Thread: 20 minute extra turn?

Nov 2006
    Switzerland

20 minute extra turn?

Hey there,

Is it a problem if one of your extra turns in a tourney takes about 20 minutes? I just had a looong 3rd game on mws with solidarity and just thought this may leads to problems with the judges if I combo off in an extra turn (and can't end it quickly), am I wrong?

Thanks
    More cheese = more holes ; More holes = less cheese ; More cheese = less cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Bohny feat. Ovid
    Two-Headed Giant is similar to sex - if your partner is bad you need a good hand...

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Re: 20 minute extra turn?

As long as you're not stalling the game (e.g. thinking for 10 minutes on what to put back with Brainstorm), it's fine... As long as it's in the natural course of the game.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by kicks_422 View Post
    As long as you're not stalling the game (e.g. thinking for 10 minutes on what to put back with Brainstorm), it's fine... As long as it's in the natural course of the game.
    Extra turns are untimed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

I have a hard time believeing you spent twenty minutes on one turn and weren't playing slowly. Extra turns are technically not timed, but Slow Play and Stalling rules still apply.

It's very important to realize the difference between Stalling and Slow Play. Stalling is intentionally playing slowly and is cheating, while Slow Play is unintentionally playing too slowly to move the game forwards at a reasonable pace.

I don't know what pace you were playing at, but most likely it was too slow.

133. Tournament Error — Slow Play
    Definition
    Players who take longer than is reasonably required to complete game actions are engaging in Slow Play. If a judge believes a player is intentionally playing slowly to take advantage of a time limit, a Cheating — Stalling infractionshould be used instead.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information