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    3 Magus of the Moon

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Fireblast

4 Chant
    4 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Disenchant

It worked out pretty solid, REALLY straight Aggro, no Lavamancer as is a) slow and hasn't got good synergies with Tarmogoyf(def)eater Jotun Grunt. After thinking about the deck and testing it I found Magus to be a bit too clunky. 2/2 for 3 Mana isn't what this deck is opting for, so I searched Critter that could be played in this slot and I came up with Goblin Legionnaire - after testing him I found the fact that I had to pay for is ability kinda annoying so he didn't get the cut.
    As Vexing Shusher was released, I tested him in the Magus Slot and found him out to be better, as he actually helps against cards that are NOW on the board and does not rely (like Magus) to be played before (for example against TreshTresh...ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh Shusher helps against a resolved Balance, Magus has to resolve before Balance to stop it, which is kinda hard with a cc of 3).
    Removal isn't a big problem either as TreshTreshTreshTresh has often only 4 Removal and Grunt HAS to be answered or he'll gonna rape their Goyfs'n'Gooses.
    After a bit of testing I built the following list:

4 Plateau
    2 Plains
    2 Mountain
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Flooded Strand

4 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Savannah Lion
    3 Isamaru
    4 Keldon Marauders
    3 Jotun Grunt
    4 Vexing Shusher

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Fireblast

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chant
    4 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    3 Disenchant

But as I haven't any Nonbasicshate main any more I want Price of Progress in there. What would you cut? My first Intention was Jet or R.Bolt. What do you think? In addition: What would you change in the side? I don't know if Wheels are good enough to deserve the slots, as Ichorid gets hated by Fanatics and Grunts, too. The only reasonable choice would be because of Loam.decs...
    4 Chants won't make the Combomatchup much better, maybe I should cut Wheels for Chalices/Thorns/Abeyances...

P.S.:

Of course it is possible to splash, but those splashes...suck all a bit as they make the manabase weaker and aren't aggressive.

Black offers discard, Bob, Jailer and Sideboard Vindicates instead of Disenchants.

Green offers Goyf and Teeg against Combo.

Blue offers Stifle and Meddling Mage (both for the Side, and can both get supported by 1 Tundra and/or 1 Volcanic Island, the most interesting splash imo).

Somehow I like the Blue splash...I could easily cut 1 Mountain/Fetchland for 1 Volcanic or so...and then play Stifle/M.Mage or Stifle/Chant in the Side as Combohate.

Please answer me
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    We live in a country were ~50% of the populace believe public schooling is a socialist conspiracy and that being called Einstein is an insult. We could try and fix it, but unfortunately the other 50% don't believe in euthanasia.

Thread Information