Page 3 of 144 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Ancient Tomb Junkie
    Nov 2005
    Holbæk, Denmark

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

This is my first post on the source, but ive been a long time "lurker" on theese boards. I just played Dragon Stompy at the Danish Legacy Nationals, It wasn't the first time ive played the deck, earlier same year I lost in the final at a smaller tournament (23 players).

I played the following deck list at the tournament featuring 97 players if I remember correctly:

Alex Preuss

// Lands
    10 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

// Creatures
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    2 Razormane Masticore
    2 Arc-Slogger

// Spells
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Seething Song
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Blood Moon

sb:
    1x Earthquake
    2x Rolling Earthquake
    2x Blood Moon
    3x Pithing Needle
    3x Powder Keg
    4x Tormod's Crypt

Last year I piloted Angel Stompy in to the top 4 but this year I felt that the change of the Danish Metagame called for something different so I searched the boards and looked at my old lists and came op with this deck to combat the rising popularity of dual lands and 3 color decks.
    My list was very close to the lists on this page so I found the last pieces of tech I needed (mainly blood moon main and the pithing needles on the board).

I won the first three rounds against 4 color Landstill, Cephalid Breakfast and Threshold only to loose to 4 color Landstill (my manabase screwed me game 1 and he drew 5 counters and his 3 sideboard goyfs in game nr. 2). That just shows how you can loose a favorable match-up when your opponent draws everything he needs.
    I then lost to Wee Dragonauts deck with alot of red dmg spells (I never drew Chalice in the 2 games we played). Won vs. sligh/burn and got destroyed by my friend playing welder survival, he went on to loose in the semifinals.

Survival is really a difficult match-up especially against the welder list, I had trouble getting both chalice and needles and he had birds + forests everytime to use his survival.

Anyways ill keep playing this deck because it's really fun to play and it kicks ass, it destroys all the strong decks being played here (Landstill, Thresh, Storm Combo and Fish).

- purlqg/Alex

Hi, I'm new here, but I really like this deck, and I'm thinking of building it myself.

But how does it preform against meathooks (countersliver) and angelstaxx?? because they frequently show up in my local meta...

Anyways keep up the good work.

Greetzzz,
    Robin.

EDIT: How about Char in this deck? Kills creatures, kills players and pitches to Mox (maybe to riders but every card can do that).
    I just thought sins feary stompy is playing psionic blast this might turn out okay...

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by overseer1234 View Post
    But how does it preform against meathooks (countersliver) and angelstaxx?? because they frequently show up in my local meta...
    Depends on the builds of both decks in both cases.

Moon is a godsend against Countersliver, especially the 4C versions, as this will not only cause them greater manabase problems but give them a harder time abusing Hibernation Sliver. Chalice for 1 is the better play against builds with Vial, but if you are sure they aren't running it, Chalice for 2. Pyroclasm's pretty good as long as they don't get double pumpers.

However, If you expect a lot of Countersliver, both Rolling Earthquake and Powder Keg are the real monsters in this matchup. Either one can win you a game, so they're worth running in a Sliver-packed metagame. Other than that, try to get your big guys online before they get theirs, equip up, and cruise on.

Angel Stax is a bizarre match, as you both run dead cards. If you play first, Chalice for 0, and get a Moon down at all costs to save you from Wasteland and Factory and crap like that. Your main strategy beyond that is to get a single giant threat down and ride him to victory at all costs. Slogger can rock Magus of the Tabernacle or Exalted Angel once, and Gathan Raiders equipped can outrace Exalted.

The bright side of this matchup is that although nothing in your sideboard hurts them (Unless you run Ingot Chewer, which is a neat little metagame call), they don't generally run anything in sideboard that hurts you much either, sans possibly Suppression Field to hurt your pumpers. Kill Trinisphere and Chalice and bring in Needle for Factory/Wasteland (They'll usually board out Chalices if they have a brain at all).

They will try to Geddon you. Repeatedly. Get a single big threat out and hold back a Tomb or City to pay for Ghostly Prison, and a Mox to pay for Magus helps greatly also.

Originally I theorized Angel Stax to be a bad matchup, but they might be the only deck in existence that's less consistent than you, and you can do awesome things with a fast threat (You'll usually win off a turn one Slogger, though not always) so it's been about even so far. I'm going to test more extensively against my Stax teammate, so I'll let you know more as it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

I wanted to hop in quickly and point out to the Dragon Stompy fans a recent top 8 appearance in Germany.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I just had the chance to look at Mindless Automaton. Seems really good. Late game, gives hellbent and allows the deck to draw cards. Anyone test this as a 2-4 of?

May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    I wanted to hop in quickly and point out to the Dragon Stompy fans a recent top 8 appearance in Germany.
    I saw that list. Pretty interesting. I still think Winter Orb's a bad idea in sideboard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    I just had the chance to look at Mindless Automaton. Seems really good. Late game, gives hellbent and allows the deck to draw cards. Anyone test this as a 2-4 of?
    I think 2 would be the max, and I think it's a case of too much for too little. Granted, this thing is capable of getting huge and refilling your hand by at least a single card if he gets nailed, but do you really want this guy over, say, Juggernaut? This guy's a 2/2 with a lot of small cute tricks. Juggernaut beats for 5, no questions asked. And Juggie's slot is arguable.

However, there are times when this guy has a lot of use. He was an absolute behemother in a preboard game I played against UG Thresh, where I got him out just before my manabase got wrecked and pumped enough cards in him over time to make him clobber for 11.

Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Well, I doubt your opponent will think he is cute when he is making himself huge and also all those Raiders. Oh yeah, he gives the dragon double strike. I think I will replace the Razorcores with these and test it out.

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

I already commented about my 7th place finish in Speyer one page ago
    So just a few additional thoughts after more testing. Mindless Automaton is definitely better in this specific deck than Razormane Masticore. However so is Sulfur Elemental. Juggernaut is sometimes weaker and sometimes stronger, always depending on whether you need another fattie or just another threat. Generally Sulfur Elemental and Juggernaut have about the same vulnerability once they are on the board however Elemental also can't be countered and is therefore more reliable. Juggernaut makes up for that with his 5 power but aside from that he does not have any more potential.
    Comparing Automaton to them is hard as it fills a completely different role and significantly changes how you play the deck when it enters the board as you have to decide every single turn whether you want to pump it or not.

Oh, and the Winter Orbs are out of the board for now ;)

edit: Would it be possible to run 10 snow-covered Mountains and include Phyrexian Ironfoot? I'm trying to find possible inclusions for an aggro metagame full of Goblins, Elves and Zoo. There are also some WW players. Generally this should not be a problem with Sulfur Elementals but they do run Glorious Anthem etc. Any thoughts on what the best configuration for such a metagame is?
    Last edited by Silverdragon; 11-23-2007 at 05:29 AM.
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Silverdragon View Post
    I already commented about my 7th place finish in Speyer one page ago
    Oh right. I didn't realize that was you. I thought that list looked familiar. DurdurTaco.

Would it be possible to run 10 snow-covered Mountains and include Phyrexian Ironfoot? I'm trying to find possible inclusions for an aggro metagame full of Goblins, Elves and Zoo. There are also some WW players. Generally this should not be a problem with Sulfur Elementals but they do run Glorious Anthem etc. Any thoughts on what the best configuration for such a metagame is?
    In that metagame, stick Flametongue Kavu back in, for the love of god. FTK would absolutely own in that metagame.

As far as the WW players, Razormane's the best guy to deal with that deck ever if they run Silver Knight (If not, FTK again), but also look into Powder Keg as an alternate Silver Knight / small weenie solution.

I don't like Ironfoot. He hogs mana just to be a 3/4, which isn't worth it. I'd rather have Sulfur Elemental despite the 2 loss in toughness as it's easier on your manabase and imprints on a Mox.

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    FTK would absolutely own in that metagame.
    Whoops, brainfart on my part. Of course FTK is sick in that meta. Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I'm trying to think too far out of the box XD
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

With all the talk of making sure you discard enough to get to Hellbent, has anyone tried Avatar of Discord? For RRR and double discard you get a 5/3 flyer.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

RRR is hard to get :(

Master Grim Reaper
    Jan 2007

I was trying to fit Chandra Naalar in the deck,a first turn seething song+chandra and pinging opponent for 1 first turn and then smashing him and his beasts for 10 next turn was beautiful sometimes,but it's consistency is a problem.
    What do you think?Too much "danger of cool things" stuff?
    Team Calavera - Giving Opponents Free Travels Packages to the Underworld since 2007

May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Xurcks View Post
    I was trying to fit Chandra Naalar in the deck,a first turn seething song+chandra and pinging opponent for 1 first turn and then smashing him and his beasts for 10 next turn was beautiful sometimes,but it's consistency is a problem.
    What do you think?Too much "danger of cool things" stuff?
    I think it's a possibility provided you stick to using Chandra in a removal spell's slot rather than a threat's slot.

I will say this, however. Chandra Nalaar gives you a game against Enchantress you don't have otherwise. That Chandra-Inferno can melt Argothian Enchantress if you get it out fast enough, which gives you a fighting chance if they don't hit too many Presences.

Master Grim Reaper
    Jan 2007

I thought about this too...her board clearing ability may help against some matchups like enchantress and she even kills big goyfs xD,but what could go out so she can get a place in the deck?
    Team Calavera - Giving Opponents Free Travels Packages to the Underworld since 2007

Graphics are in my mind.
    Dec 2006

I tested her for about two weeks as both a 2 and 3 of, and honestly she was underwhelming.

She clogs up the 5c slot, so she sat dead in more than a few games, and if you are in a bad position (opponent has threats), she doesn't help at all. She is far too reliant on getting out early and is not a signifigant threat. I'd rather run some real removal.

As for automaton, I'd like to try him, but I have a feeling he might beef up just a little too slowly.
    Red Wizard needs food badly!

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

I've been testing this deck on MWS for about 2 weeks, and I finally went out and bought it. Anyway, I'm putting it together right now, but I discovered I don't have Juggernauts. In their place, I'm running Ingot Chewer. It seems really strong against Stax and Goblins. Goblins give DS some problems, and Stax I would imagine (haven't tested against it) does also. Any thoughts?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Huh? Who plays Juggernaut?

Stax may, or may not be a good match up for Dragon Stompy.

I've played some games from both sides and found that resolved fat can be a problem, Arc-Slogger is the biggest threat. This is especially true for red Stax, whose only sweepers are quakes, Pyroclasms, and maybe Wildfires. White and black Stax have Damn + Wrath to deal with fat people.

Conversely, the mana denial can hurt. Early Wastelands, Wildfires, Smokestacks, and Armageddons combined with Chalice at zero can halt Dragon Stompy in its tracks. Often the mana denial will be just enough for you to not be able to pay for Ghostly Prisons to attack. Even worse, they could be running Ensnaring Bridge, which can easily shut down even the cheapest of your creatures. Arc-Slogger can win though this, making him a valuable asset, assuming you have the mana.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    In their place, I'm running Ingot Chewer.
    Don't run maindeck Ingot Chewer. I can't imagine more Anti-Synergy between wanting to cast or evoke it to get hellbent and not wanting to cast it because you would have to destroy your own Jitte.

Thread Information