Thread: Caller of the Claw +2 E-Plague naming Elf

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Caller of the Claw +2 E-Plague naming Elf

I have Vial in play (counters=3), an Eladamri, Imperious Perfect, and Elvish Spirit Guide. The second Plague is played by my opponent, my creatures die and I vial in Caller of the Claw at EOT.

My question is this.... since CotC has a come into play trigger, and it dies before the ability resolves, do I get 3 or 4 Bear tokens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Re: Caller of the Claw +2 E-Plague naming Elf

As far as I can tell, the ability checks for the number of creatures put into the yard when it resolves, so it would give you another token for the Caller, too. Of course, I looked at the comp rules (Rule 408-410, if anyone's interested), and I really couldn't find any specific information either way (there was the section on the intervening if clause, but I don't think that specifically applies here).

Can I get confirmation on this?

edit- To clarify, I believe it would happen like this:

1. You Vial in the Caller.
    2. The Caller's ability triggers during the resolution of the Vial ability
    3. After the Vial ability finishes resolving, the active player recieves priority, and at this time State Based Effects are checked and the triggered ability is put onto the stack. Caller is put into the graveyard as part of a state based effect.
    4. After both players are given a chance to play spells and abilities, the Caller's triggered ability resolves, and looks to see how many nontoken creatures were put into the yard this turn. It sees Eladamri, the Perfect, the ESG, and the Caller that just went to the yard. Accordingly, it gives you 4 tokens, not 3.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

You should get 4 tokens, just like Pinder said. The ability goes on the stack, but the number is only checked when the ability resolves.

413.2f. If an effect requires information from the game (such as the number of creatures in play), the answer is determined only once, when the effect is applied. If the effect requires information from a specific object, including the source of the ability itself, the effect uses the current information of that object if it hasn't changed zones; otherwise, the effect uses the last known information the object had before leaving the zone it was expected to be in. There are two exceptions: (1) if an effect deals damage divided among some number of creatures or players, the amount and division were determined as the spell or ability was put into the stack (see rule 402.6), and (2) static abilities can't use last known information (see rule 412.5). If the ability text states that an object does something, it's the object as it exists-or as it most recently existed-that does it, not the ability.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

When Caller of the Claw comes into play, put a 2/2 green Bear creature token into play for each nontoken creature put into your graveyard from play this turn.
    This checks on resolution, which is the default setting. If it did not, it would be explicitly stated (compare to the wording of the Storm triggers).
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

4 bears, what i was hoping for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Thread Information