Thread: Sudden Spoiling w.r.t. abilities

Sudden Spoiling w.r.t. abilities

Hi again !

My question is about the interaction of [card]Sudden Spoiling[/card] with respect to abilities.

The values of an object's characteristics are determined by starting with the actual object, then applying continuous effects in a series of layers in the following order: (1) copy effects (see rule 503, "Copying Objects"); (2) control-changing effects; (3) text-changing effects; (4) type-changing effects (which includes effects that change an object's card type, subtype, and/or supertype); (5) all other continuous effects, except those that change power and/or toughness; and (6) power- and/or toughness-changing effects.
    Inside each layer from 1 through 5, apply effects from characteristic-defining abilities first, then all other effects in timestamp order.
    1)Do you have an example for a continuous effect from (5) that belongs to those other effects (i.e. is no effect from a characteristic-defining ability)
    (cf. last sentence above) ?

2)Does it matter if abilities in (5) are granted by a static ability compared
    to a one-shot effect ( i suspect: no) ?

3)Also, here http://www.starcitygames.com/pages/j...k+The+Judge%21
    i don't understand answer 3 . Why is the token still indestructible ?

Thanks alot !!!

Update:
    If I understand the guys from EFNET->#mtgjudge the answers are:
    1)the only characteristic defining abilities are "cardname is COLOR", "power and toughness- setting", "cardname is a certain type" (my interpretation).
    2)no
    3)Apparently the difference is that the ability from Shield of Kaldra does not grant the ability "indestructible" but is an ability from Shield of Kaldra.

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

Re: Sudden Spoiling w.r.t. abilities

The Shield of Kaldra is granting is indestructability, so since the Shield is still equipped, it is still indestructable. Sudden Spoiling gets rid of all abilities, but I believe equipment and auras are applied in a later layer of something
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

1)
    405.2. Some objects have intrinsic static abilities that define the object's colors, subtypes, power, or toughness. These abilities are characteristic-defining abilities, and they function in all zones. Abilities of an object that affect the characteristics of another object are not characteristic-defining abilities. Neither are abilities that an object grants to itself, or abilities that set the values of such characteristics only if certain conditions are met. See rule 201, "Characteristics," and rule 418.5a.
    The majority of effects fall under layer (5). Color, subtypes, power, or toughness are the only CDAs, subject to the restrictions above.

2)
    All effects are equal. The source does not matter.

3)
    Shield of Kaldra 4
    Legendary Artifact - Equipment
    Equip {4}.
    Equipment named Sword of Kaldra, Shield of Kaldra, and Helm of Kaldra are indestructible.
    Equipped creature is indestructible.
    Indestructible: If a permanent is indestructible, rules and effects can't destroy it. Such permanents are not destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the lethal-damage state-based effect (see rule 420.5c). Rules or effects may cause an indestructible permanent to be sacrificed, put into a graveyard, or removed from the game.
    Shield is a special case.

Note that indestructable is not by itself an ability - it's one of the rules words where just the english meaning of the word is used.

Also note Shield does not say "Equipped creature has '~this~ is indestructable'.", so it is not granting an ability.

Because of this, there's no ability there for Sudden Spoiling to remove. The creature just happens to not be able to be destroyed. This sort of thing doesn't happen very often - it can only be done with an external effect applying an english-meaning rules word to an object.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Does an Undead Warchief lose the "Zombie Creatures you control get +2/+1" ?
    I guess yes (it should be a static ability, right ?).

Edit: Thanks
    Last edited by Zuriya; 11-01-2007 at 07:23 AM.

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

correct
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

402.1. An ability is text on an object that's not reminder text or flavor text (see rule 400.1).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information