SB

2 Jotun Grunt
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Disenchant
    3 Shattering Spree
    3 Engineered Explosives
    3 Vexing Shusher
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I played vs. 43 lands a couple times and basically won off of Pithing Needle and Price of Progress.

I also played vs. multiple Aggro Loam decks and was able to bring in Shattering Spree for Chalice and other items, and usually burn them out.

The only other archetype I played was a UW Aether Vial deck that has pro red creatures against me. I've played around the deck before, but it is always a close matchup. This time, I won with Figure of Destiny(s).

Figure of Destiny was very good all day.

That's all.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Re: [Deck] Boros Deck Wins

Some questions:
    - Why did you choose to cut Fanatics for Lions?
    - I'm still not running Magma Jets. Do you find it to be the weakest card in the burn department or is the scry that useful?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

The list I ran is a direct descendant of the one from the GenCon Legacy event. I never considered Mogg Fanatic. Is it really that great? It kills Bob - helps vs. Dredge?

I really like Magma Jet. I would cut Lightning Helix before I cut Magma Jet. Scrying has always helped either smooth my draws or help me in topdeck mode.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by mhinsz View Post
    The list I ran is a direct descendant of the one from the GenCon Legacy event. I never considered Mogg Fanatic. Is it really that great? It kills Bob - helps vs. Dredge?

I really like Magma Jet. I would cut Lightning Helix before I cut Magma Jet. Scrying has always helped either smooth my draws or help me in topdeck mode.
    Fanatic also helps in fizzling opposing jittes and in pinging the opponent when you can't dominate the combat step. It's also red, which is easier on the mana base. It also pings Lackeys like nothing else and stops Warren Weirding with the help of Legionnaire. It can become food for Grunt/Lavamancer when needed and pings opposing birds. Sometimes it 2 for 1s weenie decks.

I'm having problems with Fireblast. Am I the only one that hates breaking his lands in response to a discard spell? what about putting other kind of burn in its place, like Incinerate, Magma Jet or Rift Bolt?

Pros of Fireblast:
    - Free
    - Uncounterable with CounterBalance outside of kokusho shenanigans.
    - Deals 4. Good as a finisher.
    - Quite good when the opponent tries to wasteland/DD you.
    Cons:
    - Usually can't be hardcasted
    - 2 lands are a lot when we're playing 20/21.
    - Bad as a removal spell for turns 1-3
    - Its use of mana conflicts with Figure of Destiny.
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop

I find Fireblast quite useful.. It is often the last spell you cast - but it can help feed the Grunt or Lavamancer as well. You can usually cast all the spells in your hand before paying for the Fireblast - so it puts you all in.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    I'm having problems with Fireblast. Am I the only one that hates breaking his lands in response to a discard spell? what about putting other kind of burn in its place, like Incinerate, Magma Jet or Rift Bolt?

Pros of Fireblast:
    - Free
    - Uncounterable with CounterBalance outside of kokusho shenanigans.
    - Deals 4. Good as a finisher.
    - Quite good when the opponent tries to wasteland/DD you.
    Cons:
    - Usually can't be hardcasted
    - 2 lands are a lot when we're playing 20/21.
    - Bad as a removal spell for turns 1-3
    - Its use of mana conflicts with Figure of Destiny.
    I consider Fireblast too good not to be run as a 3-off in the deck. Just think of it as a finisher that can be played for free. So you really want to hold onto the card as long as possible which in turn makes the cons you listed negligible for the most part.

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

B-B-B-Bump and grind.

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of playtesting recently, and while I'm routinely dismayed at the lack of a large creature (I've been playing a build that's a bit different than the ones here), I'm rather pleased with the proformance of a wonderful little card called Puncture Blast. While it seems rather lack luster on paper, in my akward agro/ akward board control with fattie finishers/ threshold metagame it's pretty okay. It shrinks Large creatures permanently, lets me block+wither large creatures without taking a 2 for 1 (I'm running a decent bit of first strike creatures), and lets me race Tarmogoyf with a Figure/ a Knight + Isamaru. Or just kill 'Goyf. Whatever he walks into. I certainly know that my friend was rather dismayed when he dropped a Sera Angel (yes, a decent portion of my testing, err... victims? are sub-optimal) and it got turned into a 1/1 for 3WW. It's even more hilarious because he was trying to stabilize against Grim Lavamancer, Isamaru, and Silver Knight, and had a PyroK in hand, but taped out for the Angel. Eh, shit happens, I guess. He ate something like 12 next turn

Also, I'm totatly not missing Fireblast. At all. (if you can't tell it's not in my list atm). I still can't see any reason to run it. I'd rather magma Jet in that slot, if I were to run any additional burn. ofc, my build right now doesn't run an ass-ton of burn/ removal. Just 15 + 3 jitte.
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Puncture blast seems good. However, I'm playing too little first strike critters to make it worth it.

Fireblast is really not the best burn spell actually in the deck and its slot can be reconsidered. I'm actually testing Magma Jet, but it's more utility than pure dmg. Maybe Incinerate works better.

Did anyone test Char and Flame Javelin?
    Or maybe up the number of creatures with Keldon Marauders, that is some sort of burn too?

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

Puncture blast seems good. However, I'm playing too little first strike critters to make it worth it.
    Well, they're a bit nicer with First Strike creatures, but all around Wither is just dandy. Not incredibly, but nice to have a good portion of the time, and make large creatures much less relevant.

Fireblast is really not the best burn spell actually in the deck and its slot can be reconsidered. I'm actually testing Magma Jet, but it's more utility than pure dmg. Maybe Incinerate works better.
    I'm actually considering Magma Jet in the Puncture Blast slots too.

Did anyone test Char and Flame Javelin?
    Or maybe up the number of creatures with Keldon Marauders, that is some sort of burn too?
    iDunno... Keldon Marauders has never struck me as good. Then again, I don't like Jotun Grunt because he doesn't stick around and have been searching for a replacement for a while now. On that note, what do you think of Knight of Meadowgrain? It doesn't feel all that strong to me, but... iDunno. Serra Avenger doesn't sound right, Grunt doesn't feel right, neither does Marauders. I'm really not feeling the Unicorn against most decks. Just the typical CounterBalance decks and whatnot... eh.

I'd consider Flame Javelin, but... Well, it's not as useful as Puncture Blast, and +1 damage doesn't seem worth it. Eh. I'll test it eventually.

Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by raharu View Post
    iDunno... Keldon Marauders has never struck me as good. Then again, I don't like Jotun Grunt because he doesn't stick around and have been searching for a replacement for a while now.
    I tested the deck without Jotun Grunt because I had your exact same feeling and it was plain worse. You just have to look at the card from another point of view. It stucks only for 1/2 turns? than it's a 1W 4-8 dmg bolt in the face, which is not bad. The opponent is unlikely to chumpblock with his critters, knowing it will stuck just for a little. It also worth noting than when it loses its summoning sickness it's usually bigger than Goyf on that turn: usually there's only 1 player that played sorceries.

If your opponent is playing with the graveyard (Goyf or Mongoose, Loam and Crucible, Ichorid, recurring Explosives, Witness etc) than it suddenly becomes a beating and disrupting machine that need some kind of response fast.

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

I tested the deck without Jotun Grunt because I had your exact same feeling and it was plain worse. You just have to look at the card from another point of view. It stucks only for 1/2 turns? than it's a 1W 4-8 dmg bolt in the face, which is not bad. The opponent is unlikely to chumpblock with his critters, knowing it will stuck just for a little. It also worth noting than when it loses its summoning sickness it's usually bigger than Goyf on that turn: usually there's only 1 player that played sorceries.

If your opponent is playing with the graveyard (Goyf or Mongoose, Loam and Crucible, Ichorid, recurring Explosives, Witness etc) than it suddenly becomes a beating and disrupting machine that need some kind of response fast.
    You have a good point, I just feel that there might be something better we're missing. Grunt is good in a solid number of situations, but a big, permenent beater would be nice Grunt is the best out of all things mentioned, though.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

but a big, permenent beater would be nice Grunt is the best out of all things mentioned, though.
    Unfortunately, they still haven't printed a RW big dude with cc <=2 Maybe someday Wizards will print a Borogoyf.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Hey all. I brought a very budget Boros sligh to the latest DHG Legacy 500. I scrubbed out of the main event, but won a Goyf in the side event, mostly off of savage lucksackery. That being said, it wasn't all luck.

List (as best as I can remember):
    1 Plateau
    3 Sacred Foundry
    7 Snow-Covered Mountains
    6 Snow Covered Plains

4 Figure of Destiny
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    1 Isamaru
    1 Savannah Lions
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    3 Ronom Unicorn
    2 Jotun Grunt
    2 Duergar Hedge Mage

4 Magma Jet
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lightning Helix
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Test of Faith
    3 Price of Progress
    3 Aether Vial

SB:
    4 REB
    4 Shattering Spree
    1 Jotun Grunt
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Price of Progress

Card choice/number explanations:

-1 Plateau - borrowed from a friend who only owned one
    -3 Sacred Foundry - see Plateau
    -Snow-Covered Basics - decklist was in flux until last minute. I had briefly considered Skred. Thank the gods for that not happening.
    -1 Isamaru - only own 1
    -1 Savannah Lions - dropped 1 to fit Isamaru
    -2 Grim Lavamancer - only own 2
    -3 Ronom Unicorn - this deck curves out at 2, really with only 2 cards at 3. Thus, Counterbalance hate MD is a must.
    -2 Jotun Grunt - I'd play more of them if I was really fearing Threshold, but I wasn't
    -2 Duergar Hedge Mage - Last minute add. More CB hate, and I knew the Massachusetts contingent was coming, inevitably packing Stifle-nought
    -2 Test of Faith - experimental anti-goyf tech. Never got to play it vs a Goyf. Frown town. But the one time it hit play, it was a threat. Even so, EVERY SINGLE TIME it was in my hand, I wished it was a Fireblast.
    -3 Price of Progress - Three is definitely the correct number for my deck, but in a better version, I'd say go to 2 to fit in Fireblast.

Notes:
    -Figure of Destiny rox my sox
    -Grunt MD is the way to go. He is our boro-goyf.
    -Magma Jet is hot
    -Lightning Helix is not. Lifegain never mattered. I wish it was Chain Lightning, but I don't own any.
    -Ronom Unicorn does it's job, and does it well. It's a must-counter card if they're smart, and a beatstick + on-demand awesome if they're not. It's in the MD as CB hate, but as a serendipitous side effect, it gives me a much better Survival matchup.
    -Hedge Mage is decent, but I played a lot of land (no fetches). I'd be able to tell you more if I drew it more often/my deck didn't screw me over in the main event.
    -Shattering Spree, while beating Chalice, should probably be Hearth Kami. I say this given the lesson taught by the Unicorn. If you're in a Stompy (Tomb/City -> Chalice) environment, then Spree definitely wins out.
    -I witnessed Blood Moon own someone's face. It was hawt-secks tek.

If I could do it all again, with a decent Legacy card pool, it would look like this:

2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Windswept Heath
    4 Plateau
    5 Snow-covered Plains
    5 Snow-covered Mountain

4 Figure of Destiny
    4 Fanatic
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Isamaru
    3 Ronom Unicorn
    2 Jotun Grunt
    2 Duergar Hedge Mage

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 PoP
    2 Fireblast
    3 Aether Vial

SB:
    4 Hearth Kami
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Orim's Chant
    2 Pithing Needle (I'm considering swapping this for Blood Moon)
    1 Ronom Unicorn
    1 Jotun Grunt
    Last edited by Mirrislegend; 09-15-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    -Magma Jet is hot
    -Lightning Helix is not. Lifegain never mattered. I wish it was Chain Lightning, but I don't own any.
    Wat? I've always been happy to see Lightning Helix, and wouldn't consider replacing it with Chain Lightning. Instant Speed + Lifegain (which is a little bit more important in a build with fetchies and whatnot) makes life easier and makes race situations much more comfortable.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Aren't 17 lands too little? Vial doesn't seem to fit the theme of the deck much: it just sets you back by a turn to make things uncounterable. 17 lands seems really little, even with vial. Also, with 17 lands Fireblast kinda sucks.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

After game one, this deck often played out like aggro-control, surprisingly enough. Put pressure on the board, and then answer their threats. In order for this strategy to work, I need my Unicorns, Kamis, Grunts, and Figures to be uncounterable, because they were/would be the MVPs and game-breakers in the respective matchups.

And yes, 17 lands may be too few to support Fireblast, but man that number worked so nicely! And I tended to have the 2 Mountains to spare in the endgame, and still managed to get flooded once or twice, so 17 seems to work for me. Also, keep in mind that much of the choice on lands was relative to my cardpool, which is basically non-existant.
    Last edited by Mirrislegend; 09-15-2008 at 12:11 PM.
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"

Elesh Norin Markov, Wary Vampiric Cenobite
    Feb 2007
    Hobart, New York

I am inclined to agree with you, and point out that the marauders are the same. If they hit the board, thats two damage for two, plus either a dead creature or three more damage in most scenarios. I run this deck and R/g Sligh, and every time I pull a Keldon Marauders in either, I rejoice. Especially Sligh
    "Oho! I have deluded you! For I am a clever trickster, and this is not actually the truth!"
    -Doug Beyer
    You should probably work for Wizards. Making Chaos Orb and Falling Star into evergreen keywords, maing Hellbent. srsly.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan View Post
    I run this deck and R/g Sligh, and every time I pull a Keldon Marauders in either, I rejoice
    Marauders in Boros? I must admit, my curiosity is piqued. Care to share your list?
    <System> Player Lost

I have been playing some version of sligh for around 10 years and here are my thoughts. First, my list:

3 x windswept heath
    2 x flooded strand
    3 x bloodstain mire
    2 x wooded foothills
    4 x plateau
    3 x mountain
    2 x plains

4 x mogg fanatic
    4 x isamaru, hound of konda
    4 x keldon maruader
    4 x jotun grunt
    3 x duergar hedge mage

4 x fireblast
    4 x magma jet
    4 x lightning bolt
    4 x chain lightning
    2 x price of progress
    4 x lightning helix

sb:

4 x orims chant
    3 x disenchant
    3 x pyroclasm
    3 x abeyance
    2 x price of progress

Boros is basically a sligh deck with white splash IMO. I chose to play 4 jotun grunts because I believe the basic concept of sligh is to throw down early beaters with burn back up. He will almost always be as strong as tarmogoyf early game/mid game with the added bonus of reducing tarmogoyf power/toughness, helping in the ichorid matchup, helping in the agro loam matchup, ill-gotten gains combo matchups, and random reanimators. Tarmogoyf does none of these. With 10 fetches and the 12 disposable creatures I have never experienced the need to let one go unless it was time to drop another.

The second choice that is different from the gencon list is putting keldon marauders in the goblin legionaire spot. I believe the advantage of three power over two is too great to let slide in the goblins or affinity matchup. Goblin legionaire costs three mana to get the 2 damage out of and marauders is free. I realize you can not target a creature but you should have burn in hand to take care of that and will be able to swing for the three with marauders with them taking the extra two for free from the CIP ability.

I chose mogg fanatic over savanah lions because you can always get one damage out of him even if he is just a speed bump for a tarmogoyf which savanah lions generally become outside of turn 2-3.

As far as duergar hedge mage is concerned, he ROCKS. I have never had a matchup that he sucked. Yes, in a few matchups he is a vanilla 2/2 but very few top decks don't utilize an enchantment or artifact. I destroys top/counterbalance in one fell swoop and gives you a beatstick, WOW. He can knock out that chalice for one/two. He can drop deed, two for ones in affinity, takes out vial against gobbos, and eats jittes all day long. Says bye bye to survival and vial at the same time. He is just very good.

Lightning helix helps against burn and other aggro decks making it superior to the rift bolt slot that it would take up in tarmosligh.

To the board:

The major reason I like white sligh splash is its ability to combat combo in games 2/3. Orims chant and the possibility of using abeyance while burning out your oppenent is awesome. I think it is worth looking at as a way not to punt to combo.

well I have have piloted this list to the top of many a small legacy event (20-30 people) every week and thought I would share my findings. I am open to criticism or discussion of card selection. Thanks!

Well I've been working on this in my more casual play group and I may choose to tweak it for a weekly legacy tournament. As always the list then discussion :P

Boros Tech.deck

Spells- 20
    4x Swords
    4x Reprisal
    3x Shelter
    3x Pyroclasm
    3x Abolish
    3x Price Of progress

Creatures- 18
    4x Weathered wayfarer
    4x Savannah lion
    4x Soltari Priest
    3x Jotun grunt
    3x Figure of destiny

Land- 22
    12x Plains
    4x Secluded Stepp
    3x Mountain
    1x BattleField Forge
    1x Safe Haven
    1x Besiju, who shelters all

Sideboard-15
    4x Tormod's Crypt
    4x Abeyance
    4x Orim's chant
    1x Jotun grunt
    1x Abolish
    1x Maze of ith

Well I built this list in response to the increase in weenie decks in both my casual group and the local shop in general. This version basically sacrifices pure speed for being better against a wider range of decks.. Wayfarer fetches the tech I need in any given situation whether that happens to be uncounterability, protection from board sweepers, or just straight card advantage. The decks main strength is its ability to answer anything but combo game one (if they don't go empty the warrens which happens alot) while also providing a decent clock and producing card advantage all at once. This is the only aggro deck I've never lost to landstill with that alone makes me love it uncounterable price of progress = mad tech versus metagame. The sideboard was just thrown together as I think of taking this thing to the tournament friday, I realize pyroclasm should be in the board instead of maindeck but I get alot of elves/merfolk/goblins around and not losing to them game 1 is nice. Guess ill file that under metagame slot?

Anyway anyone got thoughts/comments on the deck?

Thread Information