Thread: Cephalid Breakfast questions

Cephalid Breakfast questions

Hi, I've just started playing Cephalid Breakfast (cos it's good!) but there are a couple of fine details I'm not sure about.

1) Sutured Ghoul has reminder text on the card which states (a * on a card not in play is 0). When was this rule changed? What's the relevant rule from the official rules? It's a pain in the arse trying to play a card in a casual games with incorrect rules printed on it.

2) Sutured Ghoul's ability states 'As Sutured Ghoul comes into play...' Is this a triggered ability? If so, can it be Stifled? If not what is it?

3) If I have a Dragon Breath in my graveyard, does the complete 'As Sutured Ghoul comes into play...' ability trigger and resolve before Dragon Breath's triggered ability? Essentially what I'm trying to figure out here is: can I get a dual use out of Dragon Breath, so it pumps a Tarmogoyf at the time I remove it from game for the Ghoul, and still have the Breath come into play enchanting the Ghoul?

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.londes.com/?id=1429
    +4 Remand
    +4 Rune Snag
    +3 Spell Snare
    -4 Force of Will
    -3 Daze
    -3 Stifle

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: cephalid breakfast questions

2) Nope - "as" means immediately and the ability doesn't go on the stack. Otherwise, the Ghoul would die because it would be a 0/0 while the trigger is on the stack.

3) Once the Breath leaves the graveyard, the P/T of Tarmogofy will chance, no matter in which zone it is. Following this, the power of your Ghoul will also change.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Re: cephalid breakfast questions

To answer question 1, a * has whatever value it is set to in all zones now. So Tarmogoyf does in fact stay big in the RFG (and graveyard, and even your hand!) the relevant rule:

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Rulez
    405.2. Some objects have intrinsic static abilities that define the object's colors, subtypes, power, or toughness. These abilities are characteristic-defining abilities, and they function in all zones.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Re: Cephalid Breakfast questions

Quote Originally Posted by shteev View Post
    Hi, I've just started playing Cephalid Breakfast (cos it's good!) but there are a couple of fine details I'm not sure about.

1) Sutured Ghoul has reminder text on the card which states (a * on a card not in play is 0). When was this rule changed? What's the relevant rule from the official rules? It's a pain in the arse trying to play a card in a casual games with incorrect rules printed on it.
    I'm not sure when it was changed, but here's the rule:

208.2. Some creature cards have power and/or toughness represented by a * instead of a number. The object has a characteristic-defining ability that sets its power and/or toughness according to some stated condition. This ability functions in all zones. If the ability needs to use a number that can’t be determined, use 0 instead of that number.
    The last part is important if you remove something with Sutured Ghoul, and then it moves to a different zone. If Sutured Ghoul comes into play and removes a single Tarmogoyf, and then you Living Wish for that Tarmogoyf, Ghoul will die.

2) Sutured Ghoul's ability states 'As Sutured Ghoul comes into play...' Is this a triggered ability? If so, can it be Stifled? If not what is it?

As Barook already answered, no, it is not a triggered ability. Those always begin with When, Whenever, or At. It's a static ability.

3) If I have a Dragon Breath in my graveyard, does the complete 'As Sutured Ghoul comes into play...' ability trigger and resolve before Dragon Breath's triggered ability? Essentially what I'm trying to figure out here is: can I get a dual use out of Dragon Breath, so it pumps a Tarmogoyf at the time I remove it from game for the Ghoul, and still have the Breath come into play enchanting the Ghoul?
    The static ability that sets Sutured Ghoul's P/T does not trigger or resolve. It doesn't use the stack at all. To answer your question, yes, but not the way you want. Dragon Breath will be in the graveyard when Tarmogoyf is removed from the game, and he will count for 6 power for the Ghoul. Then the Dragon Breath's trigger will resolve, it will attach to the Ghoul and, assuming there are no more enchantments in any graveyards, Ghoul will get smaller. Be careful about removing all of your creatures as well, unless your opponent has some in his yard. This happens because Tarmogoyf is constantly checking his P/T, even when in the RFG Zone. Sutured Ghoul is constantly referring to the P/T of the creatures he removed from the game (as long as they stay in the RFG zone.)

Thread Information