Thread: Uba Mask vs Words Enchantments

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Uba Mask vs Words Enchantments

I was playing GreenOne at MWS, where I was playing Stax vs Enchantress. I wanted to cut of his drawing engine with Uba Mask, but he had a Words of War in play.

We ruled at that time he got to choose whether he wanted to remove his cards from the game, or deal damage with the Words of War.

Now I think this is correct, but I wonder if this is also how the official ruling is. Could someone confirm the rules work this way?
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

~Kirei sora no Kuraiyami~

Jun 2007

Re: Uba Mask vs Words Enchantments

I just know that when two replacement effects replaces a draw/event, the player being affected get to choose which one to go first.

Does these rulings help?

Quote Originally Posted by Comprehensive Ruling
    419.6a A replacement effect doesn’t invoke itself repeatedly and gets only one opportunity for each event.
    Example: A player controls two permanents, each with an ability that reads “If a creature you control would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals double that damage to that creature or player instead.” A creature that normally deals 2 damage will deal 8 damage—not just 4, and not an infinite amount.

419.6h Some effects replace card draws. These effects are applied even if no cards could be drawn because there are no cards in the affected player’s library. If an effect replaces a draw within a sequence of card draws, all actions required by the replacement are completed, if possible, before resuming the sequence. If an effect would have a player both draw a card and perform an additional action on that card, and the draw is replaced, the additional action is not performed on any cards that are drawn as a result of that replacement effect.

ClearSkies got it. Here's the rule:

419.9a. If two or more replacement or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object's controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply. Then the other effect applies if it is still appropriate. If one or more of the applicable replacement effects is a self-replacement effect (see rule 419.6d), that effect is applied before any other replacement effects. If two or more players have to make these choices at the same time, choices are made in APNAP order (see rule 103.4).

Example: Two permanents are in play. One is an enchantment that reads "If a card would be put into a graveyard, instead remove it from the game," and the other is a creature that reads "If [this creature] would be put into a graveyard from play, instead shuffle it into its owner's library." The controller of the creature that would be destroyed decides which replacement to apply first; the other does nothing.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Ok, thanks. That's what I was looking for.

I already thought it worked that way, but it's always nice to get conformation you're right :)
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Thread Information